Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eames posted:

Nope but they mentioned it for iOS so that's slightly concerning. The beta will be out later today so I guess we'll find out through NDA leaks.

Dark mode will only work on the highest levels of GPU hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gently caress YOU APPLE NO NEW PROS

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ratbert90 posted:

Dark mode will only work on the highest levels of GPU hardware.

The face when you have a 10-year old Mac with more powerful graphics hardware than the next 3 years of new Macs will have :smuggo:

Also the face when Apple arbitrarily cut you off so you buy new poo poo :eng99:

eames
May 9, 2009

Theophany posted:

Also the face when Apple arbitrarily cut you off so you buy new poo poo :eng99:

how else are they going to sell the current like of macbooks?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress YOU APPLE NO NEW PROS

Wrong presentation, isn't it? I lost track of what they're doing these days but the hardware stuff is usually in a Q4 presentation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Gay watchface is go.

You can pick a top and bottom for it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can pick a top and bottom for it.

:dadjoke:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

enojy posted:

Wrong presentation, isn't it? I lost track of what they're doing these days but the hardware stuff is usually in a Q4 presentation.

Every once in a while they will announce hardware at WWDC, but it's pretty rare.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Looks like I'm just going to be getting a boring ol MBP today.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

****Rumour Only******

Macworld UK is speculating that only Macs that can support Metal will be included for the Mojave update which would mean:

iMac models from 2012 or later
MacBook models from 2015 or later
MacBook Pro models from 2012 or later
MacBook Air models from 2012 or later
Mac mini models from 2012 or later
Mac Pro models from late 2013

****Speculation – Please remain calm ****

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

We won't be happy until every presentation is a hardware presentation. And honestly they're so overdue they could announce new hardware every conference for the next three years and we'd still be pent up and frustrated.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Really don’t want ARM Macs. Hackintosh user, admittedly.

Same.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qemu-arm is a thing. :smug:

eames
May 9, 2009

welp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

eames posted:

how else are they going to sell the current like of macbooks?

Making them vaguely enticing would be a start.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm surprised. I really doubt many people will want to buy a new computer at the same time they upgrade their phone.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Over There posted:

I'm surprised. I really doubt many people will want to buy a new computer at the same time they upgrade their phone.

Computers will be July or October, phones September.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

boo on not even the lamest spec bump for SE2.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hmmm I really hope my 13 rMBP will support dark mode.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Metal Support requirement seems to be confirmed by Apple.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/06/apple-introduces-macos-mojave/

E; the important bit:

Availability
The developer preview of macOS Mojave is available to Apple Developer Program members at developer.apple.com starting today, and a public beta program will be available to Mac users in late June at beta.apple.com. macOS Mojave will be available this fall as a free software update for Macs introduced in mid-2012 or later, plus 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models with recommended Metal-capable graphics cards. Some features may not be available in all regions or languages.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

squirrelzipper posted:

Metal Support requirement seems to be confirmed by Apple.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/06/apple-introduces-macos-mojave/

E; the important bit:

Availability
The developer preview of macOS Mojave is available to Apple Developer Program members at developer.apple.com starting today, and a public beta program will be available to Mac users in late June at beta.apple.com. macOS Mojave will be available this fall as a free software update for Macs introduced in mid-2012 or later, plus 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models with recommended Metal-capable graphics cards. Some features may not be available in all regions or languages.

That last part is very encouraging for me. I want to believe!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Well I guess my 2010 iMac having served me for 8 years is good enough...

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

My 2014 mbp softly weeps.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

squidgee posted:

My 2014 mbp softly weeps.

It shouldn't, it loving owns.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

...Macs introduced in mid-2012 or later...
Looks like my mid-2012 MBPr will need to be replaced in the next year, before the OS in 2019 comes out.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Quit watching at the watch part. They didn’t mention anything about Apple Music or music.app did they?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Quit watching at the watch part. They didn’t mention anything about Apple Music or music.app did they?

No, they just acquired shazam so any refresh will be in September with the new phones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IUG posted:

Looks like my mid-2012 MBPr will need to be replaced in the next year, before the OS in 2019 comes out.

So like first and second generation rMBPs will be good but might not get dark mode right? I’m not sure if I’m reading this right.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

So like first and second generation rMBPs will be good but might not get dark mode right? I’m not sure if I’m reading this right.

I have the first gen Retina screen MacBook. It's listed as a Mid-2012 in the About This Computer menu, so it's the minimum specs now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mac Rumors buying guide has been useless ever since Intel stopped their tick-tock cycles and computer hardware got "good enough" about 7 years ago.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Just installed iOS12, music.app is the exact same as the iOS11 one. Opens way faster though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IUG posted:

I have the first gen Retina screen MacBook. It's listed as a Mid-2012 in the About This Computer menu, so it's the minimum specs now.

drat it’s been a good run little machine.

Admittedly I don’t use it as much now that I got my new 15 but I still love the drat thing.

Maybe I’ll install the beta on it. How much of a pain in the rear end is that really? I don’t care if poo poo breaks I just use it for discord and to poo poo post.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I didn't watch this or even know this was happening until now.

What good poo poo did I miss that will affect me if I only own an iPhone X and not an iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Mac or CarPlay unit?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I didn't watch this or even know this was happening until now.

What good poo poo did I miss that will affect me if I only own an iPhone X and not an iPad, Apple Watch, Apple TV, Mac or CarPlay unit?

You can be a Mii now and use it in FaceTime for max creepiness.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Grouped notifications, built in workflow, group FaceTime, more flexible DND mode, umm some Safari privacy stuff.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also new animojis including a tiger and a ghost.

Your Memoji can wear a MAGA hat (shown during the demo) or other props.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So if I've never used Animoji and I don't use Safari (I'm all in on Chrome), it's basically just notifications and workflow?

I gotta watch a video of these things to know how they work because I can't tell from text.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Also new animojis including a tiger and a ghost.

Your Memoji can wear a MAGA hat (shown during the demo) or other props.

And a T-Rex.

And tongues. Tongues all over the place.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Krispy Wafer posted:

And a T-Rex.

And tongues. Tongues all over the place.

Facetime with 32 other fersonas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So if I've never used Animoji and I don't use Safari (I'm all in on Chrome), it's basically just notifications and workflow?

I gotta watch a video of these things to know how they work because I can't tell from text.

IMO you should really use Safari. I know you are all in with chrome but they are making some good improvements with Safari.

• Locked thread