Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dark souls 2 has A funny dwarf.

edit: rewatching hbomb's bloodborne review to clear my mind after that series of insanely wrong posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

edit: rewatching hbomb's bloodborne review to clear my mind after the series of insane posts after mine.

I didn't like Dark Souls 2 enough to really play a whole lot of it. There's a weird sticky-ness to the swordplay that makes everything feel off to me.

Edit - To be clear, Bloodborne is the only one of these games I liked enough to really get into and finish.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, I'll defend Fallout 3's intro for having narrative momentum and clear purposes. That of establishing a bond with your father, so his sudden exit has more weight and giving you a strong core objective once you enter the gameworld, and acting as a vertical slice showing off all of the different ins and outs of Fallout - important for players who have probably never encountered a Fallout game before.

Not that New Vegas' intro is specifically worse or bad, but I don't personally prefer it. I find it too low-key and reliant on the player filling in all of the blanks. Clearly a lot of people like that kind of narrative freedom, but I've always preferred a slightly more directed experience. Ironically, once you're out of the immediate intros, the games largely flip-flop, with F3 being a vast open world filled with random pockets of stuff, while NV has a very obvious intended route taking you through specific set-pieces. I don't find it a coincidence that I sputtered out on F3 relatively quickly, but stuck with NV...up until you get to New Vegas proper and suddenly you're buried under quests that are sending you to every corner of the map.

I've heard a couple of arguments (maybe not necessarily serious ones) that the setup of New Vegas doesn't really account for the notion of wanting to steer clear of the guy who shot you in the head for fear that he might do it again successfully.

One of the problems with New Vegas in the early game is that you're funneled into taking the long route to New Vegas proper, as the most direct routes north are blocked off by deathclaws and cazadores. I don't really take a lot of umbrage with that, though, because it 1.) it adheres to a general rule with RPGs (stay on the main roads, else you may run into more dangerous encounters), and 2.) roadblocks like the deathclaw quarry give you a 'long-term goal' in regards to something you know can't do from the start, but can return to once you've gotten stronger.

Leal posted:

I feel that this image is appropriate.

Ghostlight posted:

This image somewhat over-exaggerates the water chip's importance to Fallout's plot.

Something I've picked up on is that RPGs (usually really good RPGs) tend to have their main quest-lines split with lower-stakes initial goal, and a higher-stakes secondary goal.

In Fallout 1, you're trying to find the water chip before Vault 13 runs out of water, but then once you do that, you're tasked with trying to stop the mutant army before they destroy the wasteland. Fallout 2 does mostly the same, but with the GECK and the Enclave. New Vegas has you tracking down the man who shot you and the package you were carrying, but then has you take a side in the power struggle for Hoover Dam.

Daggerfall started you out investigating why the king's ghost started haunting the town, but after that was done, you were tasked with finding and delivering the control of a super-powerful golem to one of rulers. Mass Effect started out with you hunting down Saren, but then had you trying to stop the Reapers.

I guess I see it as a game not starting out with a 'save the world' plot, but mixing it in later down the line.

Groovelord Neato posted:

what's the point of playing a game if you're just told the story.

You'd be surprised by how people clamor for the ability to skip through a game.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I think a lot of people underestimate the impact that the interactive nature of video games can have on storytelling for people, even if it is a linear story.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
People who play video games for their job ask for “less work” button. Film at 11.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i can't think of any game that has a story good enough to skip the actual game part.

plus it's like reading a plot synopsis of the movie you just bought instead of actually watching it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 6, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Roth posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that found God of War a more compelling narrative than any Souls/Bloodborne game.
I think you'll change your tune after you watch all 300 hours of my lore analysis videos. :smug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

edit: rewatching hbomb's bloodborne review to clear my mind after that series of insanely wrong posts.

Dark Souls 2 has two funny dwarves who may or may not be related.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

I think you'll change your tune after you watch all 300 hours of my lore analysis videos. :smug:

can't believe that guy gets like 5k a month through patreon.

that's also not the narrative.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Roth posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that found God of War a more compelling narrative than any Souls/Bloodborne game.

God of War has a less compelling narrative than the Burnout games.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Burnout > God of War > Soulsborne

I'm glad we can all agree to this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i can't think of any game that has a story good enough to skip the actual game part.

plus it's like reading a plot synopsis of the movie you just bought instead of actually watching it.

I can, but it's mostly because they have a good plot and bad gameplay. Personally, I feel like different people like different things and that's why more diversity in video games is a good thing. :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

games with bad gameplay are never a good thing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Mark Brown made a video on this a little bit ago and I agree on his take that I think that for accessibility reasons (esp. including accommodating disability) it's positive to encourage games to have modes that allow people to skip or otherwise breeze through content, but also to mark the mode as "not being the intended experience for most players" in some way.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm sure I could make a list of games that had pretty good and engaging narratives, but were bogged down by the core game being flawed or a chore to play.

It's not even that I'm totally opposed to the idea. It's more so the notion behind it. Going back to Dark Souls, I'd totally get why'd someone might turn on CheatEngine and noclip their way through the Bed of Chaos fight or something. "Yeah, I died like 15 times trying to get on that drat branch, and I just wanted to move on to the rest of the game." That I can understand. I'm not going to hold it against someone if they just want to do something like that to make things a bit easier or more to their liking. What annoys me is when I see articles that preach about it as some grand idea that more games should adopt. "Oh, wouldn't it be nice if we could just skip the fighting and leveling and dungeon crawling?" It's like some galaxy-brain nonsense that makes it sound like actually playing the game is a inconvenience.

To share a personal anecdote, I've struggled to try and get through the Baldur's Gate games. I finished the first one, but I still haven't finished BG2. I made it to the start of Chapter 6, but I think someone said that I was under-leveled and that I needed to do the other quests and part of Watcher's Keep dungeon before trying to tackle the last part of the story. I've given serious thought to just turning on the 'Story Mode' setting to just breeze through the last half of the game, but I'm still hesitant to do so (be it stubborn pride or whatever). As it is, it's sitting on my hard drive, taking up space.

The thing is, I know it's more my fault than it is the game's. I'm still shocked that there are mods to make the game harder, because I struggle to make it through on Normal difficulty. It's a game where the combat is real in-depth with the range of classes, party members, and spells you have access to. Playing it on Story Mode doesn't sit well with me because otherwise, you're essentially cutting out the core of the experience.

Now, in the case of Planescape Torment, the highlight of that game was it's writing, but I know that people who are fans of that game have said that the combat in it is terrible compared to other IE games. Because of that, I wouldn't feel bad about playing it in Story Mode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Get back to me when the Burnout games allow you to rip off Literally Crispin Freeman's head and use it as a flashlight.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Get back to me when the Burnout games allow you to rip off Literally Crispin Freeman's head and use it as a flashlight.

You're acting like that scene is a good thing and not gross, mean spirited, and incredibly uncomfortable.

Which is a good summation of God of War as a series tbh.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Roth posted:

Dark Souls doesn't have a pair of funny dwarf brothers.

andre is basically a very tall dwarf

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You're acting like that scene is a good thing and not gross, mean spirited, and incredibly uncomfortable.

Which is a good summation of God of War as a series tbh.

Oh, no argument there. God of War 3 is fantastically mean spirited and uncomfortable and basically destroyed interest in the franchise, but god drat did it burn itself into my brain with how amazingly over the top it went.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
More games should leave a horrifying, lasting imprint. If the next CoD or Battlefield game manages to traumatize me as much as the knife scene in Saving Private Ryan it'll be 10/10.

Ssssshhhhhhhhh

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

God of War 3 is interesting if you take it as the developers intended you to play as the villain.

But, it's still a really dumb game. Like a really bad comic book. Which is why I'm pretty surprised I enjoyed the story of the new God of War as much as I did. It's like if somebody reinvented Spawn and made it was more interesting.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Max Wilco posted:

To share a personal anecdote, I've struggled to try and get through the Baldur's Gate games. I finished the first one, but I still haven't finished BG2. I made it to the start of Chapter 6, but I think someone said that I was under-leveled and that I needed to do the other quests and part of Watcher's Keep dungeon before trying to tackle the last part of the story. I've given serious thought to just turning on the 'Story Mode' setting to just breeze through the last half of the game, but I'm still hesitant to do so (be it stubborn pride or whatever). As it is, it's sitting on my hard drive, taking up space.

The thing is, I know it's more my fault than it is the game's. I'm still shocked that there are mods to make the game harder, because I struggle to make it through on Normal difficulty. It's a game where the combat is real in-depth with the range of classes, party members, and spells you have access to. Playing it on Story Mode doesn't sit well with me because otherwise, you're essentially cutting out the core of the experience.

Now, in the case of Planescape Torment, the highlight of that game was it's writing, but I know that people who are fans of that game have said that the combat in it is terrible compared to other IE games. Because of that, I wouldn't feel bad about playing it in Story Mode.

The thing is, old IE games were really targeted to an audience who had pretty good knowledge of 2nd ed AD&D as a prerequisite, and if you're not that context is kind of lost on you. I'm not saying you won't miss anything by excising the combat; for instance you'll lose small hints like "maybe I should try and resolve this peacefully because this fight is extremely hard and that means I probably shouldn't be doing it", but the game doesn't exactly intend for you to be soft-bewildered by a bunch of THAC0 and weapon classes and hit die min/maxing. CRPGs have never really had a great gameplay/story integration experience. Class imbalance especially also frequently gets in the way of conversations. Especially in older CRPGs where you have a limited number of points and combat skills and speech skills are competing. You also still get the gist of how hard a fight is on story mode because you'll see your characters getting hurt really fast and get a sense of how the enemies move or how long they take to kill.

IE games are really at odds with themselves design-wise, and I'm not sure they're the best example of "a story mode cuts out the core of the experience." I think it's fine for people to want different things from the game. I never found BG's combat particularly entertaining despite beating it as a kid, it was always kind of a chore.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If a game is going to leave a horrifying, lasting imprint, it should do it in at least good and creative ways.

So let's talk about Nier, then...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

If a game is going to leave a horrifying, lasting imprint, it should do it in at least good and creative ways.

So let's talk about Nier, then...

That isn't a horrifying imprint, thats a straight up depressing imprint :smith:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Speaking of story vs gameplay, Angry Joe posted his review of Detroit: Become Human which is basically an interactive movie. The video is actually worth watching for the skits alone, they're genuinely hilarious. He seemed to like the game overall, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiphSNWXIfM

Our very own Dan Olson also streamed the game on Monday and, uh, didn't like it as much (mostly for how poorly the story handled its themes and the ridiculous parts of the game's worldbuilding, which Joe mostly glossed over).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

Our very own Dan Olson also streamed the game on Monday and, uh, didn't like it as much

You don't know how happy this makes me. Not because of his playthrough, but because I can make... THIS

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

The thing is, old IE games were really targeted to an audience who had pretty good knowledge of 2nd ed AD&D as a prerequisite, and if you're not that context is kind of lost on you. I'm not saying you won't miss anything by excising the combat; for instance you'll lose small hints like "maybe I should try and resolve this peacefully because this fight is extremely hard and that means I probably shouldn't be doing it", but the game doesn't exactly intend for you to be soft-bewildered by a bunch of THAC0 and weapon classes and hit die min/maxing. CRPGs have never really had a great gameplay/story integration experience. Class imbalance especially also frequently gets in the way of conversations. Especially in older CRPGs where you have a limited number of points and combat skills and speech skills are competing. You also still get the gist of how hard a fight is on story mode because you'll see your characters getting hurt really fast and get a sense of how the enemies move or how long they take to kill.

IE games are really at odds with themselves design-wise, and I'm not sure they're the best example of "a story mode cuts out the core of the experience." I think it's fine for people to want different things from the game. I never found BG's combat particularly entertaining despite beating it as a kid, it was always kind of a chore.

It did seem to me like you had to know some of the intricacies of 2E AD&D to make it through, since I think even if you go through the manual, I think it still doesn't make clear how things like the rock-paper-scissors-esque way in which magic defenses and penetrations work. I'm not sure what you mean by class imbalance and all, but in terms of conversation, I don't recall a whole lot of situations where diplomacy came up. The old Fallout games I thought did much better in letting you utilize non-combat skills to resolve quests, whereas in Baldur's Gate, Charisma feels a bit like a dump stat depending on the type of character you're playing.

I find the combat to be a chore as well, but without it, it seems like most of the game would just be 80% shuffling around towns and dungeons. Heck, if there's no need to get stronger, there's no need to go through some of the dungeons, apart from maybe equipment. It also makes it feel like there's no purpose to picking a class, and figuring out its strengths and weaknesses. Maybe I need to actually try it and see it in action, but if you still have to slog through a fight, it seems like it would be faster to cheat and just insta-kill your opponents with console commands.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 7, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

You don't know how happy this makes me. Not because of his playthrough, but because I can make... THIS

Dan Olson
Producteur - Folding Ideas

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

from's the only ones doing narrative correctly in games so yeah. they've legit ruined the medium for me.

Maybe unpopular opinion, but while I love and respect the From games, the Wiki-dump read-every-tooltip method of worldbuilding slash storytelling is maybe not the model that should be adopted across the board.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FoldableHuman posted:

Maybe unpopular opinion, but while I love and respect the From games, the Wiki-dump read-every-tooltip method of worldbuilding slash storytelling is maybe not the model that should be adopted across the board.

Hard agree, but that might also be because I don't think the lore of those games is all that interesting in the first place.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

FoldableHuman posted:

I agree, but I also think that it's a very, very good fit for that whole "video game archaology" aesthetic they're going for, where you're kind of trudging around at the end of things. Too many games have adopted it without thinking, but in concept and execution I think it benefits the Soulsborne games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I was always under the impression that FromSoft never put a great focus on the lore in their games. The story cutscenes and item descriptions always seemed like they were done as an afterthought, and that their main concern was making a RPG that played well, rather than telling a deep story. Regardless, the way it's presented and how you interact with characters make it so that the games have this weird, disjointed style to them, but in a way that makes it feel very surreal.

Interestingly, one of the King's Field games did something similar where instead of it being on the item itself, you took it to a fortune-teller, and she'd give you some background about it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 7, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FoldableHuman posted:

Yeah, it can make the player a very passive participant in the world, since the main interaction is choosing which lore snippet to read.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Max Wilco posted:

I was always under the impression that FromSoft never put a great focus on the lore in their games. The story cutscenes and item descriptions always seemed like they were done as an afterthought, and that their main concern was making a RPG that played well, rather than telling a deep story. Regardless, the way it's presented and how you interact with characters make it so that the games have this weird, disjointed style to them, but in a way that makes it feel very surreal.

Interestingly, one of the King's Field games did something similar where instead of it being on the item itself, you took it to a fortune-teller, and she'd give you some background about it.

this impression kinda implies that they were pretty successful implementing that style of worldbuilding, because it was very much an intentional design choice, miyazaki has talked about seeing english D&D books and fighting fantasy books with all the art and stuff that inspired him, but he couldn't read any of it, and had to kind of intuit a new story, which is something he wanted to capture for demon's souls and dark souls

considering the way people talk about the lore and the way it's kinda theorycrafted, it very much feels similar to ways people talking about real world mythology, it's pretty rad

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Remember. No Russian.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

From software games are to normal RPGs as Paradox Games are to normal strategy games. While we probably don't need their level of obtuseness spread across the entire genre, it would be nice if there were at least a few more examples of their mechanical depth.

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, sure, if you ignore the many, many times champions launched underpowered and had to be patched to not completely suck. But I guess that just means Riot are both money-grubbing AND incompetent, right? :allears:

As if they don't make the bulk of their money on skins anyway.
Yes to both statements, though less money-grubbing and less incompetent than GW obviously.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

games with bad gameplay are never a good thing.

Silent Hill 2.

FoldableHuman posted:

100% agree. 200%. The way the Souls games communicate and handle the direct story is great, but reading items for lore isn't any better than it is in the Elder Scrolls series.

Although to be fair, I think games just need less lore period.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

On being able to skip difficult sections of a game, God of War 3 had a feature where if you died enough times the game would just give you the option to switch to easy. The later Uncharted games even had a very easy feature for your friend who just wanted to play the fun interactive action movie game without having to figure out how to get good at the shooty parts. Just let players change the difficult at any time, and have some Baby Easy mode in there if you're concerned about a difficult part of your game alienating people.

Edit: God of War 3 is like Avengers: Infinity War, except you play as Thanos and part two doesn't have the heroes defeat him. It just has Thanos get old, grow a beard, and have a kid.

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 7, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mark Brown had a neat video about Resident Evil 4's hidden adaptive difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFv6KAdQ5SE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

TGLT posted:

Although to be fair, I think games just need less lore period.

:agreed:

Nothing worse than starting the game and the opening cutscene is one long blathering mess about how Proper Nouns were crucial to defeating Ominous Name at the Important Battle but in actuality it was all according to the plan of the Other Proper Nouns who had control of the Important Thing and...

As someone with audio processing difficulties, it might as well be the Peanuts adults talking for as much as I absorb from that stuff and it's a 50/50 chance whether or not it actually matters once I'm in the game.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 7, 2018