Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought the OA was great and weird and had a pretty lousy finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zzulu posted:

I thought the OA was great and weird and had a pretty lousy finale

super agreed it was pretty neat (and Jason Isaacs :3:) until the last episode

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

having a go at The Wire; seems v good so far

eta: in the fwiw department, some other excellent crime dramas we’ve recently binged: Broadchurch, True Detective S1 (just S1), Endeavor (a murder mystery series, but good if you like that sort of thing)

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 6, 2018

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just finished GoT for the first time. Was pretty awesome and I think lived up to the hype for the most part.

Now to start The Office (US) for the first time after coworkers keep begging me about it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
In other late to the party news it took like forty minutes for downton abbey to get good and now I'm pretty committed because it's very awesome lol

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

In other late to the party news it took like forty minutes for downton abbey to get good and now I'm pretty committed because it's very awesome lol

Hm. I gave in at about twenty minutes when I tried it, if I remember right. Maybe I should go back and give it another go.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

More main characters die in Downton Abbey than Game of Thrones

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Annual Prophet posted:

having a go at The Wire; seems v good so far

you may dislike season 2 on first viewing; however on the inevitable rewatch it will be one of your favorites

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

you may dislike season 2 on first viewing; however on the inevitable rewatch it will be one of your favorites

Season 2 has some of the very best characters.
It's Valchek's time to shine.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I've just finished S1 off The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's fairly timid for the first four episodes, and I was unsure if I was into it, then in episode 5 it suddenly takes off the brakes and decides to lean right into being weird as hell and becomes pretty drat funny.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Binged through Tangled the Series because Season 2 comes out this month and I quite enjoyed it. I liked Cass, Lance and Varian quite a bit as new additions and am interested to see where the story goes from here.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

More main characters die in Downton Abbey than Game of Thrones

speaking of, season 3 spoilers Is season 4 onward still good? Matthew was one of my favorite characters and I kind of lost interest after he died, but to be fair I only watched s04e01 so far. I just got distracted with other stuff but I find myself not as willing to give it a shot

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
With Downton Abbey after the first season the trick is to stop watching whenever you lose interest because it won't get any better.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I love Downton Abbey and have watched the entire series three times. While some characters come and go, and the deaths of Sybil and, especially, Matthew sting and take some time to recover from, I do think the quality of the show is consistent throughout. Rose is one of my favorite characters even though she doesn't come in until the second half of the series. Thomas has a good arc in the end and Daisy is still the worst (also, that wig in the finale is the worst thing the show ever did). My biggest complaint is that we never got any real closure with O'Brien.

It is still very much a soap opera hidden beneath those prim and proper British accents.

Bates kills EVERYONE.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 6, 2018

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've watched the first season of The Magicians, and I really want to like it, but some parts are just so shallow. Is it worth sticking it out for the next couple seasons?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Tsyni posted:

I've watched the first season of The Magicians, and I really want to like it, but some parts are just so shallow. Is it worth sticking it out for the next couple seasons?

I didn't like it at all, but it came highly recommended by people here so I tried sticking with it until my eyes rolled out of their sockets. If you didn't like it so far: it does not get any better in my opinion.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tsyni posted:

Lots of people here don't like the first season -- which I don't agree with, but eh, whatever -- but they think the later seasons are a lot better. I also like the later seasons, fwiw.

But I guess I can't answer your question properly without asking my own; what do you mean when you say shallow? And which parts?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 7, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its less "shallow" as it goes on in that some of the characters grow up a little and start to put their personal poo poo beneath the bigger issues. But that takes awhile to happen and they kick and scream the whole way.

These are not "likable" characters and if you don't get some kind of satisfaction from their immaturity and snarkiness I can't imagine getting through the show. It improves a bit as it goes on and has the occasional moment of glory but it never really stops being what it is when it starts, IMO. A bunch of obnoxious kids handling poo poo way too powerful and important.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Margot and Elliot are insanely likable, it's Quintin and Alice that are lame.

e: I forgot about the worst character of them all, Julia.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Margot and Elliot are selfish enough assholes that they actually call themselves selfish assholes from pretty early one. They're amusing and I enjoy watching them, but if someone's impression of S1 is that the show is "too shallow" then they're not going to be my solution for that.

Although they also are arguably the two who most "grow" through the seasons.

I mean, I think Penny kind of sums up the "appeal" of the Magicians. He's arguably one of the more "likable" or "relatable" characters. He's also a character who actively hates people and is a massive prick. For some people that might be "relatable" and "likable". That's kind of Magicians' "appeal", IMO.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 7, 2018

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Just finished watching Line of Duty, what an incredible ride. A bit clunky at some times but probably my favourite british cop drama. If you liked Luther I'd recommend giving it a shot

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love The Magicians, Margot and Elliot are great. The show is kind of trash but that's kind of it's appeal.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm halfway through Cobra Kai and omfg it is SO GOOD. It's using that 30 year old weight of memory in the best possible way. It's got just the perfect amount of nostalgia for the past, but also really digging into where those characters are now. It's so much better than it has any right to be. I was not expecting the characters to be this nuanced and complex, considering back in the day it was a much simpler hero vs. assholes setup.

E: finished it. Holy poo poo that was awesome. In terms of quality Cobra Kai is to The Karate Kid what Fury Road was to Mad Max. It was funny, clever, had lots of satisfying callbacks and some wonderful subversions of things from the past.

One of the best shows of recent years, highest possible recommendation from me. How TF is this so good?

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 8, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's from the mind that brought us the Harold and Kumar movies, so how could it have been anything but amazing?! It's my favorite new show of the year so far. By a wide margin.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm halfway through Cobra Kai and omfg it is SO GOOD. It's using that 30 year old weight of memory in the best possible way. It's got just the perfect amount of nostalgia for the past, but also really digging into where those characters are now. It's so much better than it has any right to be. I was not expecting the characters to be this nuanced and complex, considering back in the day it was a much simpler hero vs. assholes setup.

E: finished it. Holy poo poo that was awesome. In terms of quality Cobra Kai is to The Karate Kid what Fury Road was to Mad Max. It was funny, clever, had lots of satisfying callbacks and some wonderful subversions of things from the past.

One of the best shows of recent years, highest possible recommendation from me. How TF is this so good?

I am three episodes in and it is loving pitch perfect.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If I thought the first episode of Killing Eve was boring, am I likely to enjoy any following episodes?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

If I thought the first episode of Killing Eve was boring, am I likely to enjoy any following episodes?

I was hooked before the first episode was over, but I'd say give it one more before completely walking away. The second episode has a big ending.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
For what it's worth, I wasn't as tremendously impressed by Killing Eve as some. It does get quite good though, but a) I wasn't feeling it from the offset, and b) I never felt the love as massively as others did.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I was hooked before the first episode was over, but I'd say give it one more before completely walking away. The second episode has a big ending.

Are you sure you mean the second episode -- I think the third has the more notable ending.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

For what it's worth, I wasn't as tremendously impressed by Killing Eve as some. It does get quite good though, but a) I wasn't feeling it from the offset, and b) I never felt the love as massively as others did.

Are you sure you mean the second episode -- I think the third has the more notable ending.

You're almost certainly right.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Huge fan of the office but I never watched after Michael left.

Anyways, 3 episodes into season 9 and my wife and I are finding it pretty hard to keep going.

Season 8 was a letdown and now with season 9...

-Andy has turned into a dick some of the time and the rest of the time it seems like the writers just wrote his character to be like Michael, like when he stole that major customer and basically tried to roll it into the Michael Scott paper company to get his job back.

-Kevin has suddenly just become the biggest idiot in the entire world. Way more than ever before with the turtle scene.

-Looks like they’re trying to create some more drama with Jim’s potential new job and Pam buying in on it.

-Plus the two new interns which don’t really bring anything to the table.

Is there any reason to keep going?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Not really, no.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, there's some decent episodes or moments here and there, but it never like regains its glory or anything.

The Office is a weird show because there's probably like 3 or 4 natural ending points for it and while the show's still ok after all them each time it crossed one of those points it got just a little worse and never really picked back up. It never got bad IMO. I enjoyed it the whole way through. It just gradually declined with like really obvious natural points that would have made for a more graceful exit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a good episode of Community that shows how easy it is to manufacture the comedy/drama of shows like The Office.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Laterite posted:

Not really, no.

Eh, the last two episodes tie everything up really well. That last season though. It really was not good. I did like Plop and Little Dwight though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The wife and I just binged Cobra Kai over the course of a day because of this thread, and it is indeed pretty goddamn great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The finale of The Office is very good and maybe worth watching the season for if you’ve already seen the other 8 but yeah it’s not a good season. Better than s8, but barely

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Trig Discipline posted:

The wife and I just binged Cobra Kai over the course of a day because of this thread, and it is indeed pretty goddamn great.

It's such an easy show to sleep on. I mean, a YouTube exclusive sequel to a 34 year old movie that already had 3 increasingly poor movie sequels and a full-on reboot sounds like, on paper, the worst loving thing in the world. The fact that it's actually brilliant is shocking.

Biggest credit has to go to William Zabka as Johnny. One of the most pleasingly complicated portrayal of a character I've seen in ages.

Ep 9: I adored how he turns up to fight Daniel, then the wife talks them down from their macho posturing, and then they bro it up in the car over REO Speedwagon and get drunk reminiscing about the past. It would have been so easy to have them just fight and go into a full on hero vs villain ending, and 30 years ago I'm certain they would have, but instead they've gone the conflicted frenemies route and it's so loving good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

Ep 9: I adored how he turns up to fight Daniel, then the wife talks them down from their macho posturing, and then they bro it up in the car over REO Speedwagon and get drunk reminiscing about the past. It would have been so easy to have them just fight and go into a full on hero vs villain ending, and 30 years ago I'm certain they would have, but instead they've gone the conflicted frenemies route and it's so loving good.

Yeah one of the things I really liked about it is that it often stepped up to some sort of obvious plot arc and then took a sudden turn into something more interesting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Into the Badlands season 3: Blind Cannibal Assassins is just as good as it sounds.

The next two episodes were pretty bad but mostly I'm annoyed at being up to date now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

Into the Badlands season 3: Blind Cannibal Assassins is just as good as it sounds.

The next two episodes were pretty bad but mostly I'm annoyed at being up to date now.

yeah it's been fairly slow since then but i like bajie's ex-wife