Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

You can eat them here, you can eat them there. You can eat them anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Relevant Tangent posted:

are you eating that on a bedspread?
i don't know sardine thread etiquette
but eating on a blanket seems incorrect

the sea is a place of horror and suffering and our ancestors fled it because they were too weak to deal with the things that dwelt there
even today we are denied ~70% of our own planet due to the sheer monstrosity of the things that live in the depths

Look at this nonsense ^

cenotaph posted:

You can eat them here, you can eat them there. You can eat them anywhere.

This is correct

Today I had Bela 'dines in a bowl with spinach and arugula, feta cheese, red pepper flakes, and italian dressing and table crackers and I smiled as I ate it because it was delish

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Clicked then clicked away quickly.

numberoneposter posted:

i did it again

i bought the bag of ice berg mix, you know the one

a tin of dines, just regular and threw it all together

and finish it with italian dressing

for $4 CAD ($3.08 USD) its incredibly crunchy, zesty, and satisfying.

I'm eating your lazy salad right now but with finely chopped napa cabbage since I had no lettuce. Hit that poo poo with some Krafy Zesty Lime vinaigrette and can confirm: it's real good

Lunch was a tin of Polar smoked herring smushed up with dijon mustard and pickles, on toast with more cabbage. Also good. Going to try the same thing with fried SPAM tomorrow night. Shoving animals into cans was one of mankind's better inventions

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Any experience with the 'Polar' brand? Grocery Outlet has some really cheap bristlings in Olive oil. The tin has this see thru plastic cap I've never seen before. l.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Elea posted:

Any experience with the 'Polar' brand? Grocery Outlet has some really cheap bristlings in Olive oil. The tin has this see thru plastic cap I've never seen before. l.

I've had those and they look so pretty in the jar but idk the smoke flavor was just overpowering.

$1.99 though so go for it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hi thread. I tried Ayam sardines. They're pretty nice and firm. The szechuan sauce one has actual szechuan pepper in it so its pretty spiced.

http://ayam.com/all-sardines.html

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
KO meds + baby spinach + cherry tomatoes + ground pepper + pinch of lemon. A little overpowering, will add balsamic and an onion next time. I added a lot of oil from the can, which was probably my downfall

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Elea posted:

minority report: I love these things like my mother and don't find the smoke flavor overpowering, but just right. Polar is my current dine fave. I really like those jars, because you can eat just a couple fish for a snack and close the rest back up for the next meal. Jealous about the price tag, I have to order mine and I pay like $4 a jar for them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I feel like I'm the only one who always pours off the oil in oil packed dines. The oil flavor usually tastes rather stale to me. And it's not even tins from a particular brand or store.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
will donate 2 lowtax for a shipped jar of brislings 2 canada

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who always pours off the oil in oil packed dines. The oil flavor usually tastes rather stale to me. And it's not even tins from a particular brand or store.

Depends on the brand and recipe being used for me. With KO meds sometimes I'll mash up some dines in enough of their own herby oil to make a lazy sardine salad/spread.

Polar brand chat: I really like their kippered snacks. They're German in origin and Grocery Outlet almost always has them for $1.79. I suppose the smoke might be overpowering to some, but I eat smoked salmon like candy and these kippers are a treat.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I usually pour off the oil because I buy 'dines in olive oil and I don't need to chug all that fat. It's rare I actually cook with the sardines, but if I'm making a sandwich I'll use a little oil to toast the bread, and if I'm making a salad then I use the oil and add some vinegar for salad dressing.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Depends on the brand and recipe being used for me. With KO meds sometimes I'll mash up some dines in enough of their own herby oil to make a lazy sardine salad/spread.

Polar brand chat: I really like their kippered snacks. They're German in origin and Grocery Outlet almost always has them for $1.79. I suppose the smoke might be overpowering to some, but I eat smoked salmon like candy and these kippers are a treat.

They’re my favorite kipper brand too now, even over KO. But no one carries Polar locally for me :sigh: I really like that smoke level, but I can see where it would be too strong for some. I once had a history teacher say that I reminded him of Captain James Cook, who would eat just about anything set in front of him and call it “most excellent food.” I like liver and venison and sweetbreads and all kinds of gamey stuff, so for anyone fond of strong tastes I’d recommend Polar. I usually have to stop myself from eating the whole jar.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Jikes posted:

They’re my favorite kipper brand too now, even over KO. But no one carries Polar locally for me :sigh: I really like that smoke level, but I can see where it would be too strong for some. I once had a history teacher say that I reminded him of Captain James Cook, who would eat just about anything set in front of him and call it “most excellent food.” I like liver and venison and sweetbreads and all kinds of gamey stuff, so for anyone fond of strong tastes I’d recommend Polar. I usually have to stop myself from eating the whole jar.

Polar kippers might be my favorite too, after Trader Joe’s which I think has discontinued them.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
If I'm eating dines and crackers I'll drain the oil; if it's tomato dines I upgrade by cooking them into a tomato sauce with pasta; if it's a salad or something I use the oil as dressing ^__^

I tried lemon sauce dines a while back and the lemon/olive oil was lovely in a salad. I think Clover Leaf/KO mediterranean dines are still my fave for salad dressing though.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hi thread. I tried Ayam sardines. They're pretty nice and firm. The szechuan sauce one has actual szechuan pepper in it so its pretty spiced.

http://ayam.com/all-sardines.html

When I lived in Thailand I used to get the extra virgin olive oil, chilli, and peppercorn versions of these and they were always amazing.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Any of you had Matiz brand or Angelo Parodi portugese fishies? I'm looking at ordering some off of Amazon and just wondering if it's worth it to get the 10 pack of Angelo which is around $40. The Matiz fishies are $18 for 5 and $36 for 12

thanks and 'dine bless

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bonta is a very good quality dine for not a lot of money.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

pahuyuth posted:

Any of you had Matiz brand or Angelo Parodi portugese fishies? I'm looking at ordering some off of Amazon and just wondering if it's worth it to get the 10 pack of Angelo which is around $40. The Matiz fishies are $18 for 5 and $36 for 12

thanks and 'dine bless

Matiz in olive oil are very good and worth the premium price

My second favorite after Belas

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q95v5dmuVJw

Where the hell do I find those weird corn crackers I want to eat exactly this. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iio3SncKO7c

Also this looks so tasty drat. Malaysian Sardine Sandwich.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

Zoe posted:

Where the hell do I find those weird corn crackers I want to eat exactly this. :(

As a mexigoon, I approve this recipe.

My granny loves 'dines, she used to put some dines on top of a wheat tortilla, with pico de gallo (extra avocado). She's still kicking and I'm sure it's cause of the 'dines.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

PhantomPayne posted:

As a mexigoon, I approve this recipe.

My granny loves 'dines, she used to put some dines on top of a wheat tortilla, with pico de gallo (extra avocado). She's still kicking and I'm sure it's cause of the 'dines.

Got a great uncle on the Mexican side of the family who loves the 'dines and he's still in the cattle business at 79. Real Mexican food is actually pretty healthy with lots of seafood and fruit and stuff, it's kind of funny we've turned it into beef and corn slathered in sour cream and cheese.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Agreed, in our great melting potluck everyone has brought their favorite naughty foods, because who wants to be that person who brings a salad?

I usually bring a salad

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Kj17oVHAk

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Anyone tried the Bumble Bee mango habanero 'dines?

e: just got one can to try later and cracked open one of their plain olive oil for now. Nothing wrong with Bumble Bee although I think I'm just spoiled on the intensity of the KO experience and used to the peppercorn and the jalapeño ones.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 7, 2018

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

picked up a jar of pickled herring yesterday

grocery bill seemed oddly cheap

checked the receipt when i got home

free fish :coolfish:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

numberoneposter posted:

nice! Bet that made it taste even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zOarcL1BSc

But okay we need to all have a serious talk now about these animals conspiring to steal our sardines. (are those really even sardines though? They're huge!)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Zoe posted:

But okay we need to all have a serious talk now about these animals conspiring to steal our sardines. (are those really even sardines though? They're huge!)

We must work in cooperation with these fantastic dine herders! Truly the border collies of the sea.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zoe posted:

holy hell where do I download this winamp visualization

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

Vita, Blue Hill Bay/Acme, or some other brand? Blue Hill Bay/Acme is the best jarred pickled herring I've ever had.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Zoe posted:

Everyone watch this. He ocean is full of ‘dine theives! Raiding our pantries!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Zoe posted:

Maybe you could could ask a manager at your HEB about stocking them? I've never actually seen an HEB without a good selection of KOs/canned fishies in general. The only ones they always seem to lack are the Tapatio kind.

I got a KO taster kit of the Tapatio dines along with a post card to give to the manager to ask my local HEB to stock them. The manager just kind of looked at me like that wasn't a thing I could ask for, not could he possibly fulfill it. It was quite the letdown.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Zoe posted:

I've had those and they look so pretty in the jar but idk the smoke flavor was just overpowering.

:same:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Zoe posted:

the sardine label is a general term for a group of small oily fish species in the herring family. the north atlantic brisling sardines were probably used to eating grow to like 10cm lengthwise but other species categorized as sardines can more than double that. the ones that get past a certain size, like 30-40mm in length seem to get categorized as pilchards from what i'm reading but it comes down to regional fishing standards in regards to what gets sold with the sardine label and what gets sold with the pilchard label. so yeah, there's a bunch of different sized sardines

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hello 'dine thread. Due to this thread I decided to pick up some sardines and have a go at it. I had some a few years back and they weren't bad and I am still a little put off by them but they certainly aren't bad. Even if they weren't the tastiest thing, the health benefits and sustainability are great.

So behold. My dinner. A take on the Alton Brown recipe. Bread, spicy guacamole, and King Oscar Mediterranean 'dines. :coolfish:

:discourse:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
LOOKS DELICIOUS. well done :coolfish:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I'm snack the gently caress out of those lil fishies

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zoe posted:

For the record, I found this post by the uploader in the comments

"the ones I used are Salmas corn crackers from the Sannisimo brand. You might find them in Walmart, a local grocery store or amazon."

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

gently caress yeah this gave me sexual feelings

Greatbacon posted:

For the record, I found this post by the uploader in the comments

"the ones I used are Salmas corn crackers from the Sannisimo brand. You might find them in Walmart, a local grocery store or amazon."

thanks I'll have a look

Zoe fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I;m thinking about thos Dines