Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My dad bought me Trespasser when it came out and was so proud like he was the cool nintendo dad buying games for his kids, and I felt so guilty about hating it I played it until I cried :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

Something plot related that I didn't know, is that LTTP is referenced in Majora's Mask - when I got the flute and played it for it's original owner in the Dark World Clearing he lost himself completely and became a sad little tree boy - exactly what will happen to the Deku Butler's Son in Termina.

also, of course I have a lot of comments talking about good aspects of games no one has played - that's what this thread is for. Any problems I have with odd games that I play would naturally go in the other thread. People just couldn't believe that I have more problems with a 20 year old game I have no nostalgia for that more recent albeit less polished games.

Oh woe is you, having people mildly disagree with your assessment of a beloved game

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

I greatly enjoyed ALttP as a kid but I replayed it a couple of years ago and it was slow as gently caress

I didn't even get the first Pendant

I watch a lot of LttP Randomizer races when I lack the brainpower to do something actually useful. Thank god for the 200% playback speed; at that speed it actually looks like a reasonably-paced game.

It took a bit of practice before I could understand the commentators though.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Samuringa posted:

I greatly enjoyed ALttP as a kid but I replayed it a couple of years ago and it was slow as gently caress

You get the dash boots right before where you quit lol.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's just a lot easier nowadays to bounce off a game when you have your own source of income and can buy whatever the hell you want. Back when mom & dad were running the show and got you a new video game twice a year, you're gonna become an expert in that poo poo even if it's Taz in Escape from Mars.

After a long deliberation at the local video store, Taz in Esapce From Mars was the game I chose for a birthday, from my poor moms single-parent income. I’ve never felt worse than trying to pretend I didn’t waste her money and that I enjoyed that horrendous piece of poo poo.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Jun 4, 2018

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

After a long deliberation at the local video store, Taz in Esapce From Mars was the game I chose for a birthday, from my poor moms single-parent income. I’ve never felt worse than trying to pretend I didn’t waste her money and that I enjoyed that horrendous piece of poo poo.

One time my dad came home with a surprise and I was so excited, because we had been playing Age of Empires together and I thought it was the Rise of Rome exp.

It was Mario Teaches Typing.

He is going to a cheap home.

Edit: it actually was Rise of Rome, he had just hidden it underneath the dumb mario poo poo. I love my dad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's just a lot easier nowadays to bounce off a game when you have your own source of income and can buy whatever the hell you want. Back when mom & dad were running the show and got you a new video game twice a year, you're gonna become an expert in that poo poo even if it's Taz in Escape from Mars.

i repeatedly beat the original bubsy

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And millions watch Logan Paul regularly but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

i repeatedly beat the original bubsy

Like, with a hammer?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Like, with a hammer?

like, without a game genie

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
I love how Persona 5 hides its central leitmotif.

For comparison, Persona 4 has a pretty core and central leitmotif in I'll Fight Myself; it's most recognizable as the end-of-dungeon boss theme, but there's a non-combat version of it that plays in the scenes afterward, it's mixed into the final boss theme, it comprises part of the opening menu music, it's part of the credits music, and it crops up a few other times in the soundtrack.

(Spoilering Persona 5 stuff here, because it does require me to poke at the later parts of the plot, although I'm avoiding specifics)

Persona 5's equivalent is Our Beginning (note: don't read the comments, they get actually-specifically-spoilery real quick). Like I'll Face Myself, it worms its way into a few parts of the soundtrack; I know of an emotional resolution track that it's in, for some reason it's in the music for one of the shops, again it's central to the final boss theme and in the credits, and there's other places.

But you don't notice it until long into the game, because they only play Our Beginning itself right after the final boss. Said final boss theme has the central tune of Our Beginning in it, and that's the first time it's really in the forefront. But only after that do you hear the track itself, the whole thing played in full. And it immediately sounds familiar despite you never hearing it before, because it's been all through the game, and then if you're like me you're listening to the soundtrack months later you start recognizing those grabs that appear in other songs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Samuringa posted:

Yeah I would argue that while LttP is not a bad game, it has some pretty severe pacing issues and a handful of other little annoyances.

I'd say Link's Awakening has it beat there, but I seem to always sputter out around the Face Shrine without fail...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Biplane posted:

My dad bought me Trespasser when it came out and was so proud like he was the cool nintendo dad buying games for his kids, and I felt so guilty about hating it I played it until I cried :smith:

I remember my dad talking about how he went to a PC Games store and talked to the clerk about his son enjoying playing them and the clerk told him about a game that was okay for all ages and this one that was pretty hardcore and he should avoid it. So, naturally, he bought that one, which was Expect No Mercy, a 2D edgy fighting game that was absolute garbage.

Olaf The Stout posted:

You get the dash boots right before where you quit lol.

Not movement, the entire flow of the game. And also the movement.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I would argue that while LttP is not a bad game, it has some pretty severe pacing issues and a handful of other little annoyances.

I'd say Link's Awakening has it beat there, but I seem to always sputter out around the Face Shrine without fail...

Link's Awakening is still my favourite Zelda after the twenty something years I've been playing the series. I really loved its use of the LTTP items while also keeping to the 'each screen is a whole room' that was great in the original Zelda. The unique music themes to each of the dungeons were fantastic too. The later gameboy Zeldas were pretty great too but I wasn't so fond of the less inspired design of the dungeons (of the oracle games in particular) and the fact they had large rooms with a scrolling camera.

LTTP is really good but still crazily overrated (that said age hasn't butchered it as much as it did OOT)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sad lions posted:

Link's Awakening is still my favourite Zelda after the twenty something years I've been playing the series. I really loved its use of the LTTP items while also keeping to the 'each screen is a whole room' that was great in the original Zelda. The unique music themes to each of the dungeons were fantastic too. The later gameboy Zeldas were pretty great too but I wasn't so fond of the less inspired design of the dungeons (of the oracle games in particular) and the fact they had large rooms with a scrolling camera.

LTTP is really good but still crazily overrated (that said age hasn't butchered it as much as it did OOT)

Link's Awakening is such a bizarre Zelda game. I recently played it a few months ago, and man, it's peculiar. Blatant references to other Nintendo properties, a high difficulty when it comes to figuring out where to go and what to do next (particularly in dungeons), a strange cast of characters and an even weirder setting - it just all comes together in a very unique package.

Also some heart pieces and secrets are near-impossible to find without a guide. Like the one where you need to randomly dive down in a particular section of water in a moat that's not indicated in any way to get a heart piece.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Morpheus posted:

Link's Awakening is such a bizarre Zelda game. I recently played it a few months ago, and man, it's peculiar. Blatant references to other Nintendo properties, a high difficulty when it comes to figuring out where to go and what to do next (particularly in dungeons), a strange cast of characters and an even weirder setting - it just all comes together in a very unique package.

Also some heart pieces and secrets are near-impossible to find without a guide. Like the one where you need to randomly dive down in a particular section of water in a moat that's not indicated in any way to get a heart piece.

To get the boss key in the second dungeon you need to kill a pols voice, a stalfos and a keese in a particular order, with no hint or indication of what the order is

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

To get the boss key in the second dungeon you need to kill a pols voice, a stalfos and a keese in a particular order, with no hint or indication of what the order is

nah there's something in that dungeon that gives you a hint towards the order, i remember specifically because i got stuck there as a kid because i didn't know any of the enemy names so i didn't even parse it as a hint and thought it was just talking about the names of bosses or something

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Calaveron posted:

I'm fairly sure the dungeon's owl statue tells you, if cryptically.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Sad lions posted:

I consider Ocarina a 'time capsule' game. These days not necessarily something that can stand on its own because there's been so many innovations in that field (although it does stand better in that respect than a lot of other 'time capsule' games), but one that's so clearly and unmistakeably of its time that it's harder to judge it by modern metrics, and a lot easier to consider it a product of its time, which is usually much more favorable to it.

OoT is in that basket with FFVII, Deus Ex, Sonic Adventure 1, MGS1 and 2, and a few others.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
See the other problem is that the chests in Link's Awakening are super well hidden too

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Link's Awakening would be the perfect Zelda game if it weren't for the lack of buttons on a GB necessitating weird things like a wordy message every time you walk into a rock without a bracelet equipped or whatever.

The Oracle of Seasons/Ages games were rad too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I am enjoying in LTTP so far is the storytelling in the Dark World - there are a lot of interesting NPCs that together form an idea that being trapped in the Dark World is a slow death, first of the mind, then the body. The first thing you notice is that without protection Link is absolutely powerless. If he hadn't lucked on the mirror he would have been stuck there like everyone else. Then you meet a Goblin playing with a Ball who tell you that they used to be adventurers/thieves before they got trapped there. However, despite the fact that they both know that the other was human, one is still playing with the other as if he were an object, absently kicking him around, long past caring to find a way out.

Then you meet the flute boy much later, in the clearing, and see the final stage of the transformation - everyone is doomed to forget themselves completely, and become part of the Dark World itself, with the flute boy taking that literally as he turns into a withered, saddened tree. It's quite profound.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Have you talked to any of the trees yet?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have you talked to any of the trees yet?

I don't like them. I got too close to one and it spat a bomb at me. :saddowns:

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Cleretic posted:

I consider Ocarina a 'time capsule' game. These days not necessarily something that can stand on its own because there's been so many innovations in that field (although it does stand better in that respect than a lot of other 'time capsule' games), but one that's so clearly and unmistakeably of its time that it's harder to judge it by modern metrics, and a lot easier to consider it a product of its time, which is usually much more favorable to it.

OoT is in that basket with FFVII, Deus Ex, Sonic Adventure 1, MGS1 and 2, and a few others.

Same idea in "seeing further by standing on the shoulders of giants", where you have to respect that the sick nasty features we love today are almost entirely iterative innovations on these older games.

Sonic Adventure I think is "of its time" in that I was an idiot who asked for a Dreamcast for Christmas and couldn't fathom that the game is godawful. Although it does have a little thing I still really like, which are the little voice clips after you get your score for a level.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Detroit: Become Human, if you walk over something that's important to someone you'll do the thing where you stretch one leg over and then the other while making sure you don't bother what you're walking over.

Also you get to stare at Clancy Brown for hours and he yells "get over here you loving cocksucker" at some dude and proceeds to get into a fight with him. These are the two good things.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Sonic Adventure has some of the worst cutscene animations I've ever seen, it rules

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I am enjoying in LTTP so far is the storytelling in the Dark World - there are a lot of interesting NPCs that together form an idea that being trapped in the Dark World is a slow death, first of the mind, then the body. The first thing you notice is that without protection Link is absolutely powerless. If he hadn't lucked on the mirror he would have been stuck there like everyone else. Then you meet a Goblin playing with a Ball who tell you that they used to be adventurers/thieves before they got trapped there. However, despite the fact that they both know that the other was human, one is still playing with the other as if he were an object, absently kicking him around, long past caring to find a way out.

Then you meet the flute boy much later, in the clearing, and see the final stage of the transformation - everyone is doomed to forget themselves completely, and become part of the Dark World itself, with the flute boy taking that literally as he turns into a withered, saddened tree. It's quite profound.

Hey BE have you played or are you planning on playing A Link Between Worlds? Because it's basically LttP, but better in almost every way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Morpheus posted:

Hey BE have you played or are you planning on playing A Link Between Worlds? Because it's basically LttP, but better in almost every way.

This is a controversial and 100% correct opinion.
LTTP was great and deserves it's legendary status but ALBW is a better game all around.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sonic Adventure has some of the worst cutscene animations I've ever seen, it rules

https://youtu.be/A7qNmDAcyoI

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I haven't played Between Worlds no but may do some day.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I haven't played Between Worlds no but may do some day.

I recommend you do, but not immediately. Play a few games in between, and when you start it up you'll be hit with a heavy nostalgic feeling, I can almost guarantee it.

I mean I'd recommend waiting like 10 -15 years for the best impact, but that might be just a little too long.

Leavemywife posted:

Speaking as someone who almost never replays games these days, certainly not without trophies (I'm a monster, I know), after beating LBW with 100% completion I immediately started it up on hard mode and did it again. That game is so good.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

How is this possible when Wind Waker exists?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

How is this possible when Wind Waker exists?

WW has that triforce piece hunt, which is one of the worst bits of gameplay I have ever experienced.

Like the piece which is marked on your map, but requires you to go halfway across the gameworld to a different location (not marked here be trifoce) and give a character loads of vendor trash, that has hitherto had no purpose, and that the game has openly encouraged you to sell.

15 years later, that still bites.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Majora's Mask is the oddest Zelda, and the only one I've played for more than a few hours, so it wins.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wind Waker is all cartoony and fun and then Link straight up stabs a dude in the loving head.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Was there ever a Zelda game for Game Boy? I had a GB Advance SP. It could play regular GB games, too. I don't remember seeing any Zelda games for it.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Aleph Null posted:

Was there ever a Zelda game for Game Boy? I had a GB Advance SP. It could play regular GB games, too. I don't remember seeing any Zelda games for it.

Like 3 of them, Links Awakening, Oracle of seasons and Oracle of ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
For the Game Boy Advance, there was The Minish Cap and a port of A Link to the Past.