Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Gianthogweed posted:

OMG I totally forgot about that game. Loved the music in that too, but man that game pissed me off. I bought the PS for FF7 but it wasn't out yet and Beyond the Beyond was the only rpg you could get for the console before September 1997. It was grindy, but I was an old school rpger so I actually liked it at the time, and the music was really good so it made the grind more bearable. But it was the only RPG where I actually found myself in an unwinnable state.

I was in the exact situation with the same game(s)! I remember not having any fun with BtB though.

I know when I started listening to old prog I was getting flashbacks to early sega genesis RPG soundtracks, like Shining Force 1+ 2 and Landstalker. It'd be great to read something about the composer's musical inspiration. I know I've read a rumor that Uematsu considers One-Winged Angel a mix of Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' and Purple Haze which is amazing to contemplate because that's exactly what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Astrochicken posted:

I was in the exact situation with the same game(s)! I remember not having any fun with BtB though.

I know when I started listening to old prog I was getting flashbacks to early sega genesis RPG soundtracks, like Shining Force 1+ 2 and Landstalker. It'd be great to read something about the composer's musical inspiration. I know I've read a rumor that Uematsu considers One-Winged Angel a mix of Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' and Purple Haze which is amazing to contemplate because that's exactly what it is.

Uematsu has said he was a fan of prog rock and used to listen to ELP and Yes growing up. I remember reading it in an interview back in the 90s. In fact, he was one of my inspirations for trying to get into the video game music industry (something I'm still trying to do 25 years later ... I don't know if I should be hating the guy by now). He also had that prog rock band, the Black Mages, after he left Square.

Other older game soundtracks that sound proggy:
https://youtu.be/ypNPxwnppU0 - always reminded me of Yes
https://youtu.be/4EcgruWlXnQ - You now have autism.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 9, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gianthogweed posted:

I bought the PS for FF7 but it wasn't out yet and Beyond the Beyond was the only rpg you could get for the console before September 1997.
My timelines might be off a bit here but I'm fairly sure we had Suikoden, Wild Arms, and Vandal Hearts all released by that point

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This owns, is Solstice a good game (I am assuming not)

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Tim Follin is prog as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbJSftFr20

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's pretty impressive considering the old NES 4 channel soundchip for sure. Here's a pretty well done cover of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77SpmRw_sY
I don't know anything about the game, but i'm making the same assumption you are.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Solstice has a code that lets you max out your lives and potions every time you use it, and I still couldn't beat the game when I was a kid. It's a big complicated maze full of infuriatingly difficult jumps, and you can finish it in <20 minutes if you know where everything is, but it's always been one of the best-looking NES games, and I still kinda like it.

The SNES sequel Equinox is better (but still really loving hard) and has some gorgeous atmospheric music, but nothing like the Solstice title theme.

There's also Lumo, an indie game on Steam that's a spiritual sequel to Solstice, and it's pretty decent from what I've played.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 9, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Solstice was horrible. But the graphics and music were good.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm starting to think Van der Graaf Generator is secretly the best prog band. Or at least Peter Hammill is secretly the best prog musician. Even though it's proggy in places I can't believe the person who wrote Over also wrote H to He, Who Am the Only One.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I always liked how Man-Erg had this triumphant, uplifting chord progression but the lyrics are actually about a serial killer.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Shark Sandwich posted:

I'm starting to think Van der Graaf Generator is secretly the best prog band. Or at least Peter Hammill is secretly the best prog musician. Even though it's proggy in places I can't believe the person who wrote Over also wrote H to He, Who Am the Only One.

There's a strong case to be made. In my experience, even good prog bands have a lot of crap in the discography, even VDGG, which is why I give best major prog band to Gentle Giant.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Vulture Culture posted:

My timelines might be off a bit here but I'm fairly sure we had Suikoden, Wild Arms, and Vandal Hearts all released by that point

Looking at the release dates I guess you're right, although those japanese rpgs usually came out in the US several months (sometimes years) later than their initial release dates in Japan. But now that I think about it I'm fairly certain I played Wild Arms before FF7 as well. Suikoden I didn't play until after FF7 and Vandal Hearts I just never got around to. But Beyond the Beyond was the first and only rpg I remember seeing for psx when I first got it, and it's etched in my mind because of how much it pissed me off. I think I got my psx in 1996 ... those memories are hazy now. I know I was still in high school.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I had the game and probably put more time into than it warranted, mostly because of the music (which was nowhere's near as good once you got passed the title screen, but still good). I enjoyed it as a kid, but it was never a favorite of mine. Looking back I don't think the game was that great. It was difficult as gently caress and and became annoying and claustrophobic at times. It was basically just a mazy wizardy puzzly grid based dungeon crawl with weird angled platform jumping mechanics. I think if you're one of those masochist gamers who loves to torture yourself with really difficult games you'd find it fun. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 11, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Holy poo poo, he's also the Plok music guy? That... makes sense now that I use my brain to think about it.

Prog thread owns. Also VDGG owns and Peter Hammill should come to the US again so I can see him.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
VdGG and Gentle Giant are both the best prog band guys

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vdgg are good, but the best prog band is actually Henry Cow

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Actually we’ve run the numbers and it turns out the best prog band is...Kansas?!?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

A human heart posted:

Vdgg are good, but the best prog band is actually Henry Cow

Yes.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Actually we’ve run the numbers and it turns out the best prog band is...Kansas?!?

Kill urself, my man.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

King Crimson have always been the best prog band actually

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

King Crimson have always been the best prog band actually

Lizard begs to differ.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

il_cornuto posted:

King Crimson Jethro Tull have always been the best prog band actually

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

XBenedict posted:

King CrimsonJethro Tull have always been the best prog metal band actually

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
You all spelled Arthur Brown wrong. I BRING YOU FIRE

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
None of those guys made a record as good as power windows so whatever

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
:siren:This is not a drill:siren:

Phideaux has an EP out with material from Infernal dropping May 23rd. Infernal due out late-July to early-August.
Phideaux gives me joy and I'm glad Infernal is officially not vapor-ware. Tho I'll wait until the EP and actual album is in my hands before I uncross any appendages. These are legit some of my favorite albums ever and have basically been on repeat for a decade.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Cymbal Monkey posted:

PinioL just released their first album and it's really good, it's been on heavy rotation at my house the last few days. Fairly aggressive, mathy, zeuhl adjacent stuff.

gosh darn heck this is good

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Since we're posting new albums I thought I'd put up mine. It hasn't been mastered yet but I went into serious debt getting it to this point so I could use the support taking it the rest of the way and getting a really good professional master done. I will update the files with the mastered version once it's done. Also considering crowd funding a cd and vinyl release. It's a double album so I was hoping to do a cool gatefold sleeve type thing.

https://jamesmurray1.bandcamp.com/

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I'm getting it mastered on monday so let me know what you think of the mix if you listened to it. We're making last minute changes to the premasters tomorrow because already we've found some glitches and ways to improve the mix.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

Since we're posting new albums I thought I'd put up mine. It hasn't been mastered yet but I went into serious debt getting it to this point so I could use the support taking it the rest of the way and getting a really good professional master done. I will update the files with the mastered version once it's done. Also considering crowd funding a cd and vinyl release. It's a double album so I was hoping to do a cool gatefold sleeve type thing.

https://jamesmurray1.bandcamp.com/

Hey I like this a lot, but some of these riffs are dangerously close to Decemberists plagiarism.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Hey I like this a lot, but some of these riffs are dangerously close to Decemberists plagiarism.
I'm hearing a lot more Amplifier than I expected after reading this

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Gazpacho album Soyuz is out, and it's good.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

If you're talking about the G to Em chord pattern in worthwhile we discussed that before in an earlier post. I wrote that in 1995. In fact most of these chords/riffs I came up with in the 90s. I know it doesn't make much of a difference since the album is coming out in 2018, but I didn't copy it from the Decemberists since I hadn't even heard of the Decemberists until 2007 or so. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those riffs were used by other bands though. The early ones I wrote weren't that complicated.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 22, 2018

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

If you're talking about the G to Em chord pattern in worthwhile we discussed that before in an earlier post. I wrote that in 1995. In fact most of these chords/riffs I came up with in the 90s. I know it doesn't make much of a difference since the album is coming out in 2018, but I didn't copy it from the Decemberists since I hadn't even heard of the Decemberists until 2007 or so. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those riffs were used by other bands though. The early ones I wrote weren't that complicated.

Regardless, I am looking forward to the final mix, it sounds cool.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Thanks. I am too :)

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Internet pays dividends today.

https://youtu.be/-IOKT_sC9ac

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Koenjihyakkei are kickstarting a vinyl run for their new album, and the digital download tier promises early release.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Mastered version is out now: http://jamesmurray1.bandcamp.com

It's a double album/double cd so I'm having the artist paint a new gatefold design cover before I release it to iTunes and other digital mediums. I may still go with the current cover for the digital release though.

That's actually a really cool idea. I maxed out all my credit cards making this album and don't have enough money to put the records or CDs in production. I thought I was going to have to wait a few years before I could save up to do it. Never thought of using kickstarter for music releases.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 6, 2018

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

amazing news. really looking forward to the album (and hopefully a tour)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

teen bear posted:

amazing news. really looking forward to the album (and hopefully a tour)

They're implying they're up for a tour if someone wants to kick them $8500 (check the top reward tier). If I had $8500 in savings I'm not gonna lie there's a good chance I'd blow it on making a tour happen because I'm dying to see this band.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They're implying they're up for a tour if someone wants to kick them $8500 (check the top reward tier). If I had $8500 in savings I'm not gonna lie there's a good chance I'd blow it on making a tour happen because I'm dying to see this band.

I saw the Ruins Alone tour and it was something else. Would love to see the full band.

Just curious, where did you hear about the kickstarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

teen bear posted:

I saw the Ruins Alone tour and it was something else. Would love to see the full band.

Just curious, where did you hear about the kickstarter?

Yesterday's SkinGraft records Bandcamp alert email thing, whatever it's called. I highly recommend you get on that.