Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t forget Skyline!

Actually, forget Skyline.

But then you won't remember the sequel Silat vs Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9O7ygZmhRE

Spoilers for Beyond Skyline, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gnome de plume posted:

Bit of an odd premise, I can imagine why it never took off.

It would have been a great directorial baptism for Christian Rivers

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

David Fincher came from music videos.

I thought he started off on effects photography at ILM or something.

e: Yup.

quote:

Fincher was employed at Korty Films as a production head. He moved up the ranks and became a visual effects producer, working on the animated Twice Upon a Time (1983). He was hired by Industrial Light & Magic in 1983 as an assistant cameraman and matte photographer, and worked on Return of the Jedi (1983) and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984).

Then directing commercials and music videos, so it wasn't a long effects career, but still.

ee: Look at the lil' guy :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQRcnQD-tHM&t=405s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 6, 2018

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

kiimo posted:

It would have been a great directorial baptism for Christian Rivers

But instead his career got circumcised by a studio mohel

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought he started off on effects photography at ILM or something.

e: Yup.

Then directing commercials and music videos, so it wasn't a long effects career, but still.

ee: Look at the lil' guy :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQRcnQD-tHM&t=405s

I dunno, doing matte paintings for a year doesn't strike me as a start, nor qualify him as an effects > director career switch.

As a filmmaker he got his start doing music videos and it's pretty clear cut.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

This looks anime as gently caress. I want Peter Jackson to make the Attack on Titan hollywood version now.

I don't watch a lot of anime but it instantly makes me think of both Howl's Moving Castle and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno, doing matte paintings for a year doesn't strike me as a start, nor qualify him as an effects > director career switch.

As a filmmaker he got his start doing music videos and it's pretty clear cut.

You start as a hired goon and work your way up slowly and painfully as you meet more people.

“Hey you know lil Davey here makes his own movies? He was telling that to me while he was painting some Endor Trees!”

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

“Hey you know lil Davey here makes his own movies? He was telling that to me while he was painting some Endor Trees!”

I'm the ewok on the speeder bike.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cameron was more art direction/set design right? Worked on Galaxy of Terror.

(Coincidentally that's also how Ridley Scott got started.)

Ridley Scott did commercials. He got The Duelists mainly on the strength of his famous advert for Hovis bread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Same with Alan Parker, as I recall. It was a beer advert in his case.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Hbz2jLxvQ

Hype status: pretty dang hyped.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Is that Spidersman trailer supposed to be in 3D? There was a lot of blurry.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Here's a trailer for a trailer.
https://twitter.com/halloweenmovie/status/1004377376644423680

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really want a live action adaptation of this story just so we can see all three Spider-actors on screen at once.

This looks pretty dope tho and I'm glad Miles Morales is getting some screen time.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 6, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

clown shoes posted:

Is that Spidersman trailer supposed to be in 3D? There was a lot of blurry.

Chromatic aberration, it's pretty awful.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Looking forward to this seventeenth reboot of a classic horror. Surely this one will not suck.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well this shows loving nothing lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSbzyEJ8X9E

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

That is loving hilarious casting. Awesome.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ozmunkeh posted:

Looking forward to this seventeenth reboot of a classic horror. Surely this one will not suck.

They got John Carpenter for the soundtrack, so that part will be good at least.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ozmunkeh posted:

Carpenter's involved, and David Gordon Green is directing with him and Danny McBride writing. It's also a Blumhouse joint.

Pretty solid odds this Halloween reboot is going to actually extremely own.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Carpenter's involved, and David Gordon Green is directing with him and Danny McBride writing. It's also a Blumhouse joint.

Pretty solid odds this Halloween reboot is going to actually extremely own.

That's my thought.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Where's my Halloween III reboot. Syke that movie is loving perfect.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I kinda wonder if anyone would have recognized Lady Gaga if they went by her real name instead.

:nws: for tits and butt and I think some nipple, but this looks kinda awful but possibly hilariously so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ2KJtiNZ0U

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

I kinda wonder if anyone would have recognized Lady Gaga if they went by her real name instead.

I instantly recognized her because she does a lot of stuff "out of character", but I mean, she has a very distinct voice.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is the author of London Fields a Motley Crue fan or what

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gazaar posted:

Where's my Halloween III reboot. Syke that movie is loving perfect.
Four more months til Halloween 2018
Halloween 2018, Halloween 2018
Four more months til Halloween 2018
Sil-ver Shamrock

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hahahaha

what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

Is the author of London Fields a Motley Crue fan or what

he's a total dipshit, so probably

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I don't usually think "This looks like it's trying to be Oscar bait" but this looks like it's trying to be Oscar bait.

Didn't both of the previous versions of this movie win a bunch of Oscars already?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

:nws: for tits and butt and I think some nipple, but this looks kinda awful but possibly hilariously so.

This was made in 2014. Meaning the studio had 4 years to find a way to cut Johnny Depp out of it, but decided to keep him in out of spite of everyone involved in it. Amazing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't both of the previous versions of this movie win a bunch of Oscars already?

The 70's one was apparently a critical flop, but won Best Song at the Oscars and cleaned up on Golden Globes.
1954 is the great one.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't usually think "This looks like it's trying to be Oscar bait" but this looks like it's trying to be Oscar bait.

There are actually 3 previous versions, the original was 1937

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
London Fields is based on a fantastic Martin Amis novel. I want to see how much of the batshit crazy they get on screen.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

GrandpaPants posted:

You know a movie's gonna be good when it misspells one of its actor's names in the trailer.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LesterGroans posted:

You know a movie's gonna be good when it misspells one of its actor's names in the trailer.

Oh wooow, that's bad.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

kiimo posted:

Can someone explain to me how on his deathbed Adam Yauch had everyone promise not to use Beastie Boys music for advertising and yet here we are? Did they just say yeah we'll decide if something is good enough? I'm not complaining just curious if anyone knows the deal on that.

I believe the rule they all agreed on was to not use it in commercials to sell a product. Licensed for a movie was fine.

I'm sure you can argue what's the difference if it's in a trailer, but I'm not sure how all that works. Presumably licensing it for the movie means they can also use it in advertising for that movie? I dunno.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQCzrUIxapw

Wish Roony Mara was in it, and LMAO for the funniest MMMMMM sound from the Mummy trailer making an appearance towards the end of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Claire Foy looks mega goofy here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LesterGroans posted:

It's great sign when event the trailer pulls an Abraxus (sic): Guardian of the Universe.