Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

The other day I picked up an i30 SR. Sure, it's not as quick as the N, but it's putting a pretty drat big grin on my face. A pretty decent upgrade from a 2009 Impreza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

H13 posted:

The other day I picked up an i30 SR. Sure, it's not as quick as the N, but it's putting a pretty drat big grin on my face. A pretty decent upgrade from a 2009 Impreza.

It’s sorta sad we don’t get these smallish Hyundais in the US. I drove an i10 for ten days in the UK and it wasn’t a hateful little thing.

Yay manual!

Yay manual!

Yay manual!

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003

H13 posted:

Would love to hear some in depth thoughts on the car once you’ve had it a few weeks. I’ve been eyeing this (well ‘Elantra Sport GT in Canada) myself.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

We don't even get that in the US.
I guess it's the usual "wagons don't sell (gajillions)" bullshit.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Darchangel posted:

We don't even get that in the US.
I guess it's the usual "wagons don't sell (gajillions)" bullshit.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra-gt/index.aspx

We get the Elantra GT in Sport trim, which is the 1.6 turbo, and it actually is an i30 it's just marketed as an Elantra. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_i30

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Bajaha posted:

My point stands, that's a Mercedes Cosworth, not your basic Merc :colbert:

But really, what were the complaints against the Merc manuals? I just remember hearing unrefined and not really fitting for the cars they went in. Kind of a moot point nowadays as it's been pointed out Mercedes doesn't really do manuals anymore.

Probably just manuals are for plebs.
I can't see how they couldn't fit a getrag or zf in a merc; it's more like the owners didn't want to have to shift gears once autos got better than 3spd/3spd with overdrive.
Same poo poo with my car, heaps of manuals with bmw m20 and m30 because the alternative was a poo poo auto. When the 5spd auto zf became standard, no one wanted the 5spd manual just because.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fo3 posted:

Probably just manuals are for plebs.
I can't see how they couldn't fit a getrag or zf in a merc
You can't have the COMAND gadget if you have a manual shifter, so it limits the 'luxury' you can pack into the car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hansolio posted:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra-gt/index.aspx

We get the Elantra GT in Sport trim, which is the 1.6 turbo, and it actually is an i30 it's just marketed as an Elantra. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_i30

Huh. Maybe I'm thinking of the i30N 3-door?
I wonder if my wife would be receptive to replacing her Kia Spectra5 with the Elantra GT 5-door. Same car, just updated and the Hyundai variant + turbo.

edit: oooo, the turbo is available in the Forte5, too. Think she wants a hamster Soul anyway... which also has the turbo. Sweet.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 25, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Having driven them back to back the M3 shifts way nicer despite sharing the gearbox, very noticeable difference between them.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cheers for the compliments :)

Banana_Boy posted:

Would love to hear some in depth thoughts on the car once you’ve had it a few weeks. I’ve been eyeing this (well ‘Elantra Sport GT in Canada) myself.

I picked it up on Wednesday and been putting 100k through it every day since. Mostly because I adore it. The best way I can describe the car is "accommodating". The gearbox is super smooth and the ride below 2000RPM is very civilised and polite. It's got 6 gears as well so if you want to be polite, it's easy to whack it in a higher gear and calmly drive around. The suspension is a tad firm (compared to my Impreza if it's worth anything) but it's still very comfortable. The interior has a bit of personality with the red seatbelts and red trim everywhere (which looks way better in person. The photos make it look plasticky and tacky which it kinda does around the A\C but everywhere else it looks great) so it's a pleasant place to be. It's quiet as well. I got mine with the sunroof and that's something I love (but it's my first time with a sunroof)

BUT:

When you decide you want to have some fun, you drop it down a bit, push the revs outside 2k and the turbo kicks in. I know 150kw isn't a huge amount of power but it feels monstrous compared to the 100 odd that I had in my Impreza. The acceleration is smooth but you do get this buildup of power in your guts as you get pushed back into your seat which is currently putting a poo poo-eating grin on my face. The engine note starts to burble into the cabin and then the slightly firmer suspension makes perfect sense when you dive into some corners. That firmness gives you plenty of information as to what your wheels are doing. I think I've only touched the edge of the handling once or twice (still playing nice with the car!) but it handles better than the Impreza even though it's only FWD (I'd argue that the Impreza would probably be better if you got into an "oh-poo poo" situation, but it looks like the i30 can be pushed further). There's been once or twice where I THINK I felt it understeer a bit, but I'm still kinda getting used to the handling so it may have been me. If it was understeering, it was very minor. Either way, sticking the boots in definitely livens up and the car seems to be enjoying itself as much as you do and that little engine seems to like being given a kick in the guts every now and then.

Then once the roads straighten out, you whack it in 6th, settle back and it'll happily cruise along doing 100 at around 2000rpm without standing out from the crowd.

The only negatives I've managed to find are:
- Stereo is a bit meh? You feel like you're driving into the music rather than feeling like the music is around you like a soundtrack. I'm gonna mess with the audio settings and see if I can get it to be happy, but I might ask about upgrading the stereo in a week or so.
- Brakes aren't as good as my Impreza (but they were pretty heavy brakes)
- The car is so smooth that it's a bit hard to find the friction point with the clutch and a bit tricky to find where the power curve is for when you want to throw it around a bit. I guess I'm just gonna have to drive it more? :D

I'm aware that in this thread there are significantly nicer and more powerful cars than what I've got here (I'm gonna be jealous of any N drivers I see). I'm also aware that there are going to be many drivers who are way better than me who could take more advantage of this car than I could. However at the end of the day, I'm comfortable and happy when driving to work, I got a big poo poo-eating grin on my face through the twisties and I'm getting more performance out of it than I was my Impreza. Happy as pig in poo poo.

H13 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 26, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Drove one across the country, the manual feel was loving horrible garbage. Made old S series Saturn shifters feel good, by comparison. Dogleg didn't have enough cool points to beat its melting spork stirring ball bearings feel.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

I've got a 09 C with a manual and yeah its meh at best. I wouldn't call it sporting in the least. Feels like stirring gravel and vague as hell. if it had a decent trans then I think it would be a kinda fun car. Not gonna win any races or anything but fun to drive the backroads.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

Drove one across the country, the manual feel was loving horrible garbage. Made old S series Saturn shifters feel good, by comparison. Dogleg didn't have enough cool points to beat its melting spork stirring ball bearings feel.

I thought it could have been better if the bushings were freshened up. But yeah, it was never gonna be an S2000. I've driven much worse.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

kimbo305 posted:

I thought it could have been better if the bushings were freshened up. But yeah, it was never gonna be an S2000. I've driven much worse.

Scary thing is I remember reading it was similar to the one in the E30 M3.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

Scary thing is I remember reading it was similar to the one in the E30 M3.

I think that speaks to how much feel is between the transmission and the shifter.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Just hit 2k on the Poop Troupe!

Here it is after a 750 mile roadtrip back safely in the garage. 85mph Roadtrip netted 21.7 MPG which is much better than my picking up daughter from daycare 11.8 MPG average. We're at 16.2 MPG for the first 2k miles of the Charger. Time to change the oil and send it to Blackstone.

It's a hell of a car.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Very nice.

About the same mileage I've been getting in the ZL1. Lifetime average so far is 15.5. I was able to get 21-22 on a road trip last weekend. 11ish is about right around town only.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That thing is pretty awesome.

That fuel economy is a little shocking with the 8 speed and all, but i would imagine it's well worth it.

e: it's epa rating is 15 city/25 highway, so closeish i guess?

doogle
May 24, 2003

Bought this guy last month from a North Dakota seller. '15 Chevy SS in Perfect Blue (6AT) with 13k miles.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

doogle posted:

Bought this guy last month from a North Dakota seller. '15 Chevy SS in Perfect Blue (6AT) with 13k miles.

Very cool to see a goon actually buy an SS. Looks great.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

doogle posted:

That color rules

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Buhbuhj posted:

Very cool to see a goon actually buy an SS. Looks great.

I think there are two in this thread.

Very cool car indeed. I remember one of the first that I saw in the wild was much better looking than photographs. The rumble it made while queued at the freeway meter was very nice.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think there are two in this thread.

Very cool car indeed. I remember one of the first that I saw in the wild was much better looking than photographs. The rumble it made while queued at the freeway meter was very nice.

I finally saw one in the wild for the first time about a month ago. I still thought it looked like a Cruze/Malibu from a distance but you could definitely hear it from that same distance. Pulled up next to the woman driving at a light and she was keen to talk about it so it's nice to see something that only enthusiasts seem to be buying.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

H13 posted:

Looking good. I have had the N for about a month and am loving it but am interested to note the differences between it and the SR.

The price jump is pretty big between the two variants... $25,950 AUD for the manual SR and $39,990 AUD for the base model N (before on-roads).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Still mad that they made the (admittedly not un-rational) business decision not to sell the SS in Canada. :argh:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Bajaha posted:

My point stands, that's a Mercedes Cosworth, not your basic Merc :colbert:

But really, what were the complaints against the Merc manuals? I just remember hearing unrefined and not really fitting for the cars they went in. Kind of a moot point nowadays as it's been pointed out Mercedes doesn't really do manuals anymore.

I've driven a bunch of older manual mercs - I've got an '89 300CE and used to own a 190e 2.6, both manual, and my buddy owns a 24v W124 wagon with a getrag dogleg box and a 190 Cosworth, and they're all pretty great IMO. The 'worst' is probably the '89 coupe as the throw is quite long and very soft, but I'd argue it fits the cruisery nature of the car - I'd still rather have the manual than an auto. The best is obviously the getrag that's shared with the e30 M3, it shifts slightly harder in the Mercedes but it's still miles better than most other transmissions I've tried. I'd say most of the complaints were a mixture of "Mercedes is known for autos so the manuals must be garbage", "Manuals are for poors" and the internet echo chamber.

The 300CE:

I'm really annoyed about the bubbling on the front wing, the other side is the same and it's been just under a year since I had both sides fixed for the same problem. Definitely not using that shop again.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just a quick video of the MINI’s exhaust sound. Sorry for the wind buffeting at higher speeds, the camera was right on the corner of the car and the foam didn’t buffer it all. Next up will be a header and a tune then it should be done.

https://youtu.be/n9jBvYEFm3M

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

doogle posted:

Yea I think I posted mine. '15 is probably the best year unless you hate Magnaride.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hella good cars posted in this here thread, that SS is choice :kiss:

I dunno if I'm posting in the spirit of the thread in that the cars I'm buying these days are meant specifically for resale, making them technically 'my ride' but not really, you know? Either way:

Have that AZ-1 and this Pajero on the way soon. Yeah, that's two AZ-1s in two months :getin:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

KakerMix posted:

Hella good cars posted in this here thread, that SS is choice :kiss:

I dunno if I'm posting in the spirit of the thread in that the cars I'm buying these days are meant specifically for resale, making them technically 'my ride' but not really, you know? Either way:

Have that AZ-1 and this Pajero on the way soon. Yeah, that's two AZ-1s in two months :getin:

Your awesome cars are always welcome in this thread :3:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

New ride day.

2017 BMW 320i M Sport Shadow Edition. Loving it so far.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

chrisgt posted:

Your awesome cars are always welcome in this thread :3:

:3:

and a front of that Pajero I posted earlier

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I'm the tire cover

(Nice)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

KakerMix posted:

I dunno if I'm posting in the spirit of the thread in that the cars I'm buying these days are meant specifically for resale, making them technically 'my ride' but not really, you know?

my friend has been doing this the past few years and its a pretty good side hustle imo even though he got hosed over a couple times and stuck with these random projects that became more of a headache than they're worth

most recently he imported a Honda Beat with 40k miles on it and let me take it around some backroads which owned

never expected to see one irl let alone drive it :unsmith:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i took my silly fwd people moving boost box into the desert awhile ago. the trip up the side the plateau was sketch but once the ocean of lava rocks ended it smoothed back out

I love the high desert so much and this thread needed a bump

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Me pal bought a drone. Now I need to learn to do photoshop, but for video. Videoshop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKvywaUQBMg

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Me pal bought a drone. Now I need to learn to do photoshop, but for video. Videoshop?

adobe after effects

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bape Culture posted:

You can also learn about good music while ya at it. :tipshat:

Cool car.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Please do not troll the uncopyrifhted music we found from 1998 lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Kinda just salty there are no exhaust noises when you Do A Burnout®.