Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kidcoelacanth posted:

NASCAR absolutely can survive, it's just a matter of whoever's running it making the right decisions.

NASCAR will be fine. As marginal fans leave there will be less money in the sport. Not the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sex Weirdo posted:

What do you think the right decisions would be though? People like to talk about aero packages and race scheduling but I'm not convinced that would be enough.

Get rid of everything people hate and stop trying to be bigger than the NFL

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sex Weirdo posted:

What do you think the right decisions would be though? People like to talk about aero packages and race scheduling but I'm not convinced that would be enough.

at this point i don't think it would be. there's a lot of people who left and likely won't come back no matter what, i'm probably one of those because i have been away from the sport so long and just do not find myself missing it at all. like maybe if they axed the chase entirely, pared the schedule down to 28 races or less a year and ditch a lot of the same-y cookie cutters, gave the cars way more mechanical grip and way less aero grip with tires that actually wore, and just in general stopped trying to spice the racing up with stupid fuckin gimmicks like gwc and stages, maybe i would give it another shot, but lmfao @ the idea that they'd do any one of these things let alone all of them.

i don't know that nascar dies outright but it's certainly never going to be a premier thing in popular culture like it was for a while. and hell it may yet die entirely if shitfucks who know jack nothing about racing like brian france keep running the show.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Luckily there might not be a "they" to speak of if the morons sell it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Luckily there might not be a "they" to speak of if the morons sell it

this assumes that whoever buys it is smarter than briance france. i'm not sure this is a safe assumption.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this assumes that whoever buys it is smarter than briance france. i'm not sure this is a safe assumption.

I would argue that it's nearly impossible to be stupider than Brian France.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

watch them sell it to Bernie Ecclestone or the McMahons or something

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I would argue that it's nearly impossible to be stupider than Brian France.

this is america kid. we elected donald fuckin trump as president. never underestimate the idiocy of this country.

also there's the possibility of it being sold to someone who is just flat-out malicious. that is sure as poo poo not uncommon. i could totally see some dude taking it over, milking it for everything its worth to line his own pockets while it burned to the ground, like the dude who is in charge of sears. or a leveraged buyout that murderkills it a la toys r us.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

watch them sell it to Bernie Ecclestone or the McMahons or something

What I wouldn't give to live in a world where Bernie runs NASCAR...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is america kid. we elected donald fuckin trump as president. never underestimate the idiocy of this country.

also there's the possibility of it being sold to someone who is just flat-out malicious. that is sure as poo poo not uncommon. i could totally see some dude taking it over, milking it for everything its worth to line his own pockets while it burned to the ground, like the dude who is in charge of sears. or a leveraged buyout that murderkills it a la toys r us.

Lmfao why would anyone use loving NASCAR for that purpose

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

also as I don't follow the NFL anymore, isn't Brian trying to buy the Panthers or something?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
When does the TV contract end?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Low Desert Punk posted:

my best buddy used to be a big fan of NASCAR, and he's told me in the past that the sport is basically about to go extinct because of lack of interest from viewers and advertisers. That it would probably be dead in the next 10 to 20 years. is that a real thing?

Others have pretty well covered it but, Brian France, in his wisdom, wanted to be bigger than the NFL and got to a point where they endlessly tinkered with the schedule (Labor Day to Fontana), the car (CoT), the playoff format (what are we on, Chase v5.0?), race formats (stages), and even start times ("Your Regularly Scheduled Adrenaline Rush" which was such a good idea that they got rid of it and rolled back to later starts to accommodate the West Coast AudienceTM).

Instead of letting any of it ride for a while, it seemed like everything they thought warranted a change required that change right now, even to the point where NASCAR once said "we reserve the right to make changes as we see fit".

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Eh, while I agree in general with this notion, Brian France took a rising sport, saw an iceberg in the open ocean, aimed for it because it would draw eyes, and ran the ship full-speed into it because it would look cool. As we've seen in recent years, Lesa and Jim stood on the bridge and encouraged him. After he hit it, he told everybody to stay on board because :tif:. It can't really get any worse than that.

Elephanthead posted:

When does the TV contract end?

2024. If I remember right, FOX was until 2022 but added two years to align with NBC. That'll be the most pivotal moment of all with regards to NASCAR's future.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 4, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the jig is up when the TV money fountain gets turned off and suddenly NASCAR isn't getting billions to put 34,000 asses in seats

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Well I got all hyped up about actually watching Indy cars during the 500 last week and decided to watch Belle Isle yesterday and today and saw something for the first time ever in any form of racing what-so-ever. For those that didn't see it, the Celebrity Pace Car Driver, some GM executive, took the pace car off pit road, lit up the tires and promptly stuffed it into the wall. Clean up, re-firing and resetting the grid took about 40 minutes or so. I've never seen the track have to go to the backup car for a pace car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqECTJJx6w

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

bigbillystyle posted:

I've never seen the track have to go to the backup car for a pace car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE5NdwoWJTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfQ2jjn0w-s

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGD-jj6u8Uc

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Others have pretty well covered it but, Brian France, in his wisdom, wanted to be bigger than the NFL and got to a point where they endlessly tinkered with the schedule (Labor Day to Fontana), the car (CoT), the playoff format (what are we on, Chase v5.0?), race formats (stages), and even start times ("Your Regularly Scheduled Adrenaline Rush" which was such a good idea that they got rid of it and rolled back to later starts to accommodate the West Coast AudienceTM).

Instead of letting any of it ride for a while, it seemed like everything they thought warranted a change required that change right now, even to the point where NASCAR once said "we reserve the right to make changes as we see fit".

To add, NASCAR is a sport where fans primarily follow individuals (drivers), not institutions (teams.) In the last 2-3 years, some of NASCAR's most popular drivers over the last 10-15 years have retired. For example, 5 of the 10 finalists for NASCAR's Most Popular Driver Award in 2013 have retired. And 2 more are in the final stages of their careers. Most notably, Dale Earnhardt Jr., the son of NASCAR's most iconic figure and NASCAR's Most Popular Driver for the last 15 years, retired last season. I was watching G3 of the SCF last night, and NASCAR/NBC was desperate to let you know that Dale Jr. is still here! He's not on the track but he is in the booth so that means Junior is still here! Please watch.

So the sport you watch is constantly changing to where you can't keep up, the on-track product is mediocre, and now your favorite drivers are retiring. Why keep watching?

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I 100% agree it is mostly about the drivers, and that is what will get fans to tune in and asses in the seats. I want to see some blue collar poo poo-talking bad rear end dudes with the balls and talent to back it up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
they have a sport with amazing personalities and lovely racing. its called pro-wrestling.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile Indy has had... it's 6th different winner in 8 races. NBCSN viewership is slightly up or holding steady. New teams are joining and younger drivers are not only popular, but successful. There's a new TV deal, and NBC itself reached out to Verizon to try to keep them on.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

I had never seen those. Surprised I don't remember that one from Peanut but maybe I didn't watch the allstar that year. The only thing that came to mind was the time that dude stole a pace car at Talladega but he didn't wreck it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICi3kIzSIZg

YouTube is now telling me safety car incidents aren't all that out of the ordinary and usually involve them doing something stupid or unexpected resulting in a race car hitting them but not too many unassisted 1 car incidents.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Meanwhile Indy has had... it's 6th different winner in 8 races. NBCSN viewership is slightly up or holding steady. New teams are joining and younger drivers are not only popular, but successful. There's a new TV deal, and NBC itself reached out to Verizon to try to keep them on.

Attendance at races is also up. Detroit apparently did quite a bit better than last year, Long Beach had its best year since the CART days, and Portland is selling like hotcakes. And while I haven't followed NASCAR regularly in years and years, seeing how far the Brickyard has fallen here in Indy does make me a bit sad. Absolutely no one here gives a gently caress about it anymore.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex-2sxEhocU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
all these new posts and none of them are about pocono this is peak NASCAR thread

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There were no foxes in the SAFER barrier this time around.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Godzilla07 posted:

To add, NASCAR is a sport where fans primarily follow individuals (drivers), not institutions (teams.) In the last 2-3 years, some of NASCAR's most popular drivers over the last 10-15 years have retired. For example, 5 of the 10 finalists for NASCAR's Most Popular Driver Award in 2013 have retired. And 2 more are in the final stages of their careers. Most notably, Dale Earnhardt Jr., the son of NASCAR's most iconic figure and NASCAR's Most Popular Driver for the last 15 years, retired last season. I was watching G3 of the SCF last night, and NASCAR/NBC was desperate to let you know that Dale Jr. is still here! He's not on the track but he is in the booth so that means Junior is still here! Please watch.

So the sport you watch is constantly changing to where you can't keep up, the on-track product is mediocre, and now your favorite drivers are retiring. Why keep watching?

I think the biggest problem that NASCAR faces with the drivers is you have a bunch of new drivers: Chase, Byron, Bubba, Saurez, Blaney, Bowman, Jones, and a couple others I'm likely forgetting. Of those, there is all of one win. One. The new drivers are great for the teams because they can be paid cheaply, but if all the older drivers are taking the wins and strangling any chance of the new ones from progressing from potential to actual superstar beyond charisma, it hurts. Dale Jr was lucky that he A. had his family name to help him get his foot in the door, and, when it became obvious he wasn't his father in terms of skill, B. he had the charisma to actually keep his popularity up.

Buschwhacking also hurts a loving ton.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mactheknife posted:

all these new posts and none of them are about pocono this is peak NASCAR thread

Pocono has always sucked. I'm sure people will be posting about it when they go back in ~6 weeks.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the jig is up when the TV money fountain gets turned off and suddenly NASCAR isn't getting billions to put 34,000 asses in seats

It remains to be see if the next contract is the one where this happens. It seems like the Networks just can't help themselves.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:siren: FRIENDLY REMINDER :siren:

Trucks are in Texas this week, as part of the undercard for IndyCar at Texas. Since the main series is in Michigan, we won't get any Buschwhackers.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tailgators come on!

Unrelated WWE just got loving paid and wrestling is tv poison so NASCAR is gonna actually get a better deal next time book it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1003967400130285569

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Do NOT make me hate Truex, he is the only man who stands between us and Kyle.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I love our big President.

Trump/Truex 2020.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Trump and Truex, I don't think so

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm glad to see it took him this long to acknowledge it on Twitter. Must be hard when you're doing everything he can to divide and make his country paranoid.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Do NOT make me hate Truex, he is the only man who stands between us and Kyle.

Maaaaaaaaartin Truex, Jr., yes, the champion of NASCAR. What a patriot. Great American. Kid from New Jersey, right across the river from me. Sherry...what can we say, what a warrior. Big, yuge. And you know who's a Great American, too? Cole Pearn. What a crew chief. The greatest crew chief in history-seriously, if I were to have a crew chief, I'd want this guy.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Maaaaaaaaartin Truex, Jr., yes, the champion of NASCAR. What a patriot. Great American. Kid from New Jersey, right across the river from me. Sherry...what can we say, what a warrior. Big, yuge. And you know who's a Great American, too? Cole Pearn. What a crew chief. The greatest crew chief in history-seriously, if I were to have a crew chief, I'd want this guy.

This reads more like Don Cherry tbh

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This reads more like Don Cherry tbh

You mean there's a difference?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Not really, I just find him more entertaining. Maybe it's a mental defense mechanism. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Can the president stop trying to ruin NASCAR for me it's already bad enough