Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But if I ignore a sore knee it gets better after a few days, why doesn't that work on machines?? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

xzzy posted:

But if I ignore a sore knee it gets better after a few days, why doesn't that work on machines?? :smith:

That stops working on people, too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

xzzy posted:

Depends, does it get better if you continue running non-stop after the stabbing pain?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

wesleywillis posted:

A lot of times its Boss: "finish the job, we'll deal with it later".

100% this...
How I ended up replacing a fuel tank, transfer case, fuel lines, brake lines, a driveshaft, and massive holes in the cab of a pickup truck because of a failed u-joint. A $25 part that would probably have taken less than an hour to replace. BUT WE HAVE TO FINISH THE DAY ON IT. Instead it cost like a grand and half a day for me to fix it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I have never been this dedicated to anything in my life.

Give this motherfucker a team of people and I bet we can be back on the moon by next Friday.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

"Finish the job, we'll deal with it later."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Another skid steer. Loads salt onto barges.

"Which one seized?"

"Yes."

Also was this posted already?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 4, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

glynnenstein posted:

That stops working on people, too.

[ASK] me about being in my 40s.

When I was working at a Mazda dealership in the late 90s, one of the apprentices did an oil change on an MX-5 in the morning, and the car came back after lunch with a metallic clacking noise when the owner accelerated. The apprentice had left their 3/8 socket, 2-inch extension and oil filter wrench sitting underneath the intake manifold - he had dropped the oil filter, spun the new one on, tightened it and then cleaned up any oil dribbles, without remembering to take his tools out. I told him to go and get a piece of gravel from the parking lot so I could show the owner that it "must have been kicked up into the engine mount from the car park when you drove off". Good kid once he got over making mistakes from rushing around too much.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Pretty lucky that it didn't get stuck in moving parts there, wasn't he? Do mechanics do tool counts like surgeons/surgical nurses do (and obsess about)?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Pretty lucky that it didn't get stuck in moving parts there, wasn't he? Do mechanics do tool counts like surgeons/surgical nurses do (and obsess about)?

Most are pretty good but you have greenhorns in the shop who occasionally don't notice that a ratchet came out without the socket attached because they're using one with crappy bearings.

Source: Done that poo poo myself

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

MrOnBicycle posted:

You can accidentally stash a bunch of stuff in an engine bay. Most of the moving parts are fairly well shielded, and things tend to fall into little crevices in non-moving parts or splash shields or whatever. I've definitely found sockets an oil change or two after I've done some work, and once a used car came with a bonus Snap-On mini breaker bar.

Aerospace mechanics are obsessive about tool control. Outside of that, though - there's a reason this multipack of 10mm sockets exists.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
When my wife gave me a ratchet set for my birthday i was happily surprised that they included two 10mm sockets. One for the 1/2 ratchet and one for the 1/4 ratchet :love:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

When my wife gave me a ratchet set for my birthday i was happily surprised that they included two 10mm sockets. One for the 1/2 ratchet and one for the 1/4 ratchet :love:

That's still not enough 10mms. You should have at least 3 per ratchet size. You should just accept you will lose them because the Devil feeds on 10mm sockets.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Space Gopher posted:

Aerospace mechanics are obsessive about tool control.

Heavy maintenance shops certainly meet this description, and I’ve heard of military depot-level maintenance grounding and disassembling aircraft because of a single missing tool. It’s a real issue.

That said, there’s definitely a DC-10 in the desert (or possibly scrapped already) that has my favorite loving 1/4” drive 3/8” twelve point in the bottom of the #1 Pack bay. Other than that, I never lost a tool. It’s also why aircraft mechanics almost never scribe their tools; If it has a name on it, they can trace it back to you if it fucks something up.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

10mm bulk bag needs to be a thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Extraterrestrials exist, they, too, lose 10 mm sockets, and they have come to Earth to steal ours.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of sockets. How big of a deal is socket quality, and the difference between impact sockets vs normal sockets for the home user? So far I've just been using what came with the ratchet sets I bought at the Harbor Freight/Halfords equivalent in my country. I'm stepping into the "buy once cry once" phase, so trying to not buy crap. But no use in wasting money if the difference isn't worth it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

DiggityDoink posted:

That's still not enough 10mms. You should have at least 3 per ratchet size. You should just accept you will lose them because the Devil feeds on 10mm sockets.

I lost a 10mm socket around Tuesday while working on the mini, only to find it yesterday morning in the driveway. Miracle!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If fit is good and you’re not busting them, what’s the difference?

There is a long list of things I’d spend money on first.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shai-Hulud posted:

I get extremely annoyed that every single simple job I do requires at least 2 socket sets and often 3, because there is never the right combination of ratchets, socks, extension bars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of sockets. How big of a deal is socket quality, and the difference between impact sockets vs normal sockets for the home user? So far I've just been using what came with the ratchet sets I bought at the Harbor Freight/Halfords equivalent in my country. I'm stepping into the "buy once cry once" phase, so trying to not buy crap. But no use in wasting money if the difference isn't worth it.

Impact sockets aren't really better quality as such, just less likely to crack (or explode) when used with an impact.

It's the quality of metal and the tolerances being adhered to that are the main factors in a socket not chewing up on stuff. My experience is that anything at least mid priced is usually fine, pretty much all my own kit is Halfords stuff.

I'd always recommend avoiding cheap and nasty monkey metal, but broadly speaking, if it's got a name you've heard of on it, it's likely fine for DIY use.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I know a dude whose left hand is all hosed up from an impact socket exploding while he was holding it in place. The circlip on the end of his gun had come off at some point in time, so if you didn't hold it, it could rattle off the end. Dreadful pot metal crap with a vaguely Snap On looking logo in it. It basically embedded a big chunk of ragged metal in his palm, and he had to get microsurgery to repair the tendons and nerves.

tl;dr: don't use cheap poo poo impact sockets.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Memento posted:

I know a dude whose left hand is all hosed up from an impact socket exploding while he was holding it in place. The circlip on the end of his gun had come off at some point in time, so if you didn't hold it, it could rattle off the end. Dreadful pot metal crap with a vaguely Snap On looking logo in it. It basically embedded a big chunk of ragged metal in his palm, and he had to get microsurgery to repair the tendons and nerves.

tl;dr: don't use cheap poo poo impact sockets.

Counter point, I have a set of 10ish year old harbor freight that has been abused and beaten and is fine, and the one I've shattered was MAC :v:

As far as sockets, just make sure you get 6 point (have 12pt as a back up, but have everything in 6) and that they fit well. Cheaper poo poo usually has a much looser tolerance, and can round off more easily. But they're the last thing I'd spend good money on as a hobbyist when building a box.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Space Gopher posted:

You can accidentally stash a bunch of stuff in an engine bay. Most of the moving parts are fairly well shielded, and things tend to fall into little crevices in non-moving parts or splash shields or whatever. I've definitely found sockets an oil change or two after I've done some work, and once a used car came with a bonus Snap-On mini breaker bar.

Aerospace mechanics are obsessive about tool control. Outside of that, though - there's a reason this multipack of 10mm sockets exists.

I have a pretty good 11mm ratchet that came with an engine replacement in my old S40. Not bad.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Cool thanks. I'll be more mindful of fitment of my gear, but won't buy anything until it break. Should be fine.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I used a whole box of HF stuff in a professional setting, and rarely broke anything.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

i love knobbies on a jeep

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Nothing beats a nice stuffed crust tire.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Space Gopher posted:

10mm sockets are the perfect size to drop into the chassis side rail holes :(

DiggityDoink posted:

buy $1ea ebay Chinese ones and don't use the good socket that came in your set until the cheap ones are lost or broken. Don't be like me, trusting that "it will never happen to you" with my really really good vintage old set and then when it does happen, my only option is shittier sockets as replacements than what was in my old good made socket set, or pay ridiculous amount for a real high quality one and tempt fate again. Buy the cheapy and use first until lost/broken, keep the good one in the case

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 4, 2018

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
There is a deep 10mm socket sitting in the skid plate of my GTO right now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Both a 10mm and 7mm have been MIA for almost 2 months now. A lot of interior screws on my car are 7mm. :argh:

.... the only socket I'd lost in nearly 10 years before those was a 32mm oil filter socket. Irony: I recently replaced said socket, and it's been jammed on the oil filter housing cap for about 2000 miles. At least I won't lose it between oil changes, but getting a racket in it is a real PITA now (since it's under the intake manifold).

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

iwentdoodie posted:

As far as sockets, just make sure you get 6 point (have 12pt as a back up, but have everything in 6) and that they fit well. Cheaper poo poo usually has a much looser tolerance, and can round off more easily. But they're the last thing I'd spend good money on as a hobbyist when building a box.

Good tolerances aren't so important as the socket gets larger. I have a nice set of 8-17mm impact sockets, but larger than that and I wouldn't worry about a cheaper socket rounding off a bolt.

And christ, I think I have about 30x 10mm sockets of various sizes. Plus at least 10x 10mm wrenches, plus ratchet wrenches, etc. I have a ratchet of each size, plus a 10.8v impact driver which I keep just for 10mm sockets.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but I have never lost a 10mm socket. Or any sized socket, for that matter. What I can't seem to keep around are Allen wrenches, all of my metric ones seem to evaporate whenever I'm not looking

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrYenko posted:

Heavy maintenance shops certainly meet this description, and I’ve heard of military depot-level maintenance grounding and disassembling aircraft because of a single missing tool. It’s a real issue.

FOD flat-out kills people.

quote:

That said, there’s definitely a DC-10 in the desert (or possibly scrapped already) that has my favorite loving 1/4” drive 3/8” twelve point in the bottom of the #1 Pack bay. Other than that, I never lost a tool. It’s also why aircraft mechanics almost never scribe their tools; If it has a name on it, they can trace it back to you if it fucks something up.

If the tools aren't traceable back to you, that's really lovely tool control and the DCMA guys will come down hard on you for it. They're not necessarily scribed with a name, but they're drat sure tagged to a specific tool box, which you sign into when you start your shift and sign out when you're done after you've made sure that all the tools are where they're supposed to be. Telling your supervisor you've lost a tool is guaranteed not to result in any disciplinary action, because the absolute last thing you want to do is to have people trying to hide FOD. They will shut the line down and get everyone crawling over the aircraft until they find that part, no harm, no foul, just own up to it. Using an untraceable tool or not telling someone if you lose a tool will get you fired AF.

A number of years ago here one of the aircraft was coming off the line and undergoing production flight test prior to customer acceptance. Our crew does a test flight, the customer crew does a test flight. So this thing had undergone multiple complete visual inspections for FOD. End of the last flight, flight test maintainers open up the tunnel cover and there's a loose nut that came to rest right against the 7000 rpm drive shaft and had scored a deep groove in it; if that crew had stayed up in the air for another 15 minutes that'd have been a dead crew.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

The first time you round off a fastener on something important/annoying/time-sensitive you instantly understand why snap-on is a thing

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

As far as sockets, just make sure you get 6 point (have 12pt as a back up, but have everything in 6)
I still say the window for what will round off with a good 12pt socket that wouldn't with a good 6pt is pretty narrow, and with flank/wall drive designs the difference is minimal. A lot of my sockets are 12pt, and I don't tend to round stuff that isn't already something I'm pushing my luck with.

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Good tolerances aren't so important as the socket gets larger. I have a nice set of 8-17mm impact sockets, but larger than that and I wouldn't worry about a cheaper socket rounding off a bolt.
Yeah, I have a generic no-name 3/4" drive set for big sizes, and I don't find it causes me any hassle even when putting some good torque through them.

Phanatic posted:

FOD flat-out kills people.

Phanatic posted:

Using an untraceable tool or not telling someone if you lose a tool will get you fired AF.
Absolutely this.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I inherited a fairly cool old school Armstrong 3/8” and 1/4” socket set that had previously seen service with Scandinavian Airlines and every single piece was marked with the tool set id.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
At work today turny thing got real hot and then quit turning:

No replacement bearings available before 1030a tomorrow :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tactlessbastard posted: