Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So...no one here has ever eaten a child, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CobiWann posted:

So...no one here has ever eaten a child, right?

There was some meat in a bowl and no one told me what it was until later :ohdear:

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
https://twitter.com/samriegel/status/1002256648591687680?s=21

I can't wait to see what this is all about.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

God, I can't watch Sam's ads normally. I'm terrified of something he actually planned in advance instead of writing in his car on the way to the studio.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

https://twitter.com/WillingBlam/status/1002259565600096256

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

They finally got Troy Baker to join them as a Kenku bard. Oh it's an advertising announcement.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Hahaha, that was perfect.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Wow

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
That was cool.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That's already up on the D&D Beyond youtube, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BuL886bJA

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Wow... I was 100% certain that Beau was going to bite it for good in that troll fight... and they established last episode that Jester doesn’t have the diamond necessary to cast Revivify yet. At best, if they didn’t get her killed by taking more damage (and therefore failed death saves), that troll was booking it with her unconscious body. Hulmes casting Levitate was incredibly clutch.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

escalator dropdown posted:

Wow... I was 100% certain that Beau was going to bite it for good in that troll fight... and they established last episode that Jester doesn’t have the diamond necessary to cast Revivify yet. At best, if they didn’t get her killed by taking more damage (and therefore failed death saves), that troll was booking it with her unconscious body. Hulmes casting Levitate was incredibly clutch.

Imagine if Caleb burns ANOTHER person close to him to death. Holy poo poo.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
When did Beau become the Mom of the group? I'm not complaining, they really do need someone to put down their foot at times.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Keru posted:

When did Beau become the Mom of the group? I'm not complaining, they really do need someone to put down their foot at times.

Honestly I think right when she told Jester to stop eating so many pastries, which was like her 2nd line in the first episode

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

Honestly I think right when she told Jester to stop eating so many pastries, which was like her 2nd line in the first episode

You know what, that is true.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I think the table's just fed up with Caleb getting items to cast Identify and then causing a ruckus by not giving it up. Laura especially.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Scorchy posted:

I think the table's just fed up with Caleb getting items to cast Identify and then causing a ruckus by not giving it up. Laura especially.

God knows I am. I know it's still early on in the party's existence (they've known each other for what? Like two or three weeks?) but I'm starting to be really over Nott and Caleb being their own separate entity from the rest of the group and not sharing information or items unless they feel like it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
unsurprisingly everywhere other than here is being completely loving miserable about the end of the stream

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CuwiKhons posted:

God knows I am. I know it's still early on in the party's existence (they've known each other for what? Like two or three weeks?) but I'm starting to be really over Nott and Caleb being their own separate entity from the rest of the group and not sharing information or items unless they feel like it.

I think part of it as well is that they've frequently had long conversations about teamwork, working together and Caleb and Nott have always ended up agreeing to it.

And then it comes to putting that into practice and every time, they immediately backpedal back to their initial stance and keep stuff hidden and secret until called on it. Even mundane small things. It can be a good character beat and insight into them as people and all, but it's just a really lovely way to act as a player in general and it's not good to watch in a show like this either.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I'm getting pretty loving sick of people being stalwart in their total loving refusal to have any backstory development without it being like getting blood from a stone. Everyone comes so pre-loaded with mysterious poo poo that- it doesn't feel like this group has a Pike or a Grog. There's no Xander in this party, meaning there's no one I really want to relate to or find interesting. 'Can everyone but Nott and Beau leave the table?' 'Oh, don't worry I just barf up salt water some time!' 'I'm a pretty loving terrible analogue for being trans!'

Everyone is Percy and Vax and it's getting real hard to give a poo poo.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The problem is like half the characters have "is a dick" as a personality trait. The most moral people in the group are the warlock who has a pact with an eldritch horror and the cleric whose god is her imaginary best friend. In another form of media a dysfunctional group of assholes learning to work together can work but in a role playing game they insist on reasserting how much they are not into the whole teamwork business and shooting down each other and doing their own thing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Sion posted:

I'm getting pretty loving sick of people being stalwart in their total loving refusal to have any backstory development without it being like getting blood from a stone. Everyone comes so pre-loaded with mysterious poo poo that- it doesn't feel like this group has a Pike or a Grog. There's no Xander in this party, meaning there's no one I really want to relate to or find interesting. 'Can everyone but Nott and Beau leave the table?' 'Oh, don't worry I just barf up salt water some time!' 'I'm a pretty loving terrible analogue for being trans!'

Everyone is Percy and Vax and it's getting real hard to give a poo poo.

At the same time, we've gotten some details sooner than campaign 1. That's just counting the portion that was streamed, considering how long they played before. Also, I don't think they really went into it with backstories to reveal. I do get what you are saying, though. I'd have a fuller appreciation for the reactions and responses if I knew more of what the characters are.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Firstborn posted:

At the same time, we've gotten some details sooner than campaign 1. That's just counting the portion that was streamed, considering how long they played before. Also, I don't think they really went into it with backstories to reveal. I do get what you are saying, though. I'd have a fuller appreciation for the reactions and responses if I knew more of what the characters are.

I think my issue is that everyone is so loaded up with sub-JJ Abrams Mystery Box bullshit that it's incredibly tiresome. I kind of wanna slap Molly, and not in the good way that I think he's aiming for. I think that there were plans for backstory stuff in C1 but this time? It's been so incredibly front loaded, cagey and closed off that it's becoming less fun and more frustrating.

For people with such dark, mysterious and tragic pasts they all seem deeply unwilling to interact with them in a way that's interesting. I get that it's a DnD game and they're playing their characters how they want to play 'em but it's also a live streamed show. There's a friction there that's becoming frustratingly apparent. I find myself becoming 'that guy' but, Beau's utter unwillingness to engage with the members of the Cobolt Soul in any real way is hugely frustrating. There's also a lot of instances where the players do real dumb poo poo in the social situations that really veers dangerously close to the most dreaded of all alignments; chaotic stupid. There never seems to be pushback on this poo poo. When Jester goes into a temple and defaces a statue of a god I- I figured that there'd be some 'okay, so you are in a theocratic dictatorship, this will probably not go down well' but instead it was just 'oh, Jester, you're a lovable manic pixie dream girl.'

Sion fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 1, 2018

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

I found the last 10-15 minutes really rough, because:

1) I like entire cast, but I generally tune out when Liam and Marisha slip into serious drama mode. Just personal taste, but it’s usually just a bit too extra, over-the-top for me.
2) Much, much worse: I immediately knew that scene, combined with the stealing/hiding of an item from a guest (see Broomgate from campaign 1), meant the reaction from chat/Reddit/etc. was going to be ultra-toxic.

Other notes: I thought Hulmes knocked it out of the park as Cali. I’ll have to check out High Rollers’ new campaign when that starts. I have no idea what’s going on with Taliesin/Molly in combat. I can’t tell whether he’s struggling to grasp the Blood Hunter mechanics, or whether this is something RP-related to show Molly growing into his strange abilities. It seems like he’s occasionally let some frustration slip, so I suspect it’s more the former than the latter, but who knows.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Other notes: I thought Hulmes knocked it out of the park as Cali. I’ll have to check out High Rollers’ new campaign when that starts. I have no idea what’s going on with Taliesin/Molly in combat. I can’t tell whether he’s struggling to grasp the Blood Hunter mechanics, or whether this is something RP-related to show Molly growing into his strange abilities. It seems like he’s occasionally let some frustration slip, so I suspect it’s more the former than the latter, but who knows.

Blood Hunter is super complicated mechanically. There's a lot of moving parts that all interact with each other. It feels like the whole 'yes, and-' mentality went into designing it.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Sion posted:

Blood Hunter is super complicated mechanically. There's a lot of moving parts that all interact with each other. It feels like the whole 'yes, and-' mentality went into designing it.

True, but more simply than that, he seems to be built as a Two-Weapon Fighting melee Blood Hunter who... never gets into melee. Which is such an odd choice that it makes me wonder whether it’s intentional, especially given that I think Taliesin is one of the most experienced players of the group.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

True, but more simply than that, he seems to be built as a Two-Weapon Fighting melee Blood Hunter who... never gets into melee. Which is such an odd choice that it makes me wonder whether it’s intentional, especially given that I think Taliesin is one of the most experienced players of the group.

It definitely seems to be a combination of him being reluctant to get into melee because he just spent 5 years playing a ranged character and also the fact that I think he feels super squishy because all of them are super squishy at this point and Blood Hunters aren't actually tanks.

At any rate, the lack of backstory stuff from people hasn't been bothering me so much because I'm okay with getting bits and pieces until it actually becomes plot relevant but I am starting to BADLY want to know what's going on with Fjord, the only one who hasn't said jack poo poo about himself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I found the last 10-15 minutes really rough, because:

1) I like entire cast, but I generally tune out when Liam and Marisha slip into serious drama mode. Just personal taste, but it’s usually just a bit too extra, over-the-top for me.
2) Much, much worse: I immediately knew that scene, combined with the stealing/hiding of an item from a guest (see Broomgate from campaign 1), meant the reaction from chat/Reddit/etc. was going to be ultra-toxic.

Mark is a really fun DM, he's a bit broader in terms of tone than Mercer, but he's very responsive to his players as well. (He designed a whole pro-wrestling bit for a festival because two of his players are big wrestling fans even though he doesn't know ANYthing about it)

I did have a little trouble with the WotC series he ran, though, because he gave the lich baddie the Skeletor voice. I mean he was literally doing an impression of Alan Oppenheimer's Skeletor voice. It was impossible to take him remotely seriously.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm kind of interested in that "Dead Reckoning" campaign.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Sion posted:

I think my issue is that everyone is so loaded up with sub-JJ Abrams Mystery Box bullshit that it's incredibly tiresome. I kind of wanna slap Molly, and not in the good way that I think he's aiming for. I think that there were plans for backstory stuff in C1 but this time? It's been so incredibly front loaded, cagey and closed off that it's becoming less fun and more frustrating.

It's hysterical how many times Taliesin has spiked Matt's story threads. I don't know if he's doing it deliberately or what but I feel really bad for Matt.

Molly: "The murder has absolutely nothing to do with the circus, or anything related to the 'no old people' rule. Trust me."
*3 hour episode of nothing ensues*
Molly: "I guess it's the circus."

Matt: "Here's this fully realized city of Zadash and a bunch of story threads you can follow."
Molly: "We need to leave the city immediately."

also

Molly: "I'm gonna leave it to Matt to come up with my backstory."
Matt: "Here's an NPC related to your backstory."
Molly: "I don't want anything to do with her."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Scorchy posted:

It's hysterical how many times Taliesin has spiked Matt's story threads. I don't know if he's doing it deliberately or what but I feel really bad for Matt.

Molly: "The murder has absolutely nothing to do with the circus, or anything related to the 'no old people' rule. Trust me."
*3 hour episode of nothing ensues*
Molly: "I guess it's the circus."

Matt: "Here's this fully realized city of Zadash and a bunch of story threads you can follow."
Molly: "We need to leave the city immediately."

also

Molly: "I'm gonna leave it to Matt to come up with my backstory."
Matt: "Here's an NPC related to your backstory."
Molly: "I don't want anything to do with her."

Right?! loving engage, Theater Kid.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

....? The entire party wanted to leave Zadash to avoid being conscripted. Then they spent a day exploring potential storylines remaining in the city and they did in fact pick one. Any side they picked was probably going to lead to them leaving the Zadash. The Lawmaster was even sending them out of the country to the Menagerie Coast. There was nothing left to do inside Zadash with the war starting. It's not like the party randomly left the city without following any plot threads and forced Matt to come up with something on the fly (and he said on Talks Machina he was actually prepared for them to do that too). I don't know why you think Taliesin or the rest of the party is doing anything Matt didn't fully expect.

Also as for the backstory thing, I'm pretty sure Matt knew ahead of time that Molly doesn't want to know his backstory. That's why Matt made them trip over one instead of waiting for him to seek it out.

(The circus thing also wasn't him 'spiking' anything. Molly just trusted his adopted family and ended up being wrong. That's a really weird complaint.)

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 2, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m pretty sure Matt has prepared story threads for every major place on the map and is prepared for them to not see use, at least not immediately.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I guess I just don't see the tension or major issues that others are, my biggest complaint is that Molly isn't cutting stuff up all the time but that's some real minor stuff to gripe about. I do have to admit that Beau dying from poison overflow would have been an amazing conclusion to the arc of Marisha making poor combat decisions, and I was loving Liam just edging right up to making that happen and he would have won my heart forever if he pulled the trigger on it. Even if a player death didn't happen it was nice to see Matt throwing something that had a powerful ability you had to work around into a combat situation. It kind of reminded me of the carpet fight, only replace the tricky carpet enveloping mechanic with "you straight-up can't get into a melee fight with this thing."

I actually liked the end scene of the last episode because it seemed true to the characters. Nott's still gonna steal stuff, especially if it's super useless and low value like buttons or real useful like a powerful magic item or spell scroll since that's the stuff she wants to funnel to Caleb to make him stronger. Once Caleb's figured out what it is and confirmed what it can do, just handing it over to anyone seems super risky if you care about the well-being of the world in general. Even if they have the best of intentions the guest had already confirmed they were on the cult's radar, and if they were pulling off a con you're giving it right to the bad guys. Like I get as a player and a watcher you think "Hey we're trying to wrap up and this is the guest, just hand it over and let's call it a day." but I liked that Caleb in particular was approaching things like his character would and wasn't fast to trust someone they'd just met with an item that powerful. I'm glad Ashley remembered she had the right tool for the job at the end, and I really liked the resolution that came of it.

Anyway, based on the last session I'm predicting that Beau's going to be the first of the Nein to die, though by then I'm sure they'll have revivify at least and most likely access to proper post-battle revive options.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

The secret backstory to Campaign 2 is that their characters are all actually terrible at their chosen professions :haw:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

NowonSA posted:

I guess I just don't see the tension or major issues that others are, my biggest complaint is that Molly isn't cutting stuff up all the time but that's some real minor stuff to gripe about. I do have to admit that Beau dying from poison overflow would have been an amazing conclusion to the arc of Marisha making poor combat decisions, and I was loving Liam just edging right up to making that happen and he would have won my heart forever if he pulled the trigger on it. Even if a player death didn't happen it was nice to see Matt throwing something that had a powerful ability you had to work around into a combat situation. It kind of reminded me of the carpet fight, only replace the tricky carpet enveloping mechanic with "you straight-up can't get into a melee fight with this thing."

I actually liked the end scene of the last episode because it seemed true to the characters. Nott's still gonna steal stuff, especially if it's super useless and low value like buttons or real useful like a powerful magic item or spell scroll since that's the stuff she wants to funnel to Caleb to make him stronger. Once Caleb's figured out what it is and confirmed what it can do, just handing it over to anyone seems super risky if you care about the well-being of the world in general. Even if they have the best of intentions the guest had already confirmed they were on the cult's radar, and if they were pulling off a con you're giving it right to the bad guys. Like I get as a player and a watcher you think "Hey we're trying to wrap up and this is the guest, just hand it over and let's call it a day." but I liked that Caleb in particular was approaching things like his character would and wasn't fast to trust someone they'd just met with an item that powerful. I'm glad Ashley remembered she had the right tool for the job at the end, and I really liked the resolution that came of it.

Anyway, based on the last session I'm predicting that Beau's going to be the first of the Nein to die, though by then I'm sure they'll have revivify at least and most likely access to proper post-battle revive options.

Yeah, it is important to remember they just met Kali(Cali?) earlier that day. And it turns out she was a leader in a cult worshiping an evil dragon goddess. Sure, she says they're all mean and bad people and she doesn't like them, but people can lie and not handing over the evil magic item that requires human sacrifice to her makes sense.

Also yeah, Matt loves his "lol gently caress melee" encounters a bit too much and Taliesin needs to pick up a goddamn crossbow/bow already.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just started episode one. Not a fan of dragonborn sorcerer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the circus thing was an understandable mistake on Taliesin's part, he assumed if there was anything iffy at the circus Molly would know about it, and because Matt hadn't mentioned anything iffy in their backstory discussions...

The Nonagon/Lucien stuff was very deliberately set up by Matt to make Tal panic because he'd said on Talks like 3 times that he had a massive list of bullshit stories that he was planning to spit out as needed until he was forced to confront the real truth, whatever it ended up being, and then Matt throws an NPC they HAVE to deal with at him before he'd even gotten through 2 of them.

The Zadash thing is a little bit of the thing that Keyleth did in the first run where she (or sometimes Marisha) would get one notion in their head of where the plot hook was going to lead and even if the others didn't agree, would not let it go or consider that it wasn't the thing they assumed. (See: Keyleth assuming that basically any bad thing that happened was somehow Vox Machina's direct fault, usually caused by a thing that couldn't possibly be related) Molly got very stuck on the thing that 'war being declared' meant that the city was suddenly hip-deep in the Vietnam war and any random passer-by was about to be drafted.

Xae posted:

Yeah, it is important to remember they just met Kali(Cali?) earlier that day. And it turns out she was a leader in a cult worshiping an evil dragon goddess. Sure, she says they're all mean and bad people and she doesn't like them, but people can lie and not handing over the evil magic item that requires human sacrifice to her makes sense.

Also yeah, Matt loves his "lol gently caress melee" encounters a bit too much and Taliesin needs to pick up a goddamn crossbow/bow already.

The problem with going to a bow for Molly is that it fucks over his main ability. The damage buff to weapons explicitly fades once a weapon leaves your hand/hits it's target if thrown/shot. It's like a rogue using a weapon that doesn't allow Sneak Attack. Sure, you CAN do it, but you're basically nerfing your character in a way that isn't even really that easy to justify from an RP sense.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 3, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RC Cola posted:

I just started episode one. Not a fan of dragonborn sorcerer.

I got good news for you in about twenty five episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I don't know anything about Molly's class. Could it be a thing where Taliesin is over cautious for the first few levels to make sure he makes it to when the class comes into its own? That would make the class poorly designed but it wouldn't be the first homebrew to be so.

At this point there might has well be 5 (6 when Ashley's there) players at the table during combat 'cause all Molly does is hang back and throw the occasional vicious mockery. I keep hoping that he jumps in there more often and starts swinging both those swords.