Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The last 8 episodes should just be George Michael and Maeby getting married, completely disregarding all current plotlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Escobarbarian posted:

The rebooted season of Beavis and Butt-Head is probably the gold standard for revivals tbh. As far as keeping the original spirit of the show goes anyway

Beavis was crying :v:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nothing yet even close to touches the golden season of Future War, Space Mutiny, and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, unfortunately.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If anything in new MST3K is as funny as the Panther I’ll eat my loving shoes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Does Futurama count?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does Futurama count?

Good god no. I think maybe one or two of the movies were passable but after that it got real bad real fast.

Reviving a show by making four sequel movies in quick succession without even waiting to see if anyone watches them was a bold move though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Futurama reboot bad

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Family Guy is exactly the same before and after cancellation, and you get to decide what that is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah pre-cancellation Family Guy is definitely better

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Leave it to Beaver and Roseanne are the best options, although the latter was killed by the star.

Curb should really be an example, although it's technically never a cancellation and instead Larry David making a new season whenever he feels like it, even if it's removed by 5 years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

Nothing yet even close to touches the golden season of Future War, Space Mutiny, and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, unfortunately.

Setting the bar, uh, very high there, but Cry Wilderness and Avalanche are some good poo poo.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Steve2911 posted:

Good god no. I think maybe one or two of the movies were passable but after that it got real bad real fast.

Reviving a show by making four sequel movies in quick succession without even waiting to see if anyone watches them was a bold move though.

There were definitely a few top tier episodes in the Comedy Central run afterwards, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:raise:

Art is subjective and all, but couldn't disagree more. I can rewatch classic DW all day long. NuWho has had some good episodes here and there but overall it just leaves me cold.

I find both wonderful and entertaining. I could go from watching a Troughton story to a Calpadi with no trouble at all.

And back to AD, that bit where Gob was talking to Tony Wonder, was in the suitcase, and they kept cutting to different shots of the suitcase was loving brilliant.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Emerson Cod posted:

There were definitely a few top tier episodes in the Comedy Central run afterwards, though.

The subject is "shows that were revived and were as good or better than before their cancellation" though, and original Futurama was definitely better than the new seasons. I will definitely grant you the fact that there were a good handful of new eps that were pretty amazing and could hang with the best of the original series, though.

Does The Expanse count? They won't have any missing years, but they were definitely cancelled and picked up by Amazon. It's too early to call it for the Amazon seasons anyway, though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Phenotype posted:

The subject is "shows that were revived and were as good or better than before their cancellation" though, and original Futurama was definitely better than the new seasons. I will definitely grant you the fact that there were a good handful of new eps that were pretty amazing and could hang with the best of the original series, though.

Does The Expanse count? They won't have any missing years, but they were definitely cancelled and picked up by Amazon. It's too early to call it for the Amazon seasons anyway, though.

Well in that case you can count Longmire, but there's not really any extended hiatus in either case.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

So you guys know how Steve Holt changed appearances from season 3 to 4 as a joke about some people who peak way too early and then just crash downhill?

When do you think they'll bring Will Arnett back?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does Michael Cera actually look that gross now or are they just playing up his scragginess

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

wrong thread.

STEVE HOLT!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Astroman posted:

wrong thread.

STEVE HOLT!

Weird you look like a guy I used to date.

Edit: I might have a weird thing for 20 somethings dressed as 60 year olds

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol that people are defending that interview in the most half assed way, just say you don’t care they are assholes.

It’s more honest.

Loom of Fate
Jun 4, 2018
Interview was rough to listen to, even though the clip was short. Hearing Jessica Walter cry-speak was so painful.

S4 remix didn't do it for me... I thought the original was better since I enjoyed all the drawn-out jokes. S5 is interesting. It felt like it took 4 episodes to get back in the groove of things. Episodes 5-8 were decent. I just don't remember Ron Howard narrating so much in S1-3. :shrug: He got annoying.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Didn't enjoy the first few episodes. Maeby's story was fantastic and the last few episodes were decent.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Felt really caught off guard when episode 8 ended and it spit me back to the small window with a recommended show. The Tick, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and now Arrested Development - I hope there isn't a trend of shows on streaming platforms doing this spit season thing. I think Kimmy and AD were split to rush them out in time for the Emmy nominations though, if what I glanced at quickly on some website is true.

I didn't think it was terrible, just lacking a lot of humor. More mild amusement than laugh out loud stuff, though there were a few like "mom's loving cabin". But I'm the type of person who enjoys "zombie Simpsons" and will continue watching it until it somehow gets put down.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
streaming companies sick of people registering for 1 month, binging, then not coming back until the next show comes out

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

underage at the vape shop posted:

streaming companies sick of people registering for 1 month, binging, then not coming back until the next show comes out

Then why not release it over two consecutive months? Half the season now, half the season in 32 days.

Kimmy Schmidt 4.2 isn't coming out until January next year, but 4.1 was released last week. Which suggests to me that they either haven't finished it, or they're reaaaallly milking it, and not a subscription thing in the way you seem to be suggesting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

They should ditch the binge releases. You don't get the fun of bitching about each individual episode each week.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just saw that Ben & Jerry's "scoop shops" are serving a Bluth Banana Stand sundae until June 17th. A little promotional video popped up on my Facebook page with Tony Hale making an appearance at one of their locations and serving them to fans.
https://www.benjerry.com/whats-new/2018/05/bluth-banana-stand-sundae

Loom of Fate
Jun 4, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just saw that Ben & Jerry's "scoop shops" are serving a Bluth Banana Stand sundae until June 17th. A little promotional video popped up on my Facebook page with Tony Hale making an appearance at one of their locations and serving them to fans.
https://www.benjerry.com/whats-new/2018/05/bluth-banana-stand-sundae

That's awesome! He was one of the few characters I enjoyed in S5.

There's always money in the banana stand!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So uh now those people will just wait till the season's over, or pirate it if they can't wait.

They should just release them weekly if this is really a problem.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That has to be a tiny minority of people. Unless you hate literally everything on Netflix except 1-2 shows there's enough new stuff each month to justify staying subscribed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wish they would get more stupid horror movies. I know they have a ton of them, but I want some of the classic slashers and stuff. Movie wise they are starting to get really really bland.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Netflix should have made a bid for 20th Century Fox. Imagine all of the content they could have had forever.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
This show sucks now. I haven't laughed at all, no sight gags, the new gags suck, and some of the jokes are pretty much Howard and Hurwitz blowing each other.

gently caress the last eight episodes. I'm out.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I was surprised I enjoyed S5, you might not be able to tell that I'm surprised, but I am.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm enjoying it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Forceholy posted:

This show sucks now. I haven't laughed at all, no sight gags, the new gags suck, and some of the jokes are pretty much Howard and Hurwitz blowing each other.

You forgot to say "away" again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
S5 is getting absolutely bodied by the reviews, I’ve seen a single positive one and probably nearly a dozen “this was a huge mistake”

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They kind of set themselves up for that one.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Agreed that the Ron Howard stuff is pretty bad (although Bryce Dallas Howard was a delight). There's also weird stuff like Tobias' mustache which seems like a setup for something like the recurring blue paint gag but it doesn't ever really seem to go anywhere.

There's still some great material in this season, but it seems like an awful long march to get to it. I hope they call it a day after S5.5, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It really was best as Bush-era satire. I'll always have very fond memories of you, AD seasons 1-3.

• Locked thread