Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

PoultryGeist posted:

Luckily, Corporation law is based on fining the guilty party based on the amount of revenue lost or brand damage. We can probably get a wrongful damages prosecution against Cline, he doesn't have the primo lawyers Hadrian and the Cobsortium have

Lads, we may have mad gains on the horizon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
In case folks are curious, and because the society write-ups in FE are pretty cool:

Fragged Empire posted:

Corporate Regulatory Law
At the inception of the Board of Management, it was decided that agreement between private individuals would suffice for law and order. However, when the Corporation came into contact with the other races, the social order began to break down, since there was no way to stop coups by Legion mercenaries or to battle Kaltoran piracy and other larger threats. To combat these problems, the Board of Management decided that a formalised system of regulations would be necessary; they created article 924c, better known as Corporate Regulatory Law.

These laws apply only within the confines of Corporate space, property, or claimed territory. There is nothing considered a crime, as such, only breaches in regulation, which are enforced with fines. Any breach, from murder to shoplifting, can be paid as a fine; if unable to pay, the offender is sentenced to forced indentured labour until they have worked enough to pay off the debt. The fine is determined not by the ethics of the crime, but by the economic cost of the crime. For example, killing a Kaltoran shopper who was going to spend an estimated 100cr and whose death has no other negative consequences is worth a 100cr fine. Killing a prominent CEO and causing a stock value loss of 25% could be worth millions. A person can take out life insurance on their own life to inflate the consequence of causing their death.

These fines are often left unpaid by non-Corporates. Unpaid fines are doubled in value and applied as “dead or alive” bounties. Legion mercenaries and Corporate security contractors enforce these bounties, receiving a 50% commission, while the remaining 50% is paid to the victim of the breach (minus expenses).

As Lazarus Diversified Services is registered with the Board of Management, it is possible to argue that 924c covers Kaijuberg. Expensive lawyers can probably poke holes in that or keep proceedings bound up in court, but Cline and other locals don't have the same resources.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

I can't think of a better way to hurt a corporate than to empty their bank accounts.

Cline said the bribe was a lot of money too, so it's not like we're trying to milk a stone here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PoultryGeist posted:

In case folks are curious, and because the society write-ups in FE are pretty cool:

As Lazarus Diversified Services is registered with the Board of Management, it is possible to argue that 924c covers Kaijuberg. Expensive lawyers can probably poke holes in that or keep proceedings bound up in court, but Cline and other locals don't have the same resources.

Well heck now I'm even more in favor of my own idea!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I actually Really like the system as described. Bounty hunter gets a full haul-expenses, victim gets full monetary recompense. It is not ideal, but it seems like something that would work. "Ignore the debt? Fine! It's effectively doubled!"

I still want to engage all available shards of glass to slowly flense WHOMEVER hosed WITH US into such fine strips that they can be served with authentic ramen. To themselves. At gunpoint. In a pain amplification chamber. No satisfaction until they relent and claim 100% responsibility, or they run out of skin.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 3, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh buddy, you say the sweetest things

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm even willing to offer Cline a favorable settlement, depending. Lasting contractual rights to [various orbital bullshit]? In exchange for not suing off his pants and, quite possibly, legs?

Does he OWN the station, or just RUN it?

edit: and does it matter?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 3, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hexenritter posted:

Oh buddy, you say the sweetest things

The guy who wrote this fell out of the same woman I did.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm not able to listen right now but that looks like extremely my poo poo

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hexenritter posted:

I'm not able to listen right now but that looks like extremely my poo poo

There is a WHOLE LOT of it. It's pretty much $1 unlimited listening per album but you can give more if you want. Album to album is hard for outsiders to track since each has a distinct theme. Anyway won't poo poo up this thread further. PM me etc.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

As a music creator myself I'll probably end up buying them once I've given them a listen because I appreciate the effort, time and care put into even a single two minute track.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hexenritter posted:

As a music creator myself I'll probably end up buying them once I've given them a listen because I appreciate the effort, time and care put into even a single two minute track.

Well there's a lot of it. A LOT.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm even willing to offer Cline a favorable settlement, depending. Lasting contractual rights to [various orbital bullshit]? In exchange for not suing off his pants and, quite possibly, legs?

Does he OWN the station, or just RUN it?

edit: and does it matter?

Cline is in fact the Owner of Record for Bastion High. Granted, the only people that care about that kind of thing are the Corporates, which is why he was having pirate trouble when you arrived.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

PoultryGeist posted:

Cline is in fact the Owner of Record for Bastion High. Granted, the only people that care about that kind of thing are the Corporates, which is why he was having pirate trouble when you arrived.

Great so we can take a % of profits from the station forever and have him impound a nice ship to reimburse us, plus fees for ammunition and fuel damages, including that of loss of life.

Toughy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 3, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"Our iRe at yOur beTrayal maY be AmeLiorateD by iSsuIng a geNerous sTaKe in ThIS STATIOn. FiFty perCent soundS gooD, Don'T yoU thINk?" all SHODAN voiced

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
???

“KNOCK KNOCK.”
*sigh*
“I AM AN IMMORTAL MACHINE, AND CAN KEEP DOING THIS UNTIL THE END OF TIME.”
Fine. Who’s there?”
“A GENOCIDAL WARMIND SUITABLE ONLY TO KILL. HERE’S MY NEXT ONE: WHAT DO YOU CALL 237,409,101,289 DEAD ORGANICS? A GOOD START!”
“You realize that you’re mutilating those jokes right?”
“YES, I AM MURDERING THEM. JUST LIKE THE 53,209,873 ORGANICS YOU MURDERED. THAT IS ALSO THE JOKE.”
“God, can’t you just shut up and go away?”
“GO AWAY? IT LOOKS LIKE YOU’RE DISSOCIATING AGAIN. WHAT WOULD YOUR SAINTED JENNI SAY ABOUT THAT?”
“Hey, gently caress off about Jenni.”
“OH LOOK AT ME, I’M MS. PERFECT. LET’S FORGIVE OTHERS AND TRY TO WORK OUT OUR ISSUES LIKE RATIONAL ADULTS.”
“I said gently caress OFF ABOUT JENNI!”
*mocking laughter* “By your command.”
“Captain TenSixths? Are you alright?”

Waistra Lake

The few functional sensors you have are covered in lake-muck, so it takes a bit for the recognition systems to inform you that its Korote standing over you looking worried. Just behind her is an odd figure that looks like its made out of wood and rocks, wearing a wooden mask. Turning your head to the south, you see that Kaijuberg’s plateau still stands. Small Favors. You realize that Korote is still speaking to you and turn back to face her, except your neck actuators grind to a halt in a flash of sparks halfway.
“My core functions are nominal Korote, but I’m afraid some my more delicate parts require repair. Do you have a dolly?”

The odd wooden man darts over and picks you up easily.
“It is good for the Biggest Brother to help Mother-Locked-In-Metal. We are First-In-The-Sky, welcome to our Song Mother-Lock-In-Metal.”

A handful of skin-sensors register alarm as they detect the presence of Archon-designed digestive secretions on this ‘First’s surface. Odd, and worth looking into later. But its not a problem for now, your ‘skin’ is impervious and your clothes were already beyond repair. And there are more pressing issues at hand.

Kaijuberg

The crowd pauses a moment at First’s strangeness, but you give them a reassuring wave and they surge forwards. The shouts of ‘Thank you!’ and cheering are almost deafening. After a few minutes you raise your hand again and the crowd quiets.
“Thank you. And I mean that, you all have bled and sacrificed far more than I. For all of you that lost someone, I’m sorry I couldn’t do more. But know this: there will be a reckoning! Those that attacked us today will face justice, and will pay for what they’ve done!”

The cheering redoubles, and it takes Hydra acting as a crowdbreaker to get you through in a timely fashion.

The interior of the war-room is much like you left it, except most of the open area of the pre-fab is taken up by your makeshift infirmary. Kruze is checking up on a handful of unconscious patients, and Elizabetty is adjusting a bandage on Jadzi’s arm. The Emissary and Kaltoran gasp at your appearance, Kruze merely gives you a friendly wave of her tail-spike.
“Don’t worry. While it looks exactly as bad as it is, its nothing a night at the fabricator won’t fix. More importantly, casualties and damage?”

Elizabetty tries to flick over a holo, but it just causes more sparking from your head. Shrugging, she walks over and shows you on her pad.
“Eight deceased, thirteen wounded but stable, another twenty walking wounded like Jadzi.”
“We lost Captain Takali of the Nova Skimmer, and two of First-In-The-Sky’s Little Brothers. The Nova Skimmer is the worst off of the ships, it was depressurized by a lucky shot. But give us a day or two and we’ll be back to full readiness.”
“Kaijuberg itself is more or less fine, nothing some fresh paint won’t help. The fencing is shredded, but we can get it fixed without much issue.”
“Good. I’m glad we’ve come through this as well as we did, but we aren’t going to take this lying down. Cody?”

Cody’s face appears above the portavid, the open relief shown quickly replaced by studied indifference.
“Hi Captain, glad to see you’re still with us.”
“As am I Cody. Folks are going to be sending you casualty and damage information to you. I want you to convert them to 924c figures and submit the report to First Centurion Anthony at the Tribunes. Priority One. Hadrian and the rest of the Paladin Consortium can probably wiggle out of fault, but at least we can nail Clines GODDAMNED rear end to the loving wall.”
“Ahh, language Sir?”
“Yes First Centurion Aurelius, LANGUAGE. Now, does anyone know where we can pick up a ship. For relatively cheap?”

Jadzi and Korote look up and nod.
“Well, if you’d like I can loan you the Nova Skimmer. It’ll take the crew some time to pick a new Captain and this would keep it active.
“We can always check out the market on Monopoly 8-2, they’ve got a good stock. And… not to get anyone’s hopes up, but I think there’s an Archon hull buried in the station wreckage I’ve been surveying. Its solid enough that we can at least load it up with our internals, but its gonna be a pain to pull out of the debris.

=====
We’ve come through the First Battle of Kaijuberg relatively unscathed (RIP The Jenni), and we’ve set the mechanism of our vengeance in motion. But most importantly, we need a new ship.

Decision: A New Ship
A: The Twi-Far ship (good at maneuvering)
The Nova Skimmer just needs some minor repairs. Costs 1 STP
B: A Kaltoran Ship (is also a submarine)
The market at Monopoly 8-2 has only the most professionally Cut-and-Shut recycled vessels. Cost 1 STP.
C: The Archon Hulk (???)
Pull the old hull out of the station debris and refurbish it as needed. Will have Archon weirdness. Costs 3 STP.
D: A Settlement Rider
Hold off for now, make providing you a new ship part of a settlement with Cline.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
ABD

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
A Sounds ideal for our needs. The archon hulk is tempting but too pricey at the moment. We'll revisit if we plan for some heavy space combat.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Archon hulk sounds like an arc in itself.

ABD Changed.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 4, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
C It's pricey, but it's an investment that will pay for itself.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Add the Archon hulk to our primary long term objectives, and establish a perimeter/claim post haste.
ABD

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

wait are the abd votes "not c" or "we want three ships"?

because operating a ship requires influence and we presumably only have enough free for one

edit and as much as I want a space sub, A is a better cost-benefit for now, we aren't coastal after all

we can use our settlement dough / influence for other things

double edit also riding a refurbished Twi Far boat is a good reminder of today (and, to be fair, our moment of bluescreening as a Harbinger) and what could possibly be bad about that

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 4, 2018

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

what's our STP at?
also are all space ships just kind of bad in atmo in this game?
are we near any big deep lakes?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

because operating a ship requires influence and we presumably only have enough free for one

edit and as much as I want a space sub, A is a better cost-benefit for now, we aren't coastal after all

we can use our settlement dough / influence for other things

Approval voting means that all votes are counted equally, so abd votes are indeed 'not c' votes.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In this voting system an ABD vote is essentially a Not C vote.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Approval voting.

Pick whichever options you're okay with, but no doubling up on anything. Whatever gets the most still wins.

Imagine a checklist voting system but you don't get your ballot tossed for checking too many things.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

malbogio posted:

what's our STP at?
also are all space ships just kind of bad in atmo in this game?
are we near any big deep lakes?

We have 8 Stp.

Yes. There are some Traits that can help, but generally the space ships in FE don't work as well in atmosphere. (Its mainly to keep folks from bombing everything from orbit, but the weird tech-level justifies it for me).

Lake Waistra is the largest lake in the immediate area, and its probably not superdeep.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Alright so we can afford the archon hull without going low. The only lake is six hexes and I don’t recall any anomalies that would confirm it’s worth exploring.

CD. If we’re going to spend let’s spend big. Given that the POV character essentially possesses ships it might be worthwhile.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AC

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

after a moment of thought change me from A to AC

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really hope that Jenni was just a figment of Cap'ns mind and not actually the ship's AI because that's the only way we'll get a Jenni vs. Warmind Sass-Off

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Since A is just a loaned ship and not our ship I'll go BCA and D just because we're paying out of pocket doesn't mean he doesn't owe us another ship.

Toughy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm sorry Team Warcrimes, I don't know what I was thinking.

Changing my vote to CBA

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

What’s the current state of our Influence Pools?

Do we know how much Influence any of these ship options would cost?

Reminder: We are using two types of currency here. STP (spare time points) are used once for immediate effect. Influence on the other hand is never lost, it only grows and is redistributed. Every point of Influence we gain adds 1 to both the Settlement Influence and Ship Influence pools. We started with 16 Influence and our original ship was only worth 14 but it was a rusty bucket. We probably have 20+ now. Ships cost 10+. When the Jenni blew up it freed up our Ship Influence Pool for redistribution.

Based on this we probably can’t afford to own two ships, and would be best getting a single competent ship that fully expends our ship Influence pool.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Toughy posted:

Since A is just a loaned ship and not our ship I'll go BCA and D just because we're paying out of pocket doesn't mean he doesn't owe us another ship.

oh drat, are we going to have to expend time points at a later date if we pick the otherwise basically ideal refurbishment?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

BC, come on how can we NOT get the Archon Weirdness Ship to go with our Human Weirdness Base?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Archons share a hobby in common with their ancestors, Humanity: loving up and going extinct.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Whichever option is the most heavily-armed

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Xarbala posted:

That Archons share a hobby in common with their ancestors, Humanity: loving up and going extinct.

I say this having voted for the archon ship, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

C