Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

threeagainstfour posted:

I don't feel bad for CM Punk because he is getting paid a ton of money to be really bad at fighting in the biggest MMA promotion.

I feel bad for Mickey. Gall finished Punk and Sage Northcutt, lost a decision, and the UFC hasn't made a peep about him since.

Agreed, he's legit a future contender and with the right string of fights, could really come into his own in the coming years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i feel bad for the unqualified well paid guy getting a gift match up against a bum who wouldn't even be on the roster otherwise

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

I keep thinking about how the UFC are putting two 0-1 guys on their main card and how absurd it is

Someone’s 0 has got to go! Only on ppv

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

I don't feel bad for CM Punk because he is getting paid a ton of money to be really bad at fighting in the biggest MMA promotion.

I feel bad for Mickey. Gall finished Punk and Sage Northcutt, lost a decision, and the UFC hasn't made a peep about him since.

Nierbo posted:

Agreed, he's legit a future contender and with the right string of fights, could really come into his own in the coming years.

i can't tell if this is sarcasm or if you guys really didn't watch the Randy Brown fight

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Its a closer and more compelling fight than Gall, who is young with a good coaching staff and had multiple pro/am wins going into the fight. Jackson is older and had an equally bad outing against their lone common competition and is a hobbiest without a notable training pedigree. It will be more interesting to see if a 30-something journalist with a mediocre pro boxing career can beat an almost 40-year-old whose body and brain are destroyed from a lifetime of wrasslin but had the money to train at a high level camp full time for three years and also thinks jiujitsu is neat cuz he saw it on a youtube

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd fight Michael Jackson for like minimum UFC payday of 8/8 any day, never mind the dosh CM Punk will be getting.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Its a closer and more compelling fight than Gall, who is young with a good coaching staff and had multiple pro/am wins going into the fight. Jackson is older and had an equally bad outing against their lone common competition and is a hobbiest without a notable training pedigree. It will be more interesting to see if a 30-something journalist with a mediocre pro boxing career can beat an almost 40-year-old whose body and brain are destroyed from a lifetime of wrasslin but had the money to train at a high level camp full time for three years and also thinks jiujitsu is neat cuz he saw it on a youtube

Wait this wacko jacko guy was a pro boxer? Lmao punk is fuckin dead (again)

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Mickey Gall has terrible striking and didn't he grab the fence and try to cheat the whole time when he lost?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

Mickey Gall has terrible striking and didn't he grab the fence and try to cheat the whole time when he lost?

he was super blatantly cheating the entire time and still got completely dominated lmao

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Robert Analog posted:

he also shouldnt be in the ufc and destroyed cm punk without even trying

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Alaois posted:

i can't tell if this is sarcasm or if you guys really didn't watch the Randy Brown fight

I didn’t watch that fight lmao.

If his performance was bad fair enough, but my point was more that he badly beat two fighters the promotion got behind in a big way and is now relegated to the forbidden zone while Punk is back to getting paid (presumably) a bunch of money to be terrible and get owned on a PPV.

edit: who you guys got in Bobby Knuckles vs Romero?

I think Whittaker gets him again and maybe finishes him if he doesn't get seriously injured again in the first 30 seconds.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 6, 2018

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

eric posted:

Someone’s 0 has got to go! Only on ppv

Double DQ in the first when they both kick each other's groins simultaneously.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

threeagainstfour posted:

I didn’t watch that fight lmao.

If his performance was bad fair enough, but my point was more that he badly beat two fighters the promotion got behind in a big way and is now relegated to the forbidden zone while Punk is back to getting paid (presumably) a bunch of money to be terrible and get owned on a PPV.

edit: who you guys got in Bobby Knuckles vs Romero?

I think Whittaker gets him again and maybe finishes him if he doesn't get seriously injured again in the first 30 seconds.

probably whittaker but im cheering for yoel romero

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Iirc he was an online blue belt before he made it to duke's, and open re-evaluation the general consensus was that he was closer to an average online white belt

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think yoel will win. Whittaker is good and cool but i dont think he will look a lot better or different than the first fight, and i think romero will have improved more

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

threeagainstfour posted:

i get the impression that this is Gall's choice, the guy needs to put in some serious work to compete with UFC fighters

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Whittaker is cool. He's impressed me a lot as one of those guys like Max (they came up around the same time too) who looked pretty raw en route to early back-to-back losses, but then improved by leaps and bounds in a short span, went on a crazy streak, and became a highly-watchable champion.

Despite that, I still have this feeling that Yoel is gonna do that thing where he kind of slowly plods around for a while and then suddenly his opponent's head explodes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've got whittaker

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

mewse posted:

I've got whittaker

Same. Considering it's likely his knee won't be in pieces 30 seconds into this fight.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I just think Yoel actually fought a pretty good fight against Whittaker the first time, and it still wasn't enough to beat an injured Whittaker.

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if he throws a flying knee from across the cage and knocks Whittaker out cold in round 4 either.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Wise Learned Man posted:

Despite that, I still have this feeling that Yoel is gonna do that thing where he kind of slowly plods around for a while and then suddenly his opponent's head explodes.

Same. I can't see Yoel wrestling this time round and it will look closer to the rockhold fight. Both fighters are fun to watch so I'm not too bothered who wins.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd fight Michael Jackson for like minimum UFC payday of 8/8 any day, never mind the dosh CM Punk will be getting.

This times a billion.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Chael said the WWE gave him one serious offer to join their show, under one or two conditions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBNkTn6SHv0

Rigel fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 6, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

david carmichael posted:

I think yoel will win. Whittaker is good and cool but i dont think he will look a lot better or different than the first fight, and i think romero will have improved more

How is Yoel going to have improved more at the age of 41?

Whittaker is 27 and looks better in every fight we see him in.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Memento posted:

Modern chemistry.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yoel Romero is awesome, it really has inspired me seeing him perform at that level and stay at the top of the game. He's helped me realize that, as a dude in his mid-30s, I too can take a shitload of steroids for years on end

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
ZHOELLL LEARN... FROM EEEEEBERRY MEEEENIT AB DE LESHT FAIGHT

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rigel posted:

Chael said the WWE gave him one serious offer to join their show, under one or two conditions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBNkTn6SHv0

On the one hand, I can absolutely see a scummy company like WWE doing this. On the other hand, the words are coming out of Chael Sonnen's mouth so how am I supposed to believe them?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

On the one hand, I can absolutely see a scummy company like WWE doing this. On the other hand, the words are coming out of Chael Sonnen's mouth so how am I supposed to believe them?

Chael's annoying because even though you know he's insane, he's good at articulating his points and it ends being hard to disagree with his reasoning.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Snowman_McK posted:

Chael's annoying because even though you know he's insane, he's good at articulating his points and it ends being hard to disagree with his reasoning.

This is only true if you are stupid

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

This is only true if you are stupid

Not really. He takes you down a chain of reasoning that sounds find until you realise the conclusion is bananas. It's essentially this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

I mean, it's not controversial that Chael is good at talking.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Memento posted:

1) yoel is on steroids

2) some small improvements to footwork could yield huge results for him. Same as some improvement on shot selection, etc. He likely wont be improving his strengths (power, strength, wrestling, speed, etc) but he has some weaknesses he could have focused on to give him a better chance at winning rounds

3) whittaker is very good and its hard to improve when you are already very good, especially in ways taht would matter against a guy like yoel

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

1) yoel is on steroids

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Yoel Romero is awesome, it really has inspired me seeing him perform at that level and stay at the top of the game. He's helped me realize that, as a dude in his mid-30s, I too can take a shitload of steroids for years on end

theres no steroids that will make a person like yoel romero. all that will happen to you if you take steroids for years on end is that youll become a balding neurotic sex tourist. listen up cos i know what im talking about since i read the tcc thread about them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope Whittaker wins, because he is cool and good :)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Jerusalem posted:

hell... same....

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerusalem posted:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

theres no steroids that will make a person like yoel romero. all that will happen to you if you take steroids for years on end is that youll become a balding neurotic sex tourist. listen up cos i know what im talking about since i read the tcc thread about them

Stay safe out there, Willie

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

I.N.R.I posted:

you say this like it is some kind of warning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I'm rooting for Whittaker, but Yoel is also extremely cool, so that would be fine.

OTOH put me on suicide watch if Colby wins

• Locked thread