Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
all i wanted was a retina air, but no they had to go and gently caress everything up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

timb should announce a 2015 rmbp that's maybe a little bit lighter and uses like, an A12 chip or something and have done with it imho

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
timb should bring back the fukin magsafe is what timb should do

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Jony has spent too long in his airless white void dimension and needs someone like Steve to hit him around the head with a rolled up newspaper every once in a while, basically.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can't blame jony for all this stuff. i'm sure the trashcan pro was his design, because it's driven by some sense of pure platonic aesthetic. but the touch bar? jony would make a mac without a keyboard entirely if it was possible to do so (coming july 2020). the touch bar is a marketing bullshit that came from timb because timb loves gimmicks and copying other shittier companies.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

the touchbar isn't the most egregious failure of design with that laptop - it's the fact that the keyboard stands a good chance of never working ever again through non edge case use, and it's all down to Jony's thinner, lighter fetish. it's a case of "just because we can do this, should we?", and as trite as it is to blame everything on lack of Steve, I at least get the impression he would have been all "yo, can people actually use this keyboard to type?"

edit: but that's not to say timb doesn't know what the gently caress to do with his product ecosystem beyond chasing competitors' shirt tails.

Matinee fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 4, 2018

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Matinee posted:

Jony has spent too long in his airless white void dimension and needs someone like Steve to hit him around the head with a rolled up newspaper every once in a while, basically.

timb is going to have to taxidermy steve’s hand monkey paw style and wish upon it to stop jonys powerful curses

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Stringent posted:

all i wanted was a retina air, but no they had to go and gently caress everything up

Retina air keeps getting delayed because it would kill 12” and 13” mbp sales.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would say that the thinner/lighter fetish is not entirely jony's fault. he's a talented industrial designer and i am sure he recognizes that making an unreliable lovely keyboard for the sake of saving an unnoticeable half millimeter is not good human interface design. remember when apple made those ads showing how the human thumb can sweep across the entirety of a 4" screen? they know these concepts -- they're just choosing not to apply them. why?

well, "this much thinner than last year's model" and especially "this much thinner than competitors" are absolutely the kind of functionally meaningless metric that marketing loves to push on. i bet that's where that particular commandment is coming from -- not the design department.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

eric posted:

Retina air keeps getting delayed because it would kill 12” and 13” mbp sales.

12" macbook is the retina air hope this helps

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
macbook airs have magsafe

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
just imagining the tantrum that steve would have thrown over a non-functioning keyboard is entertaining.

timb isn't capable of more than a severe half-frown.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

that's all very good points. I was going to cite the 'reach of the human thumb' stuff in a point about how the thinner, lighter resulted in the camera wart on the iPhone 6 onwards. Lest we forget 'Reachability'. Maybe I"m just bitter that the handheld device with the form factor that is actually designed for the human hand has been relegated to C-tier at best. but, as you rightly say, that's all marketing.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Stringent posted:

and usable ports + not needing dongles. battery life is good but choosing between charge and accessory is bubkis

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the screen on the new macbook pro is legit better than the 2015 but the rest is poo poo. attach the new screen to the old bottom, easy. thx for reading tim

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

imagine a 40mm fan spinning at 6,000 rpm, forever

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
making the phone thin enough to be comfortable with a case was good. cases are part of the designed product

i don’t know what madness took over the mac hw group but i’ve heard they might have seen the light

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

imagine a 40mm fan spinning at 6,000 rpm, forever

tbf that's any laptop with 5 electron apps open

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stringent posted:

macbooks air

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

rjmccall posted:

making the phone thin enough to be comfortable with a case was good. cases are part of the designed product

i don’t know what madness took over the mac hw group but i’ve heard they might have seen the light

i'd been pissed about this since i'd always run caseless, but i got one of the apple cases for my X since i'm not gonna upgrade for a while and it really does make a world of difference. the camera bulge makes a lot more sense now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

macbooks air

macsbook air

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

the screen on the new macbook pro is legit better than the 2015 but the rest is poo poo. attach the new screen to the old bottom, easy. thx for reading tim

like how much better, coz this one is pretty good

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it's a modest incremental improvement that you won't really notice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’ll having cooling for 2 if those cores

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dammit why didn't my uncle who works for Nintendo tell me they were making a new mbp when I bought mine

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i would say that the thinner/lighter fetish is not entirely jony's fault. he's a talented industrial designer and i am sure he recognizes that making an unreliable lovely keyboard for the sake of saving an unnoticeable half millimeter is not good human interface design. remember when apple made those ads showing how the human thumb can sweep across the entirety of a 4" screen? they know these concepts -- they're just choosing not to apply them. why?

well, "this much thinner than last year's model" and especially "this much thinner than competitors" are absolutely the kind of functionally meaningless metric that marketing loves to push on. i bet that's where that particular commandment is coming from -- not the design department.

it's been beaten to death, but i wish they'd make a magic mouse shaped for the human hand, with the port on the end so you can use it while it's charging. Deiter Rams said "good design is honest," and hiding the port or shaping the mouse into a flat plastic slab is pretending it's something other than what it is, a handheld device that needs to be charged

i know you're talking about the keyboard, but the mouse is just such a clear example of missing the point of industrial design, to make things people use everyday, and i think the keyboard issues are a result of the same thinking

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
since the usability is always going to be inferior to the trackpad i guess they figured they'd just make it look nice?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i've been thinking of getting the trackpad. is it really that good?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

trackpads are horrible input devices in general and it's regrettable that no manufacturer stuck with embedded trackballs

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

trackpads are horrible input devices in general and it's regrettable that no manufacturer stuck with embedded trackballs

i don't think we're gonna get better evidence of how good the trackpad is than this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sagebrush posted:

i have an old Microsoft serial trackball that’s made to clip onto... something, that I use with old laptops. it owns

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

dammit why didn't my uncle who works for Nintendo tell me they were making a new mbp when I bought mine

when did you get yours?

i remember someone asking whether they should get a new rmbp back in feb/march or so and i recommended them to wait because

- everyone and their dog are upgrading their laptop line from dual core to quad and quad to hex with similar tdp
- apple always get decent intel parts
- rmbp hasn't been updated in a while

but boy i'd still look really dumb if they dont release anything and the dude waited for nothing

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

you forgot the most important reason to wait

- the keyboard doesn't loving work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
betting they double down on that keybaord

like theyll never revert. maybe improve

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Ideally it turns into such a huge embarrassment that they redesign it completely with complete dust and waterproofing.

How hard could it be to seal the top case of the machine and use optical or magnetic sensing of the keypresses instead of cheap-rear end electrical membrane contacts?

When you pay $3k or more for you stupid laptop it should really at least be able to deal with a spilled coffee cup without drowning the logic board.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the mba i had before my 2015 mbp is still my favorite laptop i've owned. the 12" macbook didn't really newt my seeds so i got the mbp which is good but not as good as the mba.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

r u ready to WALK posted:

How hard could it be to seal the top case of the machine and use optical or magnetic sensing of the keypresses instead of cheap-rear end electrical membrane contacts?

...yes, i'm sure they could design an even worse keyboard to type on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
key travel is for chumps, here type on this capacitive touch screen all day instead, now we can make the MBP out of two ipads pro and a hinge

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

just revert back - it was perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames