Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Charlie Hunman was in Queer as Folk , I think people forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

However the motherfuck John Wayne still stands

The pettiest John Wayne story is how he wrote a whiny letter to Rex Stout to personally inform him that he was no longer going to read any Nero Wolfe novels after The Doorbell Rang because he was just SO OFFENDED that it featured Wolfe outsmarting the FBI by exposing them spying on American citizens and then making a fool of J. Edgar Hoover.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

Abraham Lincoln probably didn't like trannies but there is a monument to him in Washington DC. Something something Adolf Hitler, Elvis doc looks like poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

The pettiest John Wayne story is how he wrote a whiny letter to Rex Stout to personally inform him that he was no longer going to read any Nero Wolfe novels after The Doorbell Rang because he was just SO OFFENDED that it featured Wolfe outsmarting the FBI by exposing them spying on American citizens and then making a fool of J. Edgar Hoover.

Lol. I thought he was a lovely actor as soon as I was old enough to have opinions about him, and any time I hear something about him it's just more about how he was a lovely person in real life too.

No argument here, gently caress John Wayne (and that dumb trailer, which ironically he probably would've had a conniption about)

Friend fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 30, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Pycckuu posted:

Abraham Lincoln probably didn't like trannies but there is a monument to him in Washington DC. Something something Adolf Hitler, Elvis doc looks like poo poo.

dont post...please

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pycckuu posted:

what is this trailer

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Friend posted:

Lol. I thought he was a lovely actor as soon as I was old enough to have opinions about him, and any time I hear something about him it's just more about how he was a lovely person in real life too.

Wayne also turned down the Gary Cooper role in High Noon because he realised that it was subtly anti-blacklisting and he thought blacklisting was the bee's knees.

(Gary Cooper was politically conservative like Wayne, but he was anti-blacklisting.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeBMQpzoEXQ

This movie looks awful, but if you ever wanted to see Jennifer Garner play the Punisher, this is it right here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wayne also turned down the Gary Cooper role in High Noon because he realised that it was subtly anti-blacklisting and he thought blacklisting was the bee's knees.

(Gary Cooper was politically conservative like Wayne, but he was anti-blacklisting.)

John Wayne was also a draft dodger (to fight the drat Nazis) and serial divorcee. A genuinely bad person.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The excuse was cute, too: the world simply needed him and his movies to fight. Meanwhile Jimmy Stewart is like a gunner on a B-52 and Rod Serling is a paratrooper. Proud history of chickenhawk conservatives in the US.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GrandpaPants posted:

This movie looks awful, but if you ever wanted to see Jennifer Garner play the Punisher, this is it right here.

gently caress no, that looks rad as hell.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

GrandpaPants posted:

Drug war movie propaganda is normally pretty vile, but the new breed is like over the top 80s action star flicks meet 70s vigilante justice flicks and its unusually gross.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kiimo posted:

yeah it sucks having to constantly use an airport named after the motherfucker. talk about lovely worthless white culture.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The excuse was cute, too: the world simply needed him and his movies to fight. Meanwhile Jimmy Stewart is like a gunner on a B-52 and Rod Serling is a paratrooper. Proud history of chickenhawk conservatives in the US.

John Ford gave Wayne poo poo about that for the rest of his life. There was a movie they did together where each member of the cast had their rank listed next to their name & Wayne was the only one with nothing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Probably still better than Ted Nugent allegedly making GBS threads himself to avoid being sent to Vietnam.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How great would it be if you'd never heard of Newt Gingrich, Ted Nugent or Rush Limbaugh because they were killed by the Vietcong?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 31, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What makes Nugent particularly irritating is that he continued to be loudly pro-war and boasted about how he totally would have been an ultimate badass soldier like Rambo if he'd actually been sent to Vietnam.

Edit: Check out this performance by Academy AwardTM-winning actor John Wayne.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 31, 2018

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Eh, John Wayne stayed out of the war so he could stay home and gently caress Marlene Dietrich. Can you blame him?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

yeah it sucks having to constantly use an airport named after the motherfucker. talk about lovely worthless white culture.

I use Bob Hope and he ruled. His scandals all involve a 3-wood.

His penis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My local airport is named after George Best because of course the Irish would name an airport after a famous drunk.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Eh, John Wayne stayed out of the war so he could stay home and gently caress Marlene Dietrich. Can you blame him?
Getting out of going to war is very sensible and I'd never hold that against anyone. But if you then turn around and start beating the drums of war you can go gently caress off. John Wayne should burn in hell for making The Green Berets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, there's no shame in refusing to fight but if you do you kind of have to stick to your (metaphorical) guns.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I’m not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be. I don’t think a fella should be able to sit on his backside and receive welfare. I’d like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."

I think he made so many westerns because he loved the bootstraps.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, there's no shame in refusing to fight but if you do you kind of have to stick to your (metaphorical) guns.

Make no mistake, I support anyone who refuses to participate in war, but the chickenhawks should be forcibly conscripted.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The only wars you get a (small) ding for dodging are the American Civil War (Union side), that war where the Mesopotamians all teamed up because the Assyrians wouldn't stop putting babies on spikes or whatever, and the Star Wars.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kiimo posted:

I use Bob Hope and he ruled. His scandals all involve a 3-wood.

His penis.
Excuse me sir I think you mean you use Hollywood Burbank Airport :colbert:
They noped the great white Hope

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Whatever its called it is the best airport I've ever had the pleasure of using. Loading in the front and the back at the same time right on the tarmac is so logical of course nobody else does it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

Whatever its called it is the best airport I've ever had the pleasure of using. Loading in the front and the back at the same time right on the tarmac is so logical of course nobody else does it.

Most of the rest of the world does it, and America used to, before we became chuds

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Most of the rest of the world does it, and America used to, before we became chuds

I travel the world pretty heavily and it’s extremely rare to find an airport that loads both ends anywhere. A welcome surprise when they do, but most of the world is sadly a huge exaggeration.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Bugblatter posted:

I travel the world pretty heavily and it’s extremely rare to find an airport that loads both ends anywhere. A welcome surprise when they do, but most of the world is sadly a huge exaggeration.

Last time I experienced it was in Naples and it ruled but was overshadowed by the l knowledge that I was leaving Naples.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, I guess you're right. During my travels in Africa and India it was commonplace.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
e: wrong thread!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Message getting a 4K re-release this Eid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRo7rjAiAw8

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 2, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I'm into both of these

Idris Elba directed crime drama about yardies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItW6evHbE8

And one of those desperate Americana thrillers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMmyzi6tAhM

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

holy moly michael shannon as a sad/cynical rodeo clown im there day one

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Huh didn't expect what I saw when I looked it up tho
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_Boy_(film)
Probably not a whole lot of Shannon

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I am fully bought in on this Mission Impossible: Fallout insanity.

https://youtu.be/2BnOebsDtAQ

I hope we get a much longer featurette on this on Blu.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

So loving hyped for this movie.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

feedmyleg posted:

Tom Cruise is insane(ly dedicated to his craft).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

feedmyleg posted:

Tom Cruise has a death wish but it's so loving entertaining to watch