Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Holy poo poo yeah. That's tops. Undisputed 3 and Undisputed Boyeka (not as good but still worth a watch)

Ok I'll start there then. Accident Man was my first Atkins movie aside from his little bit parts in other people's movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I edited my post, don't forget Undisputed 2! He's the bad guy which is a cool change of pace!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh and I can't forget: Adkins is the lead in Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning and it is very good if you like a really odd thriller/action movie combo. I've never seen anything like it (in terms of mixing the amazing action with this very disconcerting slow-burn plot)

Universal Soldier Regeneration is also dope but it doesn't have Adkins.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I'm not an Adkins or dtv action expert but I thought Savage Dog was pretty good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh and I can't forget: Adkins is the lead in Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning and it is very good if you like a really odd thriller/action movie combo. I've never seen anything like it (in terms of mixing the amazing action with this very disconcerting slow-burn plot)

I like movies like that actually. I'm sure this isn't a good comparison overall, but The Man From Nowhere is kinda like that. When you look at how much action is actually there it's not much, and yet the movie is never boring.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The Undisputed movies still look a bit cheap though, as do most Isaac Florentine joints like the aforementioned Close Range. He can direct the hell out of a fight scene though, Close Range has a couple of good ones (I liked the knife/belt fight and the one where he flips the dining room table up then bounces a guy's skull off it.

If you haven't seen it already, Savage Dog had the same director as Accident Man, Jesse Johnson, and looks a lot nicer. It's much grimmer though. (e: beaten like a baddie in a Scott Adkins movie)

He also directed Triple Threat which whenthefuckisitcomingoutalready

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Day of Reckoning was pretty good but there were two or three sequences of harsh strobe-lighting that lasted uncomfortably long.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Day of Reckoning was pretty good but there were two or three sequences of harsh strobe-lighting that lasted uncomfortably long.

I loving loved Day of Reckoning. It's the closest anyone has come to doing an 80s Cronenberg movie since 80s Cronenberg.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FancyMike posted:

I'm not an Adkins or dtv action expert but I thought Savage Dog was pretty good.

Neither am I, I simply don't have enough time.

Basically OutlawVern is my North Star, if he says something is worth seeing then it usually is. Not always, but usually. For example he liked Lady Bloodfight, I thought it was a squandered opportunity.

The stuff he says is trash to him is ALWAYS trash to me, 100% of the time.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Universal soldier: day of reckoning is a great action movie and Adkins is pretty awesome in it. The last 15 minutes is pretty batshit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Day of Reckoning has that crazy fight in a sports equipment shop with a great moment where the bad guy throws a bowling ball and Adkins just punches it into powder, then they sword fight with metal baseball bats. It's great.

Van Damme is in and he's more or less playing his character like he's Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Guuuys you're kind of spoiling it for the people who haven't seen it. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guuuys you're kind of spoiling it for the people who haven't seen it. :(

I saw your post first and didn't scroll up so we're good! Well I did, but just long enough to see it was about a movie I hadn't seen.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning felt like David Lynch taking a stab at a violent action movie, complete with his signature dreamlike dread and weirdness.

I still haven't seen Regeneration, though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Regeneration, which came before Day of Reckoning, is also loving fantastic. Same really uncomfortable feeling and some really impressive action scenes considering its budget. Adkins isn't in it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Regeneration absolutely owns, though I'm always a little salty about it because the original trailers and teasers for it made it seem like the movie was going to be about Dolph Lundgren and JCVD teaming up for the movie instead of what happens instead. That scene rules anyway though.

Has there ever been a movie series this long where it's one single continuity with the actors and characters but it reaches lows as low as the Universal Soldiers 2 and 3 we got on Showtime (and arguably The Return but at least that one's stupid in a fun way instead of just being plain bad) and then reaches highs as high as Regeneration and Day of Reckoning?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 7, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat, Undisputed II was really loving good, very impressive. Michael Jai White is great in it, I think this movie is like the missing piece for me as far as why people respect him so much. It's really not easy to elevate a DTV sequel like that but he and Atkins really hit a home run.

Undisputed III was fine but I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping I would, mostly just because there were no decent villains for Boyeka to go up against. But I'm still looking forward to watching IV.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

Regeneration absolutely owns, though I'm always a little salty about it because the original trailers and teasers for it made it seem like the movie was going to be about Dolph Lundgren and JCVD teaming up for the movie instead of what happens instead. That scene rules anyway though.

Has there ever been a movie series this long where it's one single continuity with the actors and characters but it reaches lows as low as the Universal Soldiers 2 and 3 we got on Showtime (and arguably The Return but at least that one's stupid in a fun way instead of just being plain bad) and then reaches highs as high as Regeneration and Day of Reckoning?

Rocky.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yeah, it's this.

The next closest might be... Child's Play?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would also argue Halloween.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Good call, but I wouldn't say it's "one single continuity".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh yeah fair enough.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it's this.

The next closest might be... Child's Play?

Child's Play for sure.

I'd say A Nightmare on Elm Street if you're in the camp that loves New Nightmare and want to cut it off there.

LesterGroans posted:

Good call, but I wouldn't say it's "one single continuity".

H2O is pretty good, and if you cut it off at Busta Rhymes electrocuting Michael Meyer's dick with Meyers issuing an ethereal groan of pain (Michael Meyer's canonical first dialogue, sorry Rob Zombie!), I mean that is absolutely a franchise high compared to 4/5/6 combined.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nah, Halloween doesn't count because it definitely never approached the level that the original reached again and the entire franchise is mostly just a gradual(and sometimes not so gradual) decline. I'd argue that H20 is the only Halloween, at least within that original continuity(i.e. not including Zombie's) that was better than the one that came before. And H20 is still miles behind even Halloween II imo.

Child's Play is a better argument because some people really love the recent sequels and consider them as good as the original, but I'm not one of those people.

There's an argument for The Fast & The Furious, because I think most people agree that Fast & Furious was not very good but then Fast Five and 6 were fantastic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh yeah Fast and the Furious definitely. People disliked the fourth one a lot (which is understandable since like 2 Fast 2 Furious it sucks) and it's definitely a series low point, but then 5 and 6 were huge improvements.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah Fast and the Furious definitely. People disliked the fourth one a lot (which is understandable since like 2 Fast 2 Furious it sucks) and it's definitely a series low point, but then 5 and 6 were huge improvements.

Yeah this is a real answer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just a question of whether or not Fast & Furious is really comparable to how bad those Universal Soldier sequels were. I haven't seen them myself.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

After all this Adkins talk I decided to watch Incoming last night. Not very good I regret both the time and money spent.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Universal Soldier is actually two continuities.

Universal Soldier 1, Regeneration and Day of Reckoning are considered as the official Canon continuity by the people in charge.

The Return and the two early DTV are non-canon.
I wrote a bit about it very early on in this thread.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'd say A Nightmare on Elm Street if you're in the camp that loves New Nightmare and want to cut it off there.
I say Nightmare counts, and you could count several other slasher series where the villain, at least, is played by the same actor for many sequels because it's not like Robert Englund, Doug Bradley, and Angus Scrimm were getting tons of other work.

Not to mention the Trancers series.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrBling posted:

Universal Soldier is actually two continuities.

Universal Soldier 1, Regeneration and Day of Reckoning are considered as the official Canon continuity by the people in charge.

The Return and the two early DTV are non-canon.
I wrote a bit about it very early on in this thread.

How can this be true when Michael Jai White is in both the original and in The Return? :O

The obvious best conclusion to this is that we need a seventh installment to unite them by starring both Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

After all this Adkins talk I decided to watch Incoming last night. Not very good I regret both the time and money spent.

Same thing happened to with Close Range(although I didn't spend money on it). Unfortunately the guy seems to have been involved with a lot of extremely low budget productions and without doing some research it's a crap shoot as to which ones are actually decent and which are too amateurish to be enjoyable.

Like, the dude can do some amazingly athletic stuff and I love to watch one of his ridiculous spin kicks connect with some poor mook, but there's a line where the super low budget really does start to drag everything down.

Halloween Jack posted:

I say Nightmare counts, and you could count several other slasher series where the villain, at least, is played by the same actor for many sequels because it's not like Robert Englund, Doug Bradley, and Angus Scrimm were getting tons of other work.

Yea but we're talking about franchises that had a major decline in quality, but then pulled it back and came out with a fantastic sequel later on. You can argue that with NOES, because New Nightmare is regarded pretty highly, but no Hellraiser or Phantasm sequel were ever really good again after the initial decline of both franchises. Both Hellraiser and Phantasm have one really good sequel that was released immediately following the original, and then a steady unbroken decline after that.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 7, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Same thing happened to with Close Range(although I didn't spend money on it). Unfortunately the guy seems to have been involved with a lot of extremely low budget productions and without doing some research it's a crap shoot as to which ones are actually decent and which are too amateurish to be enjoyable.

Like, the dude can do some amazingly athletic stuff and I love to watch one of his ridiculous spin kicks connect with some poor mook, but there's a line where the super low budget really does start to drag everything down.

I was in the mood for a no-budget fun action movie and the 'ISS is a space prison now and there's a breakout' premise sounded fun. Not enough action to even really justify having Adkins in the movie I think there was only maybe one or two spin kicks in the whole thing. But they did cast him correctly as a real rear end in a top hat who gets to yell 'Don't gently caress with America' at one point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

I was in the mood for a no-budget fun action movie and the 'ISS is a space prison now and there's a breakout' premise sounded fun. Not enough action to even really justify having Adkins in the movie I think there was only maybe one or two spin kicks in the whole thing. But they did cast him correctly as a real rear end in a top hat who gets to yell 'Don't gently caress with America' at one point.

Adkins works best when he's surrounded by people he can play off of, so he doesn't have to provide all of the personality by himself. I think that's why Undisputed II worked so well, and why Accident Man was a cut above some of his other stuff(aside from the budget of course). He's definitely capable of being a leading man but it works better when it's more of an ensemble situation like what we got with Accident Man. Lots of colorful characters for him to run into and interact with.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but we're talking about franchises that had a major decline in quality, but then pulled it back and came out with a fantastic sequel later on. You can argue that with NOES,
NOES does it in 3 movies!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

Not to mention the Trancers series.

Don Coscarelli wrote and helmed all the Phantasm films (minus the last,which he was still involved in.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Don Coscarelli wrote and helmed all the Phantasm films (minus the last,which he was still involved in.)

It's heart-warming that he was able to do that but also a bit depressing because you can see as the series goes on how much difficulty they must have had getting a decent budget together. Phantasm II is like a legit movie with a budget of several million(not bad for 1988), by Phantasm IV it was down to less than a million(even worse than it sounds because by then we're talking about 1998 money).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Basebf555 posted:

It's heart-warming that he was able to do that but also a bit depressing because you can see as the series goes on how much difficulty they must have had getting a decent budget together. Phantasm II is like a legit movie with a budget of several million(not bad for 1988), by Phantasm IV it was down to less than a million(even worse than it sounds because by then we're talking about 1998 money).

I have a soft spot in my heart for 4. I love the-pre Tall Man, Morningstar, and just the way Scrimm plays him. Such a kind hearted character and you really got to see Scrimm's range.

I also love the shot of where Morningstar steps into the portal, and immediately The Tall Man steps out. Such a disorienting chain. Not even a few seconds go by.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Adkins works best when he's surrounded by people he can play off of, so he doesn't have to provide all of the personality by himself. I think that's why Undisputed II worked so well, and why Accident Man was a cut above some of his other stuff(aside from the budget of course). He's definitely capable of being a leading man but it works better when it's more of an ensemble situation like what we got with Accident Man. Lots of colorful characters for him to run into and interact with.

If they ever get more GI Joe movies off the ground, Adkins should play Action Man in the spin-off (Dr X would be, like, John Malkovich).

One thing I like about Universal Soldier Regeneration is how it's like a Time Crisis movie. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Continuing the unofficial Scott Adkins Day talk, OutlawVern has his review of Adkin's latest, "The Debt Collector" out.

http://outlawvern.com/2018/06/07/the-debt-collector/