Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

Mauls only recognizable features are he’s red, has horns and a double sided lightsaber. He’s got nothing else

Also his smooth very-English voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It wasn’t even his original voice!

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Don't know if this was already confirmed but Darth Maul was Ron Howard's decision:

Ron Howard posted:

It was sort of initially written in a rather generic way. It just sort of said boss. And I thought when I came in, I assumed they knew who it was and they were just keeping it under wraps. And they didn’t. But Maul was listed as one of the candidates. And I lobbied hard for that. I thought that made a lot of sense to me.

My son Reed is not in the business. He’s a dedicated fan. I just whispered that possibility and he just thought that would be incredibly cool. And so for that generation, I thought, well that was gonna be a pretty interesting idea. And doing a little more research and understanding sort of how the character had worked elsewhere, I thought it was good. And the Kasdan’s were on board with that.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/ron-howard-solo-darth-maul-villain-1201969603/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ron Howard's paving the way for Jar Jar's redemption.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ryan Coogler's Creed, but it's Jar Jar's son trying to redeem his father's name.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Can't tell which thread is supposed to be the Solo discussion one, but I saw it this morning. I knew pretty much exactly what to expect going in based on the reviews I'd read and people's spoiler-free takes. It was entertaining but a bit rough around the edges, suffering from the same issue of figuring out how to start the movie that Rogue One did. A few stray thoughts:

Alden Ehrenreich actually came across as much more natural in the context of the movie than he does in the trailers, but he still doesn't quite pull off Han. There were a few moments when he made an expression or said something and it shone through, but most of the time I just felt like I was watching a cosplayer.

The Lando-L3 stuff was moving in the direction of interesting weirdness but didn't quite land it. I wish he'd been introduced sooner so that we could get some more character development as well, since he's the by far the best character in the whole movie.

The visual design was excellent, with the universe truly looking like OT Star Wars. I really liked the design of Corellia and actually wished we could've seen more. I also wish we could've seen a bit of Han's time in the Imperial Navy. The cinematography was, however, pretty generic and bland. Nothing notable like some of the more adventurous shots from TFA.

The sound design, on the other hand, was really bland. Landspeeders and speeder bikes had some of the most distinctive sounds in all of Star Wars, and yet both vehicles barely even made sound in this movie. I couldn't believe while watching the initial chase that these two great-looking vehicles basically just made generic humming noises. Same with the characters -- the aliens all seemed to sound like minor variations on characters from Jabba's Palace. The score was, predictably, also generic.

I think this is the greatest drawback to pumping SW movies out so quickly -- it detracts from the really important visual and sound design elements. I can forgive a ton if a SW movie just captures the look and sound of the OT, but without both a generic movie like Solo really loses a lot of its appeal.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The score owns

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

ruddiger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eco_xvkEQlg

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

CelticPredator posted:

The score owns

What about it did you think was notable? Nothing really stood out to me, and the choral parts accompanying the appearance of Enfys Nest's crew felt discordant.

That's another thing: the ending of the movie also seemed to cheapen Han's turn at the end of ANH. I was really hoping they wouldn't pull the "and he ended up working for the rebellion" move but they did.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

CelticPredator posted:

The score owns

The rendition of the asteroid field song was real good.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

MeinPanzer posted:

What about it did you think was notable? Nothing really stood out to me, and the choral parts accompanying the appearance of Enfys Nest's crew felt discordant.

That part stood out especially because of Nier Automata. I was into it, definitely unique for a Star Wars movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The theme is fantastic. It’s very energetic and adventurous and like Powell’s other scores, he keeps the whole thing moving. Enfys Nest theme is really unique and when it pops in it brings in a sense of menace and awe.

I listened to it before the film and the score had more energy and a more joyful swashbuckling feel than the film did.

The first track Meet Han is exceptional, when the drum kicks in and the first part of The Han theme kicks in, it gives me chills.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes I know Williams wrote it, and it’s one of my favorite themes he’s created, but the way Powell used it was incredible for me. I much prefer his take.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

ruddiger posted:

ron howard voice: i wasnt

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

dreffen posted:

The rendition of the asteroid field song was real good.

That actually bothered me - it felt like those 1990s Star Wars video games where they just played a track from the soundtrack throughout the level. I don't mind variations on previous themes, such as the slow "Duel of the Fates" riff during the Maul reveal, or the occasional Rebel Fanfare (which in this movie seems to have become the Falcon theme), but it sounded like they straight up lifted the whole Asteroid Field track and played it almost in its entirety, just stopping short of where it morphs into the Han & Leia theme.

On another note, do we have any statements from the creature designers about what happened to the other Wookiees' faces? They looked really weird and apish, like someone didn't have the time or money to apply enough fake fur to them. Were they supposed to have been, I don''t know, shaved at some point as a sign of their enslavement? Or chafed off by the work in the mines? You never saw them up close and always out of focus and in passing, but even so you could tell that something was very off about them. I usually buy the "visual dictionary" books because I love looking at the costume and prop details - is there anything in the book about them?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Dave Syndrome posted:

On another note, do we have any statements from the creature designers about what happened to the other Wookiees' faces? They looked really weird and apish, like someone didn't have the time or money to apply enough fake fur to them. Were they supposed to have been, I don''t know, shaved at some point as a sign of their enslavement? Or chafed off by the work in the mines? You never saw them up close and always out of focus and in passing, but even so you could tell that something was very off about them. I usually buy the "visual dictionary" books because I love looking at the costume and prop details - is there anything in the book about them?

Given the rest of the alien designs i figure lord & miller just asked for "wookies but kinda weird/grotesque". Chewie is a bishie wookie but the rest were all creepy looking.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

“And I thought when I came in, I assumed they knew who it was and they were just keeping it under wraps. And they didn’t.”

I thought they had a plan they were keeping under wraps but it turned out they didn’t so I just pulled something out of my rear end: The Disney Star Wars Story

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Dave Syndrome posted:

That actually bothered me - it felt like those 1990s Star Wars video games where they just played a track from the soundtrack throughout the level. I don't mind variations on previous themes, such as the slow "Duel of the Fates" riff during the Maul reveal, or the occasional Rebel Fanfare (which in this movie seems to have become the Falcon theme), but it sounded like they straight up lifted the whole Asteroid Field track and played it almost in its entirety, just stopping short of where it morphs into the Han & Leia theme.

Well it works that it feels like a 90s Star Wars Games considering they loving loop back to referencing Teras Kasi :v:

Overall yeah I liked the others too. Real good!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Vintersorg posted:

Enfys Nest is just Destiny Fallen Captain armor.

Like 90% of Destiny's armor is ripped almost 1:1 from various 70s concept arts for Vader/Boba Fett/other OT and PT stuff so it's the other way around. Destiny looking like Ralph McQuarrie: The Game was half the reason I was interested in it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 2, 2018

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Supposedly the weird looking wookiee was a design choice, specifically used to reflect the horrible working conditions on Kessel. Essentially being malnourished and having mangy hair loss.

In regards to Enfys' theme, I loved it partially because it echoed the original Ghost in the Shell main theme to me. Gave her an other worldly menace. It also helped that she got more substantive action scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0z08OpmEPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5Lzq-F0qk

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The score is really really good. Powell takes the theme Williams created and weaves it into almost every beat of the soundtrack and it's great, and the love theme Powell gives to Han and Q'ira is like straight out of the 70s and feels so grand and beautiful, I kind of feel it was wasted on that particular relationship, but its great music anyway.

Also, yeah, the mixture of the tie-fighter battle in A New Hope and the Asteroid Field stuff from ESB into the Kessel Run score is just goddamn awesome.

It's not on the soundtrack, but I also LOVE the really low toned slow version of Duel of the Fates for Maul when he shows up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Teek posted:

Supposedly the weird looking wookiee was a design choice, specifically used to reflect the horrible working conditions on Kessel. Essentially being malnourished and having mangy hair loss.

I wasn't even sure whether they were supposed to be wookies or some similar-looking species that hit too close to home for Chewie to ignore.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

psyman posted:

The sound effects really let this film down I think, I’m surprised at how weak and anemic the audio was. I’m convinced it’s part of why people are saying they found the experience a bit bland.

The train heist had almost no ambient noise, weather effects, carriages & track creaking or ship engine sounds (think of the cool popping/bursting effects in the prequels). The mixing heavily favoured music and dialogue.

Even the Mil Falcon was absent of any humming or throbbing ambience. By far the weakest audio in any Star Wars film I would say, though the score had a great choir part that came on a few times.

Has anyone seen it in Dolby Atmos, would that be different?

From a while back, but yeah, I did. It was actually my first time at an Atmos theater.

Atmos is loving incredible, but I only know that because of the demoadvertisement before the movie. Based on what I heard in that demo, I'd say the movie barely utilized the capabilities of Atmos, so no it didn't make the audio any better.

Not only was that very disappointing, but now I hate my own (non-Atmos) sound system.

FE: Actually, not anymore. After hearing the demo (and the few moments the movie really did something with it), I kinda picked up on a couple things about how to make surround sound work better. I did my homework and read up on the nitty gritty of Atmos, and was like "Aha, I've got this poo poo set up wrong!" Made a couple adjustments, and now my sound is much better. Even the demo (I happened to already have a copy of the same demo used in the theater) sounded almost as good as the theater, except for lack of overhead speakers, and that made me pretty drat happy. Just this alone (and I do mean alone) made the price of admission worthwhile.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Listening to the soundtrack now and yeah, this is probably the best music from a Disney era SW.

Listening now to the movie’s take on the classic Tie Fighter attack score from ANH and it’s absolutely fantastic. Incredibly energetic. Not better than the original in that it is dependent on it, but it absolutely works.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 4, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Almost Blue posted:

Don't know if this was already confirmed but Darth Maul was Ron Howard's decision:

Ron Howard posted:

It was sort of initially written in a rather generic way. It just sort of said boss. And I thought when I came in, I assumed they knew who it was and they were just keeping it under wraps. And they didn’t. But Maul was listed as one of the candidates. And I lobbied hard for that. I thought that made a lot of sense to me.

My son Reed is not in the business. He’s a dedicated fan. I just whispered that possibility and he just thought that would be incredibly cool. And so for that generation, I thought, well that was gonna be a pretty interesting idea. And doing a little more research and understanding sort of how the character had worked elsewhere, I thought it was good. And the Kasdan’s were on board with that.
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/ron-howard-solo-darth-maul-villain-1201969603/

This is interesting, because it actually gives us a rare glance at what the story group is doing. This seems to say Ron Howard, of all people, was given a list of who the crime boss was allowed to be (based on who was alive and remotely possible to be the crime boss), and he could choose from there. Maybe they actually are enforcing some story guidelines on the movies.

I'd also be curious to see who else was on that list.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Zorba the Hutt

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That has to be one of the most transparently cynical things I've read about this movie yet. Uh let's see what we can namedrop in Plot Point #7 here.. *checks notes* Darth..Maul? Darth Maul? Yeah that's something you idiots like, isn't it? Double laser swords whoosh!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

That has to be one of the most transparently cynical things I've read about this movie yet. Uh let's see what we can namedrop in Plot Point #7 here.. *checks notes* Darth..Maul? Darth Maul? Yeah that's something you idiots like, isn't it? Double laser swords whoosh!

It feels weird to me because wasn't Ron Howard brought on after a whole bunch of scenes had been shot? How did they not have [Crime Boss] locked down by then? Was the script just, like, Insert Character Here (See Appendix 14C)?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1003645049920507905

That's...gross, and I don't know why you felt the need to tell us that, Star Wars Twitter account.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Milky Moor posted:

It feels weird to me because wasn't Ron Howard brought on after a whole bunch of scenes had been shot? How did they not have [Crime Boss] locked down by then? Was the script just, like, Insert Character Here (See Appendix 14C)?

The entire crime boss drama was reshoots, so it looks like the whole ‘Kira gets promoted’ thing was never in the original version.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 5, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thrawn527 posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1003645049920507905

That's...gross, and I don't know why you felt the need to tell us that, Star Wars Twitter account.

It is the mucus that binds us!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Milky Moor posted:

Pretty much that is what happened and Darth Maul was one of the available options. He chose him because his dumb kid thought it would be cool.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Imagine if it instead was General Grievous but now 100% a robot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SirDrone posted:

Imagine if it instead was General Grievous but now 100% a robot.

But does he keep the cough?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's back.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lightsaber: A Star Wars Story (2024)

In this exploration into the origins of the iconic

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Solo was the last best chance to have a star war without lightsabers right

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Boba Fett could go without. As would my as of yet unoptioned podracing film Redline 70000

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

Boba Fett could go without. As would my as of yet unoptioned podracing film Redline 70000

I don’t think they could resist not having Boba Fett fight an exiled Jedi considering what happened to his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Calaveron posted:

[ClaudiaChristian]It failed.[/ClaudiaChristian]