Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Dungeon Warfare 2 will finally be coming out by the end of this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Rookersh posted:

The first by a pretty significantly margin.

The first game is pretty tightly constructed and built around some very simple but fun mechanics. You've got collapsing HRE style Empire's propped up by wizards, goblin swarms, passes to hold, Vampire Lords playing Dynasty Warriors, etc etc. With 9 unique factions, it's rare you'll ever run into the same situation twice, and it's one of the few Total War games that'll you'll probably play at least 4-5 times for 200-300 hours. It's also the easiest TW game to get into if you aren't a huge TW guy, because you again have factions like the Vampires which basically play Dynasty Warriors. Throw chaff zombies at the enemy, gunk up the engines a bit, then have your heroes roll around slaughtering 300 dudes a piece. After the battle get half your army rezzed for free, and rez half the enemy army into better units for pennies.

Most if not all of the best Warhammer races are present and playable in TW1 on it's map.

TW2 is.......still figuring itself out, and it looks like the developers have chosen to listen to the worst parts of the fanbase on how to balance/build it, so it's very unlikely it'll ever end up in the same state as TW1.

They introduced a Climate system that governs what races can live where ( since people wanted to map paint. ). Except then they didn't make the AI beholden to it at all, so the AI just conquers whatever is next to it constantly and doesn't behave in anything resembling a sensible way. On lower difficulties the AI will just kill itself by expanding, because the penalties for living in bad climates will cause nonstop rebellions, but the AI isn't built to recognize a VERY CORE SYSTEM.

The races are fun, but you still only have 4-5 compared to 9. Annnnd they aren't really all that different. The Elves might as well be repaints of each other, and the Skaven are different, but still very ranged focused. The only one that isn't is the Lizards. Compare this to WH1 where you have a faction of basically rogue football players, a faction of assholes, a faction of archers, a faction of ALL CALV 24/7, etc etc it's kinda a bummer. Tomb Kings are wildly different then anything else CA has made, but it's still only one race compared to 9.

The map in 2 is basically all water, but if you get caught on a boat the game will auto resolve the battle, usually to the AI. And if they beat you in water it's an army wipe. Most of the unique naval mechanics will be lost randomly to the AI autoresolving with a boat of like 10 dudes half dead.

They've now introduced a Sword you can nab if you are Elves that makes your General able to kill entire armies. But they also tagged the AI to try and gun for it 60% of the time. But since the trigger was uh, poorly put in, two AI factions will gun for it on turn 1. They can't actually get it turn 1, and will instead suicide themselves/their faction out of the game. This'll very likely take weeks to fix, and they are two core factions you need in the game to enjoy it in either mode.

Or and if you ever decide to embrace the cool "merge the games together" mode they sold the games on, well get hosed. Because that mode is a hot mess. AI randomly expanding in ways it was never designed to, because that map wasn't built for Climate. Dwarfs AI randomly declaring war on the Empire, despite the fact they need each other alive to actually win the game. The TW2 races are multiple times stronger then the TW1 races just on a pure stats level, and they still haven't updated half the TW1 races to be able to compare in battle against the TW2 races. I could keep going for awhile.

TW2 might eventually be a good game, but for now let it sit and cook until they announce TW3. TW1 however is a masterpiece and everyone should play it, especially if you are interested in getting to know Total War.

Thank you mate! Downloading the first one at this very moment! I've only played like 15 minutes of Total War: Shogun and always meant to get into the total war games.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Won my first game of Cultist Simulator yesterday. Not my first win, but rather my first game was a win. Had a brief scare where I had three fascination in the visions ticker but I already had some dread waiting around so that sorted itself out.

Minor hint for people who are having trouble. The only plate you really need to keep spinning is the "Work" verb, and even then you can let that one slide when you have a stockpile of funds.

Someone asked for board layouts, so here's mine from my new game. I'm solidly mid-game I feel. I waited out all my timers so you can see all the resources I've got instead of having them hidden.

Click for image/spoilers.

Physician is an "easier" first five minutes than Aspirant, but honestly it's not that different.

My cult is just as useful/useless as last game. My knock disciple is incredibly valuable, everyone else just kind of sits there. Cultists take too long to train and are too valuable to risk on anything that can kill them, but that means they sit there without benefit 99.8% of the time.

The graveyard of cards to the right is just where I toss anything that's trash and I don't have to worry about. The inspector, extra notoriety, Poppy Lascelles, mystique, glimmering, contentment... sometimes. Other times I feed my contentment to otherworldly creatures from the Mansus.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheBlandName posted:

Physician is an "easier" first five minutes than Aspirant, but honestly it's not that different.

I hope part of the reason a lot of the additional legacies got pushed to post-release is because they're going to have more impact on the game throughout instead of just giving a different start with minimal impact as the game plays out.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Blattdorf posted:

Oh nice! Been playing the original recently. Its quite good.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Deadfire has no Vancian casting and melee is much more fun, plus there are both subclasses (be a monk that generates resources by dealing damage instead of receiving it... or a monk that generates resources by doing drugs) and multiclasses (be a paladin that's also a rogue so you can backstab, or a wizard so you can self-buff) so wacky builds are much more viable. Of course, they're also more viable because the game is pretty easy, they've improved a bit from release where it was a complete joke but it's still not at the point where the harder difficulties are seriously, consistently challenging. Also, while there is a literal ocean of side-content, the main quest is definitely shorter then in PoE1, so you kind of need to space it out.

I'm looking to sink my teeth into another RPG. I'm encouraged by POEII's reviews, but would you recommend it to someone that thought the original POE was boring as hell? I thought POE1 had generally terrible writing and had its head up its rear end when it came to its lore. I understand that POEII focuses more on pirates and exploring the seas... and I guess the highlights are the exploration and combat. Is it significantly better than POEI or should I look elsewhere?For comparison, I absolutely loved DOS2 - I thought the presentation, writing, music and systems were all fantastic and was entertained through the entire 90 hours I put into it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hey smoke and sacrifice guy, your game is on the "new and trending" list, so thats cool

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Awesome! posted:

hey smoke and sacrifice guy, your game is on the "new and trending" list, so thats cool

Thanks for the heads up, that's awesome

e: just noticed your username, lol

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

My Cultist Simulator layout from the mid-game of my last game. I'm doing something roughly the same this time around, mostly just changing the order of the Lores so they're in Subversion order.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pylons posted:

My Cultist Simulator layout from the mid-game of my last game. I'm doing something roughly the same this time around, mostly just changing the order of the Lores so they're in Subversion order.

Oh man, putting the appropriate Lore next to the cultists is genius. I need to reorganize my table to make use of that.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Pylons posted:

How did you have so much Lantern lore without any of the forgotten languages ? Just RNG or have you been busily converting from all the other lores into Lantern?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TheBlandName posted:

How did you have so much Lantern lore without any of the forgotten languages ? Just RNG or have you been busily converting from all the other lores into Lantern?

I was playing Lantern cult, so I did spend quite a lot of time converting and combining.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well poop. Yeah playing through Pillars of Eternity trying to finish White March but I just find the combat unbearably tedious nowadays

It's more balanced in POE2.

First off, apparently you only have 5 people in the party max, and they've given things a balance pass.

For example. the Verse that summons 2 ogres, which I used every combat round, now takes 6 seconds to cast.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

CerebralDonut posted:

I'm looking to sink my teeth into another RPG. I'm encouraged by POEII's reviews, but would you recommend it to someone that thought the original POE was boring as hell? I thought POE1 had generally terrible writing and had its head up its rear end when it came to its lore. I understand that POEII focuses more on pirates and exploring the seas... and I guess the highlights are the exploration and combat. Is it significantly better than POEI or should I look elsewhere?For comparison, I absolutely loved DOS2 - I thought the presentation, writing, music and systems were all fantastic and was entertained through the entire 90 hours I put into it.

The overall writing quality has definitely improved, especially for most companions (Aloth is still terrible), but the main plot and the beginning in particular is pretty lore-heavy, which might make it pretty boring for you. Still, there’s lots of other stuff to do in the game (hunt pirates, explore islands, decide which group of assholes you’re going to help take over), and you don’t have to pursue the main plot to experience 90% of the game’s content, so my recommendation would probably be to buy it and set an hour/hour-and-thirty timer, and see if you can make it through that first island (which is the worst anyway, regardless of plot) without seriously wanting to refund.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh man, Aloth is still around? :sigh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dmboogie posted:

not at all a false equivalence

Not equating the three but I'd like them all gone.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I know, he’s like the :sigh: emote gained sentience. He is a human bummer. What makes it even worse is that Iselmyr would make a GREAT companion - who wouldn’t want a deranged, nigh-incomprehensible Scottish wizard on their team? - but to get even a scrap of her you have to lug around Mr. Wet Blanket Incarnate and endure his hatred of both fun and himself.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Maugrim posted:

Thanks for this, it's really appreciated! We've seen some pretty consistent feedback re the clunky bits and have plenty of ideas to address them, although how far we can go depends on publisher goodwill which we've already leant on quite a bit in the course of development.

This will probably blow your mind, and it's completely our bad for not teaching it correctly (there's a patch incoming that fixes that): you can attack manually using right click. WASD and right click attacks and E to pick stuff up is how I play. This might even make dodge easier to use for you.

Question about your controller - is it an official xbox controller or a third party one? From what we've seen it's the unofficial ones causing issues, so useful to know if this is consistent.

The controller is an official 360 wireless controller. It's a few years old, but I've never had any trouble with using it before. I'll grant you that I don't generally use the Big Picture controller stuff, though, so that may be what's not working properly.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

exquisite tea posted:

Aloth is great in both games because you can just tow him around as a human kith wmd while making GBS threads on him every chance you get, and he'll just take it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Blattdorf posted:

gently caress YES. DW1 is easily a top 3 td game, perhaps even my favorite surpassing Defender Quest

ive been waiting for this forever and hasn't been any news, so I was worried something happened

I've been playing Warstone TD to get my more simple-but-lots-of-upgrades TD fix going. It's not bad but it has a lot of jank with clearly broken tooltips and still not confident lots of things work the way they should. UI really also needs a lot of work still, and honestly there's way too many loving systems with consumable items and the legion-td levels kinda suck to play. Still, if you liked Kingdom Rush-y games it's pretty solid.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey, Cultist Simulator question: How the hell do I actually access the Spider Door? As in how do I spill blood to gain entry? I figured I'd kidnap someone and kill them but it's actually shockingly hard to kill someone on demand in this game?

Also I think my game bugged out and I lost a piece of Winter lore, huge bummer.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

yeah but the ranger companion has the option to multiclass as wizard (and she owns) so you can stick Aloth on the bench and ignore him

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If anyone's looking for a 3D Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, currently rated 90%+. is currently in Early Access, but has at least 200+ hours of content (I've put ~50 hours into it in a week...) with full fledged social activities, romances, marriage, harvesting resources (trees, rocks, mining for stuff in instanced areas), crafting with different dedicated machines, fulfilling work orders for the commerce guild, building all sorts of complex machinery including water wheels and water tanks and engines to run the water wheels and wind turbines...

You can play rock-paper-scissors with each npc up to 3 times a day, and spar unarmed with them in an arena. Once they like you enough, by helping them out, giving them gifts, and doing work orders that they request, you can do play-dates, real dates, and even marry them and they'll help out around your workshop-farm. Some of them will randomly give you gifts, too.

You can find relic pieces in the instanced abandoned ruins and piece them together in the research building for later display in the museum, your house, or just selling for money.

Oh yeah, and you can farm a number of plants including wheat and cotton, trees for apricots, crystals and nitre (for explosives), fish in the river, and cook a large number of foods using an interactive interface. You put random stuff into a cooking pot and see if it makes something edible.

More/better machines are researched by digging up data discs in the abandoned ruins and giving them to a girl at the research center and waiting a certain time for the blueprints to arrive in the mail.

Later in the game, you can research a burner powered electric generator and transfer power to machines via special conductive flooring. You can also transfer fertilizer to crops with a fertilizer tank and flooring. I think they plan to add watering plants eventually.

It also has dedicated combat instances with enemies and boss fights, and quite a few weapons even if they're mostly swords right now. The instances consist of a series of setpiece areas randomly joined together via transition areas. There are two main instance areas right now, the first one has two lower level instances and two higher level timed instances (levels 15-25). The second main instance area (levels 30-40+) only has the two lower level instances completed. Killing a mob increases the timer by 5 seconds. Completing an instance gives rewards from the boss as well as some fixed items. The combat is skill based, think Tera style if you've ever played that game. If you have stamina, you can endlessly dodge enemy attacks and whittle down a high level mob while 10+ levels under them.

There's content in the game up to nearly level 36, and they seem to be adding more all the time.

The storyline consists of work orders posted on a board in the commerce building or sent to your mailbox, and some ingame events as you explore, and as you complete the work orders, there are various animated scenes showing the npcs reacting to what's been built / dialogues telling you 'awesome, now we can do this'.

Sorry, I'm not very good at reviewing games but I hope there's enough here for some interest.

It's a pretty fun game. I've mostly been focused on the mining/crafting/building aspect.. haven't had much time for the social aspect. I've learned that the main missions don't really have an effective time limit, though.. one guy waited 3 years to start the first wooden bridge one, so you can definitely take it easy and relax if you want to. I will on my next playthrough.

Edit: Right now, it's more like social/gather/fight/craft/build simulator, not farm simulator, but they're adding more farming aspects. I've been treating it as some kind of weird slow 3D Factorio / modded Minecraft something with NPCs.

These screenshots are from my 4/20 save, Winter, 20th day, 4 months a year.

Got my workshop area with a fuckton of machines. Foreground to background: electric furnaces making aluminum alloys, firepowered generator set (currently feeding them wood but they'll burn anything, including cloth loot and stuff) feeding power to the furnaces via the conductive flooring, cutter/grinder sets making parts for machines, cloth processors, got some trees to the right on fertilizer flooring, and cooking stuff in the far back.

Taking a ride on the Dee-dee transport (that I built!) to the hazardous ruins (combat instance #1)

Desert rest stop area that I helped build. Oh yeah, you can buy/rent horses once you fix up a guy's barn. Rent uber horse for 500 a week, or buy some old draft thing for 10k.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 3, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SirSamVimes posted:

yeah but the ranger companion has the option to multiclass as wizard (and she owns) so you can stick Aloth on the bench and ignore him

throw him in the blood pool

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hey, Cultist Simulator question: How the hell do I actually access the Spider Door? As in how do I spill blood to gain entry? I figured I'd kidnap someone and kill them but it's actually shockingly hard to kill someone on demand in this game?

Also I think my game bugged out and I lost a piece of Winter lore, huge bummer.

Acquire a prisoner through several means and slot them in while they're alive.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

corn in the bible posted:

throw him in the blood pool

that's grieving mother's spot though

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Picayune posted:

The controller is an official 360 wireless controller. It's a few years old, but I've never had any trouble with using it before. I'll grant you that I don't generally use the Big Picture controller stuff, though, so that may be what's not working properly.

Thanks for the info. Check your PMs!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Ambaire posted:

If anyone's looking for a 3D Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, currently rated 90%+. is currently in Early Access, but has at least 200+ hours of content (I've put ~50 hours into it in a week...) with full fledged social activities, romances, marriage, harvesting resources (trees, rocks, mining for stuff in instanced areas), crafting with different dedicated machines, fulfilling work orders for the commerce guild, building all sorts of complex machinery including water wheels and water tanks and engines to run the water wheels and wind turbines...

You can play rock-paper-scissors with each npc up to 3 times a day, and spar unarmed with them in an arena. Once they like you enough, by helping them out, giving them gifts, and doing work orders that they request, you can do play-dates, real dates, and even marry them and they'll help out around your workshop-farm. Some of them will randomly give you gifts, too.

You can find relic pieces in the instanced abandoned ruins and piece them together in the research building for later display in the museum, your house, or just selling for money.

Oh yeah, and you can farm a number of plants including wheat and cotton, trees for apricots, crystals and nitre (for explosives), fish in the river, and cook a large number of foods using an interactive interface. You put random stuff into a cooking pot and see if it makes something edible.

More/better machines are researched by digging up data discs in the abandoned ruins and giving them to a girl at the research center and waiting a certain time for the blueprints to arrive in the mail.

Later in the game, you can research a burner powered electric generator and transfer power to machines via special conductive flooring. You can also transfer fertilizer to crops with a fertilizer tank and flooring. I think they plan to add watering plants eventually.

It also has dedicated combat instances with enemies and boss fights, and quite a few weapons even if they're mostly swords right now. The instances consist of a series of setpiece areas randomly joined together via transition areas. There are two main instance areas right now, the first one has two lower level instances and two higher level timed instances (levels 15-25). The second main instance area (levels 30-40+) only has the two lower level instances completed. Killing a mob increases the timer by 5 seconds. Completing an instance gives rewards from the boss as well as some fixed items. The combat is skill based, think Tera style if you've ever played that game. If you have stamina, you can endlessly dodge enemy attacks and whittle down a high level mob while 10+ levels under them.

There's content in the game up to nearly level 36, and they seem to be adding more all the time.

The storyline consists of work orders posted on a board in the commerce building or sent to your mailbox, and some ingame events as you explore, and as you complete the work orders, there are various animated scenes showing the npcs reacting to what's been built / dialogues telling you 'awesome, now we can do this'.

Sorry, I'm not very good at reviewing games but I hope there's enough here for some interest.

It's a pretty fun game. I've mostly been focused on the mining/crafting/building aspect.. haven't had much time for the social aspect. I've learned that the main missions don't really have an effective time limit, though.. one guy waited 3 years to start the first wooden bridge one, so you can definitely take it easy and relax if you want to. I will on my next playthrough.

Edit: Right now, it's more like social/gather/fight/craft/build simulator, not farm simulator, but they're adding more farming aspects. I've been treating it as some kind of weird slow 3D Factorio / modded Minecraft something with NPCs.

These screenshots are from my 4/20 save, Winter, 20th day, 4 months a year.

Got my workshop area with a fuckton of machines. Foreground to background: electric furnaces making aluminum alloys, firepowered generator set (currently feeding them wood but they'll burn anything, including cloth loot and stuff) feeding power to the furnaces via the conductive flooring, cutter/grinder sets making parts for machines, cloth processors, got some trees to the right on fertilizer flooring, and cooking stuff in the far back.

Taking a ride on the Dee-dee transport (that I built!) to the hazardous ruins (combat instance #1)

Desert rest stop area that I helped build. Oh yeah, you can buy/rent horses once you fix up a guy's barn. Rent uber horse for 500 a week, or buy some old draft thing for 10k.

Oh this is all good to know. I thought that game looked pretty neat but I'm still waiting for it to leave Early Access

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'll toss this into the Steam thread even though (I think) this is out on all consoles too - Wizard of Legend, worth $15?

I love the Dead Cells/Gungeon/Nuclear Throne rogue-lites and I watched a short gameplay preview, is there enough content and depth there to last a while?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

occamsnailfile posted:

I bought this game on my own without knowing the dev was in this thread. I liked Flame in the Flood though I felt it had issues that prevented me from fully enjoying it. A lot of what this guy said I agree with. It's very pretty, atmospheric, the art style for the environment works quite well and somehow the sprites work despite the giant bobblehead style. The story is light enough to draw you into the mystery but it doesn't spend a lot of time on lore dumps.

The inventory management and decay/durability systems are probably my biggest gripes with the game. As mentioned the "go into inventory, click thing to activate" is kind of awkward, and there's no way to auto-sort. Certain items decay, and they do so very quickly. Equipment likewise has a durability, and it is lower than I like. Some folks in the Steam reviews have compared it to Don't Starve and I can see where they get that idea, but it is really much, much closer to Crashlands in gameplay though the tone is very different. It's also less grindy than Crashlands (at least so far) so that's a plus. Something I would really love though is a contextual key (akin to pressing space in Don't Starve) that would automatically pick up anything nearby on the ground. This would be especially helpful when items fall behind foreground elements and are hard to click on. Also, do resources regenerate over time or have I effectively deforested multiple marshlands?

I'm still working out all the details of combat and where Sachi's hitbox is exactly but it's fairly mild for the most part. I wish there were a way to heal at save terminals or something similar.

The Feral Child gave me a polyp trap and I can't figure out what to bait it with to catch an ice polyp, or how to bait it. I click on everything in my inventory while standing next to it, and nothing works. The game gives no hints on this.

Some game dialog is not repeatable, which means you might miss instructions. It tries to highlight important words and you're not being buried in walls of text though.

I'm looking forward to a patch to work on some of the issues mentioned, plus one more: When I started the game, it was fullscreen, which was fine. When I tried to exit the game after a nice play session, it locked my display in a black screen. Couldn't tab out, couldn't even reach Windows security options. Had to reboot. I fixed this issue by changing it to windowed mode but that was a bit vexing. I haven't written a Steam review yet to give some time to work on those issues, but I think on the whole it's something I can recommend for a light, pretty RPG set in a weird kind of fantasy world.

Thanks for posting this! Been meaning to reply but been tied up with toddler all day...

- You're right that we took a lot of inspiration from Crashlands as well as Don't Starve. We usually stick to the comparison with the latter because better name recognition, though.
- Totally agree about the inventory clunkiness. Publisher willing, we should be able to patch in some improvements in that respect.
- While there's no "gather all nearby items" key, pressing E will pick up the nearest item within a certain distance. This is much better for getting stuff that's fallen behind trees/stalagmites etc.
- Stuff grows back/respawns usually on the order of 30-60 realtime minutes.
- If you go back to the Feral Child and talk to her again, I *think* she will tell you what to bait the trap with. Alternatively you can observe the ice polyps' eating behaviour in the wild and work out what they like to consume.
- Sorry about the crash, that sounds very nasty. Unity handles exiting the game for us, and it's notoriously buggy in that area. I've passed the info to our coder, at least.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Tom Gorman posted:

I'll toss this into the Steam thread even though (I think) this is out on all consoles too - Wizard of Legend, worth $15?

I love the Dead Cells/Gungeon/Nuclear Throne rogue-lites and I watched a short gameplay preview, is there enough content and depth there to last a while?

I got it in Switch and I'm having fun with it. Minor nitpicks like your dash doesn't go through bad guys or bullets, so that's something to adjust to after Nuclear Throne. It's easy to get cluster hosed later on by mobs if you're not wary. Spells and relics you buy in the dungeons don't go towards unlock progress, only what you buy at the hub counts. I had to buy a bunch of crappy relics before better ones started showing up, it might be the same with spells. They give you a great newbie relic in the tutorial and I didn't swap it out for a while. The bosses are hard, but it's pretty fun. Wait for a sale if you're still not sure.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I know, he’s like the :sigh: emote gained sentience. He is a human bummer. What makes it even worse is that Iselmyr would make a GREAT companion - who wouldn’t want a deranged, nigh-incomprehensible Scottish wizard on their team? - but to get even a scrap of her you have to lug around Mr. Wet Blanket Incarnate and endure his hatred of both fun and himself.

Obsidian blew a golden opportunity by not having the option in Aloth's companion quest to permanently "kill" him and make Iselmyr the dominant personality.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

iselmyr romance option when

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xaris posted:

gently caress YES. DW1 is easily a top 3 td game, perhaps even my favorite surpassing Defender Quest
Better than Defender's Quest? Tell me more!

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thank you too for this! I was really skeptical when I saw this on kickstarter, so I didn't back it, but I'm really glad to hear that it's shaping up well! I'll have to buy this during the Steam sale!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Cultist Simulator question: Is there a way to reliably get dread on demand? I lost two fairly promising runs to going crazy from fascination and not having the dread on hand to counter it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This one might be old news to most people around here, but while putting together this series it occurred to me that there might still exist some folks who are unaware of how unabashedly bizarre and great E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy is. So today, I'll be using my Gabe-given powers to hopefully introduce this rough-rear end gem to a new generation of Steam denizens, and you get to read along and re-live your greatest hits of gaining brouzoufs and ultra-failing attacks.

:jihad:FPSummer :jihad:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry

3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

If you ask a young child to tell you a story, you’ll usually get only a minute or two into it before they start adding in dragons and robots and wizards who shoot flaming paperclips from cotton-candy wands. It might be entirely inscrutable to you but to the storyteller, it makes perfect sense in its own way. E.Y.E is what happens when those children grow up, never lose that spark of unbound creativity, and get ahold of the Source engine. It’s Warhammer 40k seen in a funhouse mirror that adds telekinetic werewolves and sniping miniguns. It’s dark and confusing and twisted and chaotic and an absolute fuckton of fun if you don’t let any of the overwhelming weirdness overwhelm you.

I’m not even going to take a stab at the story here, half because diving as much of it as you can is a major plot point itself, and half because I can’t. I have 20 hours logged in E.Y.E and I still only have the most tenuous grasp of what the gently caress is going on, despite there being an entire in-game library you can peruse for insight. For anyone that got nothing from my WH40k reference, you are some kind of psychic cyber-soldier in a dystopian future where an all-powerful government and literal demons from an alternate plane of existence threaten the survival of your organization. In your fight against them you may discover certain secrets about yourself that you tried to forget, and may get the chance to change some of them.

I know this looks like a cyberpunk FPS, but let me walk you through the tutorial level. You start in a dreamspace inside your mind where you generate character stats using three different esoteric genomes. The portal takes you to a cave where you have to learn to use your katana, guns, and cyber-powers to defeat punks and Federal officers who may or may not be kind and loving daddies, and who might drop artifacts you can research. At the end you have to hack a door using a real-time text interface, and if you fail the door may take control of your body or fry your brain. After all of this, you can start your adventures.

There is shooting in this game, of course, and a lot of it. You get free use of 32-round auto shotguns, a 100-round-a-second SMG, and a minigun with a sniper scope right from the get-go. Those stats I mentioned earlier can also qualify you to use weapons like an anti-aircraft revolver, as well as cyber enhancements and new psionic powers like teleporting inside someone’s body. But even atop all this is more, like the hacking system that can open up new routes through the vast, open levels or the research which unlocks all kinds of bizarre possibilities for your character. It’s all accessed from a big, clunky menu that’s a pain to navigate but also an utter wonder to behold for all the possibilities it offers.

Levels will lead you along a string of objectives that you’re probably not going to fully understand, sometimes pitting you against humans like gangs or soldiers and other times against towering aliens or mind demons. You’ll travel from the blasted slums of Earth to ruined outposts, besieged temples, the surface of Mars, and stranger places still. The whole time you’ll have only the barest understanding of events, thanks to both the extremely rough translations of the game text and the gobsmackingly bizarre story beats the game expects you to handle.

If you’ve made it this far, you owe it to yourself to pick up E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy right now and dive into it. Seriously, if nothing I’ve said has completely put you off then you have the curious streak necessary to get the most out of this thing. E.Y.E has a lot of rough edges and a lot of unanswered questions that you’ll just have to deal with, but it’s all so compellingly odd and coupled with such interesting combat and systems that it’s absolutely worth working through the bad to enjoy the good. Those with the patience to untangle this Gordian knot of sci-fi and metaphysics will be rewarded with some truly excellent action and revelations that go hand-in-hand.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Don't enter eye as a virgin alone, bring friends

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ambaire posted:

You can play rock-paper-scissors with each npc up to 3 times a day, and spar unarmed with them in an arena. Once they like you enough

what kind of weird abusive relationships are you building in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Junkie Disease posted:

Don't enter eye as a virgin alone, bring friends

remember that you can bring up to 31 friends with you into this amazing mess