Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I hated Joe but surprisingly found him endearing by the end of his run. He's not attractive, he's kind of sleazy, and his body language is more exaggerated/threatening than his tribemates, but he's interesting. It's like when you listen to a lovely pop song repeatedly until it's physical torture but then suddenly you're really into it. Is that what Stockholm syndrome is like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Aubry going into Game Changers was the biggest threat (along with Tony) and she still got 5th, but her game was non-existent because nobody wanted to be traced back to her. Hopefully the newbies base their knowledge off that season and allow her a foot in the door.

Joe should be taken out immediately because I don't want to see him again. 4 tribes of 5 would benefit him well.

David should also be taken out immediately and probably will. Just kidding, he'll find 3 idols this season.

Wentworth could go either way. I'm not sure what the Cambodia takeaway is. I doubt she's considered a strategic threat like SJDS anymore but her idol legacy might be more damning. I'd like to see her take all the individual immunities from Joe.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've decided I'll watch it

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I predict a returnee will be the first boot. The types of people they cast now are not the types of people they casted back in 22 and 23 that let the returnees get so deep; nowadays they cast superfans desperate to make a Big Move as soon as possible and voting out the returnee is a very simple and tempting Big Move staring them right in the face. Moreover, they all know there's going to be a swap after like 2 episodes anyway so there's no concern about dooming your tribe by voting out strength. Instead, early quick swaps encourage "easy" consensus votes like that.

On the other hand, I suspect whichever 2 or 3 returnees make that first swap will go pretty deep. After the first swap the priorities will shift to voting out minority tribe(s) and there will be more fear of returnees already having idols since they'll be coming from different camps.

Just to call my shot, I'll say David and Aubry are the first two boots in that order, Joe goes out around ~12th place, and Wentworth makes it to the finale but not the Final 3.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Why does everyone hate Joe? I barely even remember much about him except that he was big and good at challenges, seemed generally likable to his other castmates, and Fishbauch got kind of obsessed with him and it kind of messed up his game. If Joe did something offensive or something I've somehow completely forgot it. Like I'm not excited to see him again or anything and he's not some favorite of mine, but all four players got the same "eh, ok" reaction from me.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Why does everyone hate Joe? I barely even remember much about him except that he was big and good at challenges, seemed generally likable to his other castmates, and Fishbauch got kind of obsessed with him and it kind of messed up his game. If Joe did something offensive or something I've somehow completely forgot it. Like I'm not excited to see him again or anything and he's not some favorite of mine, but all four players got the same "eh, ok" reaction from me.

I think he stands out since the other 3 were big strategic presences in their seasons and each pulled off at least one exciting move, whereas Joe seemed to outwardly avoid strategizing. The only thing that comes to mind is a half-hearted fake idol attempt in his first season that never seemed fully thought through. He was also a bit of a sore loser when he went out his second time IIRC.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Why does everyone hate Joe?

I wish they had brought back his life partner instead, All-Time Survivor Great Sierra Dawn Thomas

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't mind Joe that much tbh, it's more just that he's worn out his welcome with me. First time I saw him, he was likable, but second time he didn't really bring anything new or interesting into the game, so that seeing his name now just feels like seeing the name Ozzie where you know exactly what you'll get. Dudes like Jay and Devon are much more dynamic characters that we haven't already seen twice. Also Joe has done all kinds of weird shot with Wiglesworth and others outside the game but I don't really care about that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not excited to see him but I'm not really excited about any of them. I think they all kind of showed their hands one way or another in their second season. None are people who I'm upset to see but none feel like players who good screwed by fate/the game and have more to show or something. I don't know. I actually thought David had already played a second time so my memory of these seasons kind of blur together after awhile. The reaction to Joe just seemed a lot more hostile than I was expecting.

Weirdly that Wigglesworth thing made him seem more interesting to me. I mean, that was just weird.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

i don't hate him, but i find him too boring to bring him back. i liked him enough on his first season but i don't think he added much the second time. did he already play a third time? cause my brain is telling me that was the case. maybe i'm crazy.

also regarding my malcolm comment, i kinda pulled that name out of the air but now that i think about it i'd want him back merely because he got so hosed in game changers. it was really dumb and even if he's already played a bunch i want to give him another shot simply because of that alone.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Right? I roasted Malcolm pretty hard in my game changers OP and I generally hate returning players, but that was a good, solid dryfuck and even I think he deserves another shot. I wouldn't even say that about Cirie.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Hoo boy, the twist for season 38 is hyper dumb. It's called Island of Extinction, and it's basically all the worst aspects of Redemption Island and Exile Island rolled into one. You get voted out, you go there, there's no shelter or food, and then you try not to quit. Everyone who doesn't quit gets to compete in an endurance challenge to reenter the game at the merge and final five.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Spergatory posted:

Hoo boy, the twist for season 38 is hyper dumb. It's called Island of Extinction, and it's basically all the worst aspects of Redemption Island and Exile Island rolled into one. You get voted out, you go there, there's no shelter or food, and then you try not to quit. Everyone who doesn't quit gets to compete in an endurance challenge to reenter the game at the merge and final five.

That's almost literally the twist from a fan fiction version of ghost island, and it's terrible.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Propaganda Machine posted:

Right? I roasted Malcolm pretty hard in my game changers OP and I generally hate returning players, but that was a good, solid dryfuck and even I think he deserves another shot. I wouldn't even say that about Cirie.

it was basically the worst way i've ever seen someone get voted out and there have been some real lovely ones. aaron from china comes to mind.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Spergatory posted:

Can't wait for the S38 finale where they have to recap all 20 people still in the game at the beginning.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Adus posted:

it was basically the worst way i've ever seen someone get voted out and there have been some real lovely ones. aaron from china comes to mind.

I mean, he got voted out because someone on his alliance hosed up and leaked information. That's all in all a pretty "normal" Survivor exit - it's not anything like Fiji Michelle, who got basically eliminated through pure whim of producer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The reason why I'm not hyped up about Joe returning is that, well, he doesn't interest me enough for a third shot. Malcolm had some actual strategy and some colossal screwups. Joe is just a likable guy who's good at challenges. It'd be like seeing Colby come back for a fourth time. We've seen it all before.

Also that S38 twist sounds like the worst idea since the Medallion of Power. It seems engineered just to keep their pet four returning players in the game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pinterest Mom posted:

I mean, he got voted out because someone on his alliance hosed up and leaked information. That's all in all a pretty "normal" Survivor exit - it's not anything like Fiji Michelle, who got basically eliminated through pure whim of producer.

Agreed that Michelle was the worst boot ever, and we already knew that JT is bad at this, but the schtick for that tribal council was seriously hosed up.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

That's almost literally the twist from a fan fiction version of ghost island, and it's terrible.

That's the twist from the producers' original version of ghost island, actually

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I dunno, it probably would have been better than the actual Ghost Island twist.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Pinterest Mom posted:

i didn't watch fiji so what's the story?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Shneak posted:

Can't wait for the S38 finale where they have to recap all 20 people still in the game at the beginning.

the producers really want Joe on our screens huh?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Spergatory posted:

Oh gently caress... That's the twist from A swedish version of survivor... the guy who got voted out at merge came back at final 4 won the challenge and then won the game. Joe has to only win 2 endurance challenges and a firemaking one to win the game. gently caress probst.

If this the way someone gets to the final then I hope jury will be voting for someone else only to give big gently caress you to this twist.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 3, 2018

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Adus posted:

i didn't watch fiji so what's the story?

The random swap at 10 except:
- only one minitribe loses
- they go straight to TC without any communication allowed

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Why do they always want to let a voted out player return when the season's about to be over? Seems pretty dumb.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Nexal posted:

Oh gently caress... That's the twist from A swedish version of survivor... the guy who got voted out at merge came back at final 4 won the challenge and then won the game. Joe has to only win 2 endurance challenges and a firemaking one to win the game. gently caress probst.

If this the way someone gets to the final then I hope jury will be voting for someone else only to give big gently caress you to this twist.

I might be misremembering, but I think I read somewhere that the Swedish version of Survivor doesn't have a jury? I can very easily see Joe getting voted out twice, coming back, and making it to the end only for a jury to say "hey, good for you, Joe, but you didn't actually play the game, so, you know, enjoy second or third."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

I might be misremembering, but I think I read somewhere that the Swedish version of Survivor doesn't have a jury? I can very easily see Joe getting voted out twice, coming back, and making it to the end only for a jury to say "hey, good for you, Joe, but you didn't actually play the game, so, you know, enjoy second or third."

Yeah they're only hope should be that the other finalists are complete shitbirds

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Big Brother does it a lot and I'm pretty sure its always resulted in either everyone resenting the gently caress out of the person for skipping in line and booting them right back out the door or them all uniting to get rid of them because their hands are too clean and they could win a bitter jury.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

curiousCat posted:

The random swap at 10 except:
- only one minitribe loses
- they go straight to TC without any communication allowed

Crucially, Michelle was in a fantastic position and her alliance was all on the other side. She was also good smart spunky fun.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Spergatory posted:

It varies from season to season. Some seasons don't have jury. There was a season with poo poo twist "Love edition" which based on taking singles to the island and god it was awful... Ugh...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Crucially, Michelle was in a fantastic position and her alliance was all on the other side. She was also good smart spunky fun.

I'm surprised she's never been in the running to come back, has she? Maybe she's just been soured that much by the twist.

Of course, winners of 'eliminated in a dumb twist' have to be those two players that got eliminated right at the start of the game because they weren't chosen for the schoolyard pick. I think that's happened on TAR too (got last in the first challenge, bye).

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm surprised she's never been in the running to come back, has she? Maybe she's just been soured that much by the twist.

Of course, winners of 'eliminated in a dumb twist' have to be those two players that got eliminated right at the start of the game because they weren't chosen for the schoolyard pick. I think that's happened on TAR too (got last in the first challenge, bye).

Fiji is also one of the least liked seasons, so I don’t expect there’s a ton of demand to bring her back even if she wanted to come back.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah, she wasn't a major character (perhaps they edited her minimally because she got screwed)... so the most notable thing about her is that she got screwed. And that she fell off the platform while cheering!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPfD5f6VMns

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That clip cuts off too soon because it misses the part where she just pops right back up and keeps going without missing a beat.

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, she wasn't a major character (perhaps they edited her minimally because she got screwed)... so the most notable thing about her is that she got screwed. And that she fell off the platform while cheering!

My memory is that she was Earl's #1 or 2 ally after Yau-Man and was probably in a real good position to get to the end of the game if that hadn't happened.

But like, my memory of that season is that trio aside it was a lot of miserable, unlikable SOBs in a really miserable setting made worse by that "one tribe has everything, the other tribe has nothing" gimmick. And Earl was the best player and was cool but kind of super quiet and boring. Michelle was fun but a supporting player. So it was just Yau-Man's season and Dreamz screwed him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, the fall of the Horsemen was at least entertaining, right? Like FigTails but stretched out over a whole season.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Fiji is a slog but I still think "It's A Turtle!?" is one of the best single episodes Survivor has ever aired.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, the fallout from Michelle's exit led to my single favorite episode of this dumb show.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I liked Fiji a lot.
It had a stupid gimmick, but it also was a season with the nice people triumphing over the awful people and it had a solid winner.
I agree it was a little boring with few standout characters, but the fall of the horseman is Top 10 episode material, easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fiji is good because the Four Horsemen are literally Wile E. Coyote and they get appropriately taken apart.

• Locked thread