Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it'll always be so stupid that doctor who fans refer to themselves as whovians and not wholigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zedd posted:

WH40K: Dark Cursade is a good game, if you can get it on sale it holds up.
I actually sorta miss traditional RTS though, but in that subgenre it's legit great.
Two games I wish I could play but are kind of hard to get (also because GOG are assholes) is Rise of Legends (the steampunk magic vs Science sequel to Rise of Nations) and Paraworld (timetraveling alt universe where you command armies of tamed dinosaurs!!)

The late 90s through mid 00s were such a magical time when you could go to a retail computer game aisles and 75% of the games were RTSs while 25% were simulation tycoon games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's really weird that the Age of Empires style RTS is completely dead and no one at all seems to be even trying to revive it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sexpig by night posted:

it's really weird that the Age of Empires style RTS is completely dead and no one at all seems to be even trying to revive it.

Wasn't there a Cossacks game that came out recently? And Age of Empires is getting a remaster.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i want rise of nations 2 but curt schilling killed the company that made the original so rip.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wasn't there a Cossacks game that came out recently? And Age of Empires is getting a remaster.

Cossacks 3, which from what i understand is basically a modern remake of Cossacks: European Wars but I haven't actually tried it out.

I played so much Cossacks back in the day, was never actually good at it because I'm terrible at RTS' but goddamn if I didn't play a lot of Cossacks and StarCraft

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sexpig by night posted:

AoE 2 has had a bunch of new expansions since 2012 and they're making a new AoE game, you should check them out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sephyr posted:

Betrayer might be the best 40k book by a country mile. and ABD has a great, subtle way of making his monsters relatable and reminding you how rotten the universe is, even among the 'good' guys. I remember a passage in the Night Lords trilogy where a newly-inducted, formerly-noble slave assumes that all other people taken by the chaos marines have been dosed with drugs to keep them docile, because they did it all the time on Terra to keep the slaves servile. She's surprised whenan older slave tells her that they are not, and just go along and try to survive because that is all one can do in that world, no matter which side they are on.

That, and the very last line of the trilogy is a masterpiece of bittersweet triumph.

yeah, betrayer is legit great. making you feel bad for a giant rear end in a top hat named angron is fascinating.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i have been playing star wars battlegrounds. its dumb but it still holds up alright.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also going back to Battlefield 5, it isn't totally absurd for them to say they're exploring lesser known stuff on the Western Front, like if the entire storyline was focused on the 442nd Infantry Regiment, made up almost entirely of second-generation Japanese-Americans, who to my knowledge have never been featured in a video game, or the 761st "Black Panthers" Tank Battalion, which I'm sure you can assume the makeup of based on the name.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Can't talk about WW2 media without mentioning all the special forces / behind enemy lines flms (Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, Great Escape, various stories about Colditz).

khwarezm posted:

I know it's multiplayer but some of Battlefield 1942's maps are pacific islands.

Yeah Wake Island was the demo map for BF1942 and was kinda a signature for the series from then on.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

sexpig by night posted:

the average player is so bad at rts games that dota, league of legends and all of their derivatives ate up their entire player base, basically.

or to be more charitable, the skill set that RTS games rewards is so at odds with the skills people who play them have that the genre imploded on itself. the casual player of age of empires does not have or want to have 100+ effective APM or a small set of rotely memorised openings, they want to make broad strategic and tactical decisions over a moderately long period punctuated with bursts of action - and that's something that the 'MOBA' genre has cleaned up in. the warcraft 3 ladder died long before the custom games did.

it doesn't help that turn-based games - ranging from the directly analogous 4x to the more abstract X-Com - squeeze the genre from the other, less frenetic direction.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ungulateman posted:

or to be more charitable, the skill set that RTS games rewards is so at odds with the skills people who play them have that the genre imploded on itself. the casual player of age of empires does not have or want to have 100+ effective APM or a small set of rotely memorised openings, they want to make broad strategic and tactical decisions over a moderately long period punctuated with bursts of action - and that's something that the 'MOBA' genre has cleaned up in. the warcraft 3 ladder died long before the custom games did.

This is super true. I hate that so much of skill in a game supposedly strategy oriented game is actually decided by memorized build orders and tactical micromanagement.

I also think the rise of strategic zoom with Supreme Commander and Sins of a Solar Empire changed things too. Playing older RTSes that force you to play extremely zoomed in feels awful to me, even if I enjoyed those games when I was younger.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

another game like Myth would be nice

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

AriadneThread posted:

another game like Myth would be nice

Subject 13 :troll:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm still waiting for someone to make a standalone Golems game that blows up

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The problem with WH40K, and any lefty created depiction of a fascist sci-fi state like it, is that after you've put all the work into making sure that everyone knows what a miserable existence it would be to live under such a totalitarian regime they immediately justify the regime by creating an outside invading force that's ten times worse in every aspect.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I mean depending on which iteration of them we're talking about, there's been pretty objectively better groups in 40K than the imperium for a while. The necrons have been "Leave us alone: The Faction" at least a couple times, the tau were a genuinely righteous group for a while until GW shat all over their whole deal, the orks are good boys and can do no wrong.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gonzo McFee posted:

The problem with WH40K, and any lefty created depiction of a fascist sci-fi state like it, is that after you've put all the work into making sure that everyone knows what a miserable existence it would be to live under such a totalitarian regime they immediately justify the regime by creating an outside invading force that's ten times worse in every aspect.

I don't think that it's meant to be a justification, so much as it's just that everyone awful in their own way.

'Cept for da ork boyz, since it seemz like der havin' a fun time.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I played the Legend of the Five Rings RPG for a while and I noticed the exact same thing. Rokugan was depicted as this completely awful place run by religious zealots who spent most of their time plotting against and killing one another when they weren’t busy abusing the peasants, but they were technically the good guys because there was always some sort of demonic invasion happening.

Age of Empires was fun for me back in the day, but I was never very good at it because it was too fast-paced. In multiplayer you were up against people who could time their strategies to the second, and if you couldn’t do likewise there was no way of beating them. I ended up mostly just dicking around in the editor making my own little adventure game scenarios.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I played the Legend of the Five Rings RPG for a while and I noticed the exact same thing. Rokugan was depicted as this completely awful place run by religious zealots who spent most of their time plotting against and killing one another when they weren’t busy abusing the peasants, but they were technically the good guys because there was always some sort of demonic invasion happening.

John Wick goes to sleep every night after edging for 4 hours just thinking about being a vassal servant under a feudal lord and cutting down dishonorable ronin like the dog scum they are

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd say that Tyranny does a fairly good job of avoiding this. Noah Gervais did a video on it, but the game really reinforced how there are no winners under fascism only people who lose left, demonstrating the state of minds that fascism preys on, having no external justification for the fascism, and most important exposing though its story that even the central cult of personality the fascism is built on is a lie.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ungulateman posted:

the average player is so bad at rts games that dota, league of legends and all of their derivatives ate up their entire player base, basically.

it doesn't help that turn-based games - ranging from the directly analogous 4x to the more abstract X-Com - squeeze the genre from the other, less frenetic direction.

The thing that was brought up in another thread a while back(kickstarter games IIRC) the problem is that most RTS players back when they were popular play mostly campaign, skirmish or humans vs AI mulitplayer but most developers started targeting the competitive VS demographic. An RTS without a single player campaign is going to have a harder time recruiting a player base since it means there is no way to start on your own, you have to be introduced and taught by friends. The same is true for a lot of genres, you can look up trophy/achievement data and see that a lot of players don't even touch the multiplayer(for a lot of different reasons). We usually see comments that a lot of players don't finish games, but in this era where every game seems to pivot towards MP it's important to show that doing it that way will exclude a lot of players.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, my interest in RTS games extends almost solely to fun, varied campaigns. Warcraft 3 is my favorite, and World in Conflict was probably the last game that really did one that I was super engaged with. Trying to focus on a competitive multiplayer RTS feels to me like trying to make a WoW killer. The playerbase will decide whether it becomes competitive if the game gets a community, pushing a game as a purely multi experience isn't going to reach many people other than "Starcraft players bored of Starcraft".

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

It’s funny to think back to the RTS era because I essentially played them as a 4x (C&C, Red Alert, Starcraft, Age of Empires, Homeworld, Dune, etc) in that the fun for me was building a fully kitted out base and then trashing the AI with a swarm of the coolest units

I especially liked when you could build things like walls and roads because then you had a sort of city building game too

If I ever went online I always gravitated towards “2v2 NO RUSH” or something like that

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
This weekend I watched some reviews by Bobsheaux having not really heard of him before. I liked some of his reviews but I can't seem to get beyond his... cringe factor. He seems arrogant, does the "angrily screaming at movie" thing a lot, and integrates his furry lifestyle into his videos. I do not need commentary from his furry bird girlfriend's fursona nor references to yiffing nor cutaway gags to furry art.

Am I being a kink-shaming bitch to feel this way?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hel posted:

The thing that was brought up in another thread a while back(kickstarter games IIRC) the problem is that most RTS players back when they were popular play mostly campaign, skirmish or humans vs AI mulitplayer but most developers started targeting the competitive VS demographic. An RTS without a single player campaign is going to have a harder time recruiting a player base since it means there is no way to start on your own, you have to be introduced and taught by friends. The same is true for a lot of genres, you can look up trophy/achievement data and see that a lot of players don't even touch the multiplayer(for a lot of different reasons). We usually see comments that a lot of players don't finish games, but in this era where every game seems to pivot towards MP it's important to show that doing it that way will exclude a lot of players.

The trouble with this is that the idea that recent RTS games don't put a lot of time and effort into their single player is really not true at all, most of the ones released in the last five or so years have extensive single player components like campaigns or skirmishes. I think the genre has always just been niche and hard to do properly and now it gets crowded out since there's so much else out there.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

This weekend I watched some reviews by Bobsheaux having not really heard of him before. I liked some of his reviews but I can't seem to get beyond his... cringe factor. He seems arrogant, does the "angrily screaming at movie" thing a lot, and integrates his furry lifestyle into his videos. I do not need commentary from his furry bird girlfriend's fursona nor references to yiffing nor cutaway gags to furry art.

Am I being a kink-shaming bitch to feel this way?

He’s always struck me as an “okay” critic. Not great, but not bad. As with most critics his videos would be a lot better if he didn’t try to play a character and act out skits, but the parts where he’s just talking about the movies are entertaining enough. The furry stuff is… weird, and not to my taste, but I didn’t find it unwatchably annoying like I do with Linkara’s action-hero thing or Contra’s arguments with herself.

There's no shame in not liking his stuff, though, no matter the reason. The only way you would be kink-shaming is if you went out of your way to insult him over it, eg. by leaving nasty messages in his comments section.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Did you watch Dan Olson's video on Fifty Shades and think to yourself "drat this is good poo poo but i wish there was more vaping in it"

don't worry brah, ralph sepe's gotchu covered

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought it was illegal for two people to make videos on one thing

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I find RTS games unappealing because they ask me to run armies or entire civilizations when I can barely run my own life.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

khwarezm posted:

The trouble with this is that the idea that recent RTS games don't put a lot of time and effort into their single player is really not true at all, most of the ones released in the last five or so years have extensive single player components like campaigns or skirmishes. I think the genre has always just been niche and hard to do properly and now it gets crowded out since there's so much else out there.

I admit I haven't really kept up with recent RTS games because they "pushed me out" years ago, both because of MP focus and lack of basebuilding, and I haven't seem any that seemed to do what I cared about enough to go back. What recent RTS games do decent single player campaigns and skirmish modes?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not going to link it because gently caress MovieBob but he's got a video out on Solo's box office performance which seems less like he wants to talk about Solo than he does to bitch about millennials.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Hel posted:

I admit I haven't really kept up with recent RTS games because they "pushed me out" years ago, both because of MP focus and lack of basebuilding, and I haven't seem any that seemed to do what I cared about enough to go back. What recent RTS games do decent single player campaigns and skirmish modes?

Grey Goo, Halo Wars 2, Starcraft 2 and Homeworld Deserts of Kharak are recent and put a lot of emphasis on their campaigns (but all of them had a lot of problems with them at the same time). In addition all of the recent AoE2 expansions have tons of extra missions and even stuff like Dawn of War 3, for all of its issues, has a campaign. I think the problem with modern RTS games has little to do with too much emphasis on Multiplayer but that's a commonly hit upon reason for people who just want to chill with giant armies, the issues as I see it is that the whole genre has kind of hit a cul-de-sac where it's not clear what real innovation can happen mechanically, and as a result titles like DOW turn into this unholy amalgamation of RTS and MOBA games that satisfies nobody, or else, in an effort to make them less micromanagement focused, the games become so streamlined and automated that player input becomes almost pointless. RTS games were never incredibly popular but they've especially had their lunch eaten in recent years by MOBA titles and the whole genre absolutely does not work in the console realm despite repeated efforts which is really hobbles them, meanwhile it harder to make the games with current current graphical standards while also having the amount of content they had in the past, which is something I always see criticized about newer RTS games.

Finally, from my experience, it seems like old school fans just tend to stick with the old classics rather than move on to later titles, probably because of the aforementioned issues. I play lots of AoE2 and it's endlessly fascinating how that game still has a very healthy playerbase after almost 20 years, so healthy that active development has started for it again and tons of new content has been added since it went on steam which I've never seen before, but then you look at the later titles in the Age Of series and the playerbase drops off dramatically, which is a shame since I actually really like Age of Mythology.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 4, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Millennials? Huh?

People seem so eager to make up all these bullshit reasons as to why the new Star Wars movie didn't well, when it's kinda obvious that Disney are crapping out way too freaking many Star Wars movies. There's one every year, all these sub-movies, a Boba Fett one soon that's probably going to tank as well...there's too many of them. I never thought I would see a time when a freaking Star Wars film would be just another movie. Even in the prequel years, a new Star Wars film was still an event. Disney are focusing on quantity, not quality, pumping out bang average films and audiences are getting sick of it.

That and it turns out that Han Solo, quelle surprise, isn't a strong enough character to carry a movie - what exactly is there that we don't know? Boba Fett won't be either. Nor will Chewie or Lando or Greedo or Generic Stormtrooper #3 or whoever the hell else they're going to end up making a film out of by the time they're done.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm not going to link it because gently caress MovieBob but he's got a video out on Solo's box office performance which seems less like he wants to talk about Solo than he does to bitch about millennials.

So I watched this and other than his horrible over-long joke at the beginning, the thrust of the main video is actually that Solo doing just ok is not evidence of some kind of backlash against SJWs, but rather just that it’s a niche film in a competitive market that’s more so aimed at super fans rather than casual audiences. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The only spin-off I'm remotely interested in is Obi-Wan, and it's because I want them to basically make Obi-Wan: Fury Road.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

So I watched this and other than his horrible over-long joke at the beginning, the thrust of the main video is actually that Solo doing just ok is not evidence of some kind of backlash against SJWs, but rather just that it’s a niche film in a competitive market that’s more so aimed at super fans rather than casual audiences. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ah yes, a niche film that cost as much as $300 million to make directed by noted niche director and hungry up and comer Ron Howard

The man is an idiot

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I can't remember if it was here or CineD that I said that my opinion is, basically, all of Solos problems come from it being forced into a position of being a SUMMER SUPER BLOCKBUSTER TO TAKE MAY BY STORM rather than a small budget picture that could have broken even on a 60 mil weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kim Justice posted:

Ah yes, a niche film that cost as much as $300 million to make directed by noted niche director and hungry up and comer Ron Howard

The man is an idiot

“Niche” here meaning “is aimed at Star Wars nerds.” Not “people who like Star Wars.” I would argue spending 300 million dollars on a film about Han Solo is a dumb idea on its face anyway since it manifestly shows one doesn’t understand why people liked Han Solo in the first place, especially since they decided to make it in a world where he couldn’t actually be played by Harrison Ford.

He also brings up the “why wasn’t this movie just about Lando?” question which I agree with.