Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I had a good gose just yesterday, get one without any extra fruit flavors or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I had a good gose just yesterday, get one without any extra fruit flavors or anything.

I’ve had plenty of good fruited ones. I find the citrusy or tarter fruit ones to be real nice. I also had a strange sounding one from Evil Twin/Two Roads that had Icelandic moss and sea kelp in it. Sounded weird as poo poo so I had to try it. It was loving delicious.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ I've had that one too. It's really good.

JawKnee posted:

Gonna brew a gose for the first time this weekend, psyched

I enjoy 50/50 barley/wheat and co-pitching L. plantarum and Omega's HotHead kviek strain. If I could keep it at 85F it would be near perfect. I bought a bunch of 50% off leaf hops from yakima valley hops today and I'm looking forward to doing this again and then dry-hopping the crap out of it with fruity hops.

Apparently it's time for prickly pears already. I bought a bunch at the store and am putting them in to make wine tonight.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 1, 2018

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I had a really awful watermelon gose that has turned me hard off the style. What's a good, somewhat available gose worth trying? Something that might show up at a bevmo or whatever

Anderson valley's blood orange gose, or the plain one. Has good distribution, is cheap and fairly decent. The sour watermelon one is weird.

A lot of smaller breweries make it salty as gently caress and it's gross. Anderson valley's is still drinkable. The evil twin kelp/moss one was fantastic but limited run and more money.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's too salty to be "authentic", but Westbrook Gose is by far the most available, and in my opinion, best plain example of a modern gose. Like, if someone's touting a new style defined by being sour, salty and spiced with coriander I want to taste all of those things. Having a hint of them just does not cut it in the current market. I've had Döllnitzer Ritterguts and Leipziger Gose, and while I guess, more close to the historical style, they're just so boring compared to Westbrook.

Anderson Valley's is nice, but it does taste like gose mixed with Fanta.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 1, 2018

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Boon Oude gose is pretty solid. It’s no frills sour beer goodness.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Boon Oude gose is pretty solid. It’s no frills sour beer goodness.

Gose != Gueuze

Both sour but very different beers.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Der Penguingott posted:

The evil twin kelp/moss one was fantastic but limited run and more money.

Yeah, I’ve only had it twice and both times it was at the Two Roads tap room in the Hartford airport. It was actually one of the cheaper beers there and is a 16oz can, so it was one of the best beers for your buck. I was also looking for something more sessionable when I first tried it and pretty much everything on tap was 6%+ so that was half my reasoning.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Flea Bargain posted:

Gose != Gueuze

Both sour but very different beers.

Well, still drink one anyway.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
The Gose I had was from Anderson Valley. Their melon is way too salty and far too sour. If I see another one of theirs, I'll check it out, the rest have been put on the list. Thanks for the suggestions.

I finally finished listening to that podcast eviltastic was talking about for backsweetening session meads and now I wish there were as extensive resources for meadmaking as there are for beer. I was having a hard time finding what exactly is in honey besides sugar and water. I think one of the main things they were getting at was that backsweetening to add body was a no-go, as it would require so much sugar it would be strongly cloying. I think they also mentioned oversweetening, which is a huge concern in my experience. It doesn't take very much to go from "sweet wine" to "candy" and yeast particles can obscure that flavor before clarification. I wonder which parts of the honey are broken down by the yeast first and how it affects the final product. I remember learning certain sugars taste sweeter than others, and I also know that yeast will break down different nutrients/sugars in an order of priority. I'm hoping I'll find someone who's done my research for me this weekend.

My pink peppercorn mead has just been bottled, fairly dry, about 1.004, but I decided during a taste test to water the whole thing down about 10%. It came out great, lots of strong, fresh floral notes with a little bit of peppercorn spice and oil in the back. The mead is just a white wine base, but there's a little touch of honey flavor. The filtered tap water was a surprisingly good balance to the pepper flavor, with a barely perceptible mineral quality. It doesn't look like much but I'll take pictures later.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Blood Orange Anderson Valley
Westbrook, if available

I really like Otra Vez from Sierra Nevada

I think, avoid Founders' Green Zebra if watermelon turned you off, it's really a bit much.

I'm super into them and make kettle-soured Gose-like beers a lot.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
FYI, Love2Brew has the Grainfather Connect for $799 right now. I'm not sure how they're advertising it at that price right on their site, but they are. I also had a 5% coupon pop up for me so I got it for $759 shipped.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Otra Vez from Sierra Nevada isn't quite as sour as I'd like, but I think it's the cactus that keeps it from getting there. I still enjoy it quite a bit.

Others that haven't been mentioned, and I have no idea if you'll be able to acquire. I like the goses that DESTIHL Brewery have done in the past. Woodland Empire Ale Craft did a Carrot Berlinner Weisse that was really good. They did a peach Berliner too that was also pretty good. Not a gose, but if you can get anything from de Garde Brewing in Tillamook, OR, you should not drink it and instead send it immediately to me for proper disposal (I've not once been disappointed by anything they've made).

All the talk about meads reminded me to bottle the gallon that I'd put in last year. It's now in bottles and is a nice golden color. I only used K-meta for stable storage and O2 scavenging, which is super necessary based on how terribly difficult it was to actually get any into the bottles. I need a better solution for bottling small batches, maybe start pushing it with CO2 instead. Can't be that difficult, and what could possibly go wrong?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

Otra Vez from Sierra Nevada isn't quite as sour as I'd like, but I think it's the cactus that keeps it from getting there. I still enjoy it quite a bit.

Others that haven't been mentioned, and I have no idea if you'll be able to acquire. I like the goses that DESTIHL Brewery have done in the past. Woodland Empire Ale Craft did a Carrot Berlinner Weisse that was really good. They did a peach Berliner too that was also pretty good. Not a gose, but if you can get anything from de Garde Brewing in Tillamook, OR, you should not drink it and instead send it immediately to me for proper disposal (I've not once been disappointed by anything they've made).

Agreeing with this. As much as I like Otra Vez, it's not sour enough for me anymore.

And de Garde is awesome af.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
Has anyone used an induction burner for beermaking purposes? I'm looking to expand / improve my setup a bit in the near future and something like this seems like it might be a happy medium between a normal propane / gas burner and getting into something with heatsticks, especially for two or three gallon batches.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

triple clutcher posted:

Has anyone used an induction burner for beermaking purposes? I'm looking to expand / improve my setup a bit in the near future and something like this seems like it might be a happy medium between a normal propane / gas burner and getting into something with heatsticks, especially for two or three gallon batches.

I use that exact induction burner. Wrap some reflectix around the kettle and you can still boil over doing a 10 gallon batch. It's great, definitely worth it.

It needs 220v though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rockcity posted:

FYI, Love2Brew has the Grainfather Connect for $799 right now. I'm not sure how they're advertising it at that price right on their site, but they are. I also had a 5% coupon pop up for me so I got it for $759 shipped.

I've gotten a bunch of emails with a $799 Grainfather today. So it must be an approved sale or something.

Swanson's L. Plantarum was selling for $7 for 60 capsules (2 bottles) on Amazon a few hours ago too for the gose/souring crowd.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
FWIW, I’d be super interested in one of these systems but the price hasn’t been right. These are starting to come down into the range of possible and where they should have been after the robobrew and brewers edge debuted.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this became the regular price given the excitement over the sale price this week.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Friends, I come before you a simple tyro looking to learn. I wanna make mead. I watched a video on a youtube channel I like, Modern Rogue, and they made it look pretty appealing, especially since it won't come out carbonated (which is the main thing I dislike in beer and sodas). Of the last four pages, I understood some very vague terms, like 'melamel' and 'specific gravity,' but that's about it, and I'm aware that just trying to brew beer and substituting 'hops' for 'honey' is probably gonna end bad. I have a lot of local honey available. I'm not looking to make something huge, like fifteen gallons of mead for my first batch, but that seems to be what the average recipe suggests. Where do I, a simple Bogart, begin.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
To make mead.

Dissolve honey in water to your desired standard gravity.
Add yeast.
Add nutrients at specific stages... Or add some raisins instead.
Ferment at cool temps.
Bottle when it's clear and finished (or do some other things first).

It's really that simple. You can get more complex, but you're best suited reading a lot of people's recipes and processes and then deciding what you want to try.

Here's a decent place to start: https://www.homebrewing.org/How-to-Make-Mead_ep_40-1.html

You don't need to pasteurize your honey, but you certainly can. Warming it up to make it dissolve easier can be done at about 120-130F. 3# of honey to 1 gallon of water is also a good ratio to start. Quality of honey and the flowers the bees use to make it will impact your final flavors.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LaserWash posted:

FWIW, I’d be super interested in one of these systems but the price hasn’t been right. These are starting to come down into the range of possible and where they should have been after the robobrew and brewers edge debuted.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this became the regular price given the excitement over the sale price this week.

They still separate themselves enough to justify a higher price. I would not have paid full price but $760 shipped was good enough for me. Especially when I was looking at Unibrau and their kickstarter sold out of the cheap price in like 2 minutes and now they want $1200 for it. App connectivity and a chiller definitely set the Grainfather apart a bit from the Robobrew and the like. If you just want bare bones ebiab though, those things would be great. There does seem to be a super active Grainfather user group on Facebook which could be helpful too.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Are there any good ones in the US yet that take 220/240V?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Bogart posted:

Friends, I wanna make mead.

Nice! You've come to the right place. Like Jhet said, mead is easy. My favorite part of mead making is the "anything goes" policy. What are you going for? It's very easy to make mead that will come out like white wine, but there's a lot of alternatives available.

Gotmead.com is an incredible resource and community, with a nice primer on the subject. http://gotmead.com/blog/making-mead/mead-newbee-guide/the-newbee-guide-to-making-mead/
I do not recommend trying to absorb everything at once.

Some things to focus on: First, the quality of your water, being up to 95% of your product, it is the most important ingredient. Get some you want to drink. Second, learn about the fermentation process and our friends, yeast. Mead making is particularly hard on yeast for a number of reasons, which you should research and learn how to alleviate (with air and nutrients). Last, but totally paramount to success is cleanliness. Unintended infection is a big no-go so get some star-san. Cleanliness also refers to leaving behind yeast residues, powders and sludges in the final product. This means some waste, which is painful but necessary.

Bring all your stupid newbie questions here when you have them, and have fun!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

Are there any good ones in the US yet that take 220/240V?

Yeah, I was really hoping Grainfather would make those 220V ones available. I'm going to buy a bucket heater to throw in there for my strike water and getting it to boil to supplement the solo 120V heat source. Should get it down to where I'd like it to be time-wise. Unibrau used to have a 220V option but got rid of it. I think Clawhammer Supply may be 220V. They're a lot less well known, but their kit looks fairly decent. It's mostly nothing you couldn't build yourself sourcing all the parts, but for the lazy among us, it's not a terrible option.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
To the mead thing. Yes add nutrients.

Theres a more complex thing called TOSNA which uses Fermaid-O, but you can use generic yeast nutrients (dap) in 3 phases.

1/3 of the total addition (your bottle will tell you how much per gallon, just divide by 3 for each addition). 1/3 at yeast pitch, 1/3 at 24 hours and the final 1/3 when 33% of your sugar is fermented.

Also, don’t use raisins. Theres not enough nitrogen to make a difference.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Hmm... $25 for the BeerSmith upgrade. I don't know....

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My club did a comparison trial, and universally preferred meads made with Fermaid O over Fermaid K or DAP. Adventures in Homebrewing usually has it for a decent price.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LaserWash posted:

I don't know what the difference is for the upgrade, but you can occasionally find it for less than $20 if you're on a beer budget. I use BeerSmith2 for recipes and notes and like it a lot, but you certainly don't need it.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I don't know how many of you do fruit beers in here, but I'm working on some improvements to mine. I've had a couple of tart pale/sour beers lately that have a significantly "jammy" taste to them that I can't quite put my finger on, namely the Fruitsicle beers from Odd Side in Michigan and Rhinegeist's Press Tart.

Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about and how to get there?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

I don't know how many of you do fruit beers in here, but I'm working on some improvements to mine. I've had a couple of tart pale/sour beers lately that have a significantly "jammy" taste to them that I can't quite put my finger on, namely the Fruitsicle beers from Odd Side in Michigan and Rhinegeist's Press Tart.

I'd guess it was the lactose in the one from Odd Side. They also both probably use the canned blueberry puree that you can get in bulk sizes from Oregon Fruit or similar. You have to use a lot of blueberry compared to something like raspberries and cherries, so that may also have something to do with it. Could also be all the wheat in the Press Tart interacting with the fruit? I haven't had either of them, but I know in highly fruited beers they can take too much like fruit preserves.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

I'd guess it was the lactose in the one from Odd Side. They also both probably use the canned blueberry puree that you can get in bulk sizes from Oregon Fruit or similar. You have to use a lot of blueberry compared to something like raspberries and cherries, so that may also have something to do with it. Could also be all the wheat in the Press Tart interacting with the fruit? I haven't had either of them, but I know in highly fruited beers they can take too much like fruit preserves.

I actually just read up on that Press Tart and they claimed that the majority of the flavor comes from Marionberries, not Blueberries. Looks like I'll be dumping some cash into a puree can this year.

Edit: The Odd Sides beers were a Cherry and a Pineapple Tangerine. Both had lactose in them. They were really loving good.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I really like marionberries, and it's a hybrid blackberry. Pretty sure they're pretty large canes and plants, but I don't know if they can be sold as blackberries or not. I'd get them from a farmer's market in the PNW where they were just sold by the name. Either way, blackberry+blueberry is a good combination.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LaserWash posted:

Brewersfriend.com is much better, but it is a subscription service.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Biomute posted:

Unless your wifi doesn't work in your garage like me. :/

Brewing a Belgian Pale Ale this week with the Ardenne's strain now that I have my little helper home from school for the summer. I'm having trouble curbing my inner tinkerer because the recipe is currently very close to being French Pale Malt and maybe a little Munich or light CaraMunich with a bunch of undecided hops and I don't want to go overboard.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I'm gonna do a blackberry stout next. I've always used grocery store fruit, which has been horrible, but the recipe I'm following, The Bearded Lady is recommending this "vintners harvest" stuff. Maybe it'll be better, maybe I'll swear off fruit beer for good.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jhet posted:

I don't know what the difference is for the upgrade, but you can occasionally find it for less than $20 if you're on a beer budget. I use BeerSmith2 for recipes and notes and like it a lot, but you certainly don't need it.

I'm curious to know what exactly is improved about it. I'm hoping he releases a podcast about it before I go and plop down any money on it.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Biomute posted:

I like BF's water chemistry calculators, but Beersmith always seemed better for general recipe creation / tweaking / storage. Am I missing something, or is it just a case of "what I'm used to"?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rockcity posted:

I'm curious to know what exactly is improved about it. I'm hoping he releases a podcast about it before I go and plop down any money on it.

http://beersmith.com/beersmith-3-release-notes/

They added better water profiling. So that's the biggest I've seen. That and made it easier to add/organize non-malt ingredients. Mead and Cider support too. And it looks to be able to handle more hop usages. I like the screen grab of the water chem page.

They're using a cloud subscription too, which I think was there sort of for 2.x, but I've never used it. I just used dropbox/google like anyone reasonably could.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

The Gose I had was from Anderson Valley. Their melon is way too salty and far too sour. If I see another one of theirs, I'll check it out, the rest have been put on the list. Thanks for the suggestions.

I finally finished listening to that podcast eviltastic was talking about for backsweetening session meads and now I wish there were as extensive resources for meadmaking as there are for beer. I was having a hard time finding what exactly is in honey besides sugar and water. I think one of the main things they were getting at was that backsweetening to add body was a no-go, as it would require so much sugar it would be strongly cloying. I think they also mentioned oversweetening, which is a huge concern in my experience. It doesn't take very much to go from "sweet wine" to "candy" and yeast particles can obscure that flavor before clarification. I wonder which parts of the honey are broken down by the yeast first and how it affects the final product. I remember learning certain sugars taste sweeter than others, and I also know that yeast will break down different nutrients/sugars in an order of priority. I'm hoping I'll find someone who's done my research for me this weekend.

My pink peppercorn mead has just been bottled, fairly dry, about 1.004, but I decided during a taste test to water the whole thing down about 10%. It came out great, lots of strong, fresh floral notes with a little bit of peppercorn spice and oil in the back. The mead is just a white wine base, but there's a little touch of honey flavor. The filtered tap water was a surprisingly good balance to the pepper flavor, with a barely perceptible mineral quality. It doesn't look like much but I'll take pictures later.

i did some mead fairly recently, was just orange blossom honey and a bit of hop tea with some champagne yeast. it's come out at about 10% and it's got a fairly perfumey white-wine taste, but it's kinda thin and the taste doesn't really linger as long as i'd like.

i'm not really sure what i could do to beef it up, but i'm still at the mucking-about phase with mead. i've got some more honey for a gallon batch and i might go for either a belgian yeast instead of champagne, some kind of additional botanical like your pink peppercorns, or even just carbing it instead of leaving it still (maybe with brown sugar)

in other news i bottled up the black ipa i posted about upthread tonight, and my capper and caps decided to fight me every step of the way, instead of being smooth and easy like usual. either the caps i bought were garbage, the new empties are different somehow, or i'm just knackered. ipa itself tastes fine after dry hop - no real off flavours at all, despite initial fears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

robotsinmyhead posted:

I haven't had those beers but I've noticed something similar before.

My experience is that it seems to come from a combination of high fruiting rate, residual sugars and acid profile.

Depending on the fruit, you may want to try a small batch at 2-3+lb/gal and see what happens.

Fruit adds acid, and different fruits add different ones. Sour beer is generally mostly lactic acid. Fruits can bring all sorts of other acids (ie malic, citric) which can totally change your preception of the other flavors and the sourness. Ie. If you normally fruit with just berries, add a little rhubarb and the sourness will be sharper even if you don't really taste the rhubabrb much. Some crops of fruit have more or less of a particular acid too.

Fruit based acid plus residual sugar seems to be key. I've had a few beers that had killer jam-like flavors prior to bottling that dried out and ended up a little flat. I'd guess is that it's the same thing that happens to fruit wine/cider, if you fermented down to 1.000 there isn't enough residual sugar to carry the flavor but you can back sweeten to get it back, or not go that dry in the first place.