Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
GOB was a highlight of season 4, so it's weird that they give him basically nothing to do but pine for Tony Wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

They didn't even have GOB do his magic dance with the knife in his mouth. A shameful omission.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That note that Michael left for Lucille 2 (and George Michael)... is there something in the DSM about what it indicates when your handwriting changes multiple times in a twenty-word message? Just the wording alone makes him sound a little nutty, but it absolutely looks like it's written by an insane person. I really thought the cop would have pinned him as a much bigger suspect based on that note alone.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

anotherone posted:

why didn't they just have Lucille 1 running for senator

Because Portia de Rossi had the most scheduling issues?

I enjoyed the first 8 episodes, but they definitely lost some magic. George Maheris is no teenage movie studio executive.

Marry me!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Did anyone catch the store next to the closet designers? it's cut off but says Blendin somethings. I think Michael or everyone is being watched by the feds over Lucille 2.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

GOB was a highlight of season 4, so it's weird that they give him basically nothing to do but pine for Tony Wonder.

I liked him trying to solve his issues by buying companies, but he only did it twice.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

This show sucks now.

Season 5 is Boondocks Season 4 levels of bad.

Season 6 will basically be zombie Simpsons at this rate.

George Micheal and Maeby are the only two good people left. And even then so, Maeby's increasing fladerization is getting tiring (though to be fair this has been a thing since Season 3).

I didn't watch Boondocks season 4, what was wrong with it? Was that when Mcgruder left or whatever?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Koalas March posted:

I didn't watch Boondocks season 4, what was wrong with it?

For a quick and dirty summary, it essentially felt more like a show trying to emulate The Boondocks and less like well The Boondocks. Everything felt very forced, the messages were a lot less daring and smart, and pop culture references we're too common and flat.

Koalas March posted:

Was that when Mcgruder left or whatever?

Yes, and the show's decline was very noticeable, whether McGruder leaving was the key reason or not. At least they had the mercy of cancelling the show before its reputation was tarnished.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 2, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

That episode from season 4 of the boondocks with siri and the her parody is legit one of the worst half hours of television around

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I can't help but think that these episodes might be better if they were tightened up to 22 minutes.

It feels like the pacing is glacial and the jokes that in seasons 1-3 would fly by at lightning speed (to let you come back and catch them on the 45th viewing) are stretched to the theoretical limit of Oscar's only remaining pair of pants.

I think the worst part of the Netflix era so far has been showrunners not being forced to trim and tighten the editing on their comedies.

I'm still enjoying season 5, but I think I had wrongly fooled myself into thinking it would revert back to network TV pacing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TealShark posted:

I think the worst part of the Netflix era so far has been showrunners not being forced to trim and tighten the editing on their comedies.

This is completely their own choice. There are plenty of Netflix series that still go by the 11 minute, 22 minute, and 44 minute episode length standard, such as The Toys that Made Us or Devilman Crybaby.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought some of the original S4 benefited from longer episodes, since they were focused on a single character's journey. The stories are as long as they need to be. No episode of S5 needed to be longer than 22 minutes though, especially since most episodes don't have any self contained plot lines or jokes. They just meander.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I laughed at the part where the cops got way to aggressive with Herbert Love's passed out body. That might be season 4 though, hard to remember now.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I laughed at the part where the cops got way to aggressive with Herbert Love's passed out body. That might be season 4 though, hard to remember now.

It was a good callback to the police pulling guns on Franklin

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A trademark of AD has always been a density of jokes. S5 is the least densely packed by an order of magnitude

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I miss Franklin.

JordanStiva
Jan 14, 2015
Having watched some of seasons 1+2 with the latest season fresh in mind, my biggest problem with Season 5 is that it feels like terrible Arrested Development fan fiction by people who didn't understand what made the first 3 - and I'll include Season 4 as it's own unique thing - seasons work. The fact this has been written by the creator makes the paucity of jokes and meandering, aimless plots even more unforgivable. When the show can't even be consistent with the censoring of swears which was, arguably, the original run's finest running joke, it just comes off as completely half-assed. Season 5 does not need to exist; they finally took a step too far and I'm not surprised it arrived with zero hype.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's mostly weird how amateurish it feels. It's like a promising pilot for a new show, but this is a very experienced cast and writing team.

I didn't hate it - that Keystone Kops bit is fantastic and easily a season highlight - but it's not that memorable. They should have had another time jump, it struggles living in Season 4's shadow.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
After the less-than-stellar season 4 I feel like this season would have needed to knock it out of the park to give hope for any more future seasons. Unfortunately this season is bad. Really bad. And that combined with The NY Times article and Netflix pulling its support is basically the final nail in the coffin.

I won’t rehash what everyone else has been saying about the worst parts of the season but I will reiterate that I think Maebe has been the best part and since Alia Shawkat came off as the hero of that Times article I hope it brings a lot of success in the future.

I do have one plot hole from last season that’s been bothering me. Last season Michael borrowed $700,000 from Lucille 2 to finally build Sudden Valley but got screwed when the housing market went bust. But later in the season he ropes in Gob to help him sell houses and later Gob reveals he ended up selling all of them to registered sex offenders who couldn’t live anywhere else.
So shouldn’t that mean that Michael’s real estate company is successful and should have at least something he could pay Lucille 2 back with? Where did all that money go? You could easily pretend that Gob embezzled the money or sold the houses for too cheap or whatever but unless I’m misremembering they never address it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
What was up with Kyle Mooney's character? They sort of explained who he is (Tobias's son), but they never show them meeting or how they came to live together or anything. He also hasn't had any effect on what's happened so far. And he hasn't done anything funny, which doesn't help.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 3, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I really liked "It's Relucto, the apprehensive clown!" "I don't wanna--" "There's his catchphrase!"

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
This season feels like it was supposed to be nonlinear like season 4 but then edited together chronologically. Like Gob and George sr. have their little Mexican road trip spread over two or three episodes and then are just kind of awkwardly in the penthouse when Michael shows up when it could have been confined to its own episode which would have also helped give each individual episode its own identity. I'm really struggling to remember what happened in each one since they never had their own arc or anything they just kind of trailed off into the next one.

The biggest laugh for me was "George Michael wanted to mention his dust allergy, but instead decided to merely hint at it." "There sure is a lot of dust here, huh?" But I can't remember why George Michael and maeby were even in Mexico when that happened and his explanation to Michael later was literally just "we were bored."

I even really liked season 4 when I first watched it and even when reaching the whole series in anticipation for season 5, but right now it's not like I'm salivating for more Arrested Development which is something I thought I'd never feel.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How loving amazing would the other 8 episodes have to be for this season to be good?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo this is bad. Time to just stop after 5 episodes. Not even a small laugh in all this time.

Put this show to pasture.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

I am Reverend posted:

This season feels like it was supposed to be nonlinear like season 4 but then edited together chronologically. Like Gob and George sr. have their little Mexican road trip spread over two or three episodes and then are just kind of awkwardly in the penthouse when Michael shows up when it could have been confined to its own episode which would have also helped give each individual episode its own identity. I'm really struggling to remember what happened in each one since they never had their own arc or anything they just kind of trailed off into the next one.

The biggest laugh for me was "George Michael wanted to mention his dust allergy, but instead decided to merely hint at it." "There sure is a lot of dust here, huh?" But I can't remember why George Michael and maeby were even in Mexico when that happened and his explanation to Michael later was literally just "we were bored."

I even really liked season 4 when I first watched it and even when reaching the whole series in anticipation for season 5, but right now it's not like I'm salivating for more Arrested Development which is something I thought I'd never feel.

Up to episode 4...

Yeah I found the whole Mexico arc super strange. It was like it was gearing up to bring the whole family together into the one place, or set up a season 4 esque moment where multiple characters were in India at the same time, as slowly revelealed over time. But on the whole the stories were divided ans didn't seem to have much of a consequence with one another and it all ended very quickly with the characters almost immediately returning to OC with a time skip... it feels like it should be like season 4 where we would return to this past moment from a different perspective Ina later episode, but thus far it doesn't look like it's being edited that way.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I don't want these.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
You can tell Netflix has no faith in this season given that I haven't seen a single ad for it anywhere on Youtube or... anywhere. No Google algorithms have showed me an ad, nothing.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I don't want these.

That was one of the best season 4 lines.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

You can tell Netflix has no faith in this season given that I haven't seen a single ad for it anywhere on Youtube or... anywhere. No Google algorithms have showed me an ad, nothing.
I actually thought the opposite. Netflix doesn't really advertise individual shows a ton, and they gave AD season 5 quite a push.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, remixing and promoting season 4 as new episodes felt like publicity to me.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, remixing and promoting season 4 as new episodes felt like publicity to me.

It was nearly a month of AD promotions for just half a season. It was almost surprising to me that there was that much considering it was a sucky half a season. The cast was even on a big media tour until it turned out 5/9ths of them are assholes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Wait, what? Tamboor is old news but did something else happen?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Wait, what? Tamboor is old news but did something else happen?

I don't even know if Tambor is a sexmonster, but just about all of the male cast, certainly including Tambor, are giant assholes.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Or were in that interview. You gotta give people the chance to change and learn from mistakes, which was kinda one point they were trying to make, in the most offensively inconsiderate manner possible.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
eugh why did they do the jenji kohan thing of playing jaunty upbeat songs whenever something happens. makes the show feel like weeds. its like they are going, look look how kooky this is :) :) :)

season is real bad

E: yeah episode 5 is exactly like a weeds episode.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 3, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

When is the next half of the episodes going to come out? Is it today?

I think I liked this half season more than Season 4. Not nearly as good as original AD, but aside from Lindsay, it felt like they had a much easier time getting the actors in the same room -- even if the jokes weren't all that rapid-fire, I do enjoy seeing the cast actually getting a chance to play off eachother. I also liked Tobias' scenes a lot better in this one, just hated every moment Debris was onscreen last season. Kooky meth heads just aren't funny to me, I guess. (That scene with her eating butter in the barter-restaurant is on my all-time worst TV list.) I wish they'd given him more of an arc, because for some reason I really liked the stuff with him pushing his son into acting, just wish we'd been around to see how that whole scenario got set up. Maybe flashbacks in the next halfseason?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

underage at the vape shop posted:

eugh why did they do the jenji kohan thing of playing jaunty upbeat songs whenever something happens. makes the show feel like weeds. its like they are going, look look how kooky this is :) :) :)

season is real bad

E: yeah episode 5 is exactly like a weeds episode.

They've always done that though except for the few scenes where they play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYq1w6N45Rc

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nichael posted:

They've always done that though except for the few scenes where they play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYq1w6N45Rc

https://youtu.be/UQHEfa1amv8

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't mean when they play a song for comedic effect like sound of silence or the the "whatcha trying to say to me" stuff, like just whenever someone is talking they have lots of upbeat background music like they are trying to remind you that this is something kooky and funny. When old AD used music, it was at the front, it was part of the joke. What I'm talking about is the background music that tries to que you to laugh at the very dumbed down and crap dialogue they have this season. It personally reminds me of Weeds and how poo poo that show got after season 2, I think they must have done the same thing. gently caress, even some of the jokes feel like Jenji herself wrote them.

E:
Like the piano here is the part of the joke and makes it funny. This season they've had less of that and more zany background stuff that you aren't really supposed to pay attention too but is there to try make the show feel funny, like a laughtack. It's really bad and once I noticed it I couldn't stop noticing.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 3, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

underage at the vape shop posted:

Like the piano here is the part of the joke and makes it funny. This season they've had less of that and more zany background stuff that you aren't really supposed to pay attention too but is there to try make the show feel funny, like a laughtack. It's really bad and once I noticed it I couldn't stop noticing.

That's an existing piece of music: "Christmastime Is Here" from the old Charlie Brown Christmas special, by jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi. And it's sad as hell, so it always cracks me up whenever they use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Part of me wonders if AD might not be a victim of it's own success: when it came out it was a new level of smarter comedy on tv, there was nothing like it. In the past 15 years more shows emulate it, and even drama tv has become smarter and more serial. Even if AD didn't actually get worse it could seem quaint by comparison.

• Locked thread