Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I wouldn't hold out hope for an adequate explanation of anything. I mean that is a reasonable expectation to have and you suspend some disbelief in your alien invasion fiction but you can't start pulling threads sometimes.

Why did a race of aliens with fantastic mechanical abilities and enough automated drones to wipe out our entire population and then police the entire planet need a few million primates to turn bolts in a factory?

How can the ground factories replace the production of the space defenses that were lost when The Factory on the moon was destroyed? Why weren't they used all along to speed up construction if they are capable of at least equal output to the moon factory? If the space defenses were that important why weren't they constructed first no matter the cost of life instead of sticking to a multi-year scheduled plan that involves teaching schoolchildren about robot jesus and making lucky charms?

Why can't a space faring, interstellar race of aliens with extremely advanced technology like spaceships and a global network of extremely advanced drones find a large group of humans living in a light forest? Why do their drones constantly fly over people, not noticing them?

Why can't this extremely advanced machine based race also conduct mass surveillance without parking fallible IT nerds in front of camera feeds that aren't everywhere? How are they constantly and repeatedly unable to find suicide bombs that are placed in everything, constantly?

Why does Bram look like he bit into a lemon poo poo sandwich 100% of the time?

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I wouldn't hold out hope for an adequate explanation of anything. I mean that is a reasonable expectation to have and you suspend some disbelief in your alien invasion fiction but you can't start pulling threads sometimes.

Why did a race of aliens with fantastic mechanical abilities and enough automated drones to wipe out our entire population and then police the entire planet need a few million primates to turn bolts in a factory?

How can the ground factories replace the production of the space defenses that were lost when The Factory on the moon was destroyed? Why weren't they used all along to speed up construction if they are capable of at least equal output to the moon factory? If the space defenses were that important why weren't they constructed first no matter the cost of life instead of sticking to a multi-year scheduled plan that involves teaching schoolchildren about robot jesus and making lucky charms?

Why can't a space faring, interstellar race of aliens with extremely advanced technology like spaceships and a global network of extremely advanced drones find a large group of humans living in a light forest? Why do their drones constantly fly over people, not noticing them?

Why can't this extremely advanced machine based race also conduct mass surveillance without parking fallible IT nerds in front of camera feeds that aren't everywhere? How are they constantly and repeatedly unable to find suicide bombs that are placed in everything, constantly?

Why does Bram look like he bit into a lemon poo poo sandwich 100% of the time?

Ultimately, the answer to most of this is that "The Occupation" is inspired by real life Nazi occupation and by how they let local collaborators and allies run territories and camps to free up troops and resources for the front.

But an in-universe explanation could be that the Raps didn't or couldn't bring any sophisticated manufacturing capabilities with them, so they can't build any drones or machines here until they gradually rebuild their manufacturing base. Like, if you want to build a Kuka industrial robot arm from zero, you first have to build a bed for the geologist who will prospect for iron ore. It's an extremely complicated supply chain with half the planet involved.

Also, my guess is that the weird religious cult poo poo is coming from the Occupation. Probably a long term population management plan some sociology dork pitched to the Global Authority in a PowerPoint presentation. The aliens just want order and a steady supply of labor to dig ditches and don't care how it gets done.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I've been thinking, maybe it'll be some sort of "humans are the real villains after all" kinda thing. Maybe the raps/clicks were invited here, the last remnants of some dead race, and used by some sort of radical ends justify the means human group to "prepare" the earth for whatever this other threat is? Their machines and just are pretty much enacting some super radical plan instigated by some sort of earth cabal to make the earth ready to fight "the real bad guys". One of the flashbacks had those scientists hearing the rap transmission in like the 70s. Probably wrong but could be an interesting use of that kinda cliched storyline.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Also, my guess is that the weird religious cult poo poo is coming from the Occupation. Probably a long term population management plan some sociology dork pitched to the Global Authority in a PowerPoint presentation. The aliens just want order and a steady supply of labor to dig ditches and don't care how it gets done.

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but didn't one of the other Proxies recommend Snyder rely more heavily on this new religion and he basically said that he's not a big fan? So it's more like one of many tools to keep the population in check, and if it doesn't work, you try something else.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
all of the clicks are just his dead kid, reflected in time travel

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grognan posted:

all of the clicks are just his dead kid, reflected in time travel
Well one of the things that made me go "time travel" in the first place is how the drones seem to ignore certain people, so maybe they need important people to survive. One of those being the kid.

But now he's dead, and I wonder if that will just be a thing the family deals with, or if the Clicks freak out about it as well.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bring back old gbs posted:

Well one of the things that made me go "time travel" in the first place is how the drones seem to ignore certain people, so maybe they need important people to survive. One of those being the kid.

But now he's dead, and I wonder if that will just be a thing the family deals with, or if the Clicks freak out about it as well.

I really don't think that's the case. If this list of people absolutely, must survive due to timeline things they'd be trying a lot harder just a "Do not vaporize" facial recognition program. That drone saw that Sawyer was hanging on the wall in a precarious position and just let him continue on. I doubt the aliens, especially machines, would let the current timeline hinge on one guy's ability to not slip and fall to his death while carrying a child up a rope. Last season a bunch of the special chosen humans (presumably on the same list) were killed in their stasis pods by the resistance in Bran's happy fun camp adventures and time did not unravel. I think they've just got special, probably genetic, traits that are marginally more useful to the clicks than they average human who's best use is being rendered down into a thick paste.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

counterfeitsaint posted:

I really don't think that's the case. If this list of people absolutely, must survive due to timeline things they'd be trying a lot harder just a "Do not vaporize" facial recognition program. That drone saw that Sawyer was hanging on the wall in a precarious position and just let him continue on. I doubt the aliens, especially machines, would let the current timeline hinge on one guy's ability to not slip and fall to his death while carrying a child up a rope. Last season a bunch of the special chosen humans (presumably on the same list) were killed in their stasis pods by the resistance in Bran's happy fun camp adventures and time did not unravel. I think they've just got special, probably genetic, traits that are marginally more useful to the clicks than they average human who's best use is being rendered down into a thick paste.

Ohhh yeah I forgot about the pods last season. Show just seems to be hitting us over the head with "these people are special" they didnt get killed on the wall, they didnt get killed when the mech found them in the field, but its not doing the tropey "it's the kids, they want them because their brains are different!!" thing.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

There was a line from the CIA lady in the first season, way before they revealed what the raps actually are, about how we (humans) perceive time differently. It was a one line thing, then Broussard shot her in the face.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We do know that the Rap have been planning this for a while because there was that flashback last season of NASA getting a signal from space that was implied to be them.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

There was a line from the CIA lady in the first season, way before they revealed what the raps actually are, about how we (humans) perceive time differently. It was a one line thing, then Broussard shot her in the face.

Ah fucker its time travelling future humans....

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Ah fucker its time travelling future humans....

For whatever it's worth, CIA lady was on the phone with someone and died just like anyone else would have. It was phrased however to make it seem like she was something more than she appeared but that's as far as it ever went.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
or it's like Person of Interest and they (somehow in the future in this case) loaded their own profiles into the collectives "ignore" list.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Broussard shooting her in the face is a metaphor though, that time is a closed circle.

you can tell by the exit wound in the back of her head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah she said "their perception of time is different" so while I kinda doubt literal time travel is involved, there is certainly something there.

When they revealed the pods my first thought was "they need more consciousnesses to put in orange balls" and I'm still fairly sure that's part of their plan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

When they revealed the pods my first thought was "they need more consciousnesses to put in orange balls" and I'm still fairly sure that's part of their plan.

Oh, of course! Each ball contains hundreds of appropriated consciousnesses, not just one mind, That's why Host retaliation tactics are apparently so disproportional -- when in fact it's closer to one:one -- and what they're rendering the human population into during total rendition events.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Hello Matthew Kellogg!

edit: Is that Wayne Brady?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I always knew Wayne Brady would play a prominent role in the end times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo we really are getting Emperor Snyder's rise to power in the IGA, that plotline is already great and I'm totally psyched about it

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm liking Synder's storyline now. Especially since you don't actually know what he is going to do. He is obviously motivated by Charlie's death but who knows what that will involve.

It was a little weird to see Bram instantly buy into Occupation propaganda though. He has worked in their prison camps, was a part of the Red Hand, has committed terrorist attacks and seen everything that his parents have in regards to the brutal and murderous authoritarian regimes but he finds a flyer and goes "This flyer says that things are nice in Seattle. They are a different kind of colony."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love anything about these mechs. They remind me of the things from Abes Exodus.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So did the mechs just wake them up and make them leave their poo poo behind but then gently caress off as soon as they were walking down the correct road towards Seattle?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Snyder flagged the bowmans as "don't gently caress with these people" in their HR system on the downlow after his ascension.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think the labour shortages might just mean drone behaviour has changed from 'gib on sight' to 'herd towards colony.' Or maybe that's just because they're close enough to a block to be realistically herded.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

precision posted:

Holy poo poo we really are getting Emperor Snyder's rise to power in the IGA, that plotline is already great and I'm totally psyched about it

This guy fucks!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

seattle is just a new take on how to internally govern a colony, more paris in '41 than dachau in '44. the original plan was to build death rays and death stars... and maybe that death blossom thing from the last starfighter... over a couple of decades, but now the raps need humans to go out there and whoop some rear end the old-fashioned way. red hats and grey hats are one thing, but there would never be enough of them.

they did say they were making a 'biological weapon' and no joke, we're probably earth's most perfect version of that.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

jfood posted:

seattle is just a new take on how to internally govern a colony, more paris in '41 than dachau in '44. the original plan was to build death rays and death stars... and maybe that death blossom thing from the last starfighter... over a couple of decades, but now the raps need humans to go out there and whoop some rear end the old-fashioned way. red hats and grey hats are one thing, but there would never be enough of them.

they did say they were making a 'biological weapon' and no joke, we're probably earth's most perfect version of that.

That makes perfect sense. They are going to launch the Bowmans on missiles at the enemy fleet and after a season all of the enemy will be dead just like everyone in the show they meet aside from Snyder. That's why they refuse to kill the family.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
They're just going to let the other aliens invade, start their own colony, and let the bowmen and buddies tear them up from the inside like they did LA.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That makes perfect sense. They are going to launch the Bowmans on missiles at the enemy fleet and after a season all of the enemy will be dead just like everyone in the show they meet aside from Snyder. That's why they refuse to kill the family.

This show makes me think of Fear the Walking Dead in which the "heroic" survivor family ends destroying any sort of stable society they come across.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I enjoyed the fact that they explained how petrol breaks down after a time and therefore they can't just instantly start up cars and get going like people do in every other post-apocalypse show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God, the Bowman part of this week's episode was so loving bleak.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm confused about the population dynamics in this show. Where are all these refugees coming from? I thought the world was mostly empty outside the colonies? Also, how much loving labor could they possibly need? There must still be a billion people left in the world or something.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

God, the Bowman part of this week's episode was so loving bleak.

Mr Bowman is really good at selling his auto mechanic cover story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I'm confused about the population dynamics in this show. Where are all these refugees coming from? I thought the world was mostly empty outside the colonies? Also, how much loving labor could they possibly need? There must still be a billion people left in the world or something.

The major cities all got locked down but we really don't know what happened with all the spots inbetween. Considering all the talk about manpower shortages I doubt they could sweep the entire country. So there are probably still groups of people living out there, they just no longer have any access to modern infrastructure.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Octy posted:

I enjoyed the fact that they explained how petrol breaks down after a time and therefore they can't just instantly start up cars and get going like people do in every other post-apocalypse show.

Ya felt like a direct reference to TWD's shenanigans with cars. ^^
At this point its actually even the better show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LinkesAuge posted:

Well in all fairness it's not exactly a high bar.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

LinkesAuge posted:

Ya felt like a direct reference to TWD's shenanigans with cars. ^^

Actually Walking Dead's explanation for why cars still work is that hardly any time has passed since the outbreak. Less than two years. Don't ask how everyone has aged 8+ years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Actually Walking Dead's explanation for why cars still work is that hardly any time has passed since the outbreak. Less than two years. Don't ask how everyone has aged 8+ years.

Gas starts to oxidize after around 30 days and this reaction makes it go bad.

Even with fuel stabilizer the most you would see for the shelf life would be around 3-5 months.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This season of Colony is better at doing TWD than TWD ever has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, I don't think they actually killed people outside the colonies. I think just lawlessness and attrition lead to most of the deaths outside of like, specific glassed cities like Dallas.

That said, I had an interesting thought that a lot of the really bad ideas and labor usage comes from the IGA. Like the deliberately made this a lot worse than it could have been to cement their power. Like I don't think the raps care that much about people, but they don't really strike me as the sort that'd gleefully shoot themselves in the foot, which is a lot of what we've seen so far in the show.

Also you'd think if they wanted things built that it'd be easier to leave earth mostly intact with it's existing industrial base than start from scratch. But if the IGA told them it was the only way...

• Locked thread