Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

If there's one thing I remember about the Star Wars movies, it's that they definitely put a lot of focus on careful military strategy.

Like yeah it's obviously not a great storytelling choice because of all the confusion it's caused, but I don't think anything is going to come from constantly arguing about it when we could be talking about why the heck all the critics are talking about TLJ now. Did they all get together at a party and decide to team up or something?

Edit since this is a snipe:
We could also talk more about Contra's new video which is also kind of amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

Like yeah it's obviously not a great storytelling choice because of all the confusion it's caused, but I don't think anything is going to come from constantly arguing about it when we could be talking about why the heck all the critics are talking about TLJ now. Did they all get together at a party and decide to team up or something?

Someone mentioned that the Blu-ray just came out recently, that's probably why, since now you can get footage from the entire movie in high quality without dealing with :filez:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's an interesting contrast: two movie franchises produced by the same house, involving a trilogy, starting about the same time, with at least one shared actor. One became this whole big big Expanded Universe with many video-game tie-ins, eliciting multiple prequels and additional sequels decades on, both in cinema and on television, while the other had basically stagnated, leading to a couple of games, one belated sequel, a bit of a prequel series that never went too far. Is it because of how big a canvass a galaxy far, far away can be?

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles owns.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Someone mentioned that the Blu-ray just came out recently, that's probably why, since now you can get footage from the entire movie in high quality without dealing with :filez:

That and Solo just came out literally last week, so the run up and follow up to its release and its subsequent flaws (real and imagined) has provided people with ample new opportunity to use it as a vector to continue their endless bitching about The Last Jedi.

Because they live in a miserable hell of their own making.

Also, my personal Solo mini-review: overall it's a perfectly fine Star Wars movie and a decent movie movie, but it only really pops during the second act when Lando's a part of the plot.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 2, 2018

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Hey, so today an article I wrote up about an online controversy regarding Assassin's Creed Syndicate (remember that? no, well it was the one about Karl Marx being in it) was published in a magazine. One of my favourites actually, so I'm pleased as punch. They host free PDFs of each issue http://afed.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/organise90-web.pdf

One problem is that it centred on a popular meme image, but due to communication issues it wasn't included in the fancy magazine version. It should still make sense, but if not you can read the original version on here https://libcom.org/blog/listen-gamers-02022018

Oh and the magazine has some other great articles about Sci Fi including Ursula K Le Guin :rip: criticism on comics, a review of Black Panther that focuses on Kill Monger, and some articles about supporting refugees and combatting growing transphobia in the UK.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 2, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Bee posted:

It's one of the things about the movie that I feel was done more for the sake of subversion and being clever than anything else. At first I really liked the movie, but it increasingly feels like its relying on 9 properly sticking the landing.

yeah. some of the stuff i liked. like snoke being just some random littlefinger type dickhead who thinks he can play at being palpatine like kylo thinks he can with vader. much like kylo. much like kylo, he has some cool tricks and poo poo, but he is basicaly the one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind leading a bunch of ex imperials and their failsons with a legion of child soldiers. like one of the things i liked in TLJ was the captain of the giant drednaught because he is probaly some bitter old dickhead who used to command a star destroyer and now he is taking orders from some dumb screaming kid and one of his bosses wears a halloween mask to work.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Baka-nin posted:

Hey, so today an article I wrote up about an online controversy regarding Assassin's Creed Syndicate (remember that? no, well it was the one about Karl Marx being in it) was published in a magazine. One of my favourites actually, so I'm pleased as punch. They host free PDFs of each issue http://afed.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/organise90-web.pdf

One problem is that it centred on a popular meme image, but due to communication issues it wasn't included in the fancy magazine version. It should still make sense, but if not you can read the original version on here https://libcom.org/blog/listen-gamers-02022018

Oh and the magazine has some other great articles about Sci Fi including Ursula K Le Guin :rip: criticism on comics, a review of Black Panther that focuses on Kill Monger, and some articles about supporting refugees and combatting growing transphobia in the UK.

i loved syndicate a ton and kicking rear end with marx was great(outside the last mission, gently caress that poo poo)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. some of the stuff i liked. like snoke being just some random littlefinger type dickhead who thinks he can play at being palpatine like kylo thinks he can with vader. much like kylo. much like kylo, he has some cool tricks and poo poo, but he is basicaly the one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind leading a bunch of ex imperials and their failsons with a legion of child soldiers. like one of the things i liked in TLJ was the captain of the giant drednaught because he is probaly some bitter old dickhead who used to command a star destroyer and now he is taking orders from some dumb screaming kid and one of his bosses wears a halloween mask to work.

The top changes in my books were Snoke being nothing and Rey having no lineage. The former stopped it from being samey, and the latter stopped it from being Muppet Babies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I swear every time I check out this thread there's like a hundred posts entirely about star wars and almost nothing else. What the gently caress? Can we at least argue about some other bit of star wars? How about the EU, that sure was dumb, right?

Anyway - what do people here think about Comics Explained and that side of the internet reviewer spectrum? I don't think I've seen them posted here much but a friend I talk about comic nerdery with put me onto the guy and I find his enthusiasm pretty infectious and he gives some fun rundowns of storylines and characters. His Planet Hulk/World War Hulk video is what got me to like the guy's stuff, and it really made me just want to get around to reading World War Hulk since I never did. Planet Hulk was great though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's an interesting contrast: two movie franchises produced by the same house, involving a trilogy, starting about the same time, with at least one shared actor. One became this whole big big Expanded Universe with many video-game tie-ins, eliciting multiple prequels and additional sequels decades on, both in cinema and on television, while the other had basically stagnated, leading to a couple of games, one belated sequel, a bit of a prequel series that never went too far. Is it because of how big a canvass a galaxy far, far away can be?

A closely related aspect is probably that there were no toys—or not a, like you say, whole galaxy of characters to play with. Star Wars was one of the first big movie toy lines, I’m pretty sure. For Indiana Jones, you could have Indiana Jones and some nazis in brown work gear. And no parent is going to want to buy a toy in nazi regalia anyway.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
In the annual Final Episode of Half in the Bag Best of the Worst, Jay compares the experience of the film they watched to the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey. And there's two other baffling movies there too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

I swear every time I check out this thread there's like a hundred posts entirely about star wars and almost nothing else. What the gently caress? Can we at least argue about some other bit of star wars? How about the EU, that sure was dumb, right?

Anyway - what do people here think about Comics Explained and that side of the internet reviewer spectrum? I don't think I've seen them posted here much but a friend I talk about comic nerdery with put me onto the guy and I find his enthusiasm pretty infectious and he gives some fun rundowns of storylines and characters. His Planet Hulk/World War Hulk video is what got me to like the guy's stuff, and it really made me just want to get around to reading World War Hulk since I never did. Planet Hulk was great though.

the EU was great because it gave us a story about Han Solo being bros with space otters

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Solo must be -really- mediocre if people are re-litigating TLJ.

---

Back to the Youtuber Burnout phenomenon, I'm surprised it took this long for it to reach this stage. I think only Michael Freaking Jackson in his prime had this level of scrutiny as a 24/7 thing. Sure, he had to dodge papparazi and couldn't step out in public without causing a minor riot, but he could at least take some time off in some rich-person's enclave, and not read his fan mail if he didn't care to. Not to mention he actually had a whole entourage and support structure screening him from the worst of it.

Even a minor YT personality has to maintain a strong online presence, which means dealing directly with rabid fans, detractors, trolls, people calling you a sellout, demanding that you talk about X or Y, saying you're and SJW or a cuck, demanding your reaction about this other YTuber's drama....and that is when you are not pumping out more material to stay on the curve, because there's this other person now that does what you do AND also Fortnite streams while in cosplay!

For the bigger names, it's actually worse, because they are far more likely to be doing this full-time and from an early age. So if things crash they have a big void in their resumés called "2007-2018 Spicy Chimichanga Reaction Videos" instead of a career that could get you considered for a middle-class level job that will let you keep the high living standard your Youtube fame afforded you.

Then again, DSP apparently still makes about 70k+ a year, so maybe there will always be a floor of hardcore fanatics that will see you through.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sephyr posted:

For the bigger names, it's actually worse, because they are far more likely to be doing this full-time and from an early age. So if things crash they have a big void in their resumés called "2007-2018 Spicy Chimichanga Reaction Videos" instead of a career that could get you considered for a middle-class level job that will let you keep the high living standard your Youtube fame afforded you.

I don't know about standard of living, but I can see spinning a YT career into marketing, at the very least. You don't get to be one of the big guys without being at least somewhat on the ball about getting an audience and keeping that audience.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just don't get how some of these personalities get huge. i had never heard of ricegum until someone else dunked on him. then i watched some of his stuff and it doesn't make sense. he's an annoying dork.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Darth Walrus posted:

The problem was that Poe had made himself part of that existential crisis. He’d already proven lethally disruptive to one escape plan, so why bring him in on another? ‘We all have to stick together and make decisions as a team’ doesn’t work when one guy is not a team player.

Not only that, but he wiped out most of the fighter fleet and all the bombers to take out just the one Dreadnought. In terms of tactical thinking, he's a colossal dipshit. At least by the end of the film, he's developed as a character in the sense that he's learned that humility (reinforced when Holdo kamikazes into the Imperial fleet and isn't trying to run into every fight with nothing more than a do-or-die mentality.

The Bee posted:

The top changes in my books were Snoke being nothing and Rey having no lineage. The former stopped it from being samey, and the latter stopped it from being Muppet Babies.

It also had the added effect of
1. Killing the typical JJ Abrams mystery box story-telling dead in its tracks, where a mysterious mystery of forbidden mysteries (it's mysteriously mysterious) typically gets strung out well beyond a logical point of reveal for the sake of it, only to end up underwhelming.
2. Revealing Rey's lineage as, I dunno, part of the Kenobi clan, or related to the Skywalkers or whatever, wouldn't have been far off from one of the more annoying parts of the Prequel Trilogy, in which it felt like half the characters were shoehorned in OT characters for the sake of it, like C3PO and R2-D2 - they're not the only droids in the loving galaxy are they? - or Chewbacca in Revenge of the Sith, where it felt reeaaaaally forced.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 3, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Solo is a perfectly fine. I'd put it in the same orbit as Rogue One in terms of "Eh, this wasn't needed, but I appreciate it nonetheless." It's just that Last Jedi broke nerdbrains so loving hard that it has become the lens through which they view the entire world now.

A movie they absolutely loath now lives rent free in their heads and will remain there until the day they all cease existing. Like I said, they all live in Hell now.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Then again, DSP apparently still makes about 70k+ a year, so maybe there will always be a floor of hardcore fanatics that will see you through.

Really? Holy poo poo, I wold never have guessed that.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I don't know about standard of living, but I can see spinning a YT career into marketing, at the very least. You don't get to be one of the big guys without being at least somewhat on the ball about getting an audience and keeping that audience.

Perhaps, but it's dubious. There's a world of difference between herding your adoring but unruly fans and actually dealing with bosses and staff while getting a marketing project off the ground. Sure, some of them can likely make the transition fine if they have to, but I'd bet on "former child star" levels of dissonance crossing over into an office job.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

How did three hours go by with Star Wars, without mention of HACK FRAUD™ Content?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcK4ioF8ODc

E: Nevermind it didn't I'm just a bad reader.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bessantj posted:

Really? Holy poo poo, I wold never have guessed that.

Can't blame ya, its hard to believe he makes that much with how much he wants to cry about how broke he is.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Sephyr posted:

It's a lot closer to, say, having been in a band that toured for six years, put out three albums, and actually had a minor hit or two on regional radio.

Which is to say, yes, it's a giant void, but there's still plenty of jobs out there that'll go "oh, cool" and see it as, at the very least, a reasonable explanation and not a giant hole.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just don't get how some of these personalities get huge. i had never heard of ricegum until someone else dunked on him. then i watched some of his stuff and it doesn't make sense. he's an annoying dork.

I think it really comes down to a huge chunk of the population being very easy to get with clickbait. I remain convinced that the true path to 1m+ subs is a total lack of integrity and strong thumbnail/title creation skills more than anything else.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
This is actually a stealth star wars thread

Is there actually a star wars thread in this forums??

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ah, boy. I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

This is actually a stealth star wars thread

Is there actually a star wars thread in this forums??

Yes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

I think it really comes down to a huge chunk of the population being very easy to get with clickbait. I remain convinced that the true path to 1m+ subs is a total lack of integrity and strong thumbnail/title creation skills more than anything else.

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/735281634656669696?lang=en

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/735317544156991488

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno man, my neptunia thumbnails haven't been working out too well

What am I doing wrong? I got the red arrow AND the red circle, and that thing I notice happening more often where they take one image, copy and paste it, then move the 2 layers apart so each one takes half the shot, with one of them zoomed in.

E: Oh and I did meme speak in the title with a wacky face!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Teenagers. They have a lot of free time, a reasonable amount of disposable income, and loving love annoying dorks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sephyr posted:

---

Back to the Youtuber Burnout phenomenon, I'm surprised it took this long for it to reach this stage. I think only Michael Freaking Jackson in his prime had this level of scrutiny as a 24/7 thing. Sure, he had to dodge papparazi and couldn't step out in public without causing a minor riot, but he could at least take some time off in some rich-person's enclave, and not read his fan mail if he didn't care to. Not to mention he actually had a whole entourage and support structure screening him from the worst of it.

Even a minor YT personality has to maintain a strong online presence, which means dealing directly with rabid fans, detractors, trolls, people calling you a sellout, demanding that you talk about X or Y, saying you're and SJW or a cuck, demanding your reaction about this other YTuber's drama....and that is when you are not pumping out more material to stay on the curve, because there's this other person now that does what you do AND also Fortnite streams while in cosplay!

There are skills involved that—provided you actually develop them and don’t just be a Doug—are quite valuable on the production and promotion end. A bigger problem might be getting typecast by youtube “fame” ie “aren’t you that guy who reviewed every Denny’s?,” which might make it hard to go straight once you’re off youtube. If you just do production work for commercials or Pokémon closed captions, probably nobody would care, though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Contra's new video finally got me to the point of thinking "Enough skit, please just talk" like I've kind of felt coming on for a little now.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I wish people would loving shut up about Star Wars

People like Ricegum...I kinda think they got big because they already had a fair bit of money and people behind them going in. Like, people who understood SEO and YouTube trends, which they were able to take advantage of. I mean, their content absolutely sucks massive amounts of cock, but they managed to ride some sort of twisted zeitgeist on the tubes. One of the weird things about this dumb place. Story time bullshit, stupid trend bullshit...you can go far if you get on that. He was also kinda able to get on the whole "let's make a disstrack/rap track about a YouTuber" as well, IIRC. The fake drama stuff that was ultimately really hit on by the Pauls, the Sidemen, all those folk.

This is much more interesting than loving Star Wars bullshit, I really dislike what this series seems to have become.

Although I did see someone say that apparently George Lucas gave up and sold Star Wars because of the fans...lol, yeah ok. I mean, it probably has more to do with the $4 billion that Disney spent to acquire Lucasfilm

I was thinking these pages were gonna be about Contra's bullshit because it's apparently interesting in the way it treats the trans folk who aren't all on the super left wing, I really must watch that tomorrow.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Star Wars is fine and microphones are important but what I really need to know is, Dan Olson, where did you get that blue hoodie with the sort-of pixellish pattern on it? I need one.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

the1janitor talks about why he stopped idolizing Sam Harrisand gets into his past of being an atheist shitlord and other things.

Also Contra: I have small problems with most of her videos like how it feels like most videos don't make a point but maybe that's her style. Sometimes her videos don't make direct points but rather provide dialogs with lots of information to unpack.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

People like Ricegum...I kinda think they got big because they already had a fair bit of money and people behind them going in. Like, people who understood SEO and YouTube trends, which they were able to take advantage of. I mean, their content absolutely sucks massive amounts of cock, but they managed to ride some sort of twisted zeitgeist on the tubes. One of the weird things about this dumb place. Story time bullshit, stupid trend bullshit...you can go far if you get on that. He was also kinda able to get on the whole "let's make a disstrack/rap track about a YouTuber" as well, IIRC. The fake drama stuff that was ultimately really hit on by the Pauls, the Sidemen, all those folk.

but he's bad at it. at least with the paul brothers one of them is handsome. ricegum is a dweeb. i think he even paid one of the top instagram models to pretend to be his girlfriend (cuz there's no way someone who looks like that was legit dating him).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Which one is supposed to be handsome, they both look like colossal douchebags.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they do but douchebags can be handsome (it's logan, jake looks like a weirdo but probably still generically handsome).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Groovelord Neato posted:

but he's bad at it. at least with the paul brothers one of them is handsome. ricegum is a dweeb. i think he even paid one of the top instagram models to pretend to be his girlfriend (cuz there's no way someone who looks like that was legit dating him).

Not all attractive people are shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if your claim to fame is your butt i got a feeling you don't look to inner beauty (ricegum is uglier on the inside anyway).

related, it's insane how lovely these rich people pay their editors (this is the fake gf):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnMQFDyo2k8

she has 18 million instagram followers and initially offers just the ability to "grow" his channel and once she can monetize her videos he gets 50 bucks a pop.