Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

present mic is hiding a voldemort head in his giant hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Stexils posted:

blub. and i would have gotten away with it too, if it wasnt for you meddling kids and your mangy dog

His NAME is Kenji Tsuragamae!!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I'm betting on the "traitor" being a sleeper agent that was brainwashed by AfO and doesn't realize they're leaking info to the League.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Watch as it turns out someone was posting everything to their facebook page.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
It honestly would not surprise me if the quirk copier in Class 1B is like, AfO's grandson. Seems like a scheme he'd cook up for laughs.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

GodFish posted:

It'd be nice if the anime thread wasn't mostly manga readers pretending to not have read the manga and speculating on things.

Yeah I've almost made a couple posts about stuff then just decided not to because I felt it could read as coy "speculation" so I just comment about cool stuff in an episode

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Raposa posted:

It honestly would not surprise me if the quirk copier in Class 1B is like, AfO's grandson. Seems like a scheme he'd cook up for laughs.

afo is suppose to be like 300 years old or some poo poo

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Presumably, his not-aging quirk also works on his junk.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i doubt he has any kids. when faced with the possibility that he would not in fact live forever, he built an heir instead of fathering one.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of a4o, why didn't he ever just steal a quirk like aizawa's

wouldn't that instantly win him the fight against all might

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Much like teleportation, something like outright stopping quirks is probably rare.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i doubt he has any kids. when faced with the possibility that he would not in fact live forever, he built an heir instead of fathering one.

Afo learned the hard lesson of Roman Imperium: never let the succession of power be determined by blood.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure if aizawa could shut down a sentient quirk that is full of ghosts. certainly if afo thought aizawa was a threat he would have murdered him long ago.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

AfO deserved to lose because he beat OfA wielders in combat like 5 times and never managed to finish them off. dude has no sense of follow through.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm pretty sure Aizawa just turns off 'activated quirks' full stop. AfO probably couldn't steal quirks if Aizawa was shutting him off or do any of his other activated abilities, but any permanent enforcement quirks would still be on.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If AfO has a few quirks that let him live for hundreds of years, I wonder if Aizawa erasing his quirks would just outright kill him? Especially now that he's in such poor health.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
The way it's been explained is that activated quirks are like flexing a muscle.

So, imaging clenching your buttcheeks. Sure, you could clench your buttcheeks for like 18 hours a day, sleep 6 hours a day, and increase your lifespan by a lot.

But man that's improbable. Like, try clenching your buttcheeks for a long time. While sitting there doing nothing, sure. But while talking on the phone? Reading? Walking? You don't even realize it and your rear end is all jiggly again.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhonne posted:

I'm betting on the "traitor" being a sleeper agent that was brainwashed by AfO and doesn't realize they're leaking info to the League.

It's probably Deku and All Might because it'll turn out that AfO is connected to them through OfA's origin.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's probably Deku and All Might because it'll turn out that AfO is connected to them through OfA's origin.

the ole harry potter

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Manatee Cannon posted:

speaking of a4o, why didn't he ever just steal a quirk like aizawa's

wouldn't that instantly win him the fight against all might

Probably because Aizawa would just, you know, turn his quirk off. He kinda needs that to steal quirks. Presumably, anyone with a similar quirk would do the same.

Stexils posted:

AfO deserved to lose because he beat OfA wielders in combat like 5 times and never managed to finish them off. dude has no sense of follow through.

Most of them probably did what Nana did and attacked him after passing OfA on, specifically so it wouldn't die with them if they failed.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 5, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Monoma tried to copy A4O's quirk, would he get all of his quirks, or just the ability to steal quirks?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rhonne posted:

If Monoma tried to copy A4O's quirk, would he get all of his quirks, or just the ability to steal quirks?

my bet is he melts

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Like, slowly, or a la The Last Crusade?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Slime posted:

Watch as it turns out someone was posting everything to their facebook page.

Sorry, Mina fans.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

i'm not sure if aizawa could shut down a sentient quirk that is full of ghosts.

We know that he can, because he has. He' did it to Deku already during their physical tests at the start of the school year.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

It might have just been because of the simple fact that if quirks get more powerful through having kids, then him fathering a kid could have produced a horrifically powerful monster that he had no guarantee he could control, or even take the quirk of in a worst case scenario. Finding someone he could manipulate and control would be much easier and less dangerous to him on a personal level.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that was literally the first use of his power we saw. Which is a pretty good way to sell how good his quirk is, on a tangent, having it just shut down the power of the greatest hero there is, even if it's now in someone else's hands. It wasn't until USJ that we learned there were things it couldn't shut down.

On a tangent, USJ also had him canceling Shigaraki's power mid-disintegration, which is kind of weird if you think about it. It implies that, while Shigaraki just needs a touch to activate his power and not prolonged contact, something in him powers the destruction even after contact is broken, even though he can't turn it off himself. That, or Horikoshi didn't have everything worked out at that time.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 5, 2018

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

On a tangent, USJ also had him canceling Shigaraki's power mid-disintegration, which is kind of weird if you think about it. It implies that, while Shigaraki just needs a touch to activate his power and not prolonged contact, something in him powers the destruction even after contact is broken, even though he can't turn it off himself. That, or Horikoshi didn't have everything worked out at that time.

I'm sure that if pressed Horikoshi can say that Shigaraki's disintegration is powered by microorganisms that die if his quirk is deactivated.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, yeah, you can justify it. Not saying it has to be a mistake or anything. It's just weird when you start to think about it, now that we know more about how the quirks involved work, and it implies things about the particulars of Shiggy's power. Things that may or may not be relevant or even get explained ever, but still.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shiggy's power has always continuously worked after touch. It's also how it killed overhaul's throwaway shield goon- he touched him then the guy continued to disintegrate afterwards.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
what happens if shiggy and chiggy shake hands trying to kill each other

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They die but then Chiggy touches himself with his other hand and he comes back to life

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

i'm not sure if aizawa could shut down a sentient quirk that is full of ghosts. certainly if afo thought aizawa was a threat he would have murdered him long ago.

he already has before tho

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rhonne posted:

If AfO has a few quirks that let him live for hundreds of years, I wonder if Aizawa erasing his quirks would just outright kill him? Especially now that he's in such poor health.

I think, based on the way they explained Aizawa's quirk, it wouldn't. Or at least he couldn't keep it up long enough to do so. Think of it like turning off someone's ventilator who can't breath on their own. If you can only keep the ventilator off for like 30 seconds, it's not enough to kill them immediately since they'll start breathing soon enough to recover and prevent any damage from being done.

Plus there's the possibility that AFO having so many quirks might "overload" Erasure. We don't know what it's maximum effectiveness is, but there may be a limit to how many quirks can be effected at once.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Shiggy's power has always continuously worked after touch. It's also how it killed overhaul's throwaway shield goon- he touched him then the guy continued to disintegrate afterwards.

No, that's my point. It works after touch, yet Aizawa can shut it down after it's taken effect (how he saved himself after Shiggy grabbed his elbow, thus taking relatively little damage there instead of, you know, dying). That means that the disintegration is somehow still "connected" to Shiggy even after physical contact ceases, as otherwise Aizawa shutting him down wouldn't have worked.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Uraraka can touch something to make it float, but she doesn't have to keep touching it. If Aizawa nullifies her power while something's floating, it falls down whether she's touching it or not. Shiggy's power works the same way.

IOW: Forget it, Jake. It's comic book physics.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kild posted:

the ole harry potter

Given all the nods to Star Wars, I'm waiting for the "Execute Order 66" scenario that awakens a dozen sleeper agents in the hero community

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vinylshadow posted:

Given all the nods to Star Wars, I'm waiting for the "Execute Order 66" scenario that awakens a dozen sleeper agents in the hero community
Considering we already have confirmation that he likes/references the prequels, too? That's actually a very decent bet.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think there's a good chance Nezu is the spy. He's the only animal that's shown up that I can think of that has a quirk. He also has that crazy, sadistic streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think there's a good chance Nezu is the spy. He's the only animal that's shown up that I can think of that has a quirk. He also has that crazy, sadistic streak.

Turns out he's actually just a mole.