Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
We don't know if there is a cult yet. I don't want to read too much into kill flavor or any flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I feel like this is 3x in a row for me that I've been in am ecco game with a red herring cult cop.

I'm not saying this IS a red herring

But I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

If it isn't, see aforementioned thoughts

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

If the cult recruiter isn't dead by day 4, this game is effectively over

Good thing it's not D4 yet (or even close to D4). But agreed if there is a cult it would be good to get it rooted out now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I feel like this is 3x in a row for me that I've been in am ecco game with a red herring cult cop.

Ya I know. I have this same feeling where I'm like "Wow a red herring cult cop!" and there is no cult. Just because it's something thats happened in past Ecco games could mean that Ecco decided to do a curve ball here and actually add one.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

If it isn't, see aforementioned thoughts

maybe it's just me, but if there actually is a cult, who cares? I'm always going to play to my wincon regardless of alignment. Right now I want to lynch all threats to town: scum, cult, 3p, whatever. If there actually is a cult and I get recruited, then I'll just try to win with cult.

and if the cult cop is just a red herring, then we are essentially down 3 vanilla roles. It could be worse imo

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I lost my point on a salty speculative tangent. Flavor cases are bad and suspicious.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Wow. Less than an hour in real-time to go from

If there's a cult, legitimately. We've probably already lost.

to

If the cult recruiter isn't dead by day 4, this game is effectively over

and then straight to

We don't know if there is a cult yet. I don't want to read too much into kill flavor or any flavor.

That's a whole lot of swing.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Like I said... salty tangent

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I am uninterested in cult chat until I see a flip.

Two night kills in a small game, I'm inclined against it.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Slow game today. Keane, you have any reads other than Pod?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

AA, atone for making six posts about cults by making a case on someone you think is scum.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
^^very quiet. Too quiet.

CCKeane posted:

I don’t see how the night kills are relevant to the cult.

Anyway, enough cult chat.

I suppose there are better options than lynching soda. Still suspicious of AA. Meinberg is MIA after some very sus posts yesterday. Can’t shake the feeling that sal is scum but don’t have anything to support it, just a feel.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Went back and reread Hal and IS based on possible connections to the kills.

Hal:

Hal Incandenza posted:

Do you have a better option? (besides me)

AS has boxed us in. Can't investigate. Scum won't kill. Will flip scum. They either stay around as a distraction or we get it over with.

Hal Incandenza posted:

I mean maybe if AS was in here dazzling us with reads it might be different but we have heard nothing but the claim and "I'm not good enough to play this role"

Bottom line is the 3 options are:

1 - AS is possibly telling the truth but we won't know until the game is over and it will be a permanent distraction and possibly used against town. Also who would want AS in a LYLO situation?
2 - AS is a jester and leaves the game when dead
3 - Is scum gambitting and we won't know until the game is over

If someone has a great non-AS scum case today, I'm all for looking at that. Otherwise AS is kind of a detriment to town going forward. If I were scum I would want AS around as long as possible after that claim unless I was totally convinced she was a master scum hunter who would break the game open if left alive.

Pushed the ASoda execution along with others, but the way that he frames it as an absolute in these posts doesn't sit well with me.

Hal Incandenza posted:

I tend to believe it but it doesn’t change my attitude about what to do.

Mostly I was just being snide because people acting like I’m pushing some scummy agenda is irking me when I’m pretty clearly coming from a logical place. AS herself said mostly the same things I did

Also something about this strikes me as just a bit too offended at being prodded.

Summary: Eye on Hal - I wouldn't vote him right now but I'm getting gutfeels.

IllegallySober:
I already talked about some of their stuff before (link) but on a reread:

IllegallySober posted:

I'm having a real hard time parsing this, so to clarify; you're saying that your role PM contains reference to AS as a player specifically with a Death Miller claim, or that there is a player in the game who may be a Death Miller? And your role is similar in some way to AS's claimed role?

Also, ##unvote as we appear to be comfortably out of jokephase at this point.

- The unvote without dropping another vote feels a bit self-conscious, it was an obvious jokevote on DB and vote totals were nowhere near high enough to care about.

IllegallySober posted:

I'm surprised that on D1 we have three players claiming they will flip falsely (AS, Mona, Moat). I can't envision all three of those claims being true.

IllegallySober, do you still believe this to be true? You were against an AS vote at EOD, so what do you think of Moat and (by transitive property because he claimed too) AA? I assume from your posting re: AA that you've shifted that suspicion to him, but am curious about where you stand atm.

Also all that being said, his point about AA swinging around opinions pretty fast today is valid.

Summary: I I wouldn't vote IS today, it's just minor stuff.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Meinberg posted:

Looking back, I think my brain was more in a setup speculation mindset, that Council folks are scum. But I guess that doesn’t make much sense if one of them is a cop? Except Ecco game so who knows.

I don’t see as much heat in those interactions. They certainly exist, but none of them ping me as anything particularly off. Like, there was a lot more back and forth with you, which of course could lead to WIFOM to choose him as the kill to get suspicion on you.

I probably should take another look at Keane, there’s something to him that’s been feeling off to me.

Meinberg posted:

I think this might be at the crux of what’s throwing me, the shift in Keanu’s perspective about Mona, especially in the light of Mona’s flip. The first part seems like it’s going fairly hard at Mona, and the second, or so it seems to me, has him adjusting his stance significantly. Maybe I missed something in between the two, but it feels fishy to me.

Hm I don't like these at all. Your first post is hedgy as heeeeeeck and gives no actual opinions, and your second post ties two Keane posts together that are over an irl day apart where plenty happened in between. Feels like you're grasping for something.

##vote meinberg

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

maybe it's just me, but if there actually is a cult, who cares? I'm always going to play to my wincon regardless of alignment. Right now I want to lynch all threats to town: scum, cult, 3p, whatever. If there actually is a cult and I get recruited, then I'll just try to win with cult.

and if the cult cop is just a red herring, then we are essentially down 3 vanilla roles. It could be worse imo

Also this is a correct post re: people being histrionic about cults.

CCKeane posted:

And this is a fair point from a setup spec perspective.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

##Unvote I'm getting rid of my jokephase vote here.

Who do you think is scum, Sal? I see a "this is a thing scum Slamburger does" and then nothing other than +1s to people's posts and a drive on ASoda yesterday. You also said you'd vote me for "flip flopping," is that still the case today?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Hey pod how do you feel about BK?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Podima posted:

Who do you think is scum, Sal? I see a "this is a thing scum Slamburger does" and then nothing other than +1s to people's posts and a drive on ASoda yesterday. You also said you'd vote me for "flip flopping," is that still the case today?

I was playing in 2 games at the same time which was a little much for me :( But I'm only in one game now so basically I thought all your reads (especially the one on Meinberg) were good. I feel like once you got your feet underneath you, you were back to being good ole' Pod that I expect. I just got home from a late night at work and would like to re-read some of the thread before I'm able to more succinctly answer your question.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Does no one else think Pmoms case on me is dumb?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Nvm I'm an idiot bk replaced out

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Podima posted:

IllegallySober:
I already talked about some of their stuff before (link) but on a reread:

- The unvote without dropping another vote feels a bit self-conscious, it was an obvious jokevote on DB and vote totals were nowhere near high enough to care about.

IllegallySober, do you still believe this to be true? You were against an AS vote at EOD, so what do you think of Moat and (by transitive property because he claimed too) AA? I assume from your posting re: AA that you've shifted that suspicion to him, but am curious about where you stand atm.

Also all that being said, his point about AA swinging around opinions pretty fast today is valid.

Summary: I I wouldn't vote IS today, it's just minor stuff.

I'm out for a while this evening but quoting this so I remember to come back to it when I have more time to devote to it.

Short version- AA is on my radar today for the wild shift in opinions but so are a couple of others. Longer version to come later.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Moatillata posted:

Hey pod how do you feel about BK?

:ironicat:

Also PMom's case on you is eh. I'm not sure whether their quoting you out of order is accidental or not, but the interaction he calls out doesn't seem objectionable to me - I see it as you upgrading your opinion on me between D1 and start of D2 when read in the proper order. I'd categorize it as "maybe" but I want to see if he picks up over time, he usually does given time and he did replace in too.

How do you feel about Meinberg and Sal?

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
good morning

hi pod i have some followup questions for you re: this

Podima posted:

I already addressed this as part of my first post today but let me know if it's unclear. Having given it some thought, I'm still fine with Keane for right now.

about this

quote:

i'm really interested in hearing from pod re: his read late yesterday re: keane, and that post he really liked that i didn't. i liked keanes posting by end of day much better but he's still on the scum list, and it weirded me out that pod said this:

you say you've addressed my questions in the below post

Podima posted:

Time for some kill choice analysis, because nobody ever does that and it's regretful. Neither was a lurker kill going by postcounts.

Dick Bastardly (who is currently probed anyways, lol)
- Jokephase farting around

- I was straight up wrong about this being PR hunting, it was a reaction against Keane's point versus ASoda (cc: Keane/ASoda who pointed my misread out)

- Circled back around to being on ASoda
- Pushed Hal for pushing ASoda

- Shifted off of ASoda, proposed Keane/Hal/TM as executions
- Came in and voted ASoda anyways near deadline, which I called out

Summary: Possible connections to Keane/Hal for that kill. I also sparred with DB at EOD but I realized my mistake over the PR hunting bit after an overnight reread. I was rushed at EOD, replacing in hours before deadline!
*snip*

i don't really think this is an answer to my question, except that it is true you just replaced in (noted :))

i'd specifically like to know what thoughtful analysis you thought was contained in this:

CCKeane posted:

So here's why I'm suspicious, here.

Atomic Soda just made a death miller, PGO claim, right? So claiming death miller is fine and all, but then AS makes the PGO claim, which eliminates most potential benefits of the position (while also eliminating some negatives - a bus driver makes AS another night kill possibility)

and then seperately in this

quote:

So I suspect there's some back end treachery going on here, and I don't know even to figure out the exact details, but something stinks a bit.

i ask bc you indicated you liked this thoughtful analysis from keane, and i'd like to understand further and more specifically what it was you liked, sorry to keep banging on

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Pinterest Mom posted:

Moat's giving me weird vibes, my choice rn. I really dislike the hedging they're doing on Pod, where they're almost calling Pod town, but seem like they're setting themselves up to change their mind in a weird way? And the push on Keane d1 seemed spurious.

like why do you specifically call out someone you think is probably town to make more content???

##vote moat

what is this. you voted moat with all the claiming that is going on for being unsure and suspicious about someone, that other people are also suss as? and for asking them to post? this is bad.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Moatillata posted:

Like, when I saw Mona say organically he was council aligned that all but cleared him to me since it matched my own flavor. I immediately claimed because I felt we gave credence to each other. I actually felt kinda relieved. AA didn't react in this way. It feels off to me.

yep

i haven't seen aa answer my questions yet.

quote:

if you die what will you flip as aa?

Atomic Soda posted:

i'd love to hear more about your good feeling aa.

Atomic Soda posted:

can you explain this post a bit more aa, in light of the council stuff?

re:

Alignment talk may be moot. I have my alignment expressed as town in 3 separate ways in my PM

i say this

I think that Moat thought Council-Aligned was a pseudo-miller, and myself thinking it synonymous with town is indicative that we are both likely town. I read Moat's posts several times last night after he called out my timing on claiming council, to see if I thought he was possibly fabricating a narrative or establishing an early safe claim, but that honestly does not appear to be the case.

I'm still wary on Pod, but less so than originally and more so than when I said he was probably good.

but i'm still trying to put it together, sorry for the repetition but.

what is your alignment aa, and what will you flip as?

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

b-minus1 posted:

cult = death by suicide. ok, i guess that makes sense...

lol god drat it.

I wish soda would post more though.

how lol

no point worrying if there is or isn't a cult atm tbh

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

IllegallySober posted:

I'm out for a while this evening but quoting this so I remember to come back to it when I have more time to devote to it.

Short version- AA is on my radar today for the wild shift in opinions but so are a couple of others. Longer version to come later.

looking forward to your read on aa cause he sure is pinging me atm

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Atomic Soda posted:

good morning

hi pod i have some followup questions for you re: this

about this

you say you've addressed my questions in the below post

i don't really think this is an answer to my question, except that it is true you just replaced in (noted :))

i'd specifically like to know what thoughtful analysis you thought was contained in this:

and then seperately in this

i ask bc you indicated you liked this thoughtful analysis from keane, and i'd like to understand further and more specifically what it was you liked, sorry to keep banging on

I'm not sure why you're breaking his post up into two pieces, but IIRC my thought process at the time was "he's taking the time to break down his issues with the claim rather than just going for the easy push" which is more than anyone had done at that point in time.

Why ARE you breaking up his post into two pieces? The last line on its own is a whatever throwaway, but the first line is the meat of what I was commenting on.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Podima posted:

I'm not sure why you're breaking his post up into two pieces, but IIRC my thought process at the time was "he's taking the time to break down his issues with the claim rather than just going for the easy push" which is more than anyone had done at that point in time.

Why ARE you breaking up his post into two pieces? The last line on its own is a whatever throwaway, but the first line is the meat of what I was commenting on.

because you said that you missed the bk and mona comment he made, but you liked the rest of his argument. i want to know what you like about these bits of his post , without bk/mona bits.

i mean the original post looks like this

CCKeane posted:

Atomic Soda just made a death miller, PGO claim, right? So claiming death miller is fine and all, but then AS makes the PGO claim, which eliminates most potential benefits of the position (while also eliminating some negatives - a bus driver makes AS another night kill possibility)

But why mention BK and Mona like this? Because AS just outted BK and Mona if they are power roles. For no reason.

So I suspect there's some back end treachery going on here, and I don't know even to figure out the exact details, but something stinks a bit.

and your post i'm referring to is this (my bolding)

Podima posted:

Hm I did skip this though, thank you. I glazed over it a bit because the rest of your post is thoughtfully analyzing the claim (and again it jibes with what you just said, though I missed it), whereas DickB's post only focuses on that. In that context though it's certainly not as significant as I thought it was.

so i want to know, what thoughtful analysis are you getting from the rest of this post. i hear what you say re: him not just accepting the claim, but we are talking in context of you calling out db, and then being asked why it is any different what keane did. you were apparently distracted by keanes great posting, so i want to hear more about what struck you.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is Keane's post:

CCKeane posted:

But why mention BK and Mona like this? Because AS just outted BK and Mona if they are power roles. For no reason.

Like I just said, it talks about your claim in a thoughtful way. I missed the part about PRs, as labeled for emphasis.

This is DB's post (and the next one after it), further down that same page:

Dick Bastardly posted:

Why would Ecco straight up just tell a scum AS that BK and Mona are PRs?

Dick Bastardly posted:

On that same line of thinking, AS probably lied about knowing BK and Mona are PRs.....?

So I guess either way it looks bad for AS. I dunno.

To my read, DB just jumped right to the PR thing out of the entire claim without any preamble as his first non-jokephase posts as if that's all he was thinking about. That's the distinction I was trying to make at the time. Does that clear things up?

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
hm, i'm going to drop it for now. i don't agree with you on this at all and find the "thoughtful" read w/o more details to be suspect, but there is also the option that we are reading those two posts in completely opposite ways

what do you think of pmom and aa?

Podima posted:

Good observation re: AA's timing but note that he's specifically not claiming council mechanically - just in flavor. I was also just in a game where AA (as scum) grossly misread his PM and spent the rest of the time scrambling to cover his own gaps, so it's making me go hmm in general.

i kind of agree with you on aa generally, and wish he'd specifically confirm the first bit

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Atomic Soda posted:

yep

i haven't seen aa answer my questions yet.

re:

i say this

but i'm still trying to put it together, sorry for the repetition but.

what is your alignment aa, and what will you flip as?

I've already answered this though.

Council-Aligned. Town-Aligned. It's expressed as both in my PM, however as far as what I would flip as, that's up to Ecco. Lunch me, find out? I'm town this go around.

Wild shifting is nothing new to me, regardless of alignment. Read any game I'm in, reflect in how I've been with you in games I'm in. My opinion shifts like a flame in the wind.

I'm not looking for what sticks, I just flow of consciousness at all times, there's no off switch.

Anyhow, I'm feeling just eh about things so it's whatever to me.

Council-Aligned. Town-Aligned. As far as my PM is concerned, they are synonymous.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

I've already answered this though.

Council-Aligned. Town-Aligned. It's expressed as both in my PM, however as far as what I would flip as, that's up to Ecco. Lunch me, find out? I'm town this go around.

Wild shifting is nothing new to me, regardless of alignment. Read any game I'm in, reflect in how I've been with you in games I'm in. My opinion shifts like a flame in the wind.

I'm not looking for what sticks, I just flow of consciousness at all times, there's no off switch.

Anyhow, I'm feeling just eh about things so it's whatever to me.

Council-Aligned. Town-Aligned. As far as my PM is concerned, they are synonymous.

so there is nothing saying which way you would flip/its a coin toss? interesting, this does not line up with what i have. moat?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Atomic Soda posted:

so there is nothing saying which way you would flip/its a coin toss? interesting, this does not line up with what i have. moat?

^^ yeah if moat confirms this is not how his PM states his council alignment I think its pretty clear AA is lying. If Ecco screwed up AA's PM, he can file a complaint with customer service after he's dead.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Slamburger posted:

^^ yeah if moat confirms this is not how his PM states his council alignment I think its pretty clear AA is lying. If Ecco screwed up AA's PM, he can file a complaint with customer service after he's dead.

Yowza this reads like readying an excuse when a player flips town.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Atomic Soda posted:

Because what you have is a hot garbage claim and we should have dunked you.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Because what you have is a hot garbage claim and we should have dunked you.

This is the kind of post someone makes when they got caught lying.

CCKeane posted:

Yowza this reads like readying an excuse when a player flips town.

And this is what their scumbuddy posts. Are you more interested in my dumb joke than the fact that AA is obviously lying?

Ecco didnt screw up. AA is probably scum+council and thinks he is a godfather or something, and lied about what his "town" PM looks like and got caught.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Nah, I hosed up like that game. I'm not the brightest crayon, but I'm not actually brain dead.

I'm exactly what I've said quit jumping to asinine conclusions with nothing to support it other than your suspicion.

Prove anything I've said is actually wrong and we can talk baby.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Atomic Soda posted:

Mona also made it pretty clear they would flip "council" and not "maybe one or the other who knows"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Nah, I hosed up like that game. I'm not the brightest crayon, but I'm not actually brain dead.

I'm exactly what I've said quit jumping to asinine conclusions with nothing to support it other than your suspicion.

Prove anything I've said is actually wrong and we can talk baby.

Lol "prove it" yeah that's a solid mafia defense

• Locked thread