Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I love funny memes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arivia posted:

I read Ringworld recently for a book club and we all agreed it was actually that bad. You made the right choice.

The original, or the sequel where Niven put in a paedophile scene?

And orgy scenes with waaay too many details. Though that was just poo poo icing on the poo poo cake after the main character fucks a child and the book treats it as normal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/khanoisseur/status/1003112479205949441?s=21

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Save hundreds of dollars a month by not drinking? How much does he think the average person drinks?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Save hundreds of dollars a month by not drinking? How much does he think the average person drinks?

Well defending on where you live if you go clubbing on the weekends that can certainly add up to hundreds. This guy is just a nerd though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Two drinks every night at a bar apparently. It's an amazing glimpse into what it's like to choose to live frugally vs. having to do so out of necessity.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I... do not think #4 is ultimately going to save you money, once you factor in the rent, bro...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

I... do not think #4 is ultimately going to save you money, once you factor in the rent, bro...

It's fine if you can find a job outside of the parts of a city where 90% of the jobs are

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Puppy Time posted:

Just for laughs, I looked up the rent on apartments near the skyscraper I work in. Somehow I don't think moving to a place that's six times more expensive would save me much money, even if it means I don't have to spend that thirty bucks a week to gas up the car.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Tweeted from San Francisco :laffo:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Petit Gregory posted:

Tweeted from San Francisco :laffo:

Protips for affording your first studio in the city with a 100k job.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://twitter.com/david_rees/status/787109288690999300
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/787122970154115072

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I could have gotten an apartment that was a literal minute from work recently. But I quickly realized I had absolutely no desire to look out the window and see my job.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people should live frugally says man with a gofundme for his podcast

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Never have fun, only live to work.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sean Hannity's claims to train "MMA" will never not be funny. He looks like a melting candle.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Save money by living in the bushes of a public park and eating from the garbage can. It’s minimalism!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Powered Descent posted:

Just for laughs, I looked up the rent on apartments near the skyscraper I work in. Somehow I don't think moving to a place that's six times more expensive would save me much money, even if it means I don't have to spend that thirty bucks a week to gas up the car.

But what about when you can forget about car insurance and upkeep? I mean if you live within walking distance of work you don't need to go anywhere else.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

If everyone started living like this guy is proposing today, the economy would collapse by friday. :laugh:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

If everyone started living like this guy is proposing today, the economy would collapse by friday. :laugh:

No, we'd just be Japan in that our massive consumer savings would plunge interest rates and we'd be stuck in a decades long slump.

Also the lack of drinking and fun would screw up our fertility rates.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Truga posted:

In retrospect I'm all for his plan, tear down the system.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's basically how I live, except I bike or bus to work, and my hobbies are biking and games, both fairly cheap. Also I work in an eastern european <300k town, not a multimillion metropolis.

Still, if everyone that can afford to buy anything beyond the basics started actually practising frugality like that, the global financial markets would get turbo hosed.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also the lack of drinking and fun would screw up our fertility rates.

Seeing how we're handling climate change currently, I'm only seeing positives here :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Truga posted:

Seeing how we're handling ____________ currently, I'm only seeing positives here :v:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

hanales posted:

I love funny memes!

And I'm about to break! :emo:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Someone I went to school with has been quiet on the xenophobia front for a while but here's a new one

quote:

A MESSAGE TO THE UK GOVT
I bought a bird feeder. And I hung it on my back porch and filled it with seed. What a beauty of a bird feeder it was, as I filled it lovingly with seed. Within a week I had hundreds of bird taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food. But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the barbecue. Then came the poo poo. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table, everywhere!
Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb me and try to peck me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket. And others birds boisterous and loud. sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed at all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill it when it got low on food. After a while, I couldn't even sit on my own back porch anymore. So I took down the bird feeder and in three days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess and took down the many nests they had built all over the patio. Soon, the back yard was like it used to be, quiet and serene and no one demanding their rights to a free meal.
Now let's see. The UK gives out free food, subsidized housing, free medical care and free education, Then the illegals came by the tens of thousands. Suddenly your taxes went up to pay for free services; Small flats were now housing 5 families;
You have to wait approx 6 hours to be seen by an emergency room doctor; Your child's primary grade class is behind other schools because over half the class does not speak your language. Squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties. Just my opinion, but maybe it's time for your government to take down the bird feeder.
If you agree, pass it on; if not, just continue cleaning up the poo poo!

Overcrowding breeds criminality.. fact

Immigrants: literally animals. Great.
I grew up in the place he still lives. 98.4% of the population were born in the British Isles.

It's also clearly a copy paste from an American with a few words changed but not all of them "primary grade class" and "emergency room" stick out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Promoted tweet.

We did it, everyone

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cythereal posted:

It's a major plot point in a couple of the books. The male-dominated, patriarchal kzinti deliberately bred themselves that way - it was nothing natural and involved genetic engineering. It's never portrayed as anything but one more way the Kzinti are deeply hosed up.

See also the Bene Tleilax in Frank Herbert's Dune series. Yikes!

Why does proud American John have an IDF profile picture? :raise:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

zoux posted:

We did it, everyone

Aw, gently caress, really? She seems like such a sweet person who was really excited to be in a giant movie. gently caress off, you weird white nerds. Why can't you allow POC women to exist?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Saw this yesterday. loving hero worship of veterans is out of goddamn control

I'm Indy Nile and I served in the Navy for 20 years but JFC

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

people should live frugally says man with a gofundme for his podcast

Someone asked how much he takes home each paycheck and he refused to answer, saying only that after budgeting for the bare necessities he donates it all to charity.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Aw, gently caress, really? She seems like such a sweet person who was really excited to be in a giant movie. gently caress off, you weird white nerds. Why can't you allow POC women to exist?

tv/movie/vidjagame nerds are garbage

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

Saw this yesterday. loving hero worship of veterans is out of goddamn control

I'm Indy Nile and I served in the Navy for 20 years but JFC

People do this weirdness on my Dad's facebook every time he posts something. My Dad was in the USAF for 20+ years, and is a vet of 2 wars. He loving hated it. Did it to pay the bills and because he was "supposed" to because we're a Military Family. Every time someone does that poo poo he gets angry but he won't do anything because he knows they need him to be a hero more than he needs to say something to em about actual respect.

gently caress people who do this. gently caress em straight to a fiery afterlife.

E: :smith: I mentioned to my dad that I posted this and he sent back "I was a teacher for 21 years. My friends never congratulate me on that. I was proud to be a teacher."

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Jun 5, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thank you for your service people are the worst.

I know they mean well, but gently caress i hate that poo poo.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

Dude I went to grad school with suddenly started posting weird screeds on Facebook lately. Most of them are related to environmentalism and animal rights/cruelty but then yesterday he dropped this one

Oh I get it now he's really into libertarian philosophy all of a sudden. That explains his novel-length rant about tampons I guess.

His latest Facebook post, without comment, is a 2014 Libertarian State of the Union video by the Cato Institute about privacy and surveillance.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

fizzymercy posted:

E: :smith: I mentioned to my dad that I posted this and he sent back "I was a teacher for 21 years. My friends never congratulate me on that. I was proud to be a teacher."

Goddamn, that's a gutpunch. He should post that on Facebook, see what people say.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
teachers deserve way more respect than gun toting morons anyways

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

sneakyfrog posted:

What if... teachers were toting guns too ?

:thunk:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

don't personalize it mr digicam, i was once a gun toting moron too