Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My local public library just added free Kanopy streaming, which appears to have a whole lot (all?) of Criterion's catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Toebone posted:

My local public library just added free Kanopy streaming, which appears to have a whole lot (all?) of Criterion's catalog.

It's also got Frederick Wiseman's filmography, which in a perfect world would have a humongous Criterion set.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

codyclarke posted:

It's also got Frederick Wiseman's filmography, which in a perfect world would have a humongous Criterion set.

Not familiar with this guy, whatd he do?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Not familiar with this guy, whatd he do?
Fly on the wall documentaries of institutions and the people in them (primarily the people). Some are reasonable length, most are super long. Very interesting insights for the most part and worth watching. Start at Titicut Follies and then keep going.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Egbert Souse posted:

August releases:

The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez
Smithereens
Memories of Underdevelopment
Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait (Blu-ray)
The Tree of Life

A lotta people gonna disagree with me but The Tree of Life is easily the least exciting release this month.

I haven't seen Gregorio Cortez but director Robert Young's Alambrista is one of the overall best and almost universally underseen films in the collection, and the Blu Ray of it is gorgeous.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Watched The Hidden Fortress last night, Mifune's character is such a chad.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

:toot:

The Magnificent Ambersons

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh gently caress yes.

Literally the only good film set in my hometown.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
You think this means they have more footage?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cloks posted:

We'd have probably heard something before now if they did, especially with Welles being relatively hot in the news right now with Other Side of the Wind.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Doubtful, but it would be neat if they did some sort of reconstruction with stills and voice actors.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm surprised Ambersons wasn't part of the collection already.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It was on Criterion laserdisc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm surprised Ambersons wasn't part of the collection already.

Criterion only started licensing from Warner Bros. (who owns the RKO library via Turner) a few years ago.

Also, the RKO library tends to need more work because the film elements generally suck. A lot of the major restorations had to use film elements from the UK or Europe like Citizen Kane and King Kong since the US sources weren't in as good of shape. Though, I read somewhere the original negative to Ambersons still exists.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just finished The Housemaid.

What in the gently caress was that epilogue? :psyduck:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's great, isn't it?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah. Most of the rest of the film works as a kind of straightforward Hitchcockian thriller, but that epilogue caught me off-guard in a way that a film hasn’t in a while.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If you'd like to see more by Kim Ki-young, I definitely recommend Killer Butterfly, one of his later works, which you can watch for free on YouTube. It deals with similar themes as The Housemaid and leans a lot more heavily on the absurd and surrealist elements that are hinted at in his earlier work.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They updated the artwork for The Tree of Life

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you'd like to see more by Kim Ki-young, I definitely recommend Killer Butterfly, one of his later works, which you can watch for free on YouTube. It deals with similar themes as The Housemaid and leans a lot more heavily on the absurd and surrealist elements that are hinted at in his earlier work.
Cool, I'll give that a look at some point.

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks much better.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

nice easy listening album art

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

Whew

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Parallax posted:

fits well with the movie's climax

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

My thoughts exactly. I guess Criterion was listening.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Parallax posted:

Pure Moods

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raxivace posted:

Yeah. Most of the rest of the film works as a kind of straightforward Hitchcockian thriller, but that epilogue caught me off-guard in a way that a film hasn’t in a while.

Isn't the framing device set up at the beginning, it's just easy to forget about it during the main event? I dunno it's been a couple of years now

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DeimosRising posted:

Isn't the framing device set up at the beginning, it's just easy to forget about it during the main event? I dunno it's been a couple of years now
It is set up at the beginning (And yeah I'll admit to forgetting about it), but the tone at the epilogue already feels pretty different from the prologue's IMO (It gets weirdly kind of comedic) before the husband breaks the fourth wall and starts talking directly to the audience.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1003709510274428928

Days of Being Wild

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Holy loving poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I blind bought A Touch of Zen and that turned out to be an extremely good decision. A stunningly beautiful film that totally justifies it's length. I'll definitely be picking up Dragon Inn when the next sale comes around.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is the B&N sale supposed to be happening this month? I’ve got a 20% off coupon I’m hoping to stack.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
July

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I blind bought A Touch of Zen and that turned out to be an extremely good decision. A stunningly beautiful film that totally justifies it's length. I'll definitely be picking up Dragon Inn when the next sale comes around.

Dragon Inn is definitely one of the top action movies of all time.

And I would recommend watching more King Hu his lesser known films are still amazing. Kino just put out the new restoration of Legend of the Mountain and it’s got some of the best King Hu nature photography and is easily the best movie I’ve seen so far this year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Andrei Rublev finally went OOP on DVD, so a Blu upgrade is probably coming soon. It's touring from Janus Films right now.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Egbert Souse posted:

Andrei Rublev finally went OOP on DVD, so a Blu upgrade is probably coming soon. It's touring from Janus Films right now.

So what you're saying is I own a collectable OOP Criterion (until the blu comes out and then I'll have to upgrade because the Andrei Rublev DVD is dated as hell)? Nice.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Andrei Rubelev disc has the worst technically implemented commentary I've ever seen. Scene specific with large pauses during some of it so you're never sure if it's over and you can't watch just the commented scenes in a row.

It's a fantastic movie and I'm really looking forward to the Blu.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The single best film about the artist's struggle. Can't wait for the blu.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Beautiful movie. That bell-forging sequence is something else. Been waiting for the blu for a while now. I think the filmstruck transfer is the new remaster. Looks good.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

So this would leave The Mirror as the only Tarkovsky feature without a US blu-ray right? I still need to pick up the new Kino release of The Sacrifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For some reason, my Google news feed will give me posts from the Criterion Reddit page. I don't even browse Reddit. This got posted today:

Cool!

Then I wondered how true the stereotype of redditors complaining about reverse racism was and scrolled down...