Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

purestrain jigglin'
JIGGLED AGAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

bump_fn posted:

what are ppls experience w the two sizes of ipads pro (keep in mind im not the one payin g forit

i used my 10.5 with smart keyboard as my only computer for six weeks, after i returned the macbook my previous employer gave me
now i have a new dell xps 13 and wish i could go back to using my ipad as my only computer except it should be the 12.9 inch pro

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my experience with the ipad pro is that it is a shameful compromise product that shouldn't exist but does exist due to tim's constant triangulation

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
same but stymies posts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bought a 10.5 and I really like it, I don't bother with the keyboard but overall it's a good tablet. I'm sure the 12 is better for drawing but as a couch and travelputer I'm happy with the 10.5

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ipad pro is a near-perfect Parent Computer. despite being obsessed with the 15" mbp i got her, mom got my dad a lovely dell preloaded with crapware because "the learning curve on macs is too hard." so i got him the ol 9.7" ipad pro on deep discount off craiglist, got a smart keyboard and apple pencil off ebay too. he loves it. he barely ever takes the laptop out anymore. on windows his work makes him VNC into his desktop in the office which is obviously lovely and laggy for day to day use, but theyre fine with him using an ipad. his work setup is creating an edge case here but in general i think the ipad pro w keyboard is a perfect solution for Olds. like many olds he does hunt and peck anyway so the smart keyboard is only marginally useful tbh.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

however he isnt using the apple pencil bc the pdf/document editing/annotating workflow is not straightforward at all

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

akadajet posted:

I run all this poo poo all of the time on my 2015 macbook and it's fine.

I got the 2018 one which might be the problem

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

itunes in windows would 100% peg one cpu core forever on two different computers of mine and nothing fixed it. this was going on for 3+ years until a recent update so i guess itunes is getting better?

mate I cant believe you left it running for 3 years

pram
Jun 10, 2001

classic

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ipad pro is a near-perfect Parent Computer. despite being obsessed with the 15" mbp i got her, mom got my dad a lovely dell preloaded with crapware because "the learning curve on macs is too hard." so i got him the ol 9.7" ipad pro on deep discount off craiglist, got a smart keyboard and apple pencil off ebay too. he loves it. he barely ever takes the laptop out anymore. on windows his work makes him VNC into his desktop in the office which is obviously lovely and laggy for day to day use, but theyre fine with him using an ipad. his work setup is creating an edge case here but in general i think the ipad pro w keyboard is a perfect solution for Olds. like many olds he does hunt and peck anyway so the smart keyboard is only marginally useful tbh.

my dad has been on an ipad 2 for years (due for an upgrade but it is a battle) and after a year or so he just stopped using the keyboard case and learned to use the screen keyboard just so it was easier to travel with. he still struggles with his terrible windows laptop but he is a wiz with the ipad and he uses it for everything esp since its the 3g model. it makes me oddly proud that he crafted a really slim mobile workflow for day to day work :allears:

echinopsis posted:

mate I cant believe you left it running for 3 years

literal lol

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
are mbps still the hassle-free-est of high-end laptops

because its replacement time for me and im seeing a lot of complaining about keyboards. can't tell if it's more complaining than about alternatives though

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 2, 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://theoutline.com/post/4277/dont-buy-the-new-macbook-pros-even-on-sale-in-my-opinion?zd=1&zi=tquimzdo

quote:

A few months ago, I wrote about how my one-year-old MacBook Pro's keyboard keys stopped working if a single piece of dust slipped under there, and more importantly, that neither Apple nor its Geniuses would acknowledge that this was actually a problem. Today, Best Buy announced it is having a significant sale on these computers, marking them hundreds of dollars off. Interesting. Still, I’d suggest you do not buy them.

Since I wrote about my experience, many have asked me what happened with the new top half of the computer that the Apple Geniuses installed, with its pristine keyboard and maybe-different key switches. The answer is that after a couple of months, I started to get temporarily dead keys for seemingly no reason. Again.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
what's the current best alternative

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah stay away from current generation mbp keyboards, it’s 800 dollar replacement if you look at it wrong

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
throw your computer into a lake and run into the woods

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

coffeetable posted:

from our small office, xps 13 is unreliable (although it gets love everywhere else). i would look at hp g5 840 or lenovo x1 carbon

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also apple conference is next monday but rumour goes they won’t show new computers

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
If they double down on the touchbar, loving lol. It's been nearly two years and none of the productive programs I use have it and I hate having to hit fn to get my function keys back.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

bump_fn posted:

what are ppls experience w the two sizes of ipads pro (keep in mind im not the one payin g forit

theyre both v good. choosing one over the other depends on how much side-by-side multitasking youre planning to do

if its a lot the 12.9 is better because you can run both apps with their 9.7"-screen-interfaces. on the 10.5 you get one ipad-width app and one iphone-width.

if multitasking is not important to you get the 10.5 because its more comfortable

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

coffeetable posted:

are mbps still the hassle-free-est of high-end laptops

because its replacement time for me and im seeing a lot of complaining about keyboards. can't tell if it's more complaining than about alternatives though

if you have access to apple stores nearby at all times and will do for the foreseeable future you can just bite the bullet and buy one with applecare, and it should be fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

coffeetable posted:

get an xps15 9570

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

throw your computer into a lake and run into the woods

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you have access to apple stores nearby at all times and will do for the foreseeable future you can just bite the bullet and buy one with applecare, and it should be fine.

pro tip:

get AppleCare since it now also includes accidental damage coverage.
if poo poo breaks, don’t go to a store, setup a phone call and specifically request a mail-in repair.

They’ll overnight you a box, you hand it to FedEx, you get your computer back like 2 days later

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

most apple products id say it depends on usage but ive always gotten applecare for a laptop just because its so transported and important to me

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol I don't think this is a hardware issue
https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1002969660667715584

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

my 11th grade programming teacher was right about code bloat all those years ago

i hate him being right but ffs you don't have to write 'to the metal' just not like this

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol if you spend 3k on a computer but only end up with 16GB. what the hell did you spend all your money on

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the experience obv

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

LOL that they’re trying to backtrack and say it was actually a joke about a $3000 computer only having 16GB RAM max.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

syscall girl posted:

my 11th grade programming teacher was right about code bloat all those years ago

i hate him being right but ffs you don't have to write 'to the metal' just not like this

i periodically look at some of the new frameworks for desktop apps and try to learn one of them or another but every time i do i get anxious

my day to day programming is all microcontroller stuff and i'm like, masking bits and counting instructions and doing manually timed multitasking

and i get used to how that works and when i move to a big powerful desktop computer it doesn't make me feel like i've got all this extra power. instead i end up thinking, like, i'm just supposed to....trust this api? but what if it's wasting cycles? what if it's not written efficiently? what if i could do better?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doc Block posted:

LOL that they’re trying to backtrack and say it was actually a joke about a $3000 computer only having 16GB RAM max.
they are incredibly dumb https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1002977437590999040

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

swift on security is really bad

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

she should stick to making lovely music imo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Blue Train posted:

she should stick to making lovely music imo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i periodically look at some of the new frameworks for desktop apps and try to learn one of them or another but every time i do i get anxious

my day to day programming is all microcontroller stuff and i'm like, masking bits and counting instructions and doing manually timed multitasking

and i get used to how that works and when i move to a big powerful desktop computer it doesn't make me feel like i've got all this extra power. instead i end up thinking, like, i'm just supposed to....trust this api? but what if it's wasting cycles? what if it's not written efficiently? what if i could do better?

yeah i mean that mentality is deffo a trap and you could end up like templeOS guy if you're not careful ;)

but practically speaking things like discord, slack, music apps and browsers should not be so taxing

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

swift on security is really bad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

“it’s the future, we have the resources now so who cares about efficiency”

— everyone in webdev

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

goon cannot conceive of another person being more knowledgeable about a technical topic than the goon themselves, news at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

let’s have all these simple applications be web browsers (which are also bloated pieces of poo poo).

problem is tech adoption is a social issue. you could just...find alternatives, at least for some of them