Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Steakandchips posted:

What mountain do you live on top of?

The side of Pikes Peak. Working at cars at altitude sucks. You get tired so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say you'd probably be ok for light occasional use like that, even at substantially lower air pressure, though bear in mind the lower air density would logically also have an impact of the effectiveness of the air cooling of the motor, which may effect the duty cycle?

Of course, the correct answer to "which compressor should I buy?" is generally "a bigger one".

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Just as a guess, at 1/3 the air density you probably need 3x the cfm capability.

Plus something capable of 3x the duty cycle.

Cheap or effective, pick one.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I bought the Harbor Freight corded 1/2" impact wrench and the 1000LB engine support bar in anticipation of a clutch job.
Hopefully neither leads to my death!!

I feel like, at less than $50, the impact is worth a shot. I don't see myself needing it all the time. Though maybe that's what people say before they get a good one.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Achtane posted:

I bought the Harbor Freight corded 1/2" impact wrench and the 1000LB engine support bar in anticipation of a clutch job.
Hopefully neither leads to my death!!

I feel like, at less than $50, the impact is worth a shot. I don't see myself needing it all the time. Though maybe that's what people say before they get a good one.

They're both fine. I've had coworkers with both, and zero HB related injuries.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
If anyone is looking for some decent/cheapish backup sockets, Advanced Auto currently has a lot of their gearwrench sets at 50% off. Just got a set of 1/4" short and deep as well as 3/8" short and deep backups for a cool ~$52. Cheaper than harborfreight at that price for much higher quality tools.

Edit: They also have a bunch of other gearwrench stuff at 50% off as well, not just sockets if you're looking for something else.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 25, 2018

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

0toShifty posted:

Working at cars at altitude sucks. You get tired so fast.

Just do it for a couple of months and you'll be superhuman once back at sea level.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bolind posted:

Just do it for a couple of months and you'll be superhuman once back at sea level.

That will be great for all of those car repair championships.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Seminal Flu posted:

That's one of my problems. I keep a box of yellows so I can just grab pairs when I need them. If I take a pair of muffs off, invariably I'll put them down and minutes later be looking for them because I didn't notice where I put them down.

I honestly cannot comprehend this type of stuff. I own probably at least 10 tape measures. Hell my 10mm socket is worth more than a lottery ticket some days. Yet set it down and somehow my hippocampus says gently caress off to it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

I honestly cannot comprehend this type of stuff. I own probably at least 10 tape measures. Hell my 10mm socket is worth more than a lottery ticket some days. Yet set it down and somehow my hippocampus says gently caress off to it.

“I saw that goddamn thing 10 times when I didn’t need it!”

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Re: hatchet
I ended up needing to kill time at Ace, sonigrabbed one there from a smartass.

FYI led shoplights are on sale at Costco again.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Colostomy Bag posted:

I lost a 1/2" drive 3/4" deep-well impact socket in my garage. It's not a small socket. It just straight vanished. I don't understand.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

0toShifty posted:

Okay, I need an air compressor, but my situation is kind of weird.

I'm at high altitude - like REALLY high - 9,200ft. The ambient atmospheric pressure is only 10.4psi here.

I really just need it to inflate tires and to run my leakdown tester.

I'd like to be able to run my grinder and cutoff wheel, but these things probably take a shitload of air. I also have an air impact wrench, but that's not totally necessary because I also have a lithium one that I end up using most of the time anyway, even with access to air.

So something small would probably do the job - but will it overheat terribly because of the altitude?

The compressor will still put out whatever gauge pressure it says it will, but the capacity of the compressor will be reduced because of the reduced atmospheric pressure - essentially you're still sucking in the same amount of cubic feet per minute, but compressors are rated as if each cubic foot is at standard atmospheric conditions. You can convert from "SCFM" to "ACFM" using the following formula:

ACFM = SCFM [Pstd / (Pact - Psat Φ)](Tact / Tstd)

where

ACFM = Actual Cubic Feet per Minute

SCFM = Standard Cubic Feet per Minute

Pstd = standard absolute air pressure (psia)

Pact = absolute pressure at the actual level (psia)

Psat = saturation pressure at the actual temperature (psi)

Φ = Actual relative humidity

Tact = Actual ambient air temperature (oR)

Tstd = Standard temperature (oR)

SCFM is typically used as 14.5 psia, 68° F with 0% RH.

Formula copy/pasted from https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/scfm-acfm-icfm-d_1012.html

Long story short - the duty cycle on the compressor will be higher to achieve the same airflow rate - you need to de-rate the compressor to ensure you stay within the specified duty cycle.

If you're looking at a compressor with something like an aftercooler, it won't cool nearly as well due to the reduced air density.

The other area to consider is the electric motor. Typically motor manufacturers will de-rate the motor based on altitude, as the cooling fans on the motor are again designed around standard conditions - though you're usually fine up to ~5000ft (which you're above). I don't know where you'll need to go to get something like that on a smaller compressor, I'm typically dealing with a supplier and I'll just spec out the altitude and what flowrate I need in SCFM and let them size the compressor/motor combo for me.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 25, 2018

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Gingerbread House Music posted:

They're both fine. I've had coworkers with both, and zero HB related injuries.

Impact owns. I'm pretty impressed, it got the axle nuts off like they were nothing. I HAVE a giant breaker bar, but F that when I can just boop something loose.
Now I just hope that it will last me a while.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

100% Dundee posted:

If anyone is looking for some decent/cheapish backup sockets, Advanced Auto currently has a lot of their gearwrench sets at 50% off. Just got a set of 1/4" short and deep as well as 3/8" short and deep backups for a cool ~$52. Cheaper than harborfreight at that price for much higher quality tools.

Edit: They also have a bunch of other gearwrench stuff at 50% off as well, not just sockets if you're looking for something else.
Was this in store or online? I've got time tomorrow to go in if there's anything left.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

always be closing posted:

Was this in store or online? I've got time tomorrow to go in if there's anything left.

I purchased in-store, but they have them listed on their website as well so I'm sure you could do either. Fortunately where I live theres like 10 Advanced Auto/Carquests within a 10 mile radius of my house so I just looked through them until I found a store that had everything that I wanted listed "in stock" on the website and sure enough when I went into the store there they were. I think you can also do in store pickup as well from their website but I've never tried that.

It isn't 100% of the Gearwrench products though, so either way I'd suggest checking the website first to make sure what you want is available/discounted/etc.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone use VXdiag NANO as a generic tech 2? Thinking of buying one to go with my new to me 2007 gm turd. I think I have a windows laptop buried somewhere.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The old house we bought had a looooooot of worthless junk but also came with this:

The jaws are 75mm (so, 3"). That sounds a bit small but the rest looks pretty skookum to me. No markings on it apart from "75". The pic is stolen from an old ad, and is not mine, so at least two are in existence.

Thoughts? Worth throwing some restoration effort at? Mine is in roughly the same shape as the one pictured.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Soak it in diesel and see if it moves?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It moves currently, works fine, it's just dirty and oily. I'm mainly concerned about 3" being to wimpy.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm finding that vises are loving expensive, so no point in throwing it away. It's probably better than the chinesium cheap stuff. Can't have too many of them neither.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

bolind posted:

It moves currently, works fine, it's just dirty and oily. I'm mainly concerned about 3" being to wimpy.
My little vice is only 3-3.5" jaws and for what I need it's fine. The only time it wasn't big enough was when I was trying to remove a press fit bearing, but I had to use a 15ton press for that so no vice was going to help me with that regardless. I'd say clean it up and use it, I don't see a downside.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Agreed, no down side. If you do strip it down, I had great success with painting my ~1915 Reed 6" vise with POR15. I used silver caliper paint for the body and black for the slide and it cures up hard and fast.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm finding that vises are loving expensive, so no point in throwing it away. It's probably better than the chinesium cheap stuff. Can't have too many of them neither.

For sure not throwing it out. And I think, for its nominal size, it looks much more beefy than some modern offerings.

Seminal Flu posted:

Agreed, no down side. If you do strip it down, I had great success with painting my ~1915 Reed 6" vise with POR15. I used silver caliper paint for the body and black for the slide and it cures up hard and fast.

Good info, will keep that in mind.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That vise looks awesome, and to me it seems like a vise is more about jaw travel than width. At least for what I use it for which is mainly u-joints.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Old beefy 3-4" vises are excellent. Monster 6"+ is great too but there's a lot that a smaller heavy vise can do that's cumbersome on a big one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, you don't need a massive vice 90% of the time, and a good quality old lump is always a pro choice.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Picked these up for a song from an old auto shop that closed. Hopefully they got some life in them yet.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Is there a preferred code/OBD2 reader? Vehicles include 11 M3, 2016 honda odyssey (may be replaced with new Chrysler Pacifica), and I think I am buying an older (2000s) Toyota small truck-based SUV (4runner or lexus gx), if that matters.

Also, what about a multimeter for auto and general household use?

Thanks all.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

gvibes posted:

Is there a preferred code/OBD2 reader? Vehicles include 11 M3, 2016 honda odyssey (may be replaced with new Chrysler Pacifica), and I think I am buying an older (2000s) Toyota small truck-based SUV (4runner or lexus gx), if that matters.

Thanks all.

If you have an android phone, Torque app plus an ELM327 reader.

Define "household use" for a multimeter. Are you going to be sticking it in an outlet or measuring high DC voltage? There are plenty of cheaper meters that are fine for low voltage use but are questionable for mains power.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Geoj posted:

If you have an android phone, Torque app plus an ELM327 reader.

Define "household use" for a multimeter. Are you going to be sticking it in an outlet or measuring high DC voltage? There are plenty of cheaper meters that are fine for low voltage use but are questionable for mains power.
iOS, unfortunately.

I didn't really think through the household piece. For what I had envisioned (seeing whether wires are live), there are simpler tools. That said, I don't mind spending some extra cash for something nicer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Someone here recommended one of these:
Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EPCfBbV1SBT3T

I picked one up to scan other cars after I got a VW specific Bluetooth dongle. I like that it's light and cheap and plug and play. Not a lot of features beyond reading and erasing codes.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

gvibes posted:

iOS, unfortunately.

I didn't really think through the household piece. For what I had envisioned (seeing whether wires are live), there are simpler tools. That said, I don't mind spending some extra cash for something nicer.
Get the WiFi version of the adapter and OBD Fusion. I use both and aside from different interfaces , they’re pretty indistinguishable.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

gvibes posted:

Thanks all.
I was in a trade so I usually used fluke and fieldpiece but no point recommending them. The cheapest meter I have used was TES brand and I was going to recommend one of them but google tells me they are now well over $100 for a good TES unit. (Mine cost me $60 in 1995 :v: and it's still working.)

How about amprobe? I've generally heard good things about them for a ~$50 DMM. If you were in Australia I would say just buy a good jaycar brand one, do you have electronics stores still?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 5, 2018

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Klein makes a decent budget meter, and they are available off the shelf at a lot of the big box hardware stores.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
For around the house? A cheap poo poo HF one will work just fine.

As a side note, my father works in manufacturing and every precision HF tool he has purchased was nearly dead on when compared to the calibrated tools in their lab. I still better brands though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Best thing about the HF ones you can basically free with a coupon.

And yeah, they are fairly accurate for home use.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'd be a bit wary sticking the "free with coupon" HF meter anywhere close to mains power. Low voltage/automotive work, sure, but not something that can kill you or quickly set the thing in your hand on fire.

At least spring for the $15 mini clamp or $22 multimeter if you're sticking it in an outlet.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The quality difference between the $20ish on amazon and the free HF one are night and date any the ability to tape a thermocouple to stuff has come in handy a decent number of times. I use the free one at my moms every now when I come by to fix something and the and the probes are really REALLY bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I agree with the sentiment about HF meters being OK for car stuff but not great for >50v AC. It's not about being accurate or not, it's about what happens if the meter experiences a fault or being used on a setting incorrectly (like putting voltage across it when resistance is selected).