Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CYBEReris posted:

Actual vikings would turn their noses up at these weird unclean stench factories, contrary to popular belief they were big on personal grooming.

I love that factoid any time someone mentions like "Gross barbarian vikings", like lol they were more cleanly than the olde yurop nobles who practically lived in poo poo and stuffed their clothes with herbs in lieu of bathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zedd posted:

I'm in the same camp as Hbomb/Contra/others : Golden One has decent timing and can be funny, shame's he's such a terrible person.

yea The Golden One could be just a generic youtube vlogger and be, like, fine. He understands what jokes are structurally which means he's the funniest alt-right youtuber ever and he's a hottie. He could be just a normal rear end guy talking about what he got at Scandinavian Trader Joe's but instead...welp.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

Owen kinda left the whole sphere ages ago, unlisting all of his many hours of Sarkeesian-related content.

Has anyone checked his bathtub lately? He might still be screaming about ladies he hates in there and no one's noticed yet.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

New Night Mind video that's a little bit more different. It's not a review or explanation thing; instead, it's Nick reflecting on the old Marble Hornets stuff he did among some other stuff. It's a pretty neat idea that lets you see behind the curtain somewhat.

Really sucks that Nick is/was at a loss for inspiration. Really crunchy post-horror like Marble Hornets and Unedited Footage are rare and if that's the thing that Nick needs to really get his passion burning then its plain as day why he's frustrated. Unfortunately it's because content of that quality and complexity are so scarce that Night Mind's livelihood is vulnerable. I almost wonder if in the future Night Mind will have to focus on more traditional horror moreso than it does now.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

Really sucks that Nick is/was at a loss for inspiration. Really crunchy post-horror like Marble Hornets and Unedited Footage are rare and if that's the thing that Nick needs to really get his passion burning then its plain as day why he's frustrated. Unfortunately it's because content of that quality and complexity are so scarce that Night Mind's livelihood is vulnerable. I almost wonder if in the future Night Mind will have to focus on more traditional horror moreso than it does now.

Yeah, weird DIY horror stuff is already a niche so tiny as to be almost nonexistent, so the fact that he's been able to do more than two features ever is kind of amazing.

Problem is, DIY generally filters out a lot of really talented people, because they're often working on something else. And, of course, 90% of everything is crap.

I'm hoping he continues liking Daisy Brown; I've gotten kind of excited over it, myself. Definitely one of the more engaging setups.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao

Chad is stupid. He’s double downed on the “if you keep saying it all the meaning goes away” thing, he talks about that poo poo on the baited podcast so it’s funny he could t stop being lovely.

That’s why I love Idubbbz so much. He pushes the line but does actually back up a bit and never goes full into it.

At least I hope he never does.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Lmao

Chad is stupid. He’s double downed on the “if you keep saying it all the meaning goes away” thing, he talks about that poo poo on the baited podcast so it’s funny he could t stop being lovely.

That’s why I love Idubbbz so much. He pushes the line but does actually back up a bit and never goes full into it.

At least I hope he never does.

I thought the guy seemed ok when he was guesting on Franku vids and others in that crowd or Witwix streams or other things but then...ah, well. Guess this is what happens when you start hanging with folks like Ice Poseidon.

(As for Ice Poseidon...I dunno whether that guy is a white supremacist or not but one thing is for sure aside from him being a complete dick; he has the worst audience of anyone online. Like, ANYONE. Absolutely no-one comes close. I don't even know how the guy managed to get big frankly...I think he originally started on RuneScape but...? I can see the appeal of a lot of Twitch streamers but he just seems like such a loving greaseball dickhead. No wonder Twitch decided they wanted nothing to do with him - like, apparently his ban wasn't even a traditional one but went through their freaking legal team or some poo poo)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MariusLecter posted:

There's Norse Mythology and then there's "Norse Mythology".
I would highly recommend Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology", he's always been good at taking that mythology and giving it his spin to it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Roth posted:

Yeah, it's just funny how much neo-nazis love things that they clearly don't actually have that much of an understanding of.

It's basically this image

"SPEHSS MAHREENS! The Codex Astrates calls this foe Stone Brain"

That's all I got. I wish I liked strategy games more so I could get into Warhammer stuff.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 4, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

"SPHSS MAHREENS! The Codex Astrates calls this foe Stone Brain"

That's all I got. I wish I liked strategy games more so I could get into Warhammer stuff.

There's novels of varying quality and things like that which can be good, if you want 40K there's the Ciaphas Cain books and Gaunt's Ghosts.

Also games like Vermintide which is in the better Warham setting anyway, which also has it's own span of books to look through.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

There's novels of varying quality and things like that which can be good, if you want 40K there's the Ciaphas Cain books and Gaunt's Ghosts.

Also games like Vermintide which is in the better Warham setting anyway, which also has it's own span of books to look through.

Don't forget the Literal 40k kids books that Games Workshop is now producing. Because that's a thing now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah. i just found it funny and weird. i might get one for my little cousin. i like the 40k Universe. its stupidly and hilariously grim dark but its really gigantic, interesting and doesn't feel that limited like stuff like star wars does sometimes. there are some good novels and video games based on the lore. sucks that some chuds like it but gently caress em.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
One of the best 40 series is the Night Lord books by Andrew Demski Bowden.

Really gets across how broke brained and insane space marines are. Night Lords are the baddies but only by virtue of what side their Primarch chose millenniums ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MariusLecter posted:

Really gets across how broke brained and insane space marines are. Night Lords are the baddies but only by virtue of what side their Primarch chose millenniums ago.

yeah. chaos marines are always more interesting. the abbadon books are good too. but yeah the night lords are constantly trying to make up to a dead daddy who hated them and just wanted to be dead because he was basically super sadist batman who saw the future. bowden also wrote that book about angron that was really good too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

That's only sort of it. The Night Lords are absolutely not heroes, even if they hold the other traitor legions in contempt. They are still awful people but they are so self-centered that they can trick themselves into thinking they're in the right even as they flay people alive.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I've sort of thought about getting Dark Crusade, because even though I'm not good at strategy games, it has an army customization, and I wanted to try making goofy stuff like this:

Vermintide 2 sounds like it's pretty well liked, though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sexpig by night posted:

yea unless the game is entirely eastern front I'm not buying that a WW2 game set in the european theater is the 'lesser known' stuff.

The Eastern Front is insanely broad, and could involve everything from the Warsaw uprising to Operation Citadel to the fall of Yugoslavia.

Honestly you really could set the game entirely in Europe and still have a cavalcade of rarely seen (in videogames) locales and campaigns without going to places like Normandy, Stalingrad or Arnhem; the Axis invasion of Greece, especially Crete, the invasion of Norway, the Italian campaign (I only remember Sniper Elite 4 making extensive use of that), the Yugoslavian partisan actions, the Finnish Winter war etc.

It's kind of comical how, despite World War 2 completely dominating shooters from around 1999 to 2008 games have done such a poor job portraying the conflict outside of the most obvious popular culture touchstones.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gw ruined the best part of the 40k lore and for that they should be purged.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Max Wilco posted:

I've sort of thought about getting Dark Crusade, because even though I'm not good at strategy games, it has an army customization, and I wanted to try making goofy stuff like this:

Vermintide 2 sounds like it's pretty well liked, though.

DoW: Dark Crusade has a unique campaign map that has you fighting for and defending territory like a game of Risk and has strongholds for each race.

Totally worth buying.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

WH40K: Dark Cursade is a good game, if you can get it on sale it holds up.
I actually sorta miss traditional RTS though, but in that subgenre it's legit great.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Groovelord Neato posted:

gw ruined the best part of the 40k lore and for that they should be purged.

Which is this, because GW did a lot of ruining in their time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was speaking of ollanius pius.

they ruined my fave faction (the necrons) but that pales in comparison.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

khwarezm posted:

The Eastern Front is insanely broad, and could involve everything from the Warsaw uprising to Operation Citadel to the fall of Yugoslavia.

Honestly you really could set the game entirely in Europe and still have a cavalcade of rarely seen (in videogames) locales and campaigns without going to places like Normandy, Stalingrad or Arnhem; the Axis invasion of Greece, especially Crete, the invasion of Norway, the Italian campaign (I only remember Sniper Elite 4 making extensive use of that), the Yugoslavian partisan actions, the Finnish Winter war etc.

It's kind of comical how, despite World War 2 completely dominating shooters from around 1999 to 2008 games have done such a poor job portraying the conflict outside of the most obvious popular culture touchstones.

When you limit your content to American involvement it severely narrows your scope.

So that almost completely excises the far East campaigns on the mainland, and even the American island hopping campaigns are rarely explored.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
If you made like a statistical analysis of WW2 movies TV shows and Games I'm sure Omaha beach takes up like 50% of the entire thing.

Really if you went by big budget media 90% of the war was fought by americans in france, with Gremany surrendering in fear of the fierce American war machine just after they get into Germany.

5% is dying brits in Market Garden, 3% is evil Russians killing each other for retreating in Stalingrad, against the poor Germans who only want to escape the evil Russian encriclement, and the last 2% is split between the Pacific and the North Africa.

That's my hot take.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And yet those films set in the small percentages tend to be some of the better ones in the genre.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

And yet those films set in the small percentages tend to be some of the better ones in the genre.

Oh no doubt. But you really have to search out media to get stuff like that, esp if you want it in English.

I remember reading a comic book that was based on the eastern front, specifically about the night witches which was pretty good. Or you can go for translated stuff like a Russian film series I saw called 'Liberation' which had hilariously bad English subtitles like

but other than that you're stuck with poo poo like Enemy at the Gates or like films about 'the good Nazi's' when it comes to the eastern front.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 4, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

The Dawn of War 1 games are fairly approachable. They're not as micro-intensive as other strategy games and death-balling your units works just fine. No shame in putting it on easy mode and just enjoying the spectacle and the voice acting. Oh the voice acting...

The Dawn of War 2 trilogy's campaign mode arguably has more moment to moment plate-spinning, since you're always controlling four squads, but their behavior is also broadly more automated and less fiddly. It's also ALWAYS four units and no base building stuff. It's actually more like an ARPG/MOBA/RTS hybrid.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

DoW: Dark Crusade has a unique campaign map that has you fighting for and defending territory like a game of Risk and has strongholds for each race.

Totally worth buying.

Zedd posted:

WH40K: Dark Cursade is a good game, if you can get it on sale it holds up.
I actually sorta miss traditional RTS though, but in that subgenre it's legit great.

It is on sale for real cheap right now as part of the Games Workshop sale on Steam ($3.24), but again, I'm no good at RTS games. I tried getting into Total War: Warhammer, and I was starting to do a bit better after I switched from the dwarves to the vampires, but even then, I still ended up shelving it (I still might give another shot in the future). Vermintide seems like it's more up my alley.

I suppose if I wanted to make custom painted armies, I could just buy them from GW, but I suppose it would be cheaper to buy their whole catalog on Steam. :rimshot:

EDIT:

John Murdoch posted:

The Dawn of War 1 games are fairly approachable. They're not as micro-intensive as other strategy games and death-balling your units works just fine. No shame in putting it on easy mode and just enjoying the spectacle and the voice acting. Oh the voice acting...

The Dawn of War 2 trilogy's campaign mode arguably has more moment to moment plate-spinning, since you're always controlling four squads, but their behavior is also broadly more automated and less fiddly. It's also ALWAYS four units and no base building stuff. It's actually more like an ARPG/MOBA/RTS hybrid.

"Our enemies hide in METAL BAWKES!"

I guess I could give it a shot.

Would I be okay just buying Dark Crusade, or should I get the main game as well?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Retribution did introduce the varying campaign style where you could choose elite units for your main four or swap them out for larger numbers of disposable troops.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

For the price you might as well get the bundle, soulstorm is the worst part but it's just "eh" as opposed to a bad-bad.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Zedd posted:

For the price you might as well get the bundle, soulstorm is the worst part but it's just "eh" as opposed to a bad-bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY

Or, another great piece of Soulstorm voice acting/writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJMLfACod48

DEEP STRIKES

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedd posted:

Soulstorm is worth it for having the most active modding community at the moment.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

cosmically_cosmic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3MttgvHUY

Or, another great piece of Soulstorm voice acting/writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJMLfACod48

DEEP STRIKES

https://youtu.be/jPsImnZBby4?t=2m22s

Edit: I don't know how to embed time stamped videos

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

When you limit your content to American involvement it severely narrows your scope.

So that almost completely excises the far East campaigns on the mainland, and even the American island hopping campaigns are rarely explored.

I think the Pacific got a bit more than people give credit for (only the island campaigns though, pretty much nothing in Burma or China etc), Medal of Honor: Rising Sun as well as Pacific Assault, Call of Duty: World at War and Rising Storm for Red Orchestra are all set there.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. chaos marines are always more interesting. the abbadon books are good too. but yeah the night lords are constantly trying to make up to a dead daddy who hated them and just wanted to be dead because he was basically super sadist batman who saw the future. bowden also wrote that book about angron that was really good too.

Betrayer might be the best 40k book by a country mile. and ABD has a great, subtle way of making his monsters relatable and reminding you how rotten the universe is, even among the 'good' guys. I remember a passage in the Night Lords trilogy where a newly-inducted, formerly-noble slave assumes that all other people taken by the chaos marines have been dosed with drugs to keep them docile, because they did it all the time on Terra to keep the slaves servile. She's surprised whenan older slave tells her that they are not, and just go along and try to survive because that is all one can do in that world, no matter which side they are on.

That, and the very last line of the trilogy is a masterpiece of bittersweet triumph.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

khwarezm posted:

I think the Pacific got a bit more than people give credit for (only the island campaigns though, pretty much nothing in Burma or China etc), Medal of Honor: Rising Sun as well as Pacific Assault, Call of Duty: World at War and Rising Storm for Red Orchestra are all set there.

I didn't know about the Red Orchestra one, but Rising Sun and World at War were the only two I could really name. I guess there is Battlestations: Midway as well.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know it's multiplayer but some of Battlefield 1942's maps are pacific islands.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Either way they are massively outnumbered by the games starting on June 6th '44.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't know about the Red Orchestra one, but Rising Sun and World at War were the only two I could really name. I guess there is Battlestations: Midway as well.

It also gets some good shows and movies, like Letters from Iwo Jima and The Pacific.

If anyone has any good suggestions for media in lesser shown theatres/people by the way please post them.

Off the top of my head the only other one I have is the french show Résistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New Doctor Who Book Guide on Nigel Robinson's "Birthright", a book about proving that Bernice Summerfield can lead her own book and that Ace can't.