Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I know this has been brought up before but what dishes would you all do for a 5 item, cold and hot, menu for a brewery with pretty much no kitchen space (licensing)
Chicken yakitori, and flat top classics like yakisoba and okonomiyaki. Pickled salads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Field Mousepad posted:

Make sure you do a sauce or some kind of marinade out of one of your popular beers. Or wine or whatever the hell.

Beer cheese sauce and pretzels. Bite size rather than whole, so easy to share.

Also, house pickles if you can get away with it. Goes with the cheese plate.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Beer cheese sauce and pretzels. Bite size rather than whole, so easy to share.

Also, house pickles if you can get away with it. Goes with the cheese plate.

Pickle something cool. My go-tos this summer are watermelon rind and okra, but a mix of red/orange/yellow bell peppers, or beets, or celery, or drat near anything else is also a solid choice. Or if you're going to do cucumber, make sure it's not just a generic dill or B&B. I did some kimchi pickles last year for an event to go with some braised pig tongue and people went loving batshit.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I do kimchi green beans in a mason jar for a bar snack. Upsell a soju shot with the juice as a back

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Pickled fruits in general are becoming more popular lately.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
So a chef friend of mine is looking to get a tattoo focused on salt. I can only think of chemical structures (because i am a nerd) which are boring as gently caress.

Any good ideas as far as salty tatoos?

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 6, 2018

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Dumbass double post.

vvvv: he's trying to go a little more "science/gastronomy" with it.

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 6, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
A salt shaker maybe? There's like 100 different things you could get.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
No, there's only one:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Quabzor posted:

So a chef friend of mine is looking to get a tattoo focused on salt. I can only think of chemical structures (because i am a nerd) which are boring as gently caress.

heat salt until it's literally molten and slap it on his arm

real men scar, they don't tattoo

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm just going to say to talk your friend out of getting a tattoo based off Salt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mindphlux posted:

Does that make all the sugar burns on my wrists trendy?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
M O R E S A L T across the knuckles

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Y'all are crazy, that achewood tattoo is legend.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Quabzor posted:

Way back I worked with a guy who got the sizes of tablespoon/teaspoon dry measures tattooed on the inside of his palm. That was kinda neat. :shrug:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quabzor posted:

I'd suggest a tattoo of a silhouette of a male (labeled "Na") banging a silhouette of a female (labeled "Cl") from behind, with the woman projectile-vomiting the word "FLAVOR".

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hey gu :yikes:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

Nah, load a shotgun with rock salt, shoot your friend with it, have DRY CURED tattooed around the scar

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I'd suggest a tattoo of a silhouette of a male (labeled "Na") banging a silhouette of a female (labeled "Cl") from behind, with the woman projectile-vomiting the word "FLAVOR".

Make sure you capture his 'O' face.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

pile of brown posted:

M O R E S A L T across the knuckles

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Willie Tomg posted:

Way back I worked with a guy who got the sizes of tablespoon/teaspoon dry measures tattooed on the inside of his palm. That was kinda neat. :shrug:

knew a carpenter guy who had accurate length measurements tattooed on his arm

or it was accurate when he got it tattooed, and then he got fat

palms prolly work better

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah until they wear off after a month. Because they're on your palm.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Palms last pretty well for a calloused area, but that’s because you have to implant the ink pretty deep, meaning getting your palms tattooed is much more painful than the average tattoo. Same thing with Achilles’ tendon/heels... ask me how I know. Hahaha.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Quabzor posted:

Salt bae silhouette

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Salt bae silhouette

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Tell them to get something cold war related, a couple of nukes, peace sign or radiation symbol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Arms_Limitation_Talks

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

nice Jawbreaker tattoo

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anthony Bourdain is dead...apparently suicide...

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Came here for this.. ugh this is one of the few celeb suicides that made me shed tears. Whatever he is now, he was real inspirational to me coming up in the ranks. The industry sucks. I started therapy a year ago and wish I did ten years ago. Get help if you need it.. whatever it takes.

e: ERIC RIPERT FOUND HIM ARE YOU KIDDING ME :( :( :(

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 8, 2018

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Anthony Bourdain was a loving legend. What a terrible shame.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
He could be polarizing at times but he seemed like a good dude all around.

Rip Tony

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
RIP my dude. Those shows were some of the best.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

gently caress, that’s depressing. And hear I thought he was one of the few who pulled through and made a pretty sweet life of it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
We're all doomed :smith:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Agreed on this being one of those celebrity deaths to actually affect me. I wanted to meet him someday man. And some of those moments, like at The Sizzler, or Waffle House. He wasn't a stodgy grump like some chefs. You'll be missed Tony.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

He also was one of the greatest human beings as a person you could find.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Thread

https://twitter.com/toastasaurus/status/1005069391938060288

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm going to go against the grain here, but screw that. I've dealt with suicides on a personal level, help is available if you need it. I loved the guy's writing, I enjoyed his shows, but if it was that bad he could have gotten help.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm going to go against the grain here, but screw that. I've dealt with suicides on a personal level, help is available if you need it. I loved the guy's writing, I enjoyed his shows, but if it was that bad he could have gotten help.

holy poo poo dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shooting Blanks posted:

The one thing that stuck with me, and this came out when Robin Williams committed suicide, is this (and I'm pretty sure this was a Williams skit, but I could be wrong) paraphrased skit:

Guy: Doctor, I'm depressed.
Doctor: Well, take a few days off. Also, go see this famous comedian in town.
Guy: I am that comedian!

Also,
https://twitter.com/jennyyangtv/status/1005094188898123776