Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don’t understand what Burgoyne got fined for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

realbez posted:

I don’t understand what Burgoyne got fined for

It's what came up when they span the wheel

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
AFLW trade period is over.

I was comparing the stats of Maddison Gay who left Carlton for Melbourne and Armilia Barden, who left Collingwood for Carlton and sorting the list by top scorers of the 2018 season I saw this... Collingwood are hosed.

Top 10 scorers for season 2018:

Collingwood have lost 7 players in that list: Christina Bernadi (GWS), Mo Hope (North), Jasmine Garner (North), Caitlin Edwards (retired, returning to rugby), Amelia Barden (Carl), Meg Hutchins (delisted), Emma King (North)

Collingwood are hitting the draft heavily this year... the same year two victorian teams are joining and have higher picks than the Pies. I wonder who'll be scoring goals for them next season.

Carlton have lost 3 in the top 10 scorers: Lauren Arnell (Lions), Maddison Gay (Dees) and Kate Shierlaw (delisted)

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

E: Hit wrong button
E2: What I really meant to post:

The Dogs may be the youngest total list but Saints are actually the youngest team in the comp at the moment. Here's the breakdown of the 5 teams that played on the weekend:

The Dogs were the youngest team in 9 of the 11 rounds (I believe, it’s at least 8)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Youngest isn't the best measure, as noted in those stats, number of games is useful to know, a total number of games combined not average because a 300 gamer obious drags that up.

australianfootball.com has those stats for each game.

For example: https://australianfootball.com/game/view/102414

Bulldogs were 24y 193d average age and 1817 games total with 830 combined goals.
Melbourne were 24y 327d average age 1978 games total with 994 combined goals.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

AFLW trade period is over.

Talia Radan left Adelaide for Melbourne, and it was an utterly bizarre trade, even accounting for picks not mattering to us - Radan, Pick 6, Pick 31 and Pick 52 to Melbourne for Pick 8, Pick 37 and Pick 47

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Talia Radan left Adelaide for Melbourne, and it was an utterly bizarre trade, even accounting for picks not mattering to us - Radan, Pick 6, Pick 31 and Pick 52 to Melbourne for Pick 8, Pick 37 and Pick 47

Yeah, it was part of the massive 5 way trade. AFL tried to get players where they wanted to go. Of course with Adelaide, the draft means nothing so...

https://twitter.com/_sjblack/status/1003515093139664896

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don’t think north’s Simpkin should have been suspended, either. He looked like he was trying to pull out. So basically he should keep careening at the ball and get both of them hurt? North should appeal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

The Adelaide Football Club has acquired a professional baseball team in a deal which broadens its reach across Australia, Asia and the United States.

The Crows are taking sole ownership of Adelaide Bite which will compete in the revamped Australian Baseball League, alongside teams from Korea and New Zealand, when it launches later this year.

Importantly, the Club’s football and high-performance program will not be impacted, and the arrangement will bring benefits for both organisations and respective supporter bases including:
  • Contributing to the long-term prosperity of baseball in South Australia through the delivery of a more commercially sustainable Adelaide Bite team and well-supported development pathways
  • Leveraging the scale and systems of Adelaide Football Club to enhance Member and fan engagement, including improved content production and distribution, game day experience and member servicing
  • A range of enhanced fan development opportunities nationally and internationally that will grow and broaden the supporter bases of both the Bite and the Crows
  • Important market and commercial development opportunities for the Adelaide Football Club, delivering greater exposure in Asia where baseball is hugely popular, especially in Japan, Korea and increasingly China following significant investment by Major League Baseball.
Crows Chairman Rob Chapman said the expansion into baseball was a significant moment in the Club’s history.

He added it was also providing crucial support to another proud South Australian sporting community and organisation with aspirations for success.

“We have often spoken about the need to diversify and what we are doing in this instance is playing to our strengths in sports administration, while adopting a model in line with other similar organisations across the globe,” Chapman said.

“Baseball is a proven and popular sport in the United States and Asia, and it expands our brand and footprint offshore.

“Our Board and senior management have a clear focus on building sustained success both on and off the field in a sports and entertainment landscape that is becoming increasingly competitive.

“Baseball Australia fielded significant interest for licenses from throughout Australia and overseas, and we are appreciative of their recognition of both our organisational capability and the importance of Adelaide continuing to be represented at the highest level of baseball in this country.”

Crows CEO Andrew Fagan said the acquisition was another step in the Club’s evolution following last year’s purchase of successful esports franchise Legacy, which also provides exposure to international markets.

“It is important to note that this is about growth, for both the Crows and the Bite, and our existing operations will continue unaffected and as per normal,” Fagan said.

“The restructured and improved national league creates an opportunity for considerable broadcast reach into Asia, not just for the Bite but for our State more broadly as well.

“We are looking forward to working with the Baseball SA and its coaches, players, staff and fans to build upon the significant work that has already taken place and deliver improved outcomes for all.”

Baseball Australia CEO Cam Vale described the Crows as a powerhouse sporting club and added their involvement in a new era of baseball was exciting for South Australia and the broader competition.

“The Crows are one of the leaders in Australian sport, and the potential that baseball has within their organisation as we push into Asia is enormous,” Vale said.

“Baseball offers a global reach to which few sports can compare, with the four biggest baseball countries also being top-ten trading and business partners of Australia in Korea, the United States, Taiwan and Japan.

“There will be a minimum 40 ABL games broadcast into Korea to a total audience exceeding 10 million people, not to mention broadcasts into other countries such as Japan, Taiwan and the United States.

“In 2017 alone, 34 million people went to professional baseball games in Asia which in itself creates a great opportunity for the Bite and in turn the Crows, along with our other ABL teams.”

Baseball SA and Adelaide Bite CEO Nathan Davison said the AFL club’s involvement would bring benefits for coaches, players, volunteers and fans at all levels of baseball in South Australia.

“The Crows bring a market leading approach to sports administration and high performance which will support and strengthen the passionate baseball community,” Davison said.

“It creates new commercial opportunities, supports the existing hard-working staff and will assist in fostering better talent pathways that will benefit generations to come.”

:confuoot:

I guess Nigel Smart has really taken to the multisport club concept that the owner of the NBL has been championing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Adelaide just buying top up players and a new medical team.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Can't wait for an opposition batter to get beaned by the detached limb of a Brett Burton trained pitcher

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's a news article about it, but the google search the title trick doesn't work anymore

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Interesting. I was always under the impression that the baseball teams were an unprofitable moneysink put in place by the MLB to foster home grown talent for them to later poach, and I was totally all right with this because I liked going to the matches.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think they still are, but the teams were all league owned and are now being sold as privately owned franchises, with the carrot being a potential profit to be made through broadcasts in Korea and Taiwan.

The other thing I've thought of is that the Bite used to play their home games at Norwood Oval, before moving to a field in Glenelg West Beach a couple years ago; moving them back to Norwood, alongside the AFLW side, is more weight when asking for government funding for stadium upgrades.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 4, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
We regret to inform you that the Adelaide Bite has requested a trade to Victoria

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Interesting. I was always under the impression that the baseball teams were an unprofitable moneysink put in place by the MLB to foster home grown talent for them to later poach, and I was totally all right with this because I liked going to the matches.

They're also used as development for the major league farm systems in the offseason. Acuña was playing for Melbourne a couple of seasons ago.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Dunno but I've had a go at theorycrafting a fictional league system in OOTP which gets a lot more expansive than what we have now. (Although the real ABL is in the game.)

Coming up with plausible schedules is the killer. I used 1960 as a starting point so Perth isn't viable until the 70s when air travel became more affordable.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

We regret to inform you that the Adelaide Bite has requested a trade to Victoria

Unfortunately the entire team did an ACL walking from the couch to the beer fridge.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The Bite star batter has unfortunately blown out both hamstrings and developed osteitis pubis walking in a home run.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The catcher has had the ball thrown so hard at him that the ball went straight through him, leaving a perfectly round hole in his torso

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Left field and centre field have collided running for a catch and spontaneously combusted, leaving nothing but a pile of ashes and an illegal Balfours sponsorship in the outfield

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

racing identity posted:

The catcher has had the ball thrown so hard at him that the ball went straight through him, leaving a perfectly round hole in his torso

Essendon doesn't own a team or any pitchers though

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Does the Bite come with it's own INJURY WHEEL or can we pass ours onto them?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think I'd like Hawthorn to go through with the idea of getting a NBL team, because I *think* I'd watch basketball. Baseball is ok but I know I wouldn't watch it.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

cmndstab posted:

Does the Bite come with it's own INJURY WHEEL or can we pass ours onto them?

Adelaide are hoping that the injury wheel has a limit to the amount of injuries it can cause and are trying to pad out the club with more bodies to stop it from continually landing on the footy players

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The wheel could not be satiated with merely the current Adelaide squad, and has now started taking out former Adelaide players in Cameron and Lever.

The poor baseballers have no hope

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Alternatively the baseball team is just a front for an organ farm

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
The linsfranc injury to Cameron in the tackle sounds pretty bad

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Charlie Cameron to miss the rest of the season.

The Adelaide injury wheel knows no bounds and is now targeting former crows players.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The wheel was last seen rolling south towards Blacktown

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Hardwick launched a spirited defence of Rance on Tuesday, essentially saying people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

"We're always trying to bring a champion down and that's what I thought this was," Hardwick said.

"As long as we've set the standard now, I'll find five of those free kicks a game that are over-exaggerated free kicks.

"I was really disappointed in the commentary. He's a champion of the game and I don't think we need to be saying it's a stain on his career.

"I found that really disappointing, and I think there will be a lot of people embarrassed by the commentary if we go back and look at their career

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Probably true about former players in glass houses, but... They’re still all right about Rance.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

realbez posted:

I think I'd like Hawthorn to go through with the idea of getting a NBL team, because I *think* I'd watch basketball. Baseball is ok but I know I wouldn't watch it.
The Melbourne Tigers (who should change their name back because United sounds stupid for a basketball team) since Andrew Gaze was such a mad Hawks fan although I don't know if the connection was any stronger than that. If the NBL ever gets back to the state where Melbourne and Sydney can field second teams again... we'll have to wait a bit I think.

Basketball is a pretty good fit for footy though.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

Charlie Cameron to miss the rest of the season.

The Adelaide injury wheel knows no bounds and is now targeting former crows players.

Now we know what happened to Tippett back in January! :tinfoil:

The only question is, who's next? Gunston? Wright? Kerridge? Dangerfield?

My money is on Ed Curnow.

snaeksikn posted:

Adelaide are hoping that the injury wheel has a limit to the amount of injuries it can cause and are trying to pad out the club with more bodies to stop it from continually landing on the footy players

Ooh, this is a new way to visualise the wheel. I had imagined it as a device people are strapped to, and then it is turned to cause the injury. But having it as some kind of awful Wheel of Fortune-esque wheel with each player's face lighting up as it spins past their square is good too.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 5, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The wheel has returned to Adelaide, with Lynch (oblique), Douglas (eye), and Laird (hand) all in doubt for the Fremantle game

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

cmndstab posted:

Now we know what happened to Tippett back in January! :tinfoil:

The only question is, who's next? Gunston? Wright? Kerridge? Dangerfield?

My money is on Ed Curnow.

Ooh, this is a new way to visualise the wheel. I had imagined it as a device people are strapped to, and then it is turned to cause the injury. But having it as some kind of awful Wheel of Fortune-esque wheel with each player's face lighting up as it spins past their square is good too.
This kind of reminds me of Blood Bowl where the RNG fucks your poo poo up and ruins everything just as you're about to make a TD.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gunston, Wright, Kerridge, Lyons, Davis, Vince, Dangerfield, Ed Curnow, McKernan, and Henderson are the ex-Adelaide players still in the league who are not already injured, that list being Lever, Cameron, and Wigg

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snoremac posted:

Hardwick launched a spirited defence of Rance on Tuesday, essentially saying people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

"We're always trying to bring a champion down and that's what I thought this was," Hardwick said.

"As long as we've set the standard now, I'll find five of those free kicks a game that are over-exaggerated free kicks.

"I was really disappointed in the commentary. He's a champion of the game and I don't think we need to be saying it's a stain on his career.

"I found that really disappointing, and I think there will be a lot of people embarrassed by the commentary if we go back and look at their career

Pretty telling when the best defence you can launch of your overrated cheating oval office defender is “other people do it too :qq:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tom McDonald signs on for 4 years :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
the tribunal is agonising over the Fyfe thing

deliberating for 15 mins so far