Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Am I the only one constantly surprised by the lack of Dean Cox comparisons with Brodie Grundy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

snaeksikn posted:

Am I the only one constantly surprised by the lack of Dean Cox comparisons with Brodie Grundy?

I think Cox was more of an old school ruck, than Grundy who's more mobile/agile.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Spedman posted:

I think Cox was more of an old school ruck, than Grundy who's more mobile/agile.

Dean "25 possessions a game as the extra midfielder" Cox?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

It should be played during winter during the regular season. Maybe during these boring middle weeks, I don’t know. It’s a winter sport, it shouldn’t be played in summer. The people who are going to watch it will watch it anyway, and those that aren’t interested during summer might watch them as curtain raisers. This isn’t the a league, it shouldn’t have to hamstring itself to avoid the afl and nrl. Just attach the aflw to the afl for god sake, let it ride on the coat tails. Get people interested that way, and give it a finals series after a real season.

Could mid week perhaps be seen as a time for the womens footy? Games on Tues/Weds/Thurs nights or is it just overkill?

Or go back to the old days and mens is Friday/Sat and womens on Sundays?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They are part timers who don't get paid a living wage to play footy and they have to be back in their home cities for work on Monday.

So no, weekends only.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

realbez posted:

What do you think that would show to discredit that table? That is a large differential.

A disciplined team versus a team of fuckwits?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

snaeksikn posted:

Dean "25 possessions a game as the extra midfielder" Cox?

Cox averaged about 15.8 disposals a game, Sandilands goes at about 12.6, Rehn went at about 14.4, Salmon about 13.3, Primus about 12.5.

This year Grundy has been going at 21.6, and in Cox's best year (2008) he went at 22.1. In the same year of their AFL careers, (Cox 2006) he had an average of 18.95.

So in other words, I see your point.

But 25 per game is a bit of a stretch.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

A disciplined team versus a team of fuckwits?

do you think if there was a breakdown of free kick differentials available for the eagles playing home vs away that they would still maintain the same advantage across the board?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

quote:

The Herald Sun’s Sam Edmund has revealed the true extent of West Coast’s free kick advantage in Perth.

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson has launched an attack on the officiating in Western Australia, telling Fox Footy he got “really frustrated” with the decisions last Saturday night.

The Saints lost the free kick count 25-12 in the 13-point loss to the Eagles, and Edmund has explained how numbers like that aren’t unusual for travelling sides.

LISTEN to this Saturday night’s St Kilda v Sydney clash LIVE on 1116 SEN from 7:20pm AEDT with Tristan Foenander and Terry Wallace

“We have been writing this story for a while in the Herald Sun, so I went back and refreshed these stats,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“Since the start of 2011, in matches at home against interstate sides, the Eagles have lost the free kick count in 12 of 72 matches.

“They’ve won 60 of 72 free kick counts against any other side other than Fremantle at home.

“That is roughly 350 more than their next rival Port Adelaide at home.

“They’ve been a good side for most of that time, you need to acknowledge, but it’s out of whack.”

In St Kilda’s past four games against West Coast in Perth, including their most recent meeting last Saturday, the Eagles have won the free kick count 95-39.

And eagles specifically

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

realbez posted:

The people who are going to watch it will watch it anyway, and those that aren’t interested during summer might watch them as curtain raisers.

Not true for everyone. I watch a small amount of AFLW in the off season as a gap filler after cricket, but my little interest in AFLW would become zero interest if it was held at the same time as the mens.

Also if the AFLW teams often kick like 4 goals a game in summer what kind of scores will they kick in the wet in winter?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wet days might be worse but the summer heat exhausting players must be a factor

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

realbez posted:

Wet days might be worse but the summer heat exhausting players must be a factor

Also the grounds being hard as concrete due to the sun drying out the surface.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Windmill Hut posted:

Not true for everyone. I watch a small amount of AFLW in the off season as a gap filler after cricket, but my little interest in AFLW would become zero interest if it was held at the same time as the mens.

Also if the AFLW teams often kick like 4 goals a game in summer what kind of scores will they kick in the wet in winter?

Go ahead and look at some VFLW scores from this season so far... http://vfl.com.au/2018-swisse-wellness-vfl-womens/

Or, if the skill gap between best and average players in the VFLW is too large thus resulting in high scores from good AFLW players kicking goals on scrubtier defenders... wait until tomorrow when a 6 match 'AFLW winter series' kicks off between GWS North, GWS South, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-07/winter-is-coming-for-nsw-queensland-aflw-stars

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Tonight the premiers get their second friday night game if you count the traditional 1st vs. runner-up match which I’m not sure is typically on a Friday.

edit: well they have at least four more to come so I retract my sass.

edit 2: every Thursday and Friday game from this point contains at least one of Port, Richmond, Sydney, Essendon and Geelong

3: missed the Carlton vs St Kilda thriller

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 8, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Given the type of attractive footy we were playing last year it’s absolutely hosed the level of prime time exposure we got imo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

*sets up multiple committees to solve low scoring football*
*puts the highest scoring team in the league exclusively on foxtel*

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

the afl have been trying to kill off the womens comp ever since adelaide had the temerity to win the inaugural premiership

I know this was a joke, but I genuinely think they were pissed that no Victorian teams made the first grand final. Especially considering Brisbane and Crows were widely tipped to be the bottom two teams that year.

The conference idea is awful. The 20 goal square idea is awful. The last touch rule IS awful, and the idea of extending it to the men's league is even more awful. All the new ideas are awful. Just stop changing rules before you gently caress up what's left of the game.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

but if the look of the game committee comes back and says they recommend no changes everyone involved will just look stupid, so they have to recommend a bunch of stupid poo poo instead

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
If they came back and said "we need to stop forming stupid committees" and immediately disbanded they'd be hailed as heroes.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

They are part timers who don't get paid a living wage to play footy and they have to be back in their home cities for work on Monday.

So no, weekends only.

I was more meaning that if they were a winter sport they could be 100% professional playing a full season of 18+ games.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Gillon is the worst AFL CEO in living memory. The platonic ideal of an aristocrat old boy who has floated into the job and failed to do anything to improve the game

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

Gillon is the worst AFL CEO in living memory. The platonic ideal of an aristocrat old boy who has floated into the job and failed to do anything to improve the game

Counterpoint: he hasn’t actually killed any clubs yet

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Gold Coast is dead, they're just doing a Weekend at Bernie's type thing to pretend they're not

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/06/07/numbers-game-which-teams-will-rise-and-fall-in-the-second-half-of-afl-2018/

i like the bits of the article that highlight how well melbourne are doing and will use it to console myself on their inevitable implosion on monday

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Damian Barrett talking about Richmond salary cap investigations ongoing from last season, Martin and a few others under scrutiny. Could this be the most richmondy turn of events? Premiership goes to Adelaide? (No, bombers were doing it in '93 and were fine. Also vicbias. Also almost certainly hot air from Barrett)

Dare to dream though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

masterpine posted:

Damian Barrett talking about Richmond salary cap investigations ongoing from last season, Martin and a few others under scrutiny. Could this be the most richmondy turn of events? Premiership goes to Adelaide? (No, bombers were doing it in '93 and were fine. Also vicbias. Also almost certainly hot air from Barrett)

Dare to dream though.

Also the premiership wouldn’t go to Adelaide as they did not win the grand final

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also the premiership wouldn’t go to Adelaide as they did not win the grand final

I take it that the premiership just becomes a void that year? Even better. Or best if somehow awarded to the team that won the only decent game of footy during the finals series. That way my full 'WCE 2017 Premiers' face tattoo ( itself a hasty cover of my 'WCE 2015 Premiers' face tattoo after Shuey kicked that goal) will finally be relevant.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The Moral Premiership would go to Adelaide, and I reckon that's even more satisfying

We also have the 2006 Moral Premiership because West Coast got on the glass barbeque to get over the line in the prelim

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Oh look the greatest full back of the modern era is being given a bath once again

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

racing identity posted:

Funny way of saying Wayne Jackson, who did gently caress all. Plus he was a dirty disgusting non-Victorian, a South Australian to boot!

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You know who doesn’t get clowned on every time they are forced to play one on one? Daniel Talia

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

You Am I posted:

Funny way of saying Wayne Jackson, who did gently caress all. Plus he was a dirty disgusting non-Victorian, a South Australian to boot!

Guess what state the McLachlan boys are from

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I feel dirty cheering for Port

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

racing identity posted:

You know who doesn’t get clowned on every time they are forced to play one on one? Daniel Talia

Also a good half the full backs in the league too

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lynden Dunn is a better defender than Alex Rance fyi

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Go Port?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Go Port.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
contenders or pretenders or contenders or pretenders or contenders or pretenders or

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Reece Conca got stuck on Goldeneye DK mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
No Dusty no Richmond???????? Makes u fink

No it doesn't actually but thank you channel 7