Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Did yours give off some kinda smell since mine did and we ended up being unable to use it. Like it wasn't rotten eggs but it was a more ozone..ish smell or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I love the smell of ozone in the morning.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

havenwaters posted:

Did yours give off some kinda smell since mine did and we ended up being unable to use it. Like it wasn't rotten eggs but it was a more ozone..ish smell or whatever

Yeah it smelled like poo poo but that went away after a week.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

havenwaters posted:

That's normal for those. Goes away after a few days/a week.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

That's normal for those. Goes away after a few days/a week.

Its normal up to a point. If you look at reviews some units smelled like death. Mine didn't nor did the other 5 i've purchased in the last year.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

I own the same model & I can confirm that it works well.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

redeyes posted:

Its normal up to a point. If you look at reviews some units smelled like death. Mine didn't nor did the other 5 i've purchased in the last year.

Mine didn't seem too terrible but everyone else was like "get rid of it now it will make us sick and my allergies are already getting messed up by it" or something so not much for me to do but get rid of it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

havenwaters posted:

Mine didn't seem too terrible but everyone else was like "get rid of it now it will make us sick and my allergies are already getting messed up by it" or something so not much for me to do but get rid of it.

Its been awhile but I think I opened the box and stuck in my garage and let it charge for 3-4 days. After that I don't remember smelling or caring about it anymore.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Anecdotal case: I have five of those in my house, about 15 out in the field, and I’ve never come across weird smells.

Four went to a medical office with no reports of smells.

Regardless, even if they reeked for a week I’d still buy them. They’ve worked with the fanciest platinum Seasonics for about three years now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tapedump posted:

Anecdotal case: I have five of those in my house, about 15 out in the field, and I’ve never come across weird smells.

Four went to a medical office with no reports of smells.

Regardless, even if they reeked for a week I’d still buy them. They’ve worked with the fanciest platinum Seasonics for about three years now.

This is funny because the gently caress up on my own computer/RX480 was in fact with a Seasonic PSU. I did replace the PSU with an EVGA unit and that helped but not %100. WTF is it with Seasonic PSUs and PWM simulated sine wave UPSes?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Thanks. Honestly I was expecting you to link one of the pro server $2k+ fuckers. I will consider this if the APC I bought doesn't work out, they have a version with the VA/wattage I need (assuming it's a real sine wave like the more expensive ones).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
^^^ I have the European version of that one. Seems nice. The big caps in it are rather bad ones, according to a TomH's tear-down, but they're not going to be a lot in use typically. So YMMV. Plenty of people are satisfied with the cheap Cyberpower ones.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

They're usually stepped at several points in the wave and are plenty fine for most applications.
Nope. Most still do "stepped sinewaves" that are just a square wave with an idle section.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I updated to spring creators update but had to roll it back due to some issues with a few programs, this was weeks again and I'd like to try it out again - but when I use windows update it doesn't show up again.

Any special reason for this? Is there a workaround?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AEMINAL posted:

I updated to spring creators update but had to roll it back due to some issues with a few programs, this was weeks again and I'd like to try it out again - but when I use windows update it doesn't show up again.

Any special reason for this? Is there a workaround?

Yeah the reason is you rolled it back. The update mech is smart enough to assume you really dont want it after that point.

Just run this and let it update the OS.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

redeyes posted:

Yeah the reason is you rolled it back. The update mech is smart enough to assume you really dont want it after that point.

Just run this and let it update the OS.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thank you goon sir

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nope. Most still do "stepped sinewaves" that are just a square wave with an idle section.

https://www.hardwareinsights.com/database-of-ups-output-waveforms/

At least half of these are spitting out pretty good sin wave approximations. Go pick your poison.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nice. Should have figured there had to be someone with enough aspergers to scope out all sort of devices.

--edit: Those with sine wave on that link are usually in the higher price range. The cheap ones, those that don't do sine wave, have the typical squarewave shape. So I'm not sure what we're arguing about exactly.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 2, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Not really trying to argue. Plenty of the ones with good sine wave output can be had second hand for cheap and AGM lead acid batteries don't cost much either.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

So another dumbass update dropped and now I can't type in Japanese anymore. When I switch with shift-alt it goes to Japanese IME but it stays in romaji mode with no apparent way to change to kana input.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Not really trying to argue. Plenty of the ones with good sine wave output can be had second hand for cheap and AGM lead acid batteries don't cost much either.

It might be worth finding a few go-to used/ebay cheapish sinewave models. Getting new batteries is pretty trivial.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Shibawanko posted:

So another dumbass update dropped and now I can't type in Japanese anymore. When I switch with shift-alt it goes to Japanese IME but it stays in romaji mode with no apparent way to change to kana input.

I just tried it (1803, just installed the keyboard) and clicking on the A / right-clicking and choosing hiragana or katakana works? Sticks after cycling to other keyboards too

Unless you mean using an actual kana keyboard, right-clicking and choosing Input Method seems to work for me. (I can't tell because I just have a QWERTY one, but Q W E R gives me たていす so I assume that's where they are)

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seems like lots of people have international keyboard layout/input method problems with the creators updates, but it's not a consistent situation where the same update breaks it for everyone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I'm trying to banish the dreaded en-US keyboard that's been floating around this whole time

But that Japanese keyboard (if it's working) should have those options in the right-click menu, going off a fresh install of it. I'm just pointing out what the current behaviour is, so that goon can tell if they've changed how it works or if it's Just hosed

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

At last, I know the feeling of Microsoft loving me out of the blue for no reason: they're killing Groove on Android and iOS without any god drat warning, giving me no way of streaming my music off of OneDrive come December. Thanks Microsoft.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

At last, I know the feeling of Microsoft loving me out of the blue for no reason: they're killing Groove on Android and iOS without any god drat warning, giving me no way of streaming my music off of OneDrive come December. Thanks Microsoft.

Use CloudBeats on iOS or CloudPlayer on Android.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Weedle posted:

Use CloudBeats on iOS or CloudPlayer on Android.

Thanks goon, Google also let you add 100k songs of your own for free on Play Music, so that's also an option.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Thanks goon, Google also let you add 100k songs of your own for free on Play Music, so that's also an option.

Google Play Music is loving awesome!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

And it's getting shut down later this year! :hfive:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Huh, glad I never started using it.

I think this is why I still just buy CD's, there's a place near me that has tons, storage on phones is so huge now that I can just chuck whatever I want on there. Don't have to worry about changing service.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

baka kaba posted:

Motherfucker. I read it will stay the same, just under a new name. But who the gently caress knows with how schizophrenic google can be when it comes to rebranding and shutting poo poo down. I hope my 40k library doesn't go away. :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Google Play Music is being shut down but its cloud library features will be integrated into YouTube Music before that happens.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm pretty confused about the Google Play Music thing. Is YouTube Music now just going to be a normal music streaming service, is it just going to play YouTube videos as music like its previous incarnation, or is it going to be both?

I'm subscribed to Play Music right now but I'm worried they're going to screw it up somehow.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I haven't really been following it, but I did see someone using a build of it - it basically looks exactly like Play Music, but with Youtubey features like recommended videos alongside the usual playlists and albums. The version they were using was tied into Youtube too - like following a band would subscribe to them on youtube, that kind of thing. So I think they're trying to make a version of Play Music that's like the music side of a general streaming service called Youtube

I wouldn't bet on them carrying over your personal library if they haven't already promised to do so, especially if you're not a subscriber

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

I'm pretty confused about the Google Play Music thing. Is YouTube Music now just going to be a normal music streaming service, is it just going to play YouTube videos as music like its previous incarnation, or is it going to be both?

It’s both.

baka kaba posted:

I wouldn't bet on them carrying over your personal library if they haven't already promised to do so, especially if you're not a subscriber

They have promised to do so.

https://twitter.com/tjayfowler/status/997180474576453632

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Upgraded an old laptop to Win10. Worked fine, except for the part where Cortana asks if I want to set a PIN and didn't let me say no. If I say yes and hit cancel, Cortana asks if I'm sure I don't want a PIN... and then my only option is to set a PIN. Thanks, Cortana.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

baka kaba posted:

Well poo poo. I'm an old coot and buy all my music in file form, either MP3s from Google or FLACs from Bandcamp. I take it they won't be selling MP3s anymore? I really don't want to go back to iTunes since they hosed me over on a deluxe album I bought a few years back.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Well poo poo. I'm an old coot and buy all my music in file form, either MP3s from Google or FLACs from Bandcamp. I take it they won't be selling MP3s anymore? I really don't want to go back to iTunes since they hosed me over on a deluxe album I bought a few years back.

https://twitter.com/tjayfowler/status/999857245864189952

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Ofecks posted:

Same. I have been using Amazon Music since it's often cheaper to buy the CD or even vinyl and get the AutoRip MP3s but I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm going to be better off just using my plex server for music as well as movies/TV.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

loving thank God Google doesn't immediately Suck. Guessing they will gently caress me over in the distant ish future but hey I'll give them a shot.

Thanx 4 de info, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does anyone know anything of the arcane magic powering the swipe text on the touch keyboard and whether there is any way to get it to actually work consistently, because right now it is totally random whether it lets me swipe words or just selects a single letter.