Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hogan's going to live for at least another decade, he's got "mysteriously appear at the top of an organ donor list Steve Jobs style" money right now, courtesy of Gawker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me either way if the Nature Boy died tomorrow or when he's 98.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

Hogan's going to live for at least another decade, he's got "mysteriously appear at the top of an organ donor list Steve Jobs style" money right now, courtesy of Gawker.

Hogan dropping the leg on Gawker is unironically the best thing he's ever done.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
this is a timeline of actual events that took place on the last retro nitro watched

1. sid powerbombs ed ferrara and gets arrested by mike sanders
2. mike sanders tells scott steiner that its ric flair's fault
3. steiner says no one is safe until sid is sprung from jail
4. steiner beats up norman smiley
5. flair admonishes sanders for pulling what he did and tells him to free sid
6. there is no indication all night that sanders actually does this
7. ric flair posts security all around the building looking for steiner

skip forward to the main event

8. steiner comes out for his scheduled title defense and beats up hugh morrus. sid is still not on the show. there is no security anywhere despite this is a scheduled match and flair wanted security to contain him

the following is 4 minutes of peak wcw

9. steiner lets go of morrus and begins stalking to the back
10. shane douglas randomly attacks hugh morrus for getting torrie wilson fired and then both men disappear
11. steiner reaches the top of the ramp and starts yelling at people in gorilla
12. he grabs arn anderson and tosses him towards the ramp
13. arn rolls down the ramp
14. arn rolls further down the ramp
15. arn finally rolls all the way down to the bottom of the ramp
16. scott throws him into the ring
17. flair is shown backstage being restrained by fit finlay as he tries to save arn. all of a sudden goldberg appears
18. arn gets put in the steiner recliner
19. goldberg gets to the bottom of the ramp and is blindsided by lex luger
20. luger randomly beat up sgt buddy parker as well
21. arn is still being recleined
22. a giant pull apart develops outside as Tony screams "SID IS IN THE RING"
23. when they cut back to the ring WCW managed to completely miss Sid Vicious driving a cop car into the building, getting out, running into the ring, and starting to brawl with Scott Steiner
24. show ends as the tip of Sid's head can be seen in a mass of humanity

wcw

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

exploded mummy posted:

when they cut back to the ring WCW managed to completely miss Sid Vicious driving a cop car into the building, getting out, running into the ring, and starting to brawl with Scott Steiner

I lived through the Attitude Era and remembered WCW's awfulness but it still somehow manages to surprise/shock me all these many years later.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

exploded mummy posted:

this is a timeline of actual events that took place on the last retro nitro watched

1. sid powerbombs ed ferrara and gets arrested by mike sanders
2. mike sanders tells scott steiner that its ric flair's fault
3. steiner says no one is safe until sid is sprung from jail
4. steiner beats up norman smiley
5. flair admonishes sanders for pulling what he did and tells him to free sid
6. there is no indication all night that sanders actually does this
7. ric flair posts security all around the building looking for steiner

skip forward to the main event

8. steiner comes out for his scheduled title defense and beats up hugh morrus. sid is still not on the show. there is no security anywhere despite this is a scheduled match and flair wanted security to contain him

the following is 4 minutes of peak wcw

9. steiner lets go of morrus and begins stalking to the back
10. shane douglas randomly attacks hugh morrus for getting torrie wilson fired and then both men disappear
11. steiner reaches the top of the ramp and starts yelling at people in gorilla
12. he grabs arn anderson and tosses him towards the ramp
13. arn rolls down the ramp
14. arn rolls further down the ramp
15. arn finally rolls all the way down to the bottom of the ramp
16. scott throws him into the ring
17. flair is shown backstage being restrained by fit finlay as he tries to save arn. all of a sudden goldberg appears
18. arn gets put in the steiner recliner
19. goldberg gets to the bottom of the ramp and is blindsided by lex luger
20. luger randomly beat up sgt buddy parker as well
21. arn is still being recleined
22. a giant pull apart develops outside as Tony screams "SID IS IN THE RING"
23. when they cut back to the ring WCW managed to completely miss Sid Vicious driving a cop car into the building, getting out, running into the ring, and starting to brawl with Scott Steiner
24. show ends as the tip of Sid's head can be seen in a mass of humanity

wcw

This is so beautiful

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

I lived through the Attitude Era and remembered WCW's awfulness but it still somehow manages to surprise/shock me all these many years later.

the WON review of this Nitro concludes with " Seriously, how do things so regularly get this screwed up"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Randaconda posted:

Hogan dropping the leg on Gawker is unironically the best thing he's ever done.
Hogan's case was the front for Peter Thiel to wipe Gawker out of existence for saying mean things about him. I don't really want vampire billionaires shutting down (unionized!) news outlets they don't like, even if they're trashy tabloids.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Hogan's case was the front for Peter Thiel to wipe Gawker out of existence for saying mean things about him. I don't really want vampire billionaires shutting down (unionized!) news outlets they don't like, even if they're trashy tabloids.

This is the correct opinion. Yes, Gawker was awful tabloid poo poo, but it’s crimes pale in comparison to a nutbar conservative tech bro using his money to silence media outlets he doesn’t like.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It should also be pointed out that "vampire" is completely literal in Thiel's case

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Halloween Jack posted:

Even trashy tabloids that unrepentantly state they have the right to violate privacy and film naked 4-year olds if they want to?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Thiel v. Gawker is like Stalin v. Hitler. Thiel is an rear end in a top hat but he was briefly pointed at the right target.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Defiance Industries posted:

Thiel v. Gawker is like Stalin v. Hitler. Thiel is an rear end in a top hat but he was briefly pointed at the right target.

lol no

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This isn't the dumb opinions thread

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

How appropriate that someone defends The Ultimate Solution in the WCW thread

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Even trashy tabloids that unrepentantly state they have the right to violate privacy and film naked 4-year olds if they want to?
I admit I know very little of Gawker's coverage. But "wait until they attract the ire of a global plutocrat" is like the worst possible way to deal with whatever crimes they committed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AJ Daulerio, the rear end in a top hat who ran Gawker and talked about the four-year old and insisted the Hogan story was legit, was also long gone and Gawker didn't do that poo poo anymore by the time of the trial.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I admit I know very little of Gawker's coverage. But "wait until they attract the ire of a global plutocrat" is like the worst possible way to deal with whatever crimes they committed.

whats your opinion of posting videos of a girl getting raped and refusing to take it down after the victim contacted them and then responded to the victim with "blah blah blah"

Timby posted:

AJ Daulerio, the rear end in a top hat who ran Gawker and talked about the four-year old and insisted the Hogan story was legit, was also long gone and Gawker didn't do that poo poo anymore by the time of the trial.

just a year before the hogan lawsuit was finished, the main editors on the site published an article outing an executive at a rival media house as gay for no real reason other than they could

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 15, 2018

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

exploded mummy posted:

whats your opinion of posting videos of a girl getting raped and refusing to take it down after the victim contacted them and then responded to the victim with "blah blah blah"

just a year before the hogan lawsuit was finished, the main editors on the site published an article outing an executive at a rival media house as gay for no real reason other than they could

Said outing was also part of a blackmail scheme.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have no love for Hogan or Thiel, but just from a simple legal perspective Gawker were absolutely in the wrong. They had no more right to publicize its contents than to post stolen photos from a celebrity's phone.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gawker was bad, and barely qualified as journalism. No matter what kind of arsehole he is, (a big one), Thiel did a good thing by destroying it.

The scarier thing is the bigger picture of millionaires being able to take down news/journalism/reporting sites/organisations by proxy because they didn't like what they said or reported a couple of years ago. And that is very bad.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Also didn't one of their fuckhead editors make a joke about publishing a sex tape featuring a child or something during the goddamn trial?

Those idiots deserved worse than what they got

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Also didn't one of their fuckhead editors make a joke about publishing a sex tape featuring a child or something during the goddamn trial?

Those idiots deserved worse than what they got

Timby posted:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Sometimes reading is hard

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I have no love for Hogan or Thiel, but just from a simple legal perspective Gawker were absolutely in the wrong. They had no more right to publicize its contents than to post stolen photos from a celebrity's phone.

they were right actually unless you wanna cite some case law

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Super No Vacancy posted:

Hogan v. Gawker

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Anyone that ever watched Hogan Knows Best understands that Hulk Hogan is semiliterate trash with money. gently caress's sake, South Florida looked at the Hogan clan and said "drat that's too much Florida" The sex tape debacle is pretty much Hogan in a nutshell. That he saw any money out of it was purely by coincidence.

The legal wranglings were a continuance of the saga of the US legal system bowing before its corporate masters.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It’s ok to say that thiel winning is atrocious from a legal standpoint but also that it’s good that gawker no longer exists

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Did AJ Daulerio end up getting turbo hosed in the trial due to the result? Hoping that he did and that he did not land back on his feet.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this topic is always good for identifying whose opinions are not to be taken seriously

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
Hey in a desperate and tasteless attempt to change the subject, here's an old obscure Davey Boy Smith promo from WCW where hes clearly hosed out of his gourd on drugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eG0FOmsj18

Tried briefly to look up these "Backstage Blast" segments and they seem pretty hard to find, unless they put this poo poo on the Network and i'm not aware of it. Were these from the period where they tried selling Nitros on PPV?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

It's someone else's property. There's no compelling public interest. No different from the various celebrities having their private photos leaked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Be more like Funkchop and move on to a different subject, like, uhh.... David Arquette is getting back into wrestling, and Bryan Alvarez is probably only half-joking when he says he wants a match against him!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Funkchop posted:

Hey in a desperate and tasteless attempt to change the subject, here's an old obscure Davey Boy Smith promo from WCW where hes clearly hosed out of his gourd on drugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eG0FOmsj18

Tried briefly to look up these "Backstage Blast" segments and they seem pretty hard to find, unless they put this poo poo on the Network and i'm not aware of it. Were these from the period where they tried selling Nitros on PPV?

I believe so.

WCW also had another version of this. In the 1990s, the Main Event show on Sundays was 90% highlights, plus one exclusive match. On pay-per-view days, it was used for WCW's live pre-show with more matches. If you watched the feed on TBS, it came with commercials. If you switched to the pay-per-view channel, Main Event was also airing freely, but with extra backstage interviews during the commercial slots.

Speaking of more difficult to find footage, QVC (or another shopping network) did a live session for WCW merchandise from a house show once. I don't think much footage of the house show made it to air, though.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah. You paid money for the privilege of seeing awful backstage stuff during commercials. Naturally, almost no one paid for this poo poo, so we are dependent on people who did and who also taped it. Wish the network world put it all on there like Extra Attitude. As well as the WCW "pay to listen" show from the internet

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I believe so.

WCW also had another version of this. In the 1990s, the Main Event show on Sundays was 90% highlights, plus one exclusive match. On pay-per-view days, it was used for WCW's live pre-show with more matches. If you watched the feed on TBS, it came with commercials. If you switched to the pay-per-view channel, Main Event was also airing freely, but with extra backstage interviews during the commercial slots.

Speaking of more difficult to find footage, QVC (or another shopping network) did a live session for WCW merchandise from a house show once. I don't think much footage of the house show made it to air, though.

I believe it was all backstage with some establishing shots from before the show but sadly it is one of the QVC specials I haven't tracked down. I need this one and the second Goldberg special.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tato posted:

Yeah. You paid money for the privilege of seeing awful backstage stuff during commercials. Naturally, almost no one paid for this poo poo, so we are dependent on people who did and who also taped it. Wish the network world put it all on there like Extra Attitude. As well as the WCW "pay to listen" show from the internet

I wish I could find audio of the old Mean Gene hotline stuff. It'd be a fun companion piece to listen to when going back to old shows.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEEv0GZNTM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I.... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I am going to post that video in every thread I post in on the forums until I get probated