Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

When do the Giant Bomb guys usually do that audio only car stream of them driving to LA?

I love listening to that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Infinitum posted:

Bungie working on non-Destiny game. Scored 100 million in funding.
https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46925

Probably won't be seeing any info on this for a while

:tutbutt:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

Platinum is made up of the remnants of Clover, which was a Capcom studio

I know in the anime industry lots of studios outsource their workers to other studios for single contracts. Probably doesn't happen in video games as much because production and development is a lot longer.

Japanese companies don't tend to be nice to ex employees though so I doubt we will ever see a Platinum x Capcom. If I remember correctly after creator of Megaman left Capcom they basically turned megaman into a joke and didn't release any main game or spin off for it until now. Even that it seems they only want to rub it into Inafune's face because how shite Mighty Number 9 was.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Hopper posted:

So my guess is Bordlerands 3 got delayed to 2019 to not lose any sweet money on the Borderlands 1 Remaster? All this remaster business is lazy as hell. We need new games on PC not remasters.

Considering that BL2 was funded in part by embezzling Sega cash meant for Aliens: Colonial Marines, I'd say this is more of a desperate fund drive than anything else.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Ulio posted:

I know in the anime industry lots of studios outsource their workers to other studios for single contracts. Probably doesn't happen in video games as much because production and development is a lot longer.

Japanese companies don't tend to be nice to ex employees though so I doubt we will ever see a Platinum x Capcom. If I remember correctly after creator of Megaman left Capcom they basically turned megaman into a joke and didn't release any main game or spin off for it until now. Even that it seems they only want to rub it into Inafune's face because how shite Mighty Number 9 was.

Platinum said they're willing to work with Capcom. I'm not sure the feeling is mutual on Capcom's end.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dick Boat posted:

When do the Giant Bomb guys usually do that audio only car stream of them driving to LA?

I love listening to that poo poo.

Probably Friday the 8th, since the first conference (EA) is on Saturday.

Will likely be here

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Bungie working on non-Destiny game. Scored 100 million in funding.
https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/46925

Probably won't be seeing any info on this for a while

hilarious how they gently caress up bigtime over and loving over on their game but get 100mil more to create another shitheap that they end up saying "sorry" for like 10x a month

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's very hard to care about triple A gaming when there are tons of double A and below games that are really, really good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's very hard to care about triple A gaming when there are tons of double A and below games that are really, really good.
Yeah, its not like the dark times of the early years of last gen where mid-tier developers were going extinct and indie wasn't a thing yet.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

They monetize things to the point where I don't care about the game. I picked up rainbow six siege and it plays excellent. But 12500 points to unlock a uniform (cosmetic) or 25000 for a new character. If you're playing coop and not competitive you earn about 36 - 125 a match. Lmao. Or pay RAINBOW SIX BUX and get the uniform for FIVE $$$ USD. Insane.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Glenn Quebec posted:

You should care because the AAA market has become increasingly homogenized to produce fewer and fewer titles that all fall into the category of multiplayer shootman games with a microtransaction model, with less and less room for high-quality, single-player narrative experiences. The fact that good games still get made in 2018 does not reverse this overall trend. It kinda sucks if you like primarily single-player games that don't look like horrible pieces of pixel art crap and are thinking about where the market will be in the future.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DLC Inc posted:

hilarious how they gently caress up bigtime over and loving over on their game but get 100mil more to create another shitheap that they end up saying "sorry" for like 10x a month

Destiny is in a genre that's in high demand and very forgiving to poor launches. Games like The Division and Diablo 3 faced tremendous backlash at the beginning but retained a strong userbase through updates.

It'll start getting crowded soon. We have Anthem and Avengers showing up at e3.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh is avengers an mmolite?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah what is going on with that what is the Deus Ex team doing with Avengers???

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

They monetize things to the point where I don't care about the game. I picked up rainbow six siege and it plays excellent. But 12500 points to unlock a uniform (cosmetic) or 25000 for a new character. If you're playing coop and not competitive you earn about 36 - 125 a match. Lmao. Or pay RAINBOW SIX BUX and get the uniform for FIVE $$$ USD. Insane.

Don't play terrorist hunt.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Real hurthling! posted:

They've been hiring a lot of multiplayer/co-op/RPG/cover shooter talent. If it's not a online co-op Destiny style game then it might be closer to something like Ghost Recon Wildlands or the Bonderlands series.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah what is going on with that what is the Deus Ex team doing with Avengers???

Supposedly, Crystal Dynamics is heading an Avengers game (with help from other Eidos studios) and Eidos Montreal is heading a Guardians of the Galaxy game.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
In the grimdark gaming future of mmo shootman mtx and mobile phones ruling all, the older generation of gamers all over the world sit in their basements and lovingly caress their screens that emit a faint neon glow onto their faces, all chanting in unison:

"All hail to the 90ies Backlog, our savior in trying times" as they click on their gog login.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sunning posted:

Platinum said they're willing to work with Capcom. I'm not sure the feeling is mutual on Capcom's end.

I mean if Capcom really had a vendetta against Platinum and Kamiya and the like would they even have allowed Mega Man and Ryu to show up in her Smash promo art?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The late handheld megaman games as well as 9 and 10 were by an external company of ex-capcom employees, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Capcom barely knows what the gently caress they're doing. I'm amazed Megaman 11 even got a greenlight. Stuff like RE7 being successful is almost by accident. A company so devoid of talent and quality control would be blessed to ever work with Platinum again, honestly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DLC Inc posted:

Capcom barely knows what the gently caress they're doing. I'm amazed Megaman 11 even got a greenlight. Stuff like RE7 being successful is almost by accident. A company so devoid of talent and quality control would be blessed to ever work with Platinum again, honestly.

Monster Hunter World is GameOfThisYear and has had amazing post-release support. I can also throw a hadouken in said game, as Ryu, with sound effects.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

Re7 did not do what capcom wanted afaik

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Capcom expects to spend zero dollars on anything and get 1000% returns so everything MHW did was totally in spite of itself.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Monster Hunter World is GameOfThisYear and has had amazing post-release support. I can also throw a hadouken in said game, as Ryu, with sound effects.

As cool as that is and as much as I love World I'm not dropping $8 extra for it.

The free monster updates are cool and enough for me.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

exquisite tea posted:

You should care because the AAA market has become increasingly homogenized to produce fewer and fewer titles that all fall into the category of multiplayer shootman games with a microtransaction model, with less and less room for high-quality, single-player narrative experiences. The fact that good games still get made in 2018 does not reverse this overall trend. It kinda sucks if you like primarily single-player games that don't look like horrible pieces of pixel art crap and are thinking about where the market will be in the future.

Ok, I care now. What's the next step?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ok, I care now. What's the next step?

Kill anyone who makes another goddamn pixel art game.

Also what exquisite tea is saying is basically bullshit so don't worry about it.

E: I'm going to bed so; The idea that the AAA level of studios (whatever that concept is worth anymore) only makes shooters with lootboxes is laughable at best. Yes, two of the largest AAA studios make shooters with lootboxes because those are two of their largest franchises. Plenty of single-player narrative games still get made - whether or not they're ones you like, or are good, is of course another issue.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 2, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Kill anyone who makes another goddamn pixel art or RPG Maker game.

FTFY

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hooting and hollering for the Unity asset flips, RPG Maker, and visual novel indie games

Electric Phantasm posted:

As cool as that is and as much as I love World I'm not dropping $8 extra for it.

Yeah I'll pay for the inevitable Ultimate upgrade but miss me with those $8 emotes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's cool that after making a big deal about supporting single player story games Bethesda turned Fallout into a multiplayer survival game.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I want Marvel Heroes to return, pre Omega.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

Oh my...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Electric Phantasm posted:

:ssh: It's free.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's cool that after making a big deal about supporting single player story games Bethesda turned Fallout into a multiplayer survival game.

They can do what they want since they have Arkane/id/Tango/Machinegames to make all the singleplayer immersive sims and shooters. I'm sure Prey expansion and RAGE will be their tentpole stuff beyond Fallout.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Capcom expects to spend zero dollars on anything and get 1000% returns so everything MHW did was totally in spite of itself.

Ya Japanese publishers have some ridiculous expectations. Wasn't Tomb Raider a failure for Square because they wanted it to sell like 7 million copies or something when it sold only like 3? Also RE7 sold pretty well considering how RE6 turned off a lot of people from RE games.

Last 2 big capcom games were pretty good(MonHun & RE7) and DMC5 could be potentially great.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fat_Cow posted:

Only if it's by an actually competent developer.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Hopper posted:

In the grimdark gaming future of mmo shootman mtx and mobile phones ruling all, the older generation of gamers all over the world sit in their basements and lovingly caress their screens that emit a faint neon glow onto their faces, all chanting in unison:

"All hail to the 90ies Backlog, our savior in trying times" as they click on their gog login.

This new chapter of Marshall Brain's manna is too short.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ulio posted:

Ya Japanese publishers have some ridiculous expectations. Wasn't Tomb Raider a failure for Square because they wanted it to sell like 7 million copies or something when it sold only like 3? Also RE7 sold pretty well considering how RE6 turned off a lot of people from RE games.

Last 2 big capcom games were pretty good(MonHun & RE7) and DMC5 could be potentially great.

I remember that tomb raider one. Game sold many millions and was undoubtedly financially profitable, yet it was a "failure" cause it still didn't sell more, and make more yet. I guess you could say it didn't meet projections but their wording on it was pretty rear end backwards.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If Nintendo announces a new Animal Crossing for the Switch this E3 I’ll pee my pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Square during that period was hemorrhaging money due to the utter disaster that was original FF14 and they put all the brunt of the pressure on their Western dev-teams to make up for it instead of cracking down on their crappy in-house devs.

• Locked thread