Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

CFD is still strongly single thread limited. Not nearly as badly as most things, but it's often better to have 10 cores at 5ghz vs. 20 cores at 3ghz. Some code sets scale very nicely, where each extra proc gives you 0.97x the previous performance, some code is poo poo and gives you only 0.71x. In some specific cases, it's better to run the code on some hilariously OC'd HEDT proc vs. putting it on the shiny new 90 core quad socket servers.
The very high core count CPUs have tender to be poor choices because they both trade too much mhz and memory bandwidth per core. Everything I've seen points to Eypc performing brilliantly for CFD because of its octo channel memory.

We use Ansys Fluent which claims pretty good linear scaling until quite a low cells per core number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Another way of looking at it is 32 core threadripper already exists and is sold, they call it Epyc. Newegg will sell you ATX motherboards for it, too https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5EM7856411

They could rebrand those parts to try to sell to HEDT with new motherboards, like Intel did with HCC and Skylake X, but the parts are already on the market.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Computex-2018-CaseKing-and-Der8auer-Debut-Phase-Shift-Cooler-AIO-Prototype

Please help, I may actually get a case with a side panel and lighting to show this off.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Core wars

https://twitter.com/david_schor/status/1004198284515270656?s=19

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 6, 2018

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh

quote:

At the AMD press event at Computex, it was revealed that these new processors would have up to 32 cores in total, mirroring the 32-core versions of EPYC. On EPYC, those processors have four active dies, with eight active cores on each die (four for each CCX). On EPYC however, there are eight memory channels, and AMD’s X399 platform only has support for four channels. For the first generation this meant that each of the two active die would have two memory channels attached – in the second generation Threadripper this is still the case: the two now ‘active’ parts of the chip do not have direct memory access. This technically adds latency to the platform, however AMD is of the impression that for all but the most memory bound tasks, this should not be an issue (usually it is suggested to just go buy an EPYC for those workloads). While it does put more pressure on the internal Infinity Fabric, AMD ultimately designed Infinity Fabric for scalable scenarios like this between different silicon with different levels of cache and memory access.

Also announced at the presentation is the state of play of motherboards. According to the motherboard vendors These new Threadripper 2000-series processors will have a peak TDP rating of 250W, which is much higher than 180W we saw on the 1950X. We have been told by partners that the 250W rating is actually conservative, and users should expect lower power consumption in most scenarios.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Current motherboards, too. So I guess the differentiation between Epyc and TR will be the memory situation?

e: yup, looks like it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Haha, the idea of possibly owning a 32-core PC is mind blowing.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, so they're going with this:

Eletriarnation posted:

are we going to just tack on two new dies and force them to go through the first two for all memory accesses?

Since the penalty for indirect access in 1st gen Threadripper from what I remember is roughly double memory latency, I guess I can buy their argument that it's not necessarily that crippling. Benchmarks will tell, at least. I'm more curious to see if there are new 2-die models and if their clocks increase significantly.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Goddamnit, AMD.

I think they're pushing too many cores, way too loving fast, and should realistically be sitting on eight cores for about half a decade or so before pushing mainstream further.

Yeah, I know it's Threadripper, but this makes me feel like AMD's just waiting for Intel to make a move and then BAM, 16 CORE RYZEN.

This logo right here is like, missing crackling lighting, being overlaid a neon wireframe landscape, and a retrowave beat.

edit: something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46crvk9UXlU&t=42s

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 6, 2018

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Haha, the idea of possibly owning a 32-core PC is mind blowing.

I didn't replace my quad core xeon workstation as I was waiting to see what competition between intel and amd would deliver. I'd be quite happy with a 32 core workstation mostly idle running word and for 2d drawing (with occassional CFD workloads running for days).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A 32 core machine would be loving hilarious, but I'd expect it at 2.5x the price of a 16C/32T Threadripper, so meh.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The price of the Epyc chips is pretty drat crazy at the low end so yeah 32 core TR is likely to have an eye bleed price.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Devian666 posted:

The price of the Epyc chips is pretty drat crazy at the low end so yeah 32 core TR is likely to have an eye bleed price.

The multi socket capable EPYCs are pretty expensive but the single socket ones are quite reasonable, there's a 24-core one for $1000.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
poo poo, now I want one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Wow, so I guess they are going with the single-channel-per-CCX thing?

Might not be as bad as people figure since iirc memory is attached by Infinity Fabric anyway? Be interesting to see how it performs, I'm sure for a lot of workstation things it don't matter anyway.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

Wow, so I guess they are going with the single-channel-per-CCX thing?

Might not be as bad as people figure since iirc memory is attached by Infinity Fabric anyway? Be interesting to see how it performs, I'm sure for a lot of workstation things it don't matter anyway.

Sent from my iPad posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh

quote:

At the AMD press event at Computex, it was revealed that these new processors would have up to 32 cores in total, mirroring the 32-core versions of EPYC. On EPYC, those processors have four active dies, with eight active cores on each die (four for each CCX). On EPYC however, there are eight memory channels, and AMD’s X399 platform only has support for four channels. For the first generation this meant that each of the two active die would have two memory channels attached – in the second generation Threadripper this is still the case: the two now ‘active’ parts of the chip do not have direct memory access. This technically adds latency to the platform, however AMD is of the impression that for all but the most memory bound tasks, this should not be an issue (usually it is suggested to just go buy an EPYC for those workloads). While it does put more pressure on the internal Infinity Fabric, AMD ultimately designed Infinity Fabric for scalable scenarios like this between different silicon with different levels of cache and memory access.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do we have any idea when Intel might announce their 8C CFL? I've been holding off on buying a 2700X because I want to see if there's something like a 2800X response prepped for an announcement like that, and I assumed Intel would unveil their CPU at Computex.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
In the land of videogames, are there any games out or coming out in the near future that really would benefit from more than 4 cores?

Battlefield 1 is a cpu hog but even then I don't know if more cores would make a big difference vs. higher clock speeds.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CPUs not having memory access isn't particularly new btw, intel's dual-ring SKUs for broadwell and haswell had no direct memory access on the second ring.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Hmm, I'm not sure I have a reasonable use for 32 cores. I'd rather have 16 at a higher clock speed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Same, but hopefully this kicks 16 cores another notch down in price :v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I was gonna encourage you to be strong and hold the line, but you can see the fluid boiling in the chamber and :stare: uh yeah saaame

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
AMD drags Intel kicking and screaming into offering more cores to consumers, :feelsgoodman:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Munkeymon posted:

I was gonna encourage you to be strong and hold the line, but you can see the fluid boiling in the chamber and :stare: uh yeah saaame

Yea that's loving awesome tbh and I dislike case windows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just watching a GN video about the TR2 cooler from BeQuiet, and he mentioned a 24 core TR2, too, scheduled for August (sounds like the 32 core comes later).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Avalanche posted:

In the land of videogames, are there any games out or coming out in the near future that really would benefit from more than 4 cores?

Maybe soon.

AMD's many-cores works well for people in high end productivity niche or running open-source video compressors or what have you. However, they don't set standards or define the mainstream so most home/gaming software won't make use of it for now. The gaming industry marches to the tune of the blue team, so games may take advantage of six cores now that Intel is offering six-cores in a consumer focused product.

However, just because game software won't take advantage of more cores than Intel is going to support doesn't mean AMD's extra cores are worthless, since you do sometimes run other software alongside games. The latest review trend seems to be "yes, games leave cores at the table and don't reach the peak FPS they do on Intel's fewer, faster cores; but when simultaneously compressing a stream in h264 you'll see the viewers are closer to the stream's targeted framerate, even if the player is getting 80 FPS instead of 95." That's appealing if you're interested in being a streamer on the hobbyist, not-buying-two-PCs-for-this level.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

CPUs not having memory access isn't particularly new btw, intel's dual-ring SKUs for broadwell and haswell had no direct memory access on the second ring.

Dual-ring SKUs were Xeon only though.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

AMD posted:

Threadripper2

:piaa:

Two years ago I was all about trying to build the most effective machines I could: maximizing compute capability with low power usage. Now I want to throw out every machine I own and build something to hold this monster.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

mdxi posted:

Two years ago I was all about trying to build the most effective machines I could: maximizing compute capability with low power usage. Now I want to throw out every machine I own and build something to hold this monster.

It's the monster truck of home computers, you have to build a case that can run over and crush your former, lowly systems.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

The gaming industry marches to the tune of the blue team

Seems pretty specious when both consoles use AMD cpus. I'm sure Sony and MS are not hobbling performance just to kowtow to intel.

The sad truth is that multithreading is difficult, games are not made with the same priorities as server software, and a lot of the tasks that are easy to split out onto their own thread are not the ones that consume the majority of cpu time. 4-core CPUs have been the general point of diminishing returns for games because once you have the main game loop, GPU API, and OS/misc junk on their own cores you're left with pulling work out of the main thread.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Computer Jesus putting Intel on blast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRH0-QwhvVQ

quote:

We talk about Intel's 28-core, 5GHz CPU unveil at Computex, which we found disingenuous and misleading.

Intel used a Xeon processor for its "new" desktop demo, likely the 8176 Xeon CPU, then pretended that the CPU was a brand new desktop part. The company also pushed the narrative of a 5GHz overclock on 28 cores, but neglected to note that they were using a chiller to achieve these temperatures. It's an old CPU -- rebranded as a new one, at that -- and it's overclocked with an unnamed chiller that operated below -10 degrees Celsius.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Also I guess a lot of game engines were built during the long term period of 100% AMD suckage.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

mdxi posted:

Same here, I built one and it is pretty awesome. Running a VM and you want 6 cores for it? Sure why not. Run multiple VMs? One 6 cores the other 4, no worries. I like it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Also I guess a lot of game engines were built during the long term period of 100% AMD suckage.

It is more that even if an engine uses 8 threads it can still bottleneck on a single thread. That single thread is usually the core engine or the thread managing the render calls.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Can't wait to see the power consumption on that "5ghz" CPU before it falls over.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Xae posted:

It is more that even if an engine uses 8 threads it can still bottleneck on a single thread. That single thread is usually the core engine or the thread managing the render calls.

Is there still much of a difference in performance due to Intel compiler shenanigans?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

snickothemule posted:

Can't wait to see the power consumption on that "5ghz" CPU before it falls over.

For the very first and possibly only time ever, those dumbass nuclear reactor comparisons on ayymd come close to having actual merit.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-rome-details-trickle-out-64-cores-128-threads-per-socket/

quote:

First, Rome will have up to 64 cores and 128 threads in a single socket. (Edit June 6, 2018: Mea Culpa. Looks like we got some generational information “confirmed” to us incorrectly. Expect a 48 core / 96 thread generation before a 64 core / 128 thread generation

Am I understanding that wrong or does that mean Zen 2 will have 6 cores per CCX and Zen 3 will get 8 cores? That's assuming Epyc will have the same configuration as it does now.
That would mean 12 core ryzen on AM4 in 2019, and 16 cores in 2020/21 on AM5, with ddr5

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The other option is moving to 3 CCXs then 4 but that adds a different kind of complexity. I guess the question is which has the lowest performance hit and which is easiest to tape out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Seamonster posted:

For the very first and possibly only time ever, those dumbass nuclear reactor comparisons on ayymd come close to having actual merit.

1.21GW TDP, the buttcoiner's wet dream