Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Good, so it DID work.

I waa bugged by pixaal to dig deeper into my code for anything that could be causing slowdown. All i could find was a big blob of "sendwillrendercanvas" calls taking up 70% of the render time and my scripts only like 10% so i had no idea what i could do to help. But then I saw two minor scripts ocassionally blip up in render time. One controls the text on the sellout shop saying "you have X Arbitrary points" and ditto for the exp menu. They updated every frame. On a lark i set them to only update if that specific menu is up. That suddenly dropped the "sendwillrendercanvases" calls down dramatically. What I think happened is the exp and sellout shop are actually a seperate canvas for each tab and those two tiny scripts told every canvas, every frame, to update visually, even if not on-screen.

Programming is so easy to gently caress up :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

something posted:

Every time I write software with a stupid, lovely bug, I think to myself, "At least I'm not working on medical devices."

BTW I started playing a few weeks ago, it's much improved since the beta! I feel like there's always something just over the horizon to work toward, which is the hallmark of a well-designed idle game. Excellent job!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Just started a troll run - first popup was "lose your magic" - with choices of HURR and DURR which I assume were just both confirmations ala the updated screen. It would be amusing to use the popup to let the player 'choose' which to lose, energy or magic, and then randomly ignore them or switch. Same end result, twice the frustration, e.g. ARGH why did I say I wanted to lose energy, it took my magic! And then the reverse next time, or maybe not

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

something posted:

Game programming more so on account of the doing poo poo all the time but not wanting it to do ALL the poo poo all the time. At least when I have a bug in a batch script I can step through until something stupid happens.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

shs fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 12, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

shs posted:

I posted this about 100 years ago and then was sucked into a black hole of work, but I managed to escape and now you can play the game for reals. This is the an actual release, not a test version like last time.

Kongregate Version
My website

Both versions are identical, but if you play the Kongregate version and have an account with them, your save data will automatically be backed up online. If you play it on my website, it'll save locally unless you create a cloud save account.

Stat wise, luck and riposte are very good, you'll wants lots of them.

Some things that will make the menus much more bearable:

You can confirm by pressing Enter
You can cancel or close menus with Right Click or Escape

Also, the game won't work in Internet Explorer, Edge, or mobile browsers.
I was just thinking about this game the other day. Really excited to see it as a release version!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

shs posted:

Both versions are identical, but if you play the Kongregate version and have an account with them, your save data will automatically be backed up online. If you play it on my website, it'll save locally unless you create a cloud save account.
feedback: I can't Tab between fields on the "create a cloud save account" page on your local website

shs
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

feedback: I can't Tab between fields on the "create a cloud save account" page on your local website

That's something I'm aware of but for a simple thing it takes a surprising amount of effort to implement :eng99:

I assure you the rest of the game has much more effort put into it

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Uhm, how do you buy anything other than Attack Up upgrades? Does that come later?

edit: Nevermind, apparently that's through mastery upgrades.

edit2: One small gripe/pet peeve is that you unlock daily missions before you can do most of them. I'd sure love to do infusions and start a mission, but I have no idea how or what they even are and when they unlock.

edit3: Also holy smokes that scaling. The first two bosses felt well balanced and just manageable, suddenly the level 30 boss is just a huge wad of HP and I can barely make him maybe half dead before the enrage timer kicks in. The grind is real and if that's par for the course, eh. Like, I know this is an idle game, but everyone knows you gotta feed the players rewards and progress in the first few hours.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 6, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

shs posted:

That's something I'm aware of but for a simple thing it takes a surprising amount of effort to implement :eng99:

I assure you the rest of the game has much more effort put into it

Elixirs are a little vague. I'm not sure what the xp numbers are on them, if they are supposed to pop into inventory or if they are their own screen, or really how violet nuggets affect them.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Small ngu feature request: Clicking should dismiss timed pop-ups

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

something posted:

Big troll doing nothing was a bug, oops. I just pushed out an un-numbered update now to fix the small post-patch issues that always crop up.

I kind of think it should be like a 1-2% chance, I was insanely paranoid for a few minutes, checking every single menu to see what had been affected

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Finished 2 Troll Challenges for the accessory slots (6 slots is amazing), but I don't have it in me for the next one yet. You really need to get your stats up for these because the longer they go, the more your features get disabled for the rebirth and your boss multiplier gets reduced. Getting NGU disabled marks the end of progression for a given rebirth, so I often had to rebirth with less than 1000x improvement. Made for really slow going to get to boss 84.

I really want that beard slot but what a brutal challenge. Really fun and dynamic. Does the trolling get worse as you complete challenges or is it just harder because you have to push higher bosses?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Endless Battle:
  • Extract Combat Power: Is this on a 24h cooldown, or fixed time daily reset?
  • Attack: Why does my attack go down with each ally I enable?
  • Auto Upgrade: To be consistent with the rest of the UI, text should probably be green while active.
  • Merge: Should probably show you the before/after on a merge so you know what the result will be.
  • Equipment: Base stats should probably show up somewhere in the equipment/merge UI so you can compare vs. mergable items.
  • Inventory: A more compact inventory with tooltips would be greatly appreciated. Also, sorting.
  • Elixirs: As mentioned, there's almost no description of this, so I'm hesitant to start crafting them until I can tell how they work.
  • Party: What happens when I buy the 9th+ member? Can I delete/reroll party members?
  • Monster Asylum: What's the mechanic to getting more monsters?
  • Monster Points: What's the mechanic to gaining these? Is it possible to boost gain?
  • Faction Points: Is gain linear? Do I lose progress towards the next tier if I swap factions? If I return to a faction with tiers completed, do I have to start the next tier from 0?
  • Do timed buffs from items (e.g. Damage Card) persist if I start a new mission?
  • Is the only reason to ever go back to Grassy Plains to check off Cheevo boxes?
  • When filtering the inventory and Cards set to Hidden, I still see my cards. Other filters are working as advertised.
  • I know the Badge of Wealth is an "SA Item", but what does that mean? Is it just passively always active?
  • Is there a discord or forum or something where I should be posting feedback other than here? (Pls don't say Kong forums)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

shs posted:

I posted this about 100 years ago and then was sucked into a black hole of work, but I managed to escape and now you can play the game for reals. This is the an actual release, not a test version like last time.

I really like some of your older games, specifically Spaceport Command and Idle Raid Guild. Any plans to remake them?

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Oenis posted:

Uhm, how do you buy anything other than Attack Up upgrades? Does that come later?

edit: Nevermind, apparently that's through mastery upgrades.

edit2: One small gripe/pet peeve is that you unlock daily missions before you can do most of them. I'd sure love to do infusions and start a mission, but I have no idea how or what they even are and when they unlock.

edit3: Also holy smokes that scaling. The first two bosses felt well balanced and just manageable, suddenly the level 30 boss is just a huge wad of HP and I can barely make him maybe half dead before the enrage timer kicks in. The grind is real and if that's par for the course, eh. Like, I know this is an idle game, but everyone knows you gotta feed the players rewards and progress in the first few hours.

The level 30 boss is a wall but you should be beatable within an hour or two of reaching him if you're using all the mechanics available to you. The game does have a lot of little features that aren't immediately obvious, though. Some of the information here might help:

https://www.kongregate.com/forums/1002340-ef-universe-endless-battle/topics/1635692-faq-for-newer-players

After you beat him everything you need to complete daily bonuses is available.

Elixirs work like this: Press Create -> Receive permanent stat increase.

Violet nuggets make them 35% stronger. This is something I'll add to the confirmation prompt in the next update.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I really like some of your older games, specifically Spaceport Command and Idle Raid Guild. Any plans to remake them?

I wouldn't count on it. Working on this game plus the other game I'm making are extremely time intensive and I have very little time for anything else.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Does the trolling get worse as you complete challenges or is it just harder because you have to push higher bosses?

The Troll Timer goes down by 10 seconds with each challenge. So on challenge 7 you will have 1 minute Trolls and 5 minute Big Trolls...

And yeah, I gave up after the 2nd one. The following rewards just aren't that tempting for me to completely lose (what's left of) my sanity.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

shs posted:

The level 30 boss is a wall but you should be beatable within an hour or two of reaching him if you're using all the mechanics available to you. The game does have a lot of little features that aren't immediately obvious, though. Some of the information here might help:

https://www.kongregate.com/forums/1002340-ef-universe-endless-battle/topics/1635692-faq-for-newer-players

After you beat him everything you need to complete daily bonuses is available.

I think something that would help is that if you click on the daily bonus line item, it took you to the feature page for that. So like, if I click on "infuse 4 items", take me to the Enhance Weapon page or whatever.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Numberwang posted:

The Troll Timer goes down by 10 seconds with each challenge. So on challenge 7 you will have 1 minute Trolls and 5 minute Big Trolls...

And yeah, I gave up after the 2nd one. The following rewards just aren't that tempting for me to completely lose (what's left of) my sanity.

Man that IS brutal. I feel like Energy/Magic bars and Stat Boosts for Rich Jerks are absolutely essential for higher level troll challenges. You lose your energy/magic pretty often and you can't rely on augments, NGU, or Beards for the stats to push forward. I guess if you can get everything high enough you can hope like hell you don't get a big troll that hoses you too much and just 15 min rebirth until you make it but drat.

This thing is an actual challenge, rather than just a task with some locked elements.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
I see Realm Grinder uses flash. Is there a popular clicker that doesn't use that with as many replay/extended play features as Realm Grinder apparently has?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Fooma posted:

I see Realm Grinder uses flash. Is there a popular clicker that doesn't use that with as many replay/extended play features as Realm Grinder apparently has?

the steam client of realm grinder

shs
Feb 14, 2012
If anyone tried to play my game earlier in the day, you might've encountered a ton of errors. The game's back end service provider decided to crash and burn and take me with them, but it's "probably" fixed now. Such great timing :mad:

If you look at these graphs you can probably identify when the issue took place

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

NGU question: Is there an "activate all fruits you can" button or hotkey for Yggdrasil? If not, that'd make a good reward/shop option/etc.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Jade Rider posted:

NGU question: Is there an "activate all fruits you can" button or hotkey for Yggdrasil? If not, that'd make a good reward/shop option/etc.

There are the Auto Ygg Activation purchases in the EXP Shop, shoot for those. Combined with the shiny new Harvest All Max Fruits button, you should be set.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
What should I be looking to upgrade next in NGU, or at which point should I actually start looking at magic and dumping some serious XP into it? I'm just about to complete the 24h challenge for the first time and I've beaten GRB 1 time and have 2 pieces of his gear. Just not sure what I should be looking at specifically next, I just finished getting energy power to 50.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Scorps posted:

What should I be looking to upgrade next in NGU, or at which point should I actually start looking at magic and dumping some serious XP into it? I'm just about to complete the 24h challenge for the first time and I've beaten GRB 1 time and have 2 pieces of his gear. Just not sure what I should be looking at specifically next, I just finished getting energy power to 50.

I'm not 100% on the current early game, but I'd get Mspd up to 25, and then start pushing for more Ecap, with the occasional Mcap. Probably also get Mpwr up to 5 at some point.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Scorps posted:

One of us is doing something very, very wrong. I'm much further along than you (idling in Clockwork, at boss 97) and have a similar energy cap, lower base energy power, and around the same energy bars.

However, I have significantly higher magic stats.

[edit] Have you been maxing out the equipment sets as you went along for the bonuses? The Cave and Magitek sets have really good bonuses. I screwed up and threw everything out and had to go back and farm the Cave and Forest sets.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 7, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
@shs: Any word on any of this?

Toshimo posted:

Endless Battle:
  • Extract Combat Power: Is this on a 24h cooldown, or fixed time daily reset?
  • Attack: Why does my attack go down with each ally I enable?
  • Auto Upgrade: To be consistent with the rest of the UI, text should probably be green while active.
  • Merge: Should probably show you the before/after on a merge so you know what the result will be.
  • Equipment: Base stats should probably show up somewhere in the equipment/merge UI so you can compare vs. mergable items.
  • Inventory: A more compact inventory with tooltips would be greatly appreciated. Also, sorting.
  • Elixirs: As mentioned, there's almost no description of this, so I'm hesitant to start crafting them until I can tell how they work.
  • Party: What happens when I buy the 9th+ member? Can I delete/reroll party members?
  • Monster Asylum: What's the mechanic to getting more monsters?
  • Monster Points: What's the mechanic to gaining these? Is it possible to boost gain?
  • Faction Points: Is gain linear? Do I lose progress towards the next tier if I swap factions? If I return to a faction with tiers completed, do I have to start the next tier from 0?
  • Do timed buffs from items (e.g. Damage Card) persist if I start a new mission?
  • Is the only reason to ever go back to Grassy Plains to check off Cheevo boxes?
  • When filtering the inventory and Cards set to Hidden, I still see my cards. Other filters are working as advertised.
  • I know the Badge of Wealth is an "SA Item", but what does that mean? Is it just passively always active?
  • Is there a discord or forum or something where I should be posting feedback other than here? (Pls don't say Kong forums)

Also:
  • What effect does smiley/frowny faces have on party members?
  • Why do party members change active item boost on mission swap?
  • Can we get a better party management interface (sort, sets, etc.)?
  • Can you change the "Buy" button to "Max" after a 1-time purchase is made?
  • Can we get a "Open all lootboxes" button?
  • Can you move the "Loyal Bonding" Forge over with the rest of the "for the rest of this mission" buffs?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, opening a lootbox to find it contains another lootbox that you have to wait even longer to open is the sort of trolly thing somethingggg would do.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Toshimo posted:

I'm not 100% on the current early game, but I'd get Mspd up to 25, and then start pushing for more Ecap, with the occasional Mcap. Probably also get Mpwr up to 5 at some point.

Energy cap is probably the thing to buy if you don't have anything you're aiming for because it lets you spread across more features, especially NGU which is only affected by the amount allocated and not by power. Magic is used for Wandoos (not great in early game due to low OS level), Blood Magic (quicker climbs in late stage rebirths and permanent adventure stats every 24 hours, plus farming gold/equip in mid/end game), NGU, and a couple late-game Yggdrasil seeds that require a minimum of 3 million. It's better for post half hour rebirthing when you have a couple titans unlocked and can farm exp off them automatically instead of actively playing.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Sage Grimm posted:

Energy cap is probably the thing to buy if you don't have anything you're aiming for because it lets you spread across more features, especially NGU which is only affected by the amount allocated and not by power. Magic is used for Wandoos (not great in early game due to low OS level), Blood Magic (quicker climbs in late stage rebirths and permanent adventure stats every 24 hours, plus farming gold/equip in mid/end game), NGU, and a couple late-game Yggdrasil seeds that require a minimum of 3 million. It's better for post half hour rebirthing when you have a couple titans unlocked and can farm exp off them automatically instead of actively playing.

Power absolutely does effect NGU, I just tested it swapping accessories out. It's only Wandoos that is completely unaffected. I don't know if it's the square root of the power or the full power though.

The Iron pill spell also has a cooldown of 12 hours, not 24.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Energy power absolutely affects NGU. Wandoos is only affected by amount, and advanced training uses the square root of power. NGU gets the full effect of your energy or magic power.

More energy and magic stats will always be the key to pushing further. Everything revolves around those stats and more is always better. If you're still doing sub-hour rebirths make sure you have enough speed/bars to cap quickly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just finished my first troll challenge and I realized I'd been neglecting my bars stat because I do long runs.
Fixing that now, it'll be good for my beard growth and it'll be good for the troll challenges.

Also, please make more game mechanics that make me sound like an absolute madman to the uninitiated.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Manyorcas posted:

Power absolutely does effect NGU..
The Iron pill spell also has a cooldown of 12 hours, not 24.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Energy power absolutely affects NGU.

gently caress me, thanks for the corrections both of you.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Just to clarify something, the troll timer reduction isnt -10s for every completion. It goes 2:00, 1:50, 1:40 , 1:30, 1:25, 1:20, 1:15.

And for the next build, I will make the boss multi divider a big troll and only happen one per rebirth. If you got bad rng it could completely destroy your run which i think is a bit too cruel even for this challenge.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

Just to clarify something, the troll timer reduction isnt -10s for every completion. It goes 2:00, 1:50, 1:40 , 1:30, 1:25, 1:20, 1:15.

And for the next build, I will make the boss multi divider a big troll and only happen one per rebirth. If you got bad rng it could completely destroy your run which i think is a bit too cruel even for this challenge.

I think that's a good change. I will say that the troll challenge is the one thing that's made me actually close the game and leave it closed instead of just half-paying attention to it, since leaving it up for a long period had actively bad consequences.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

something posted:

That's awesome and is the main thing preventing me from doing more. Even if every feature gets disabled you can still make some progress, but limiting that troll to one per run means you won't be totally crippled from an overnight run. You probably need to rebuild your time machine and all your blood magic and augments but at least you won't slide backwards in Number if you rebirth and abandon that run.

Also you should make the popups move each time you click one away, or literally fill the screen with 50 dialog boxes. It's too easy to just spam-click them away!

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Sounds like I'll bump magic up some and just keep increasing cap keeping a decent ratio.

I do have the full cave set maxed, and am about halfway done maxing the Magitech set. I have done up to to boss ~85 or so I just think I was playing really really sub optimally until just recently. I have been trying to do 30-60m runs but I am playing pretty casually in the background at work so I am ok with the slower progress. I'll just keep plugging away, I just unlocked NGU and have gotten 10-15 levels in a couple things I really should leave it idling for a day or two on NGU gold or something for a real boost.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

@shs: Any word on any of this?

Also:
  • What effect does smiley/frowny faces have on party members?
  • Why do party members change active item boost on mission swap?
  • Can we get a better party management interface (sort, sets, etc.)?
  • Can you change the "Buy" button to "Max" after a 1-time purchase is made?
  • Can we get a "Open all lootboxes" button?
  • Can you move the "Loyal Bonding" Forge over with the rest of the "for the rest of this mission" buffs?

You can post here and I'll read it, but 99%+ of the people playing the game are on Kongregate so that's where I spend most of my time. It's actually kind of strange watching 200+ people slam themselves into the game.

• Idle party members transfer 50% of their attack to Hero (this is explained on the party screen). If you make a character active you'll lose the attack bonus (until you get a specific mastery) but they'll give bonuses and item boosts and help you fight.
  • If you click the Advanced button it should become clear what the faces mean.
  • Party member item preferences should change every 2 days. But there are a few edge cases that cause them to change early.
  • All of the Max 1 Purchase items are always active forever.
  • Stat consumables carry over between missions.
  • You get 4 monster points per kill. That's it. Buying the mallet makes it 5 (this isn't listed because there's not enough space on menu).
  • Monsters will occasionally seek asylum in your party (it's random between 2.5 and 5 hours)

UI improvements will happen gradually as time goes on. The game is more complex than most people can comprehend and there's a massive volume of information that needs to be displayed, so things take time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
There's a game someone posted in the incremental games subreddit that is apparently a solitary game with an ending, called MONIES^2

There seem to be a few phases to the game, the first phase is unlocking things, then getting ☺s, and upgrading buildings.

It wasn't obvious that I wasn't stalled out after that phase, so the next phase unlocks at 2 Million ♠.