Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The worst boss, at least in Bloodborne, is *standard enemy but with a lot of health*, found exclusively in the chalice. As much as I don't like the Defiled bosses, they aren't quite that lazy.

Did you forget Defiled Amygdala? That's about a solid 5 minutes of tedious taint tickling because if you get hit twice you're donezos, and it's Amygdala so A. you've probably seen this fight before and B. there's not enough going on to keep it fresh for that long.

Also hearing that Remastered didn't touch Izalith at all is a shame. Don't see much reason to pick it up short of really like DaS1's specific PvP stuff, or I guess if you've never played it whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Bloodletting Beast was the bane of my existence until I got the pattern down then I started beating all of its versions either without getting hit or only hit a few times. It felt really drat good. Same thing with the Watchdog. Nothing like seeing your progress from zero to masterclass hunter. Though, I will say that Bloodborne did show the limitations of the camera when dealing with fast-moving large enemies, especially ones you can run under. They have to pull that stuff back so you don't get turned around.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

TGLT posted:

Did you forget Defiled Amygdala? That's about a solid 5 minutes of tedious taint tickling because if you get hit twice you're donezos, and it's Amygdala so A. you've probably seen this fight before and B. there's not enough going on to keep it fresh for that long.

Also hearing that Remastered didn't touch Izalith at all is a shame. Don't see much reason to pick it up short of really like DaS1's specific PvP stuff, or I guess if you've never played it whatsoever.

Defiled Amygdala is in fact one of the aforementioned Defiled bosses, yes.

It's a worse experience trying to bang your head past either of the Defiled bosses but I'd still rank them above "here's a giant pig but with a boss meter."

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Defiled Amygdala is in fact one of the aforementioned Defiled bosses, yes.

It's a worse experience trying to bang your head past either of the Defiled bosses but I'd still rank them above "here's a giant pig but with a boss meter."

It was also only one of the three that was already a boss from outside the Chalice dungeons. Thinking about it, Keeper shows up as a regular enemy in the dungeons sometimes too but I'll give that one at least feels like it was a boss fight first and a regular enemy second.

I dunno, I'd take a million pigs over Defiled Amygdala. At least the pig dies quick. edit: poo poo I'll even throw out that base rear end Amygdala is a worse boss fight since it's pretty trivial to render yourself safe. At least you can't defeat any of the pig's big damage moves by just not moving.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 5, 2018

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

TGLT posted:

I dunno, I'd take a million pigs over Defiled Amygdala. At least the pig dies quick. edit: poo poo I'll even throw out that base rear end Amygdala is a worse boss fight since it's pretty trivial to render yourself safe. At least you can't defeat any of the pig's big damage moves by just not moving.
Base Amygdala is a great boss specifically for the learning process. It's very frightening, with huge reach, lots of attack patterns, and very big, moves, but the ideal strategy requires you to not panic. On top of that it's still very doable, and satisfying, if you don't do the trick and spend all your time dodging in and out of range. It a really good boss.

Defiled Amygdala is "Amygdala, but in a tiny room and you have 1/2 HP so you can afford to make half a mistake exactly once."

I mean, if we really want to dig into the Chalice bosses, Rom in a room full of pillars that ruin the pathing of all his spiders is hilarious.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
IMPORTANT INTERNET CRITIC CONTENT!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKvMFD_edCU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FoldableHuman posted:

Oooh, solid pick since Pinwheel really ties into multiple problems.

• Blocked by mid level skeletons that discourage exploration of the grave yard, leading many players to avoid the area entirely until they have the Lordvessel
• entrance to the tomb is a narrow path so steep that many players never find it because it just looks like the edge of the cliff until you're right to the edge, and there's nowhere else that gives you a vantage calling attention to it
• as a consequence most players are 20+ levels beyond Pinwheel by the time they get there
• even at-level is still a pretty easy fight
• even knowing all of the above there's still no compelling reason to face Pinwheel until you're headed to Nito unless you somehow know so much about the game that you're aware Pinwheel drops the Rite of Kindling, but are also otherwise stuck in such a way that kindling a bonfire up to 15 will get you un-stuck (which is itself contingent on having a giant pile of Humanity, but also being stuck?)

I went past Pinwheel before I was ready to face Nito, because that's where the advanced faith trainer is. If you want cleric spells, you gotta head down there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

What do you think is the worst boss? Royal Rat Authority? Micolash? The Maneaters?

If by "worst" you mean "hardest and most unfair" it's the 3 NPC hunters you fight at once by the lamp in Yahar'gul.

At least they stay dead forever if you kill them because fighting all 3 at once is INSANELY hard.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Gotta be Old Monk. Interesting concept, did not work well and was open to abuse by wankers with Scraping Spears.

Done much better in DS2 with the Mirror Knight, with the invasions able to be countered by an aggressive enough player.

The Hydras in DS1's Darkroot Basin/Ash Lake were pretty rear end as well.

Edit: I remember a lot of people swearing blind that the Smelter Demon from DS2 was the worst boss in the series. Never understood that, he was that game's Ornstein/Smough: the fight that lets you know the game's gonna stop pulling it's punches and punishes you for not paying attention. Old Iron King right after was way more irritating a fight.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WampaLord posted:

If by "worst" you mean "hardest and most unfair" it's the 3 NPC hunters you fight at once by the lamp in Yahar'gul.

At least they stay dead forever if you kill them because fighting all 3 at once is INSANELY hard.

can kite them to fight 1 on 1 (there's a similar fight in the duke's archives in ds3 that you can do the same thing with).

worst boss is Covetous Demon in ds2. to the point none of you even remembered it existed until you read my post.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 6, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

FoldableHuman posted:

Base Amygdala is a great boss specifically for the learning process. It's very frightening, with huge reach, lots of attack patterns, and very big, moves, but the ideal strategy requires you to not panic. On top of that it's still very doable, and satisfying, if you don't do the trick and spend all your time dodging in and out of range. It a really good boss.

Defiled Amygdala is "Amygdala, but in a tiny room and you have 1/2 HP so you can afford to make half a mistake exactly once."

Okay maybe base Amygdala's not as bad as the dumb pig, but it still doesn't really make sense that the correct choice when it's trying to jump on top of you is to stop moving. It's also a bit disappointing for a post-Vicar optional boss fight, or at least it was to me. I was expecting more after the Nightmare Lecture Hall/Frontier. I'll give its stage transition was pretty neat at least even if it just amounted to "has more reach now"

The Defiled Amygdala's room is actually pretty big, but it has 3.5x HP so you're going to be spending all of the fight right under it since fuuuck hitting it enough to get it to half health just to die in two hits.

Groovelord Neato posted:

worst boss is Covetous Demon in ds2. to the point none of you even remembered it existed until you read my post.

wrong, covetous demon unequips your armor and that is funny and memorable

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

had no idea it could do that, i'm guessing if you stick to the front? i just slashed the slides until it died. always wondered about the name. also wondered why it was a boss and not just a tough normal enemy.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, if you get nabbed by the tongue attack it swallows you up then spits you out naked. It's definitely more tough enemy than boss material though, but it's hardly the only DaS2 base game boss like that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SteelMentor posted:

Gotta be Old Monk. Interesting concept, did not work well and was open to abuse by wankers with Scraping Spears.

I miss the Scraping Spear more every game, the best part of invasions was always finding goofy ways to screw people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Find politics confusing? It's time for some game theory.

Points, Actions, and Marginal Votes - The Game of Elections - Extra Politics - #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm-L9cIRdmY

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I WANT MY GODDAMN PINWHEELS

rip Angry Grandpa

I cannot add anymore to the conversation.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Points, Actions, and Marginal Votes - The Game of Elections - Extra Politics - #1

Game Theory? Speaking of that wanker, he made a video about how he gives up on FNAF cause it stumps him. I guess that means its his final final FINAL for realsies final FNAF theory... right?

"Oh don't worry, the answer will come in a few days"

kay dude. Guess riding Logan Paul didn't pay the bills this month.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leal posted:

Game Theory? Speaking of that wanker, he made a video about how he gives up on FNAF cause it stumps him. I guess that means its his final final FINAL for realsies final FNAF theory... right?

"Oh don't worry, the answer will come in a few days"

kay dude. Guess riding Logan Paul didn't pay the bills this month.

I was alluding to another meme. :geno:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Clowning on MatPat is always relevant!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Did he really throw a copy of Undertale at the Pope?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

I WANT MY GODDAMN PINWHEELS

rip Angry Grandpa

I cannot add anymore to the conversation.

Sometimes, you gotta just blink and scroll and hope someone posts a more interesting video.

Or post a more interesting video I guess.

(I got nothin)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

lol at a bunch of comments being "Thank GOD you're just talking about politics without including all this ~MODERN CONTROVERSY~" and "Oh boy a video about politics that's not about all that ~ideological~ stuff" and "It's so refreshing to see such an ~unbiased~ explanation" making it so easy to spot the ashamed right wingers, status quo shills and BUT THE MIDDLE GROUND cultists.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That is a cursed loving video and you will never get me to click on it.

They're so dumb/shallow when it comes to games stuff, I can't even imagine how hot their political takes are.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WampaLord posted:

They're so dumb/shallow when it comes to games stuff, I can't even imagine how hot their political takes are.

Some like it hot. :v:

It's probably the last series with high-pitched Dan in it, too, recorded before he left.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, I'm sure if he met the Pope this year he would've given the guy a Fortnite code.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FoldableHuman posted:

I mean, if we really want to dig into the Chalice bosses, Rom in a room full of pillars that ruin the pathing of all his spiders is hilarious.

also it's got, you know, a roof and stuff, so you cant see where her meteors are coming from :discourse:
worst boss in my book might be Oceiros from DS3. his charge attack is broken as hell with quite literally no wind-up, phantom hitboxes for days, and enough damage to easily insta-kill you. the runback to fight him, while not the worst in the series, is still pretty annoying and what's worse is that they hid one of the best bosses in the game behind his randomly-flailing rear end.

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 6, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Leal posted:

Yes, I'm sure if he met the Pope this year he would've given the guy a Fortnite code.

im sure theres a tower of babylon joke here

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

nine-gear crow posted:

No, if you watch through the whole video, he says at some point near the end that he didn't actually give the Pope Undertale. In fact, I don't think there was anyway for him to actually do so (since I think Undertale didn't have a physical release at that point).

Then again...

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Max Wilco posted:

No, if you watch through the whole video, he says at some point near the end that he didn't actually give the Pope Undertale. In fact, I don't think there was anyway for him to actually do so (since I think Undertale didn't have a physical release at that point).

I'm pretty sure that's a misinterpretation of the video. He actually did give the Pope a Steam code for Undertale. What he explains at the end of the video is that he doesn't actually expect the Pope to play it, and intended it entirely as a symbolic gesture.

The really baffling thing is that someone invited the Game Theory guy to an event where he met with the Pope, presumably by mistake.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

My guess was that Scholas Occurentes was more picky on the idea of getting youtubers who did a thing but also were of a certain region, and that MatPat's general description from the network was non-controversial and not too big. If you were to bill the idea of who MatPat was to a Not Online person in the most positive of aspects, you'd get "Well, he is a somewhat known educator, who uses videogames as a springboard to teach others about several disciplines in an approachable way to the youth of today". "Hey, this is the kind of person who has a Minecraft video where he berates his audience as being virgin losers for not picking Dating Sims for a subject matter" wasn't exactly on top priorities and I doubt Endemol (Which part owns MatPat's channel) would straight up warn them about that.

If you were to choose someone else who'd be a bit more appropriate for a mission to show The Pope/The Vatican a good summary of what Youtube has to offer in a positive way, chances are you'd get "The VlogBrothers and some people from other countries??? Oh here's a beauty blogger from Saudi Arabia but WHATEVER hey John, tell us mooore about Crash Course"

This approach is also painted by mainstream advertising on the European Mediterrean on internet matters that isn't straight up Extremely online having to cater to a way, way older average audience so you get people who put "Did you know that there's a media class around entirely based on the internet? Here's one telling you About This Obscure Concept of Wifi!" in the year 2018, to the point of being somewhat insulting to the audience's intelligence.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 6, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

What people don't talk about is that the Pope actually played the game, loved it and is now an avid streamer on Twitch. He plays Duos with SodaPoppin and IRL streams Holy Communion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WampaLord posted:

lol @ their video saying fallout 3 was better about storytelling than new vegas.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol @ their video saying fallout 3 was better about storytelling than new vegas.

What the gently caress. How the gently caress did they justify that claim?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SpiritOfLenin posted:

FO3 left so much more to the imagination?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

SpiritOfLenin posted:

They just covered the way both games began and were super impressed with FO3's immersive character-creation thing.

Edit: Here's the video. They also bag on New Vegas for using the amnesia cliche, because you don't get to see your character grow in real time. I don't buy it either.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 6, 2018

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

*Yakko Warner Voice* Why didn't Ron Gilbert devote an entire diskette or two to Guybrush Threepwood coming out of his mother and slowly learn what words are, how to hold his breath for 10 minutes and constantly refer to his older brother and the intent to go to a theme park

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If they think NV’s character has amnesia they didn’t understand NV.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is a very appropriate Ross clip on this particular nerd issue.

Doesn't matter if the content is good or not, just that you get more content. Exhibits A) anime fans, B) Star Wars expanded universe fans C) MisterBibs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they also used league of legends in their video of competitive balance and that's one of the all time worst examples to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LoL was just barely behind 40k in terms of "intentionally make the new product overpowered to make it sell better".