Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

:siren: HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER! :siren:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1002282099301343232

Limited Run Games has announced they'll be holding their own (and very first) E3 Press Conference this year! If you don't know who Limited Run Games are, they're a small indie publishing company that works in producing physical versions of typically digital exclusive games with, obviously, a limited print run. They focus on PS4, Vita, and Switch. Apparently they'll be announcing a localization here on top of new physical releases of digital games (hot money's on Switch's Golf Story).

Accordion Man posted:

Square during that period was hemorrhaging money due to the utter disaster that was original FF14 and they put all the brunt of the pressure on their Western dev-teams to make up for it instead of cracking down on their crappy in-house devs.

It was nice during that one press conference where they actually apologized for doing that.

Then some years later they shoved the Deus Ex team into Avengers games after telling them to split their game into 3 games so they can sell more games but hey it's the thought that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's still showing up as $4 on the store? :confused:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

I remember that tomb raider one. Game sold many millions and was undoubtedly financially profitable, yet it was a "failure" cause it still didn't sell more, and make more yet. I guess you could say it didn't meet projections but their wording on it was pretty rear end backwards.

I think the story with TR was that SE paid gigabucks to launch a trilogy and the devs did a ton of work upfront hoping the 2nd and 3rd game would therefore be cheaper/quicker to make but new management in japan took over and saw giga bucks spent and only megabucks coming in and panicked and blamed the western division. See also deus ex/hitman

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's still showing up as $4 on the store? :confused:

Was free during the Spring Fest, and that quest is offered free intermittently. I've never paid money for DLC in that game, which is part of the reason I love it so much.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

I remember that tomb raider one. Game sold many millions and was undoubtedly financially profitable, yet it was a "failure" cause it still didn't sell more, and make more yet. I guess you could say it didn't meet projections but their wording on it was pretty rear end backwards.

How did the new Tomb Raider movie do anyway? Square Enix's logo was all over the credits so I assume they put up some cash for it to be made.

I wasn't overly impressed with it, but I feel that if they got a chance to make a sequel without being constrained with having it be a origin story setup that it could be much better.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Over double its budget, which for a video game movie is gangbusters.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DMC5 and Resident Evil 2 domains have been getting updated by a Capcom-related registrar:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/devil-may-cry-5-domain-registered-resident-evil-2-domain-updated-more.46625/

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If Nintendo announces a new Animal Crossing for the Switch this E3 I’ll pee my pants

I want them to, but they're apparently making money hand over fist from the mobile game so they might not want to disrupt that cash cow :(

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
they're making a ton of money off fire emblem heroes but fe16 is still a thing. have faith gamers

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

I want them to, but they're apparently making money hand over fist from the mobile game so they might not want to disrupt that cash cow :(

Nintendo is pretty explicit about seeing the mobile games as supporting traditional titles, not replacing them. Idk if it's ready yet but there're almost certainly working on animal crossing switch.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Mount and Blade 2 release date/.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if we get the bannerlord release date drop at the PC gaming show

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'll pee my pants

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would die for a Bannerlord release date, please let it happen this E3 goddamn

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

DMC5 and Resident Evil 2 domains have been getting updated by a Capcom-related registrar:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/devil-may-cry-5-domain-registered-resident-evil-2-domain-updated-more.46625/

:pray:

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
If it's just going to be more sequels than I am most interested in Surge 2, Spelunky 2 and Ruiner 2 if that one exists.

House of the Dead new, remaster, reimagined, anything- would be the absolute best surprise and I would be hype for that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

swims posted:

House of the Dead new, remaster, reimagined, anything- would be the absolute best surprise and I would be hype for that.
They announced a new one a few months back, Scarlet Dawn. It's set for September in Japan and its arcade only for right now though, its coming State-side but no date on that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 4, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its too bad either Sega or Namco haven't made a VR remake of HotD/Time Crisis

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It sucks Namco never just made a Time Crisis collection for the Wii. The Wii was the perfect console for rail gun shooters.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Orv posted:

Over double its budget, which for a video game movie is gangbusters.

Pretty good, although didn't dethrone the current video game movie champion.

Angry Birds

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The new Tomb Raider made a larger percentage of its budget back than the original film despite being a more modest hit overall. Believe it or not the 2001 movie was a $200 million production.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

exquisite tea posted:

The new Tomb Raider made a larger percentage of its budget back than the original film despite being a more modest hit overall. Believe it or not the 2001 movie was a $200 million production.

Well yeah, they had to invent a minidisc robot that also did combat.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Ulio posted:

Ya Japanese publishers have some ridiculous expectations. Wasn't Tomb Raider a failure for Square because they wanted it to sell like 7 million copies or something when it sold only like 3? Also RE7 sold pretty well considering how RE6 turned off a lot of people from RE games.

Last 2 big capcom games were pretty good(MonHun & RE7) and DMC5 could be potentially great.

Tomb Raider 2013 took five years to make, was rebooted twice, was delayed from 2012 to March 2013 for extra polish, and had a $50 million ad campaign. What do you think it is a fair sales expectation for a game that has this much effort put into it?

Ulio posted:

Also RE7 sold pretty well considering how RE6 turned off a lot of people from RE games.

Last 2 big capcom games were pretty good(MonHun & RE7) and DMC5 could be potentially great.

RE7 failed to meet sales expectations twice. The game may have done more damage to the brand than RE6 since RE7 flopped hard in Japan where Capcom makes a mint off merchandising and fan events.

RE6 has also gone on to have strong sales through a PC and PS4/XB1 ports. I'm not sure RE7 will enjoy the same success in the future since it's not a co-op shooter.

Vakal posted:

How did the new Tomb Raider movie do anyway? Square Enix's logo was all over the credits so I assume they put up some cash for it to be made.

I wasn't overly impressed with it, but I feel that if they got a chance to make a sequel without being constrained with having it be a origin story setup that it could be much better.

It did fairly mediocre in America but made up for it with a strong overseas performance. The production costs weren't extravagant either.

It also very likely to make more money than Solo internationally. I don't think anyone expected that going into 2018.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sunning posted:

Tomb Raider 2013 took five years to make, was rebooted twice, was delayed from 2012 to March 2013 for extra polish, and had a $50 million ad campaign. What do you think it is a fair sales expectation for a game that has this much effort put into it?

God only knows what Square was actually expecting but it's still like the 2nd or 3rd best-selling Squeenix game of all-time at ~11 million raw sales, and the Tomb Raider name is internationally popular.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sunning posted:

RE7 failed to meet sales expectations twice. The game may have done more damage to the brand than RE6 since RE7 flopped hard in Japan where Capcom makes a mint off merchandising and fan events.
RE6 has also gone on to have strong sales through a PC and PS4/XB1 ports. I'm not sure RE7 will enjoy the same success in the future since it's not a co-op shooter.

That's depressing as gently caress, how is a shitheap like RE6 more profitable than RE7. If anything it's a great proof of concept for VR.

On the other hand, Capcom's sales expectancy for anything these days is "9 mil or bust" so gently caress them. And when something like MVC bombs it's entirely their own fault.

homeless snail posted:

Its too bad either Sega or Namco haven't made a VR remake of HotD/Time Crisis

It's absurd how HotD2 ISN'T on Switch and my E3 would be game set match if all they announced was HOTD2 for it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

God only knows what Square was actually expecting but it's still like the 2nd or 3rd best-selling Squeenix game of all-time at ~11 million raw sales, and the Tomb Raider name is internationally popular.

The game was discounted very quickly iirc, id be surprised if most if those sales were for even half msrp

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sony's doing a series of "pre-game" E3 streams starting from the 6th to the 10th to lead into their actual E3 conference on the 11th. The big draw of these streams is that every day they'll be announcing something new ahead of the actual E3 conference, which I assume to mean these are announcements they want to make but aren't big enough to merit being on the actual E3 conference.

Each of the shows begin at 8 AM Pacific/11 AM Eastern (for those of you in North America). Sony was kind enough to leave a general description of what the announcement is so you can kind of gauge if you want to watch it or not.
  • June 6th: New PS4 Game With PS VR Support
  • June 7th: Release Date for an Upcoming Worldwide Studios Title (probably Days Gone?)
  • June 8th: New PS4 Game
  • June 9th: New PS VR Game
  • June 10th: An Eagerly Anticipated Game Comes to PS VR (Spider-Man maybe?)

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

exquisite tea posted:

They were likely expecting something around 5 million units sold at full price but ended up closer to 3.4 million. The game's gone on to do well off sales and discounted copies, especially on Steam. Between TR 2013 and Rise's lifetime sales, the takeaway is that people enjoy these games but they're not always lining up first day for them.

DLC Inc posted:

That's depressing as gently caress, how is a shitheap like RE6 more profitable than RE7. If anything it's a great proof of concept for VR.

On the other hand, Capcom's sales expectancy for anything these days is "9 mil or bust" so gently caress them. And when something like MVC bombs it's entirely their own fault.

It's not unusual for co-op shooters in today's market to have mediocre reviews but enjoy strong sales. Ghost Recon Wildlands has a metacritic score around 70 but ended up being one of the best selling games of 2017. Most players just want to have a game they can pass the time with their friends.

I think if RE7 ended up being a AAA co-op action game and the RE7 we got was called Resident Evil Spooky House VR spin-off edition then Capcom would be in a much better position to address the varying tastes of their fanbase. However, it would take a lot of money and they're not always willing to spend that much on even their top brands.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I enjoyed RE6 more than 7 in the end. Re7 fell of a cliff the moment Jack stopped hunting you IMHO.

Also, running past Napads, throwing yourself to the ground and shooting them in their vulnerable backs with a shotgun was more fun and satisfying than anything in 7.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 4, 2018

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like we might get a season 2 for real

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1003667740857491456?s=19

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yeah I personally enjoyed re6 way more than 7 (but that's partially because i couldn't finish the latter because i have a thing with bugs)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Sunning posted:

It did fairly mediocre in America but made up for it with a strong overseas performance. The production costs weren't extravagant either.

It also very likely to make more money than Solo internationally. I don't think anyone expected that going into 2018.

It also had Daniel Wu, who is gaining popularity here but he's already really loving popular in China.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1003668218425192448

Special guests!! Only one of whom is confirmed to have said the n-word live on stream.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/Seemo/status/1003688531599020034?s=19

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

next call of duty buddy looks like a wet blanket

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Never forghetti

http://i.imgur.com/DtkdMMO.mp4

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
oh man new fallout has fish companion

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TY for posting this. It is so loving helpful.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

On the Youtube E3 show:

quote:

The show will include YouTube’s top gaming creators including Ali-A, AngryJoe, Boogie2988, iJustine, MatPat, TypicalGamer, Vikkstar, and many more. And the show will have world premiere game demos, exclusive interviews with top game developers, and live simulcasts of major press conferences from Xbox, Bethesda, Ubisoft and Sony PlayStation.

Cant wait to hear Boogie talk about SJWs ruining gaming and his favorite actress Roseanne Barr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Can’t wait to hear Boogie say the n-word live on stream

• Locked thread