Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You say shill and I say employee
You say shrilly and I say annoyee
Surely employee, a shrilly annoyee
Let's call the whole thing parp!

You say game and I say a jpeg
You say lame and I say a bad egg
A bad egg, a ragequit, a downvote, a jpeg
Let's call the whole thing parp!

But oh! If we call the whole thing parp,
Then there's no game
And oh! If there's no game,
Then that might break your brain!
So, if you like money and I like your money
I'll take your money and keep all the money
For you know me, like your money so we,
Better call the calling off parp.
Let's call the whole thing parp...sucker.

edit: oh poo poo didn't see this, now I must catte tax:

My kitty Noot, furious with the curtain because she cannot climb to the top and enjoy that sweet perch above the curtain rod.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually they own, hth

And they’re up to something with those dolphins.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

Fingers crossed for X4, it's looking pretty good so far

So did Rebirth.

Edit: i’m cautiously optimistic.

Hav fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 6, 2018

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hav posted:

So did Rebirth.

They seem to have listened to all the complaints about Rebirth, but we'll see

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Bugsmasher is Lead Gameplay Progammer and CIG's Mr. Miyagi as Lead Systems Programmer?

What happend?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Launch that point list into the stimpire.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah but can they get out of their chairs? I didn't think so :smuggo:

Stop being ageist.
You know ED players are all in their fifties and can't get out of that chair.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foo Diddley posted:

Fingers crossed for X4, it's looking pretty good so far

Yes but will Star Wars Mod be ported over to it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Taintrunner posted:

Yes but will Star Wars Mod be ported over to it

Quicker to ask which space games won't have a Star Wars mod

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/zvLz65m.gifv

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Mr.Tophat posted:

You're a resource alright, don't worry about that for even a single frame

Mr.Tophat posted:

Even if that frame does last several seconds

:boom:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
In one of the greatest turnarounds posting history, Tophat turned into a thread hero.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Virtual Captain posted:

I have prepared an evaluation scale for Star Citizens, to help you assess whether he is a good Citizen material or not. Most of the stuff comes from SomethingAwful's scale for webcomic fans however, I made some changes to make it cater more to older retired dudes. Most points are similar, but the scores have been reworked eighteen times.

Positives:
1. Never posted on the refunds subreddit (+1 point)
2. Takes the game seriously and has at least 2 ships (+3 points)
3. Active poster on Spectrum (+3 points)
4. Gives away ship duplicates to friends / disabled people (+5 points)
5. Saves / invests money intelligently (+5 points)
6. Sometimes offers to pay for pizza at dev office (+5 points)
7. Tries to play with HOTAS or fork (+5 points)
8. Pledges every month without being asked (+5 points)
9. Would refuse to shave his neckbeard, even if you requested (+5 points)
10. Always returns for CITCON (+5 points)
11. Massages his Intel Optane without asking (+10 points)
12. Very loyal to Chris Roberts (+10 points)
13. Takes care of Org mates that are rude or mean without complaints (+15 points)
14. Still lives with his parents (+15 points)
15. Pledges weekly or monthly (+20 points)
16. Legatus Navium (+30 points)

Negatives:
17. Ever ran away because of a fight with the Mod team (-2 points)
18. Watches or shows interest in leaked Evocatti videos (-3 points)
19. Didn't back before kickstarter (-3 points)
20. Has played other online games in the last 10 years (-5 points)
21. Ever had thoughts about refunding without any noticeable trigger (-5 points)
22. Doesn't have LTI on every ship (-10 points)
23. Ever had a one-night stand with another game (-10 points)
24. Uses a wheelchair (-15 points)
25. His Org leader hates him (-15 points)
26. Has ever been accused of spreading FUD (-15 points)
27. Doesn't have any referral points (-15 points)
28. Thinks it is okay to look into Freelancer's development (-15 points)
29. Gets into slapsfights when posting online (-20 points)
30. Sells physical backer rewards or swag (-20 points)
31. Cries loudly/fights in public after clipping through geometry (-25 points)
32. Cymelion (-25 points)
33. Has engaged in non-consensual pvp with more than 5 different partners (-25 points)
34. Buys and sells on the grey market (-30 points)
35. Doesn't buy anything on Voyager Direct (-30 points)
36. Doesn't watch Star Citizen streamers (-35 points)
37. Reads Stimpire FanFics (-35 points)
38. Has ever been the mistress of a married Thai man (-40 points)
39. Claims to have been refunded in the past, true or not (-40 points)
40. Doesn't watch AtV (-50 points)
41. Feels grief even after clearing user folder (-70 points)
42. Ever worked as a Idris janitor or prostitute (-71 points)

The calculation process is straightforward: Add all positives, subtract all the negatives.
-50 and below: End the relationship immediately
-49 to -25: You should run away, very little chance of working
-24 to 0: Proceed with caution, possibly bad Citizen
1 to 25: Average Citizen, you can give it a try
26 to 49: Good faithful Citizen, possible ship crew
50 and above: Very special Citizen, take care of him

I was +5 + -390 so -385

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Finally some progress on sataball.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Wise Learned Man posted:

Finally some progress on sataball.

cephalopodball

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Actually they own, hth

Octopuses are smarter than backers any day, they know how to dig up.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

I think I last heard about "gamer ADHD" from the true believers in Elite. The real gamers - the ones companies should build content for - are the ones who replace their lives with the video game and compulsively play it regardless of enjoyment. All the nice pictures of reddit people defending tedium and Chris' stated No Fun vision would be right at home in the Elite forums.

The Titanic posted:

So go play Elite. :)

Buy Elite on deep cut sale and marvel at the great flight model and fun minutia of takeoffs/landings/other things that are interesting the first dozen times. The only things beyond that are headcannon fanfiction and an endless grind.

Tebulot
Apr 25, 2007

im hip now bois

Pillbug
I finally made it to the end!

jk I skipped to the last page what happened

did ben get diabeetus yet

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: Top 4 most expensive virtual goods ever sold!

Montoya is here to give you the long needed sense of proportion when expressing outrage about Macrotransactions.

Posting from the past a little....

I find it really scummy of Montoya to try to downplay something obviously bad with an example of something worse. It is like saying murder is okay because there are people who have committed mass genocide.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Tebulot posted:

I finally made it to the end!

jk I skipped to the last page what happened

did ben get diabeetus yet

Worse, he got shipped off to Maryland.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

VictorianQueerLit posted:

An argument could be made that since this is the best source, hands down, for real information on Star Citizen on the entire internet that includes testimonials from actual former employees and leaks from current employees with realistic and logical breakdowns of the realities of the project that this is the best possible place to install a contrarian retard that just makes poo poo up wholesale simply to push a narrative.

A lot of the stuff you say is so wrong that no reasonable person could actually believe it but it probably does wonders when an uninformed observer finds this thread and reads a bunch of "UM ACTUALLY" from you that creates the impression there is actually a debate or that there is some possibility that what you are saying is right.

You post nowhere else on this site and have dedicated years at this point to being brutally owned, thousands of times, with some of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen entered into any debate, in any context. Calling you a shill is actually one of the more generous ways we could describe you and what you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

ManofManyAliases posted:

Holy poo poo - that statement is idiotic. Even IF I were a shill, I wouldn't spend a modicum of the amount of time on this site as I would on Spectrum and/or Reddit, as those would be the larger pool of targeted audience that I would want.
lol that's paid shills with a plan dude, you're just bitchmade.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Store citizar : Made as bitched

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mailer posted:

I think I last heard about "gamer ADHD" from the true believers in Elite. The real gamers - the ones companies should build content for - are the ones who replace their lives with the video game and compulsively play it regardless of enjoyment. All the nice pictures of reddit people defending tedium and Chris' stated No Fun vision would be right at home in the Elite forums.

Buy Elite on deep cut sale and marvel at the great flight model and fun minutia of takeoffs/landings/other things that are interesting the first dozen times. The only things beyond that are headcannon fanfiction and an endless grind.

But i play ED and enjoy it... does that mean i'm not a real gamer? :O

Also i don't grind, i have all the ships i want....

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

:ED reddit: posted:

I hadn't played in a long long while, not sure why, got involved in other things. I loved it back then, too. Decided to reinstall and check it out again and gently caress me, I'm consumed. Sure, im in the second honeymoon phase and I bet theres lots yall can complain about but truth be told, game is pretty fuckin good.
There's no shipost flair...

I personally haven't dived back into ED since you could build Guardian parts. But personally comments like these should be reserved for the BDSSE (Star Citizen) and not Elite Dangerous, the Star Citizen clone.

C'mon guys. Star Citizen is going into Alpha THREE TWO, and Elite just announced that THREE POINT ONE is coming in June 22. Star Citizen has one upped E.D. yet again, and is proved to be the more superior product.

Buy an Idris already goddammit.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

But i play ED and enjoy it... does that mean i'm not a real gamer? :O

Also i don't grind, i have all the ships i want....

Apparently, you are not allowed to have fun in E:D, according to game designers, because it's bad.

I have nonetheless, so :hfive:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mailer posted:

gamers- the ones companies should build content for - are the ones who replace their lives with the video game and compulsively play it regardless of enjoyment.

Please don't doxx me.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Thoatse posted:

I was +5 + -390 so -385

quote:

Would refuse to shave his neckbeard, even if you requested (+5 points)
:thumbsup::same::thumbsup:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

Please don't doxx me.

To be fair, i already had the Hotas and trackir from many years of failing to land planes, so the $300 was already in a hole.

Slightly more seriously, ED is partway through a storytelling arc that pits the players against the thargoids, bridging the themepark and sandbox. Some people think this is falling short, but that’s fine, it’s actually released.

See, there’s this conceit that SC is taking it’s time because it’s going to be something bigger, but there’s a problem in actually describing what it’s going to be because that changes. Describe a profession, any profession, then tell me how you make money doing it. Those are some of the most basic things outside of the flight model that they need to get right.

Hav fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 6, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Hav posted:

To be fair, i already had the Hotas and trackir from many years of failing to land planes, so the $300 was already in a hole.

Slightly more seriously, ED is partway through a storytelling arc that pits the players against the thargoids, bridging the themepark and sandbox. Some people think this is falling short, but that’s fine, it’s actually released.

See, there’s this conceit that SC is taking it’s time because it’s going to be something bigger, but there’s a problem in actually describing what it’s going to be because that changes. Describe a profession, any profession, then tell me how you make money doing it. Those are some of the most basic things outside of the flight model that they need to get right.

That's one of the things I think is fundamentally broken in Elite. I tried making money with trade, but I don't sperg in that direction. Piracy and Bounty Hunting are more fun, but the money trickle is very slow. So I got in with a few of my buddies who were just flush with credits, and I'm asking them how they managed to get hundreds of billions of credits when I was struggling in the low millions. They asked what I was doing, I told them, and, not in so many words, they responded "you're playing it wrong, let us show you what to do."

So they walked me through this very specific process they had for gaming the mission system and doing this or that horrifyingly dull activity that, admittedly, ramped up credits fast, but took all the joy out of the game.

So to me the choice was "have a small amount of fun but stagnate and go nowhere" or "do this incredibly tedious thing that is the opposite of fun but will make you rich" and I took option 3 - stop playing. I didn't see the point of being rich if the fun never came.

I'm still waiting for something to come of the experience. Elite is the best almost-great game I have. I supposed it's just targeted at the hardcore simmers that want a game that, like life itself, ultimately has no purpose except the one you define yourself.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, if you *want* to fly big ships in elite, that grind has to be done once, and can be done in a week of logging in every evening for an hour or two when a good mission exploit is available, so it might as well be done that way.

And then you're done and never have to do it again because you're sitting in so much money you can buy everything a few times over.

Yes, it's bad, it's dumb, but it's also a one time thing you go through and then never have to touch again. Since I find elite a lot of fun to dick around in otherwise, I did my grind a year or two ago and now I can do whatever whenever and never worry about credits and I'm ok with that.

It does make the game less accessible and it'd absolutely be better off without that poo poo, but if you like the rest of the game and want to fly big ships, it's not the most horrible way of catching up on your favourite anime shows. :v:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Is Star Citizen more or less Pay2Win than WH40k? :thunk:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
same poo poo, different medium, imo

star citizen has jpegs, warhammer has objs

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Truga posted:

same poo poo, different medium, imo

star citizen has jpegs, warhammer has objs
Warhammer 40k is for many identical. The game is/was floated by whales and there were photos of them buying boxes and boxes of models only to shelve them, still in their wrap.

Actually I just realized I've kickstarted multiple minis games only to receive the box and not even assemble them... am I.... am I store citizer?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

Warhammer 40k is for many identical. The game is/was floated by whales and there were photos of them buying boxes and boxes of models only to shelve them, still in their wrap.

Actually I just realized I've kickstarted multiple minis games only to receive the box and not even assemble them... am I.... am I store citizer?

Wh40k was kicked off in the eighties, and none of us were whales.

If people are buying shrinkwrap, they’re hedging against future scarcity; GW decided to dump it’s entire fantasy line in favor of a reboot that worked on skirmish rules and heroes, which was a streamlining move that pissed off a core of the regimental wargame player, and has led to a fairly stubborn group of people revising the last set of rules for it.

Amusingly, the total warhammer game is now the only place where that lore is moving and it’s proving quite popular.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Scruffpuff posted:

That's one of the things I think is fundamentally broken in Elite. I tried making money with trade, but I don't sperg in that direction. Piracy and Bounty Hunting are more fun, but the money trickle is very slow. So I got in with a few of my buddies who were just flush with credits, and I'm asking them how they managed to get hundreds of billions of credits when I was struggling in the low millions. They asked what I was doing, I told them, and, not in so many words, they responded "you're playing it wrong, let us show you what to do."

So they walked me through this very specific process they had for gaming the mission system and doing this or that horrifyingly dull activity that, admittedly, ramped up credits fast, but took all the joy out of the game.

So to me the choice was "have a small amount of fun but stagnate and go nowhere" or "do this incredibly tedious thing that is the opposite of fun but will make you rich" and I took option 3 - stop playing. I didn't see the point of being rich if the fun never came.

I'm still waiting for something to come of the experience. Elite is the best almost-great game I have. I supposed it's just targeted at the hardcore simmers that want a game that, like life itself, ultimately has no purpose except the one you define yourself.

I returned to No Mans Sky recently and it's become a decent experience for relaxing. I'm not rich enough to buy a 50mil ship or 170mil freighter, but I can find a good balance of "fun doing just what I want" and still getting some results/progression from it. Granted it's single player and the novelty will wear off once repetition kicks in, but the post-launch content will be good 30-40 hours of fun/relaxing for free.

I have a friend to try out the new coop expansion when it lands, but I'm on a mindset of low expectation. There are no alternatives anyways, since Star Citizen will never come anywhere close to NMS and the ED reports are not particular exciting.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
And Vermintide, a really great coop rat murder sim.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Saint Drogo posted:

lol that's paid shills with a plan dude, you're just bitchmade.

No, see whenever we have leaks or CIG is getting bad press he just comes here to make poo poo up about secret game versions that don't exist, legal arguments that are objectively wrong in any universe or inside knowledge he swears is real with 100% confidence that he doesn't have that is never right, with no ulterior motives.

"Hahaha CIG is hosed and the thread is exploding with people at this (lawsuit, bad demo, missed release, bug infested mess, inside leak, negative press)"
"UM ACTUALLY I visited the offices and saw that Squadron 42 is actually almost done. I also know an employee who said the game is good and that things are better than advertised. *looks at huge lurking audience* As this huge sale approaches remember that I have proof that the dream is real and that We will be landing on planets in 2016. I have spent thousands of dollars and am happy. I am 100% certain that it's a good idea to keep spending money as these sales continue, quote the poo poo out of this because I am so certain it's a good idea to keep spending money."

All that's missing is a store link to a loving $800 space ice cream truck. CIG has been said to read this thread and we know backers read it obsessively so "Why would a shill post here?" is pretty rich in the single biggest source of news for this scam that a large number of the big spending backers read.

I hope as this poo poo explodes into a supernova of lawsuits that we actually find out about how much money was spent astroturfing online communities and streams over this dead on arrival crysis mod.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm not personally looking for escapism as an interstellar truck driver, but I find the intersection of balancing a few things while keep an eye over my shoulder to hit a sweet spot for relaxation, and that generally doesn't involve min-maxing the background simulation. I *am* grinding for access to Sol, but when I grind, I lightly buff because I'm not min-maxing. In fact, I'm currently doing a grand tour, which consists of hitting a list of systems, looking for high metal or earth-likes, which I periodically dump whereever the Diamond Frogs tell me too.

I'm seeing the sights ('they're all the same!', 'No, I know these stars from telescopes and charts, I'm visiting simulations of the things I grew up dreaming about') and honking a lot, then bedding down on something scenic and close to a body. Occasionally I'll drive around; I've 'saved' four escape pods so far.

It's not really that different from any MMO; you need friends to provide structure and cues - I personally would have fed you a couple of million in diamonds to get you into something slightly more fun, but it is effectively a big dead place ~ I believe I've made this point before, if you have a huge game world out of proportion to the travel speed, you're going to hit a big empty really quickly. NMS actually underlined that problem to the extent where their exploration game has _base building_.

Can't disagree with anything you said, just giving my perspective. But then I spent the weekend trying to understand the flight systems of the Su-25T, tessalated with an ongoing genocide against anyone called 'raider' in Fallout 4.