Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
This thread is awesome and hugely informative. Thanks everybody!

I have a question about weapon upgrades though, specifically about weapon levels. Let’s take Link and the Hylian Sword as an example. Am I understanding this correctly by assuming that the Knight’s Sword would be the Level 1 Hylian Sword, the White Sword would be Level 2, the Magical Sword is Level 3, and so on?

If that’s the case, let’s say I unlock the Level 2 weapon, the White Sword. Three questions:

1. Does the White Sword function any differently (besides being more powerful) than the Knight’s Sword or is it simply a skin change indicating a different weapon level?
2. Assuming 0 upgrade slots filled on each weapon, are Level n+1 weapons always more powerful than Level n weapons?
2. Once I unlock the White Sword, will the Level 1 version of this weapon, the Knight’s Sword, keep randomly dropping? In other words, once I get into the late game, am I going to be dealing with mountains of vendor trash low level weapons I can only sell?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

So basically what I'm hearing is that for Adventure Mode, 3 minute clears aren't exactly ideal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreatGreen posted:

I have a question about weapon upgrades though, specifically about weapon levels. Let’s take Link and the Hylian Sword as an example. Am I understanding this correctly by assuming that the Knight’s Sword would be the Level 1 Hylian Sword, the White Sword would be Level 2, the Magical Sword is Level 3, and so on?

If that’s the case, let’s say I unlock the Level 2 weapon, the White Sword. Three questions:

1. Does the White Sword function any differently (besides being more powerful) than the Knight’s Sword or is it simply a skin change indicating a different weapon level?
2. Assuming 0 upgrade slots filled on each weapon, are Level n+1 weapons always more powerful than Level n weapons?
2. Once I unlock the White Sword, will the Level 1 version of this weapon, the Knight’s Sword, keep randomly dropping? In other words, once I get into the late game, am I going to be dealing with mountains of vendor trash low level weapons I can only sell?

1) Skin change indicating different level
2) Yeah, Higher level weapons are always more powerful unless you slot in the 'Legendary' skill which will bump any weapon up to tier 4+ in power. Only worth it if you really want to use a lower level skin since its only a tiny power boost for a higher tier weapon. Also lower tier weapons cap out at fewer slots than higher tier ones.
3) It becomes less likely to drop but you can still get them from doing the easiest content so if you want to farm one late game you can.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

White sword functions identically. It's basically a skin with more damage. And n+1 weapons will always be stronger- the have a base power higher then a 5 star weapon of the previous rank. Higher rank weapons seem to have a higher maximum slot count as well. Previous rank swords will continue dropping, but the upshot is you can still take their skills for your higher rank weapons. Higher rank weapons seem to drop less as well. I've unlocked a few 4+ but haven't had a single one drop outside the guaranteed mission drop.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks guys.

Oh hey why are they called Level 4+ weapons and not Level 5 weapons?

Also, where do the 8-bit weapons fall into this whole mess? Are they the final, best levels of each weapon where they exist? I know you can turn them off in the options menu, how does that work?

vvv edit: Thanks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 1, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks guys.

Oh hey why are they called Level 4+ weapons and not Level 5 weapons?

Also, where do the 8-bit weapons fall into this whole mess? Are they the final, best levels of each weapon where they exist? I know you can turn them off in the options menu, how does that work?

Because they are functionally exactly as powerful as Lv. 4 weapons, you're just able to deal two kinds of elemental damage with it.

EDIT: 8-Bit weapons are skins for Lv. 4+ weapons. Basically, they're skins of the Lv. 4+ weapons whose weapon type had an unlockable 8-Bit version in OG Hyrule Warriors; basically any weapon that appeared in the base version of that game.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I had fun in legend mode cause I had a sick level 2 sword with charge 4 up and heart drops or whatever, so I was like well master sword is stronger but I like these skills.

Cue next stage cutscenes being all about how badass the master sword is and only it can defeat Volga or whatever. :munch: guess the sword doesn't make the man after all!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

EDIT: 8-Bit weapons are skins for Lv. 4+ weapons. Basically, they're skins of the Lv. 4+ weapons whose weapon type had an unlockable 8-Bit version in OG Hyrule Warriors; basically any weapon that appeared in the base version of that game.

In the options menu, there’s an 8-bit Weapon on/off toggle. I’m assuming setting it to “off” doesn’t actually disable those weapons from the game entirely, but rather simply makes the game retain the Level 4 weapon skins on the Level 4+ weapons where the 8-bit skins would have been, correct?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

In the options menu, there’s an 8-bit Weapon on/off toggle. I’m assuming setting it to “off” doesn’t actually disable those weapons from the game entirely, but rather simply makes the game retain the Level 4 weapon skins on the Level 4+ weapons where the 8-bit skins would have been, correct?

Correct. If it's set to off, you'll see the normal Lv. 4+ skins on the weapons for every character. On means every weapon that had an 8-Bit version gets their Lv. 4+ weapons' appearances set to their respective 8-Bit appearances.

The weapons (and characters by association) that were present in the original Hyrule Warriors at the beginning, and therefore possess an 8-Bit skin, are:

Hylian Sword (Link): 8-Bit Wooden Sword (with the 8-bit Wooden Shield as the accompanying shield)
Magic Rod (Link): 8-Bit Candle
Gauntlets (Link): 8-Bit Power Bracelets (with the 8-Bit Raft as the ball-and-chain)
Great Fairy (Link): 8-Bit Fairy
Giant Blade (Impa): 8-Bit Boomerang
Naginata (Impa): 8-Bit Magical Sword
Goddess Harp (Sheik): 8-Bit Stepladder
Book of Sorcery (Lana): 8-Bit Book of Magic
Spear (Lana): 8-Bit Magic Rod
Summoning Gate (Lana): 8-Bit Compass
Rapier (Zelda): 8-Bit White Sword
Baton (Zelda): 8-Bit Recorder
Great Swords (Ganondorf): 8-Bit Magical Key
Hammer (Darunia): 8-Bit Food
Zora Scale (Ruto): 8-Bit Clock
Shackle (Midna): 8-Bit Red Ring
Parasol (Agitha): 8-Bit Rupee
Scimitar (Zant): 8-Bit Magic Boomerang
Goddess Blade (Fi): 8-Bit Silver Arrow
Demon Blade (Ghirahim): 8-Bit Wooden Arrow

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is it worth investing the time into grinding up the beast Ganon challenge mode?

I heard its good for boss and character materials, but is it better than grinding out particular maps in adventure mode for individual characters or bosses?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's still funny to me most of the plotline happens because Cia wanted a cute boyfriend.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
And is solved by finding a friend in herself.

Literally all of this could have been avoided if someone decided that the local Timelord was maybe someone they should occasionally check up on and maybe spend some time talking with to, you know, make sure she doesn't go insane from loneliness.

Especially since she's been tasked with keeping 1/4th of Pig Satan in her basement.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 2, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

Is it worth investing the time into grinding up the beast Ganon challenge mode?

I heard its good for boss and character materials, but is it better than grinding out particular maps in adventure mode for individual characters or bosses?

Level him up to 60-70 or so if you want to. By that point, Ganon's Fury does offer quite a lot of giant boss materials for relatively little time.

Also, incidentally, but compared to Fire Emblem Warriors, this game feels pretty... rushed. Incomplete. It seems to take one step back for every two steps forward, and I can't help but feel that it's predecessors were more finished games.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Folt The Bolt posted:

Level him up to 60-70 or so if you want to. By that point, Ganon's Fury does offer quite a lot of giant boss materials for relatively little time.

Also, incidentally, but compared to Fire Emblem Warriors, this game feels pretty... rushed. Incomplete. It seems to take one step back for every two steps forward, and I can't help but feel that it's predecessors were more finished games.

Way more fun though

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Way more fun though

Not really. It's starting to grind on me like hell, and having the Legends DLC be so obviously less integrated into this edition than the OG DLC characters were in Legends is sad to see.

And I cannot access the Bazaar from the Adventure Maps anymore which makes the game less QoL in one notable aspect compared to it's predecessors. :negative:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Not really. It's starting to grind on me like hell, and having the Legends DLC be so obviously less integrated into this edition than the OG DLC characters were in Legends is sad to see.

And I cannot access the Bazaar from the Adventure Maps anymore which makes the game less QoL in one notable aspect compared to it's predecessors. :negative:

You can. You have to go into the character select screen for a square, but you don't need to back out to the main menu or anything like that.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

You can. You have to go into the character select screen for a square, but you don't need to back out to the main menu or anything like that.

I used to be able to skip that and just go straight into the Bazaar from the map itself. Going into a mission in order to access the Bazaar is decidedly less QoL, especially since Adventure Mode is where a lot of the game content lies.

Related to that is that I can't access My Fairy from any of the Adventure Maps either, but at least it's still accessible from the main menu.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Folt The Bolt posted:

Is there a way to see your level outside of the fighting itself?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

Is there a way to see your level outside of the fighting itself?

It's Ganon, so no. You're not gonna be able to.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I havent gotten this version yet, but I recently picked up Fire Emblem Warriors, and despite there not being as many unique and interesting characters/movesets, the quality of life options and general gameplay improvements has made it a lot more fun to me than Hyrule Warriors. A big part of that is how relatively easy it is get good skills on characters in FEW compared to HW, and how customizable the characters are with skill build options.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Has anyone experienced the game crash? Because my game crashed as it was loading the results screen from an Adventure mode mission and it didn't save and I was not happy.

It wasn't a very difficult mission, but still.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Has anyone experienced the game crash? Because my game crashed as it was loading the results screen from an Adventure mode mission and it didn't save and I was not happy.

Yeah, this has happened to me a few times.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's crashed on me a handful of times. It does appear to have a memory leak, so you should close the game down periodically.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So i've started trying for a few other 4+ early(ish) weapons and i'm making slow progress through the phantom hourglass map for some of them (dueto the item that lets you use any character).

It looks as though characters with more difficult lower level weapons are there (Volga/Wizzro), but even with the sealed master sword and a level 115 link it's slow going.

I've all but cleared out the first 2 maps, for weapons. Which levels do i need to collect to unlock the master sword abilities again? All level 1's for the first then all level 3's for the second?

The first ability takes the damage up to 500 right and the second 900?

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 3, 2018

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

It has crashed way more than any other game I've played on the Switch. Hoping they put a patch out at some point to fix it up.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Srice posted:

It has crashed way more than any other game I've played on the Switch. Hoping they put a patch out at some point to fix it up.

Pretty much. It has to do with memory leakage from what I've heard, so the game occasionally crashes once the memory becomes too much to handle.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

So i've started trying for a few other 4+ early(ish) weapons and i'm making slow progress through the phantom hourglass map for some of them (dueto the item that lets you use any character).

It looks as though characters with more difficult lower level weapons are there (Volga/Wizzro), but even with the sealed master sword and a level 115 link it's slow going.

I've all but cleared out the first 2 maps, for weapons. Which levels do i need to collect to unlock the master sword abilities again? All level 1's for the first then all level 3's for the second?

The first ability takes the damage up to 500 right and the second 900?

Lv. 1-3 for the first. Lv. 4s and 4+es for the second.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Folt The Bolt posted:

Pretty much. It has to do with memory leakage from what I've heard, so the game occasionally crashes once the memory becomes too much to handle.

You can tell when it's happening when the floor textures start freaking out or you can see enemy health bars through walls

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've had it crash once, and it was right after selecting a character. I have noticed the memory leaks where the graphics wig out, but thats when I close the app an restart it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Lv. 1-3 for the first. Lv. 4s and 4+es for the second.

Correcting myself on this: You need Lv. 1-3 for Evil's Bane, Lv. 4 only for Exorcism. Also, they only need to drop once which means that unlocking higher rank weapons can shorten the time getting Evil's Bane and Exorcism to unlock because unlocking a higher rank adds the rest to the drop pool.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Folt The Bolt posted:

Correcting myself on this: You need Lv. 1-3 for Evil's Bane, Lv. 4 only for Exorcism. Also, they only need to drop once which means that unlocking higher rank weapons can shorten the time getting Evil's Bane and Exorcism to unlock because unlocking a higher rank adds the rest to the drop pool.

Given that I forgot about the bullshit 'don't get hit' master quest missions like the level 3 spinner, I might just grab the higher level ones where possible.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Calaveron posted:

Way more fun though

Each character actually being unique goes a long, long way for me. Plus there are more enemy types than just "human soldier"

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Which character does the Great Seas adventure map want who has a weird purpleish-blue masked head? I can't figure it out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pierson posted:

Which character does the Great Seas adventure map want who has a weird purpleish-blue masked head? I can't figure it out.

Skull Kid?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pierson posted:

wizzro, maybe?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pierson posted:

If it's got two red eyes, it's Cia. If it's got two white eyes and a hood, that's Wizzro, even though Wizzro has only one eye. If it's pointy, that's Zant.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

If it's got two red eyes, it's Cia. If it's got two white eyes and a hood, that's Wizzro, even though Wizzro has only one eye. If it's pointy, that's Zant.
Got it, the eye thing was throwing me off.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Can I unlock skulltulas and heart pieces and such (for the appropriate character) in Free mode, or does it have to be Adventure mode proper?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there a way to load mp3s to the Switch and have it play then in rotation on the soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Bongo Bill posted:

Can I unlock skulltulas and heart pieces and such (for the appropriate character) in Free mode, or does it have to be Adventure mode proper?

You can get the story mode stuff in free mode, yeah.