Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/QBcpMVy.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Gif doesn't start early enough, they were sitting there before the convoy of zombie lemmings (who inexplicably ignore the people who just let them out of trailers) even drove up

I also like that the stadium crew has snipers with high powered who fell no need to take a single shot as the vultures amble around in the parking lot and open their troop transports

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

moist turtleneck posted:

this has gimple written all over it

https://i.imgur.com/kfQvD9l.gifv

Why would he spend so much time spinning?!?!?! He looking away while hes out of cover because hes loving spinning.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Anyone else cringe during the scene when Nick was telling Madison that he thought the reason he didn't want to go outside anymore was because he was scared of being without her?

Like, when the scene started I was thinking at first "aww well it looks like they really did make amends with each other at least," but the more Nick kept talking the more I was expecting someone to walk out and say "Freeze all motor functions! Dammit, who changed his script..." because holy poo poo they really did just rewrite his entire character.

I've been a cheerleader for this show a long time, but last night had a lot of dumb poo poo and I haven't been so pissed off after watching an episode since Madison turned on the hotel lights.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the nick speech was really weird and you could tell he was just forcing it through

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/PogTxBc.gifv

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 5, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Looked up the episode's director, and it looks like it's the first action show they've worked on (and its their fourth episode overall).'

She's directing this week's Colony too, so I think it'll be interesting to compare the two. But I reckon it honestly could be any number of factors.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

Looked up the episode's director, and it looks like it's the first action show they've worked on (and its their fourth episode overall).'

She's directing this week's Colony too, so I think it'll be interesting to compare the two. But I reckon it honestly could be any number of factors.

I remember comparing season 1 of Colony and season 1 of FTWD lol. I know FTWD came out 6 months earlier but I saw Colony first and they honestly did a better job with the whole "family drama in occupied LA/downfall of human civilization," but with off-screen aliens instead of off-screen zombies. When Nick got dragged off by the military dudes I was like "oh poo poo Nick got sent to the factory."

I liked Nick waaaaaaaayyyyyy better than Bram though.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

moist turtleneck posted:

There's a worse bit a couple of seconds later where Alicia is standing completely out of cover and some guy just shoots the ground all around her.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
The Once Upon a Time writers they brought on for this season are doing a good job with characterisation. Their little touch of changing the title for every episode is okay too. It's staying consistent, but some of the (probably Gimple dictated plot points) aren't great. Ie the fall of the stadium. I'm still wanting Madison to become a ruthless dictator, but it's less and less likely unfortunately.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

:swoon:

This felt like such a wasted filler episode. In the ‘Now’ Alicia finally offs Mel, and in the ‘Then’ they’re trying to help him because they’re still good people. Didn’t much care for it, dragging poo poo out like will Dorie survive and what happened to everyone at the baseball stadium until the MSF. Though with Madison, Strand and Luciana agreeing to go outside to rescue ‘the people that couldn’t drive away before the zombies surrounded them’ makes me certain Doug, Viv, Cole and the 39 nameless (and mostly unseen) occupants are all gonna die.

Unless they find a few holed up in the infirmary.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
At this point I feel like Dorie is gonna die while Naomi gets meds

Naomi get back and Dorie has eaten Charlie and Al so Morgan has to walk off and gently caress something else up

Spellman
May 31, 2011

journalist posted:

I'm not part of the story.

morgan posted:

this story's almost finished. it doesn't have to be that way, for john.

Epicc

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh on a side note I think Naomi's vulture hair do is cute

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

On an additional side note, Mel and Ennis’s ‘before’ outfits are so ridiculous, that’s just how I assume I’d end up dressing in an apocalypse. Denim vest over a long-line flannel top? Yes! Silk pajama pants? Also yes!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

LadyPictureShow posted:

On an additional side note, Mel and Ennis’s ‘before’ outfits are so ridiculous, that’s just how I assume I’d end up dressing in an apocalypse. Denim vest over a long-line flannel top? Yes! Silk pajama pants? Also yes!

Heavy handed symbolism of people with MOVING TRUCKS pulling up to a new area! The bourgeois are here! Hide your property values!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Captain Log posted:

Heavy handed symbolism of people with MOVING TRUCKS pulling up to a new area! The bourgeois are here! Hide your property values!

poo poo, hipsters! They heard about the stadium’s dollar PBR nights!

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

So I know Gimple isn't officially showrunner but there have been a lot of unmistakable Gimplisms lately. It wouldn't surprise me if he's convinced his ideas and logic from TWD are still great and blames people's dissatisfaction with just overall fatigue for the main show.

Gimple to himself probably: Watch I will do the same thing but on a fresher show that is currently well-received by its audience and they will love it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

At this point I feel like Dorie is gonna die while Naomi gets meds

Naomi get back and Dorie has eaten Charlie and Al so Morgan has to walk off and gently caress something else up

Dorie had to be injured and taken out of the gunfight or he would have shot the weapons out of the Vulture's hands in 7 seconds.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Colman Domingo (Strand) regarding the mid-season finale: https://ew.com/tv/2018/06/06/fear-the-walking-dead-colman-domingo-midseason-finale/amp/

"(...)show’s midseason finale, directed by Michael Satrazemis (best known for helming The Walking Dead’s “The Grove” and the John Dorie–Naomi backstory episode “Laura” from the season of Fear)."

I'm looking forward to it. It's also confirmed the timelines will meet up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So why the flying gently caress did Nick and company just PARK IN THE PARKING LOT and let the zombies surround them? Like.. uh.. why not just drive a few feet back and say "we'll meet up once it's clear?"

Seriously them being outside was an advantage. The show could have fixed this whole stupid plot point just by having their vehicle rammed or the tires shot out but nope.

moist turtleneck posted:

It also drove me nuts Strand had a BANDOLIER OF GRENADES. Like seriously, I've never seen a situation more appropriate for throwing grenades yet never used a single one.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 7, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

:perfect:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm going to pray the last episode was an outlier. That action was so loving horrid.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've watching season 2 after having given up at the end of the first season. A few people over in the main thread in the last year or two advised me to give it a go again, and I don't know if it's just because the main show became so bad, but I'm halfway through the season and appreciating it far more than I had expected. One thing I like is that although there's plenty of bad decisions - as in nearly all zombie shows/films - they're usually from the randoms they meet throughout the show, so it's actually a bit satisfying seeing them bear the consequences of their actions. Which usually involves getting eaten.

Edit:: awwshit then I got to the shoplifting and hotel bar episode.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 8, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Marmaduke! posted:

Edit:: awwshit then I got to the shoplifting and hotel bar episode.

madison and strand getting trashed at that hotel bar and playing honkey-tonk piano is gold standard television

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Log posted:

I'm going to pray the last episode was an outlier. That action was so loving horrid.

You know as horrid as it was, I honestly think it was still better than TWD proper because I could at least tell who wanted to kill who and they tried to do something more interesting than shot-reverse-shot with guns.

Oh, and they're actually using blanks in some of the guns instead of telling the actors to shake the gun around so there's that, it had better production value than a youtube video or TWD proper

ED: Also the vehicle blowing up actually looked pretty unlike

The show is damned (with faint praise for being unable to limbo beneath TWD's low, low standards)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
still holds true for regular walking dead

https://i.imgur.com/HXmv8Uo.gifv

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

It also drove me nuts Strand had a BANDOLIER OF GRENADES. Like seriously, I've never seen a situation more appropriate for throwing grenades yet never used a single one.

I hate to quote myself but I just realized this is the inverse of Chekov's Gun

We'll call it Strand's Grenades

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I think it's part of Strand's character to not use or expend an asset until he is absolutely forced to.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

I think it's part of Strand's character to not use or expend an asset until he is absolutely forced to.

So you're saying he's like one of those FPS players that never use their good weapons to save the ammo and end the game dead with max ammo

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Binary Logic posted:

Strand’s the same guy that cut a life raft off of his boat because they couldn’t (or he didn’t want to) spare the resources. You know he’s gonna hoard those grenades.

Hopefully it won’t be used for a blaze of glory suicide attack or something.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

Strand’s the same guy that cut a life raft off of his boat because they couldn’t (or he didn’t want to) spare the resources. You know he’s gonna hoard those grenades.

Hopefully it won’t be used for a blaze of glory suicide attack or something.

dorie's blaze of glory suicide attack, maybe, while strand looks on

"it's the only way we can save naomi, john"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
when they bust through the gates you can see el salvidad in the distance wearing an assortment of baseball equipment to ward off the walkers

full catcher's gear, goggles made from plastic beer cups, a polymer seat as a shield

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This past half season has been extremely stupid. And none of the motivations flow with the actual story, they only work in with the flashbacks in reference.

What happened to the indian man? Did he die last season?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 11, 2018

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Nah he and Crazy Dog were last seen saving Nick with a sniper shot before heading off into the desert.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Tenzarin posted:

This past half season has been extremely stupid. And none of the motivations flow with the actual story, they only work in with the flashbacks in reference.

What happened to the indian man? Did he die last season?

That last ep was mediocre at best but before that this has been a very good season, sorry that you're wrong, friendo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope you enjoy the part where the machine gun car gets destroyed and they find Madison in the stadium.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Alot of things missing with this flash back, was the recording before the stadium or after the stadium? I hope dori is doing ok bleeding out while they watch a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
This was the Gimplest episode yet, including but not limited to over use of slowmo, characters changing motivations entirely due to a single sentence, zombies stopping their attack while characters watch some vids, anemic fighting scenes, poor choices in approaching danger, and a return to the mistaken idea that the Mad Crew were protagonists. Like can you use the term Heel Turn when it's a bad person suddenly turning good for no reason? Cause Madison just turned good out of the blue after having remorselessly killed the Otto family.

I am so disappointed that the promise and improvements of season 3 were rolled back and seemingly erased.

• Locked thread