Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The cold open was Macho Man carrying a bucket of poop into the arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hulkamatt and I talk survival matches in a car

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1003795656484548616

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
If you haven't listened to the interview from this weekend on the Post Wrestling feed with Mauro about his documentary, or haven't watched it, they're both really remarkable. The guy's an open book and a total sweetheart.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dave just flat out refusing to talk about Raw before Hiromu/Taiji was :discourse:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He was so disappointed when he couldn't put it off any more, haha.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Hey guys according to Bischoff on 83 Weeks Chris Jerichos book is full of poo poo too!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SalTheBard posted:

Hey guys according to Bischoff on 83 Weeks Chris Jerichos book is full of poo poo too!

Don't listen to the Bisch

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

harsh but fair criticism of all the chapters dedicated to Fozzy or drunkicho

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

Dave just flat out refusing to talk about Raw before Hiromu/Taiji was :discourse:

Haha yep

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Why would anyone listen to Eric Bischoff

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Why would anyone listen to Eric Bischoff

probably the same people that believe every single WWE documentary over actual historical research

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

People like Bisch doing these podcasts are really in a no win situation. It's word against word, people for some reason treat certain people's word as gospel and others are nothing, and they're getting grilled about stuff from over 20 years ago like anybody would remember the most minute poo poo. It's just entertainment but people take it so seriously.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RBX posted:

People like Bisch doing these podcasts are really in a no win situation. It's word against word, people for some reason treat certain people's word as gospel and others are nothing, and they're getting grilled about stuff from over 20 years ago like anybody would remember the most minute poo poo. It's just entertainment but people take it so seriously.

In Bischoff's case it is word against his own words (along with words recorded in documentaries made at the time, and evidence in those documentaries.)

In Prichard's case it's word against word, and like, Jerry Jarrett actually moving to CT and working at WWE.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Thinking that they need to be truthful at all is dramatically missing the point of these podcasts

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RBX posted:

Having the story to tell at all is a win for them, and is how they are buttering their bread these days, what with their career in the wrestling business going belly up like it has. Look at Russo, made good in the 90’s, lived off a dwindling rep in the aughts, reduced to a podcaster in the 10’s, hopefully he disappears for his next trick.

I think there is a lot be said for how excited these guys are and were to talk about and rehash Montreal, it’s the most important thing that ever happened for them, for Meltzer, it was Tuesday, in Texas*.

*Sunday in Montreal

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Eric Bischoff isn't froot in the slightest

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

In Bischoff's case it is word against his own words (along with words recorded in documentaries made at the time, and evidence in those documentaries.)

In Prichard's case it's word against word, and like, Jerry Jarrett actually moving to CT and working at WWE.

I understand. I'm just talking generally anyway.

remusclaw posted:

Having the story to tell at all is a win for them, and is how they are buttering their bread these days, what with their career in the wrestling business going belly up like it has. Look at Russo, made good in the 90’s, lived off a dwindling rep in the aughts, reduced to a podcaster in the 10’s, hopefully he disappears for his next trick.

I think there is a lot be said for how excited these guys are and were to talk about and rehash Montreal, it’s the most important thing that ever happened for them, for Meltzer, it was Tuesday, in Texas*.

*Sunday in Montreal

Did their career go belly up? They made millions and live conformable. What, are they supposed to do the same stuff the rest of their life? They got 10 years+ out of wrestling. It's a job, not a lifestyle. And reduced to a Podcaster is funny as if it's not one of the best jobs to have currently or that podcasts aren't insanely popular. Hell you're talking down Dave and Bryan if that's the case.

The only one who's talked about Montreal is Bruce and that was a long time ago, only once, and was requested. I think you're making up that narrative in your head.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RBX posted:

Did their career go belly up? They made millions and live conformable. What, are they supposed to do the same stuff the rest of their life? They got 10 years+ out of wrestling. It's a job, not a lifestyle.

The only one who's talked about Montreal is Bruce and that was a long time ago, only once, and was requested. I think you're making up that narrative in your head.

Russo's career definitely went belly up. His CD Warehouse venture went very badly. He wasn't poor poor, but he did need his job with TNA. Bischoff made a fortune and I'm sure Bruce did too. Jerry's not as well off as he used to be but he's downsized in a comfortable retirement.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
To hear Cornette tell it, Russo lives in his in-laws basement and hell I'm inclined to believe it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

RBX posted:

mkay0 posted:

Thinking that they need to be truthful at all is dramatically missing the point of these podcasts

Basically this right here. It's just entertaining to hear behind the scenes stuff of the time when I was super into wrestling because it was the hottest thing on TV. There is a lot of "he said...she said" but as I've mentioned the obviously worked tirades that Conrad goes off on every so now and then are kind of amusing and Bischoff, for all his faults, has always been a very good speaker.

It's like, I don't necessarily believe a word he says but I'm entertained listening to him say it.

RBX posted:

Thing is that Bischoff knows exactly what his role is, and has for 20 years. He's going to be the bad guy because he's the antagonist to beloved wrestlers and a guy who's well known for some of the worst decisions that destroyed a beloved industry. You're absolutely right that it's entertainment and Bischoff is a smart guy who knows what to say that will rile up the 'true believers' and generate his podcast some hits, which to an extent Prichard does too. It's also why the week after the Bret show, Dave mentioned what he knew about the Bret '96 contract situation and then basically told everyone to never ask him a question about Bruce or Eric again.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 5, 2018

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The first time I saw him on video I instantly said he's living downstairs in his parents house with his wife. There's no way it's anything different.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

VJeff posted:

To hear Cornette tell it, Russo lives in his in-laws basement and hell I'm inclined to believe it.

I 'm 100% willing to believe that terrible mess of a room he does his podcast videos from is also his bedroom.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
"I wonder if it's still soft"
-Tony Schiavone, about a bucket of week old poop

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RBX posted:

Did their career go belly up? They made millions and live conformable. What, are they supposed to do the same stuff the rest of their life? They got 10 years+ out of wrestling. It's a job, not a lifestyle. And reduced to a Podcaster is funny as if it's not one of the best jobs to have currently or that podcasts aren't insanely popular. Hell you're talking down Dave and Bryan if that's the case.

I was thinking of Bischoff and Russo specifically, and the others perhaps less so, but yes, I absolutely believe they are podcasting because it's the only thing in wrestling left for them. they both rode past success in the business to ever less spectacular failure until they no longer have people willing to hire them to work directly in wrestling. This is especially funny with Russo, who from all stories told, never liked wrestling in the first place, and yet still he clings to the edges of it like a lifeline.

Podcasting isn't embarrassing in and of itself, it's totally cool, though I would go so far as to say that it is secondary as to what Dave Meltzer's job actually is.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 6, 2018

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is the Torch worth reading? What makes it different from the Observer besides the fact Dave writes one and Wade the other?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Is the Torch worth reading? What makes it different from the Observer besides the fact Dave writes one and Wade the other?
The Torch has more distinct columns and sections than WON. More live reports from indies rather than results + "said to be a 4 star match." The best Torch content is the Bruce Mitchell podcast and archival stuff if you want deep dives into major stuff like steroid trial or WCW shutting down. Observer Live archives go back to ~1999 but Wade has some ancient interviews and radio shows worth checking out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh poo poo, the latest B&V Show is the Nitro where that one fan was just BELLOWING all through Nash's promo about how much he sucked and how HBK was better. I hosed lost it laughing watching that when it originally aired.

Also:

Bryan: Imagine Eric Bischoff is Steve Austin.
Vinny lets out a frightened yelp

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo, the latest B&V Show is the Nitro where that one fan was just BELLOWING all through Nash's promo about how much he sucked and how HBK was better. I hosed lost it laughing watching that when it originally aired.

Also:

Bryan: Imagine Eric Bischoff is Steve Austin.
Vinny lets out a frightened yelp

I remember MRT making this exact comparison on one of the first Monumental Podcasts as part of his argument that summer 1999 WCW was one of the worst periods in wrestling history.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Smoking Crow posted:

Torch has the infamous Bill Watts interview, so its worth a month just to hear that.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Solomonster's latest podcast has him answering a mailbag question "is a hot dog a sandwich?"

Which one of you goons sent that question?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you are a Street Fight patreon supporter you can now listen to me ramble on about stuff with Bryan for like an hour and a half.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

fart blood posted:

Solomonster's latest podcast has him answering a mailbag question "is a hot dog a sandwich?"

Which one of you goons sent that question?

That's not even a goon thing anymore. I'm not even kidding when I say that the eighth graders I work with argue about it all the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lance Storm is back on Figure Four Daily today to cover for Filthy Tom. I missed that Canadian Robot :allears:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://twitter.com/HeyHeyItsConrad/status/1004418487706677248

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so is it something from WWE thats loving with them or?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1004577429589934083

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that wrestling-fueled, racism-hating robot :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing is more WCW than the phrase "I got it by accident."

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The newest Art of Wrestling is an audio diary of this week.

Imagine possibly facing paying millions in damages potentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

He didn't do this for Backlash, the bias is real.