Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Meydey posted:

Mine got hosed up big time.

I called about mine, and was told there was a $10 upcharge for backdating the plan. She supposedly checked with a supervisor who "confirmed" it. Sounded like bullshit so I asked the question elsewhere and was told it's just the website not showing the correct pricing. I don't even know what to believe but the latter explanation makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm getting f-ing hammered with spam calls about insurance. Is there no way to report them or complain or something? It's ridiculous this poo poo continues.

Also I did get socked with an up charge for back dating my plan.

quote:

New feature added

05/02/18

Fam incl. Netflix $10.99 was added to your account via Customer Service on 05/02/2018 at 01:49 PM. This change will be effective 05/02/2018. Your feature on us.

-
Rate plan change

05/02/18

Your account was changed to T-Mobile ONE Military 2+ via Customer Service on 05/02/2018 at 01:45 PM.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

wormil posted:

I'm getting f-ing hammered with spam calls about insurance. Is there no way to report them or complain or something? It's ridiculous this poo poo continues.

Also I did get socked with an up charge for back dating my plan.

I got mine straightened out before billing last month. Took 1 week to get the correct pricing, then another week to get the backdated charges cleared. Now I just need to get Netflix straightened out.

I found it best to explain to a store rep, then have them call the online csr.

Also, turn on Spam block in your account.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Spam block is on, been on for months, according to the website.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

wormil posted:

Spam block is on, been on for months, according to the website.

Download a spam call blocking app as well. Hiya is good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Download a spam call blocking app as well. Hiya is good.

Done, thanks.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I currently have service with another carrier, and I want to purchase a new, unlocked iPhone 8 and join T-Mobile. I want to purchase the phone outright, and not finance/lease it from Tmo.

Should I buy unlocked from the Apple Store, then go to a Tmo store? Will Tmo sell me an unlocked device if I purchase from their store? What is the best course of action?

My current phone is owned outright and I am not under contract.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
TMobile has BOGO iPhones right now. You should buy from t mobile and get two iPhones.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

TMobile has BOGO iPhones right now. You should buy from t mobile and get two iPhones.

Do I have to open two lines to get two phones? I only want one line for myself.

e: According to this page you have to finance both phones, and put each of them on a line. So this is a no-go for me.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 4, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I currently have service with another carrier, and I want to purchase a new, unlocked iPhone 8 and join T-Mobile. I want to purchase the phone outright, and not finance/lease it from Tmo.

Should I buy unlocked from the Apple Store, then go to a Tmo store? Will Tmo sell me an unlocked device if I purchase from their store? What is the best course of action?

My current phone is owned outright and I am not under contract.

Last I checked T-Mobile sells their phones locked. If you go to Apple , buy it outright, then go to T-Mobile you’re fine.

Note that their are two iPhone 8 models Apple sells. One only works on T-Mobile and ATT, One works on those two plus Verizon and sprint. The unlocked one should be the latter, which is A1863, but I would double check when you get the iPhone.

https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-8-plus-model-number-differences/

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Last I checked T-Mobile sells their phones locked. If you go to Apple , buy it outright, then go to T-Mobile you’re fine.

Note that their are two iPhone 8 models Apple sells. One only works on T-Mobile and ATT, One works on those two plus Verizon and sprint. The unlocked one should be the latter, which is A1863, but I would double check when you get the iPhone.

https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-8-plus-model-number-differences/
Cool, thanks. I had seen there were two models of the iPhone 8 when researching, but thanks for the heads up that the Apple store has both. I figured they just sold the one that worked on everything.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
For the free 1-hour of Gogo inflight wifi, is that only for the phone or can I also use that on my laptop? Has anyone used this feature before and anything I need to be aware of before I get airborne and unable to do?

Thanks!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

For the free 1-hour of Gogo inflight wifi, is that only for the phone or can I also use that on my laptop? Has anyone used this feature before and anything I need to be aware of before I get airborne and unable to do?

Thanks!

I’ve used it on my iPad— they just prompt you for your phone number and then you get your hour.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

I’ve used it on my iPad— they just prompt you for your phone number and then you get your hour.

Sweet. Is there any authentication on the device in question or just takes the number? I have four lines on my account and a three hour flight. Hoping to use the other lives despite them not being with me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Answering my own question from the sky. Put in one of my tablet phone numbers and answered a captcha was all it took. Said something about WiFi calling but cannot say if I've done it in the past or not to make it activate.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
As far as I know enabling WiFi calling is only there so people can text as advertised. If you have that disabled you won't be able to text and then people would get upset.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Makes sense. One thing to note is that I couldn't get another hour on my iPhone with a different line. Said I already used it. Another line did work on my work phone, but the option was missing on my iPad. Just for reference for folks. I wasn't able to just cycle through the numbers even after clearing my cookies.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Does the military discount work if the military person, my dad, is not the account owner just a recipient of an active phone on the account?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elephanthead posted:

Does the military discount work if the military person, my dad, is not the account owner just a recipient of an active phone on the account?

Daily Forecast posted:

Vet has to be account holder, active can just be an authorized user, but a vet being an authorized user doesn't qualify for the military plan, for whatever dumb reason.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's so people don't pay vets to be on their account.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Don Lapre posted:

It's so people don't pay vets to be on their account.

Thank you for your (line of) service.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I have two lines on the tmobile one or w/e plan with unlimited everything. I got that lifetime 20% discount they were giving out a while back. Do I lose that if I switch to the tmobile military(veteran) one plan? I guess in the end I’d save more money on the military one anyway?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So I have two lines on the tmobile one or w/e plan with unlimited everything. I got that lifetime 20% discount they were giving out a while back. Do I lose that if I switch to the tmobile military(veteran) one plan? I guess in the end I’d save more money on the military one anyway?

Yes you will lose it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe a bit of an obscure question that nobody else has ever cared about... but if I'm on a MetroPCS tariff that does "unlimited music" that says Apple Music is included, does this also cover iTunes Match? I think I'm the last person left who has that service...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Maybe a bit of an obscure question that nobody else has ever cared about... but if I'm on a MetroPCS tariff that does "unlimited music" that says Apple Music is included, does this also cover iTunes Match? I think I'm the last person left who has that service...

I still use iTunes Match. I can’t answer your question, but you’re not the only one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s nice not to be alone! Altho I’ve been lazy and not actually got it running fully yet (I used it years ago and resubbed recently).

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
So, a bit of a two-fold question here so feel free to tackle either part.

I've been with T-Mobile for quite awhile here but only with a flip phone. I had the $50 plan before downgrading to the $40 monthly plan (since I wasn't using any sort of data and I can still pull up webpages with the phone I've got) However, I've going to be flying here to visit family soon and said family has no internet, at all. I will probably need internet to deal with work-stuffs and it tends to come in at all points of timing. (aka no just accessing the local library, etc) So, my questions are as follows:

1) Since these things don't seem to exist much anymore, is my better option to finally just own up and get a smart phone so I can tether to it during my trip and allow my computer (a Macbook Pro, if it helps, mid-2012) to connect to it or are there actually still some wi-fi boxes out there to rent/buy to use temporarily?

2) If it's just smarter to go the tethering route, is there any particular phones out there to aim for? (Since my laptop's a Macbook, I don't know if it'll be easier to tether to via an iPhone or if Apple's walled garden doesn't allow that.)

3) Also, if I need to get a smartphone, I'm probably going to need to tweak my plan to allow for more than 500mb of data, etc. Is there a certain plan or plans to aim for?

It's a lot to ask, I know, so please feel free to ask me to clarify things as needed. I've got about a week and a half or so to figure this out in, so there's still a bit of time. I appreciate any and all advise you all can give, so thank you in advance for the help!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seiyal posted:

So, a bit of a two-fold question here so feel free to tackle either part.

I've been with T-Mobile for quite awhile here but only with a flip phone. I had the $50 plan before downgrading to the $40 monthly plan (since I wasn't using any sort of data and I can still pull up webpages with the phone I've got) However, I've going to be flying here to visit family soon and said family has no internet, at all. I will probably need internet to deal with work-stuffs and it tends to come in at all points of timing. (aka no just accessing the local library, etc) So, my questions are as follows:

1) Since these things don't seem to exist much anymore, is my better option to finally just own up and get a smart phone so I can tether to it during my trip and allow my computer (a Macbook Pro, if it helps, mid-2012) to connect to it or are there actually still some wi-fi boxes out there to rent/buy to use temporarily?

2) If it's just smarter to go the tethering route, is there any particular phones out there to aim for? (Since my laptop's a Macbook, I don't know if it'll be easier to tether to via an iPhone or if Apple's walled garden doesn't allow that.)

3) Also, if I need to get a smartphone, I'm probably going to need to tweak my plan to allow for more than 500mb of data, etc. Is there a certain plan or plans to aim for?

It's a lot to ask, I know, so please feel free to ask me to clarify things as needed. I've got about a week and a half or so to figure this out in, so there's still a bit of time. I appreciate any and all advise you all can give, so thank you in advance for the help!

A phone plan is usually cheaper than an hotspot on plan (they do make those WiFi boxes).

Quick random option: some libraries do rent mobile hotspots (WiFi boxes). See if your local library has one.

T-Mobile charges $70 for a smartphone with data, $80 for smartphone with data with hotspot. They offer a discount if you were ever in the military. It looks like they have a prepaid plan that is $50 for 10GB that offers mobile hotspot, that could be a better option.

iPhones don’t block tethering anymore. That being said, a Motorola G5 or G6 is the best “budget” phone. It’s like, $200-250 and works well. Anything you see cheaper than that will be bad.

An equivalent option, Verizon offers 7GB for $50 on prepaid, and they do have a sale where the iPhone SE is $160. So not a bad option either. iPhones are a good option, they’re just normally higher prices. The SE has been out s bit, but for that price, and the support from Apple you get, not a bad idea.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Duckman2008 posted:

A phone plan is usually cheaper than an hotspot on plan (they do make those WiFi boxes).

Quick random option: some libraries do rent mobile hotspots (WiFi boxes). See if your local library has one.

T-Mobile charges $70 for a smartphone with data, $80 for smartphone with data with hotspot. They offer a discount if you were ever in the military. It looks like they have a prepaid plan that is $50 for 10GB that offers mobile hotspot, that could be a better option.

iPhones don’t block tethering anymore. That being said, a Motorola G5 or G6 is the best “budget” phone. It’s like, $200-250 and works well. Anything you see cheaper than that will be bad.

An equivalent option, Verizon offers 7GB for $50 on prepaid, and they do have a sale where the iPhone SE is $160. So not a bad option either. iPhones are a good option, they’re just normally higher prices. The SE has been out s bit, but for that price, and the support from Apple you get, not a bad idea.

Awesome, thank you for all of that great information!

I'm glad to hear that they still make those boxes but sadly it doesn't seem like any of the libraries near my current location (or near my traveling hub) have those boxes to rent or borrow sadly.

Would you be able to tell me more about that $50 plan with mobile hotspot? That may be something I can look into.

Also good to know that iPhones don't block tethering anymore. Oddly enough, if I was going to end up with an iPhone, I was thinking it'd be the SE (or the SE 2 if rumors are correct later this year) . I've not seen anything about the Motorola G5/G6 but I can look into it. The only other "phone" I have practice with is an old Galaxy Note 3 (and I call it a "phone" as I've been basically using it as a small tablet)

I'll keep the Verizon offer in mind, but I'd like to stay on T-Mobile if I can.

Again, thank you so very much for all of this information so far, it's been greatly appreciated.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

Seiyal posted:

Would you be able to tell me more about that $50 plan with mobile hotspot? That may be something I can look into.

I believe the plan is called “$50 Simply Prepaid UNL. Talk, Text & 10GB 4G LTE” for $50.00 + tax. Your data can be used how you want between phone and tethered devices, but 10GB is the hard cap. Here’s the prepaid offerings as far as I’m aware and believe it’s just a single line off the family plan offering on the right.

Did you verify T-Mobile has strong coverage where you’re heading, ideally first hand? Their coverage maps are unrealistic in my experience. For example, my iPhone does not work indoors when visiting family and friends in many small & medium tier cities in the North East, but I had no issues when I had Verizon. T-Mobile shows otherwise, but at least I could fall back on WiFi calling/texting. It would be pretty painful to figure out on the first day you’re trying to conduct business.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You can get some Tmobile sim cards (from tmobile) for like 15 days and stick them in your phone and travel around and test your phone. I did that and had to shitcan the service. Verizon had 2x their coverage in my area which is no bueno.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

chicagobutters posted:

I believe the plan is called “$50 Simply Prepaid UNL. Talk, Text & 10GB 4G LTE” for $50.00 + tax. Your data can be used how you want between phone and tethered devices, but 10GB is the hard cap. Here’s the prepaid offerings as far as I’m aware and believe it’s just a single line off the family plan offering on the right.

Did you verify T-Mobile has strong coverage where you’re heading, ideally first hand? Their coverage maps are unrealistic in my experience. For example, my iPhone does not work indoors when visiting family and friends in many small & medium tier cities in the North East, but I had no issues when I had Verizon. T-Mobile shows otherwise, but at least I could fall back on WiFi calling/texting. It would be pretty painful to figure out on the first day you’re trying to conduct business.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to verify if things work before hand due to the fact that there's no way to do that before my trip. I don't absolutely need the internet (it'd be nice to have, but I have plans in place if I can't access the net during the trip for that work) I can look into Verizon as an alternate for a box, since ideally, I'll be able to hand it off to the next people visiting family to use.

A cursory look at Verizon and T-Mobile shows that they have hotspots but the ones available seem to be in-store only (and backordered) So I may be back to either looking at upgrading my phone to make it a hotspot or just not having net for the week.

redeyes posted:

You can get some Tmobile sim cards (from tmobile) for like 15 days and stick them in your phone and travel around and test your phone. I did that and had to shitcan the service. Verizon had 2x their coverage in my area which is no bueno.

I had Verizon awhile ago and it was fine but the pricing on their hotspot was pretty abysmal (and not in-stores at the moment either way it seems) I do appreciate the information though, thank you very much for that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Seiyal posted:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to verify if things work before hand due to the fact that there's no way to do that before my trip. I don't absolutely need the internet (it'd be nice to have, but I have plans in place if I can't access the net during the trip for that work) I can look into Verizon as an alternate for a box, since ideally, I'll be able to hand it off to the next people visiting family to use.

A cursory look at Verizon and T-Mobile shows that they have hotspots but the ones available seem to be in-store only (and backordered) So I may be back to either looking at upgrading my phone to make it a hotspot or just not having net for the week.

I had Verizon awhile ago and it was fine but the pricing on their hotspot was pretty abysmal (and not in-stores at the moment either way it seems) I do appreciate the information though, thank you very much for that.

Pretty much all Verizon stores have hotspots (aka Jetpacks), just FYI. A phone plan with hotspot is probably cheaper.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Duckman2008 posted:

Pretty much all Verizon stores have hotspots (aka Jetpacks), just FYI. A phone plan with hotspot is probably cheaper.

Yeah, I may go and check out a store tomorrow and see what a good option might be for this. Hotspots by themselves seem rather expensive (and like you said, for cheaper, I could get a phone + hotspot, unless I've misunderstood that)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

(new post, will delete and edit if need be, so just let me know)

So, I ended up finally diving in and getting a smartphone... but the thing feels super big compared to my flip phone (naturally).

I picked up an LG K30 and while the phone seems to work fine (a little quiet on the speaker from the few calls I've tried) the thing just does not want to be held in a phone position very well. It could just be me of course, but I'm a bit worried this is just too big to be comfortable.

So, my dilemma. Go with the other original plan of a SE, 6S, 7 (are 8s small, I dunno, the display in store was kind of confusing the way it was set up, to be honest) or stick with this LG for the trip and figure things out when I get back? (Also, why is the SE only 32gb in store, I thought there was a 128gb version.) . The more space on the system, the better no matter which it is.

To finish though, the reps in store were very nice and helpful... I just think I am terrible at decision making (or this is the new phone to push and I fell for it)

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated since my clock on doing any changes is very short I'm afraid (due to my trip out tomorrow)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The iphones 6s, 7, and 8 are all the same size (within a mm). The SE is smaller.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The iphones 6s, 7, and 8 are all the same size (within a mm). The SE is smaller.

SE and 6s are the ones with headphone jacks iirc and the others just mainly look the same overall (which may have been how I got confused in the first place)

And, to get anything bigger than 32gb, I'd have to go through the Apple Store, from what I can tell, correct?

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE
On the One Plus (non-International) plans, there is a stipulation that you get full speed hotspot/tethering unless your PC tethering usage is >50% of the line's data usage, at which point it gets throttled.

Is it a viable strategy to waste 25/50gb monthly on the phone so that I can use the remaining 25gb for full speed PC tethering? What apps might facilitate this?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, my family and I are thinking of switching to T mobile because they're half the cost of Verizon.

My family has been with Verizon for a while now and I remember there being a lot of incentives to switch, so my dad and I are trying to discern the best way to make this switch work with us.

We currently have 4 lines, one of which is on device payment with $700 left. I have $100 left on mine. We were told they'd buyout device payment contracts from Verizon and let you keep the device if you switch, up to $650 per line.

So we're thinking of going into Verizon and getting all new devices on payment programs tomorrow, then switching to T-Mobile the day after and having them pay $650 on each of those devices.

Are we wrong that this will go down how we expect? I called and the dude was like "yeah, if it's on device payment we'll cover $650 per line to switch, but it has to be done in-store so check with them."

I'd like to get y'all's impression on this before we go in there because Goons Never Let You Down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

So, my family and I are thinking of switching to T mobile because they're half the cost of Verizon.

My family has been with Verizon for a while now and I remember there being a lot of incentives to switch, so my dad and I are trying to discern the best way to make this switch work with us.

We currently have 4 lines, one of which is on device payment with $700 left. I have $100 left on mine. We were told they'd buyout device payment contracts from Verizon and let you keep the device if you switch, up to $650 per line.

So we're thinking of going into Verizon and getting all new devices on payment programs tomorrow, then switching to T-Mobile the day after and having them pay $650 on each of those devices.

Are we wrong that this will go down how we expect? I called and the dude was like "yeah, if it's on device payment we'll cover $650 per line to switch, but it has to be done in-store so check with them."

I'd like to get y'all's impression on this before we go in there because Goons Never Let You Down.

It’s def up to $650 , and I believe requires phone trade in, but it’s on whatever the balance of the phone is. So your phone will get credits for a full $650. Dads phone would get $100 or whatever the trade in value is on his phone, whichever is higher. Etc.

Check online to see if T-Mobile has other promos going as well. Looks like they still may be doing a BOGO.