Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Out of curiousity, why is Scurll's name in katakana(?) on the graphic but Sho was in English?

both the roppongi 3k boys spell their names SHO and YOH in allcaps, so does KUSHIDA. it's just because it's cool, really.

minoru suzuki also spells his ring name みのる instead of in kanji, presumably for "it's cool" reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Out of curiousity, why is Scurll's name in katakana(?) on the graphic but Sho was in English?

I think it's because it's stylized in all caps. They do the same for KUSHIDA, YOH, and others.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KUSHIDA is in all caps because he's loving rad :rock:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

Go Sho, but Hiromu/KUSHIDA still go 25+ minutes anyway!
Feels like this was a very prescient post. This match feels like it's going to go long.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God he's dead

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy gently caress he tapped :stare:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
whoa

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Didn't expect a tap-out!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Holy gently caress that piledriver :stonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hiromu vs Ishimori gonna be real interesting.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
That piledriver was pretty nasty yeah :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phenix Rising posted:

Holy gently caress that piledriver :stonk:

I legit thought the ref was just gonna call the match off when KUSHIDA was in the final Triangle, because the piledriver had KOed him or something.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/dragon_leecmll/status/1003248582743355393

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God if Ishimori had pulled that off :vince:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy fuccccccck

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

That match hosed me up real good. Mask ripping always makes me anxious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phenix Rising posted:

That match hosed me up real good. Mask ripping always makes me anxious.

The crowd wailing in terror whenever it happened was so great too

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

finals tomorrow in korakuen at the usual time of 5:30 eastern, rest of card tba

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The crowd wailing in terror whenever it happened was so great too

The hushed murmuring is what got me. Made it felt like something genuinely bad had happened.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I ended up falling behind on the on demand shows. Tried catching up the last couple days but there's only so much wrestling I can watch before I get the urge to do other things.

So of the shows I've not seen (Wednesday, Thursday & yesterday) are there any matches worth watching before tomorrow's final?

I also want to add that I really enjoyed Chase Owens and his dad jokes on commentary.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

So who is winning tomorrow? I really want to see Hiromu vs Ospreay at Dominion, Ishimori doesn’t excite me that much. But it seems like Ishimori beating Ospreay on the first night is clearly building to them having a title match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ospreay freaking out over Ishimori making it through to the final got me excited for them to go at it again with the title on the line this time.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Bone Soldier winning would certainly make the most sense considering the story they've been telling between him and Ospreay (and since a victory would establish Ishimori even further). However, I can't quite shake the feeling that Gedo could throw us a curveball and have Hiromu win the tournament and Ishimori challenge Ospreay based on his victory in the block match at a later date.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

So who is winning tomorrow? I really want to see Hiromu vs Ospreay at Dominion, Ishimori doesn’t excite me that much. But it seems like Ishimori beating Ospreay on the first night is clearly building to them having a title match.

They could easily do Hiromu winning the tournament and still do Ospreay/Ishimori later based on Ospreay losing to him, but they did Hiromu challenging not that long ago and I think Gedo has Hiromu set as a Jr tag guy right now.

I assume Rey's wrestling Scurll, because if it was Liger, there's no reason not to announce it ahead of time, and Ospreay's already booked with the winner of the tournament.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Finally managed to catch up with all of the tournament after trailing behind a lot, and a couple of thoughts:

- From the previous show, I like the call-back to the end of Eddie vs Kurt Wrestlemania ending, with Scurll escaping the ankle lock thanks to an untied show and then rolling up Taguchi
- SHO and YOH are both very drat good already
- Tiger Mask IV managed to impress me a whole lot in this tournament
- Kanemaru didn't
- Somewhat disappointed in Ishimori, expected more from him, but there is always the final match
- Seeing Honma back and announcing his return to the ring, while Milano will seemingly never return, makes me sad. At least we'll never run out of "MCA.T reacts to people trying the Paradise Lock" gifs.

And on a seperate note, while checking Charlton's twitter for what Hiromu was saying, something else caught my eye:

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1003247307024826368

When the hell was Tama Tonga a junior?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

2010. His first year in New Japan. He seems bigger but his listed weight on Wikipedia is just 209lbs.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/tama_tonga/status/838056147433082880

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Honma looks so weird to me, almost like an action doll, not to mention he must have the raspiest voice in wrestling.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Bloody hell. Didn't know he was part of Los Wakai Raions de Japon.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Oh man, Dragon Lee playing homage to Shibata already got to me but apparently Shibata was watching the match from the exit.

https://twitter.com/312mnn/status/1003282291517296642

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Baron Corbyn posted:

The hushed murmuring is what got me. Made it felt like something genuinely bad had happened.

That really made it for me. I don't think the same thing happening in a North American promotion would get the same reaction. Probably "holy poo poo" or some other chant instead of everyone being legitimately aghast. I think the whole mask thing made that one of my favorite matches of the show because it was so stressful.

Also, if that young boy had an extra mask right there to give Despy at the end of the match why not give it to him sooner?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Germansimp posted:

And on a seperate note, while checking Charlton's twitter for what Hiromu was saying, something else caught my eye:

If you're listening to the Japanese commentary I can't blame you, because they get super-pumped up and excited for everything, particularly in the main events. But I'd highly recommend switching over to the English commentary for at least the post-match as they have a guy who actually translates the post-match promos as they're being done.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I need to make sure I go to bed early so that I can be up in time for the Main Event tomorrow.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I thought this was a pretty great show and every match basically hit what it was trying to do.

EDIT: Also Chase Owens was surprisingly good on commentary. Chase Owens is pretty great at every role he's done with New Japan.

Willninho fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 3, 2018

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Despy wrestling a full finishing stretch after a mask rip while keeping his face hidden using any means available is one of the top performances of the year. :stwoon:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Man, Watanabe really got buff since then, didn't he?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Baron Corbyn posted:

Oh man, Dragon Lee playing homage to Shibata already got to me but apparently Shibata was watching the match from the exit.

https://twitter.com/312mnn/status/1003282291517296642

This loving whips rear end

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Carlioo posted:

Honma looks so weird to me, almost like an action doll, not to mention he must have the raspiest voice in wrestling.
im obliged to post this every time honmas voice gets brought up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsprwPMkvXA

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just watched Taguchi v KUSHIDA and I love that NJPW will do that from time to time just to keep us on our toes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
That was an excellent show and the finals should be fun. Rooting for Hiromu and very ready for Dominion hype to start in earnest tomorrow.