Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ecryptfs is nice, but a bit fiddly to start with if you do everything manually. pretty smooth sailing after the initial setup though.

in other news: woop linux 4.17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

quote:

full in-kernel TLS protocol support
:thunk:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

el dorito posted:

having it in the kernel makes it much, much, much easier to plan and implement a true hardware accelerated implementation.

you can even go so far as to implement a network controller that can dma the buffers in memory, encrypt and marshal them, assemble them into packets, and dump them out - a zero copy tls implementation.

I imagine that it might require a custom kernel (and hardware and...) but at least the userspace components (which would be a closed source blob) are in place.

quoting myself

also, imagine using sendfile as a true zero copy implementation, it would be sweet

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

el dorito posted:

two things about ecryptfs to know

you should backup your data OR backup your ecryptfs metadata, because if that’s toast, then you’re toast

long and weird filenames do not work in ecryptfs. I have been bit by that a few times in my life but that was because of coworkers who wanted to turn the entire sentence of a document into the document’s filename and then svn complained when I tried to update

good to know, thanks

i do btrfs snapshot synchronization from my laptop to a home server, with snapshots taken during the initrd startup procedure, and i do not need those backups to be encrypted too but i am okay with that, just want to make sure i can read those backups if necessary

have not taken the plunge in encrypting my whole home directory, will want to test a lot of disaster recovery before doing that, for now im happy with .thunderbird, .config/Signal, and .ssh being encrypted

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

sendfile()/splice()/etc. down TLS sockets

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im litereally running linux on a goddamn desktop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

el dorito posted:

ubuntu is, for whatever reason, removing ecryptfs from the default install

but I think enough people like it that it will never be impossible to keep using it... it just adds some inertia for new users for ecryptfs

what is the point of ecryptfs vs just encrypting the entire disk

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I do both. I like having multiple levels of encryption.

I agree that having just ecryptfs is not really helpful unless you really want a relatively user friendly solution that can still ensure security between users (to an extent, since if the user session does not log out, then the data is still viewable)

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 5, 2018

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this guy needs a suspicious amount of encryption

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
just use fde

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

just use freenet

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

my bitter bi rival posted:

im litereally running linux on a goddamn desktop

hosed up if true

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

this guy needs a suspicious amount of encryption

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

normal operating systems made by professionals do full disk and per-file encryption simultaneously

they even do cool things like use asymmetric encryption for files created when the computer is locked and then transparently convert them to symmetric encryption the next time the user unlocks it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

normal operating systems made by professionals do full disk and per-file encryption simultaneously

they even do cool things like use asymmetric encryption for files created when the computer is locked and then transparently convert them to symmetric encryption the next time the user unlocks it

nope

the normal operating system used by professionals is linux, and that is not a necessary condition of either known use cases nor posix apis

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what is the point of ecryptfs vs just encrypting the entire disk

fde is overkill if you only care about encrypting a folder or two

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
enjoy having unencrypted bits and pieces of poo poo you’d prefer to be encrypted scattered around

and impossible to zero out/scramble thanks to SSD wear leveling

you can never let bits touch the substrate if you want them to remain secure

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

enjoy having unencrypted bits and pieces of poo poo you’d prefer to be encrypted scattered around

bullshit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nope

the normal operating system used by professionals is linux, and that is not a necessary condition of either known use cases nor posix apis

lol. no professional anywhere uses Linux no matter how many penguins you photoshop onto company logos

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
microsoft azure networking is not professional then

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/blog/sonic-the-networking-switch-software-that-powers-the-microsoft-global-cloud/

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

eschaton posted:

the ssd problem will eventually go away with microsoft denali, assuming it will get to consumers
basically the ssd is just raw nand and software/off drive fpga handles all the wear leveling

https://www.servethehome.com/microsoft-project-denali-game-changer-flash-storage-at-scale/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

gotta go fast

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also nobody uses Linux on a desktop. for network devices its probably fine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

also nobody uses Linux on a desktop. for network devices its probably fine

nerds do

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Shaggar posted:

lol. no professional anywhere uses Linux no matter how many penguins you photoshop onto company logos

ah yes, that normal thing used by professionals and not something that most professionals don't know exists jammed into a rack in a dark warehouse

most professionals are using lovely custom apps on windows when they're not using quickbooks, excel, and outlook also on windows

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
more like un-professionals

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nope

you were making great strides in refreshing your gimmick by adding the shoe fetish and then you had to go and backslide into your boring old tropes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pseudorandom name posted:

you were making great strides in refreshing your gimmick by adding the shoe fetish and then you had to go and backslide into your boring old tropes

lmao

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

nope, unless you can bypass the controller and talk directly to the NAND, you can’t be sure that anything “erased” or “overwritten” really has been

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Perplx posted:

the ssd problem will eventually go away with microsoft denali, assuming it will get to consumers
basically the ssd is just raw nand and software/off drive fpga handles all the wear leveling

https://www.servethehome.com/microsoft-project-denali-game-changer-flash-storage-at-scale/

lol. wake me up when that’s even a thing in large cloud deployments, and then expect it to take forever to trickle down to smaller systems, if it ever does

there’s a bunch of really difficult problems which those presentation slides are not even acknowledging the existence of. software dudes might wish it were true that you can turn flash chips into a fully fungible commodity, but there are lots of problems currently being solved by having the ftl be deeply aware of device-specific behaviors. the hand waving there doesn’t fill me with confidence that these guys have done anything beyond consuming some research budget to build a useless proof of concept that will fizzle if they attempt to make a real product out of it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eschaton posted:

nope, unless you can bypass the controller and talk directly to the NAND, you can’t be sure that anything “erased” or “overwritten” really has been

so? you don't decrypt poo poo on the disk itself, and even if you did this is comparable to "nothing really gets deleted on spinning harddrives, just pull out your electron microscope and have a peek"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

With SSD's you use the built in encryption which encrypts every block. Then when you need to do secure erase all you do is delete the key.

And you pray that the implementation doesn't suck.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

it’s me. I’m the hardware Caesar cipher with a one byte key.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tankakern posted:

so? you don't decrypt poo poo on the disk itself, and even if you did this is comparable to "nothing really gets deleted on spinning harddrives, just pull out your electron microscope and have a peek"

lol what

it is many, many orders of magnitude easier to do this on a ssd. you have two paths, brute force (desolder the flash parts and put them into reader fixtures) or clever (load hacked firmware that lets you read raw instead of going through the FTL)

there's going to be some details involved but nothing as exotic and unreliable as loving around with an electron microscope, hoping you can find something in the fringes of overwritten sectors. anything you thought was erased or overwritten that the FTL hasn't yet actually recycled yet is right there, ripe for the picking

like how do you even make that comparison, mind blown

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BobHoward posted:

lol what

it is many, many orders of magnitude easier to do this on a ssd. you have two paths, brute force (desolder the flash parts and put them into reader fixtures) or clever (load hacked firmware that lets you read raw instead of going through the FTL)

there's going to be some details involved but nothing as exotic and unreliable as loving around with an electron microscope, hoping you can find something in the fringes of overwritten sectors. anything you thought was erased or overwritten that the FTL hasn't yet actually recycled yet is right there, ripe for the picking

like how do you even make that comparison, mind blown

it's not as easy as you make it sound, hence the comparison/hyperbole

and it's still a moot point, because you don't store decrypted content on disk anyway

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Is there a good YouTube series or finger family episode about reading comprehension

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

geonetix posted:

it’s me. I’m the hardware Caesar cipher with a one byte key.

all modern disks use aes iirc

might as well since there's lots of ready to use silicon ip for it, and it's active whether you explicitly enable encryption or not because ciphertext has an even distribution of 1s and 0s, which is good for wear levelling.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://lwn.net/Articles/756964/

nsa back on their bullshit lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sapozhnik posted:

https://lwn.net/Articles/756964/

nsa back on their bullshit lol

that's a dismantling 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
that’s hilarious. Jesus Christ guys if you’re a spy agency shouldn’t you be good at convincing people to do stuff that’s not I. their best interests rather than just badly trying to bully them