Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Got rejected. Feedback was along the lines of "the interview was great and everyone enjoyed talking with you about the successes in your work experience, but we've decided we need someone with industry Java experience". Not that it was a secret what my Java experience was from the start. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

sucks when that happens

but you can get another job

problem is there’s a high chance it’ll suck too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we've been interviewing people again at my job. recently we turned down a guy trying for a senior role who was a perfectly fine dev but not any more experienced than the ones we already have.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Space Whale posted:

The thing is, this is aviation. Not avionics, but more planning and writing the "oh poo poo" contingency plan for a given flight plan.

Fate is fickle but I'm not complaining.

Congrats! Planning / analysis / reporting applications in aerospace are neat because there's lots of cool poo poo in the domain and correct operation is important to safety (or $$$$) but it's not as locked-down as avionics.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

prisoner of waffles posted:

Congrats! Planning / analysis / reporting applications in aerospace are neat because there's lots of cool poo poo in the domain and correct operation is important to safety (or $$$$) but it's not as locked-down as avionics.

he's working at the uber, but for planes company.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

~our pilot-partners~

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

prisoner of waffles posted:

Yeah, but it is very important, and if you gently caress up stuff like weight balance in a plane, that can cause nose/tail strikes on takeoff. gently caress up takeoff procedure on very hot days, or based on your kit/modifications? Very bad!

I like how there's so much prep into "ok so if this engine goes, do that" so if poo poo did go down the pilot literally has a script to follow. I also like how at least one airplane (Something Mustang?) is apparently so light and small that if the pilot crawled into the lavatory in the back of the airplane, it would pitch up, and potentially crash, making for a literal dump of death.

I mean this is purely theoretical and I hope it never happens, but yes, you could literally shitpost a plane out of the sky. In a sense.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Eh this is more like the Waze but for planes.

Uber-for-planes so far is really more of a fractional ownership thing for slightly rich people, like you chip in and get X flights a year and it's ready in Y minutes (but if you live in bumfuck Alaska it has to be flown to you first, or a shuttle or w/e to get you to the big boy airport from your grass strip, too bad you have to ride a cub) type poo poo.

This place also does Waze-for-planes for poo poo like "I'm a rich gently caress and I'll drop 20Gs in fuel to go there the entire way at full throttle, plot me a fast safe way to go from A to B, just route me around places that might see my tail # and shoot me down please."

I should probably add that solid gold lavs came up in the interview. They are real. There are people THAT rich. lol.

Also for native instead of web based interfaces for the product, it's almost entirely iPads.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Space Whale posted:

Yeah, but it is very important, and if you gently caress up stuff like weight balance in a plane, that can cause nose/tail strikes on takeoff. gently caress up takeoff procedure on very hot days, or based on your kit/modifications? Very bad!

I like how there's so much prep into "ok so if this engine goes, do that" so if poo poo did go down the pilot literally has a script to follow. I also like how at least one airplane (Something Mustang?) is apparently so light and small that if the pilot crawled into the lavatory in the back of the airplane, it would pitch up, and potentially crash, making for a literal dump of death.

I mean this is purely theoretical and I hope it never happens, but yes, you could literally shitpost a plane out of the sky. In a sense.

wtf civilian aircraft has a lavatory but not positive stability?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Munkeymon posted:

I'm pretty sure the autopilot would change the trim, but then again this is just theoretical. Or since it's such a small airplane someone would just sorta go further forward?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

when you violate cg limits all bets are off

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

when you violate cg limits all bets are off

Lol so some very swept wing jets, like Lears, don't balance when empty of fuel, and on their own can comically just kinda fall over, just sitting there, without ballast or a tie-down on the lighter end of the plane. EDIT: Fuel goes in the wings, so if a lot of the wing is swept far back, there should be weight there, but then if it isn't there anymore, it's light, so it just sorts noses down. Felt I should explain this a little better.

Also, with CARGO planes, if your poo poo isn't tied down properly, say if a strap breaks, and a heavy thing slides back, you get tail heavy in a hurry. If your AoA is too high, especially on takeoff, sucks to be you. This is usually just a tail strike, not a flaming deathball, but poo poo happens.

Just much, much, much less often than someone fucks up in a car.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 7, 2018

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

turned down an offer, but i've got another in-person interview coming up. hope this one offers more than i'm making now!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Space Whale posted:

Also, with CARGO planes, if your poo poo isn't tied down properly, say if a strap breaks, and a heavy thing slides back, you get tail heavy in a hurry. If your AoA is too high, especially on takeoff, sucks to be you. This is usually just a tail strike, not a flaming deathball, but poo poo happens.

that happened to a iirc 747 carrying tanks the other year and someone caught it on dashcam. whole fuckin plane visibly shifts suddenly mid-takeoff and then falls right out of the sky like in a disaster movie

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
went and talked to a big newspaper publishing company since the recruiter made it sound kinda interesting (although he was vague about it). turns out the position is on the website team for one of the dumber tabloids, generating html server-side with vanilla js in node with handlebars from elastic search. the frontpage has so much third party marketing junk that all of their own first party frontend js is just vanilla, no frameworks at all. they also almost exclusively do pair programming and didn't seem to approve of the pull request/code review flow when I mentioned that's what I was used to. how about nope, then?

they did also mention that their backend team doing things in scala were looking for people too, but then the guy mentioned that despite having worked a lot in erlang and liking functional programming he wasn't a big fan of expressive type systems since he didn't like the compiler getting in his way. so, yeah, don't think i'll bite there either. i just want to write software that works, god drat it

gonna interview with the engineering guys on monday, hopefully their poo poo is more interesting

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

TheFluff posted:

i just want to write software that works, god drat it

it is depressingly hard to find employment doing this instead of making GBS threads out semi-functional js or ruby all day

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Munkeymon posted:

that happened to a iirc 747 carrying tanks the other year and someone caught it on dashcam. whole fuckin plane visibly shifts suddenly mid-takeoff and then falls right out of the sky like in a disaster movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Airlines_Flight_102

an MRAP wasn’t secured properly so it rolled backwards and destroyed all the hydraulic systems

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

TheFluff posted:

despite having worked a lot in erlang and liking functional programming he wasn't a big fan of expressive type systems since he didn't like the compiler getting in his way.

:catstare:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
this aviation place isnt in oregon is it

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

FamDav posted:

this aviation place isnt in oregon is it

Nah.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

exactly my reaction

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ok good because I had a job that was in exactly that domain 5 years ago and it was awful

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

gonna post my job hunt stats because why not

started applying places late feb
started getting interviews late march/early april
was contacted by xx third-party recruiters, and 2 first-party recruiters
made it to final stage at 4 places, 2 from the first-party recruiters and 2 from applying through the company website
out of those, 1 rejection (fb lol) and 3 offers within 3 days of each other
i want to say i tossed out probably... 70 resumes. a lot of those were before i honed it in towards the middle of April. 90% of the places i applied would require relocation.
most places took about ~1 month for the entire process.

but im also a fukboi and am going forward with 2 offers* now since my main choice hasn't confirmed that they started my background check
*offer contingent on security clearance (lol) and my ability to actually get hired for the contract once a spot opens up (double lol)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
last interview I went to I felt like they called me just to make fun of me in a roundabout way.

it was like 4 weeks ago, they didn't even bother to say anything after that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
this sounds like I'm hurt but actually I'm not even sure for now, I just think it was absolutely surreal

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Protip: never take a job that requires a clearance

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Protip: never take a job that requires a clearance

Alternatively ignore this post and make it yourself in like 2 years when you reach the same conclusion

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

in the inital screen with the internal recruiter for this python job i told them i never really wrote any python professionally, they said that was fine and they just wanted people that had experience making websites and would teach the python. in the technical interview when i mentioned i haven written much python the interviewer got upset for me wasting his time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Interviewer doesn't talk with screener, part MMLXVI

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

HoboMan posted:

in the inital screen with the internal recruiter for this python job i told them i never really wrote any python professionally, they said that was fine and they just wanted people that had experience making websites and would teach the python. in the technical interview when i mentioned i haven written much python the interviewer got upset for me wasting his time

I've learned that no matter how much even the hiring manager insists that it's okay, you're always going to get a whiny baby in the on-site interview who will disregard everything else in your experience so they can nitpick on programming language.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
vape some thc during the interview to establish dominance

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

qhat posted:

I've learned that no matter how much even the hiring manager insists that it's okay, you're always going to get a whiny baby in the on-site interview who will disregard everything else in your experience so they can nitpick on programming language.

It's easiest to just assume the recruiter and the interviewer have not talked or exchanged information about you at all, so nothing you've said or been told prior to the interview matters.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

vape some thc during the interview to establish dominance

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

FamDav posted:

ok good because I had a job that was in exactly that domain 5 years ago and it was awful

I believe I'm at their rear end kicking competitor. Did your job name start with a J?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

HoboMan posted:

Tell me if I'm wrong, but, isn't python easy to pick up?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
i like it when interviewers helpfully let you know that they're absolute morons. it's a bummer to find that out after you start working with them.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Fiedler posted:

i like it when interviewers helpfully let you know that they're absolute morons. it's a bummer to find that out after you start working with them.

I really love it when unicorn-hunters end up having other recruiters call you saying "Hey, $COMPANY needs to fill NOW, the hiring manager is feeling the heat from their higher ups" and you're like "Oh I'm already moving an hour away."

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qhat posted:

I went into an interview round without database experience on my resume and making it clear I didn’t know much about databases and one of the interviewers still insisted on asking me technical questions about databases and getting disappointed when I couldn’t answer them

got an offer anyway, but declined it because that guy would have been my boss

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

raminasi posted:

I went into an interview round without database experience on my resume and making it clear I didn’t know much about databases and one of the interviewers still insisted on asking me technical questions about databases and getting disappointed when I couldn’t answer them

got an offer anyway, but declined it because that guy would have been my boss

At a job fair while still in school, I was once asked to just read SQL and guess what it did and got it right, won a t-shirt, but they never called back :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Space Whale posted:

Tell me if I'm wrong, but, isn't python easy to pick up?

i was under that impression and that's also what the recruiter told me